Thread: Stafford or Pominville?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Stafford or Pominville?

I'm wondering if maybe I should try to only have one player from each team at the same position. For example, I have Steen and McDonald at LW. If I really have to make a choice, I'd pick McDonald over Steen fairly easily this year. However, it gets trickier when we talk about having both Pominville and Stafford at RW. Who would you go with there if you had to choose and why?
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I'd take Pominville. Stafford was impressive last year, but it was one year. Pominville is a proven producer.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Stafford for me even though Pommer is probably a better player. The concussion history scares me off fom choosing Pommer. Stafford also led the team in goals last year so he's going to get his chances on the PP. Stafford has a higher chance to remain top 6 in Buf as bait to lure over Parise, where as I could see Pommer as a cap casualty that may get traded.
    14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty -daily starts
    H2H, Salary Cap 95mil, Player actual salaries (all)
    +/-,G,A,GWG,PTS,STP,PIM,SOG,HT,BS,GAA,SO,SV,W
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Defense: Butcher, K.Russell, Pelech, Girard, Klingberg, Larsson
    Goalie: Rask, Hellebuyck
    Reserves: D.Strome, Jo.Benn, Polak, C.Crawford , M.Jones, A.Dell, Koskinen
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry
    Fantrax TAHL 2013 & 2018 Champion

Dobber Sports Genius

I would go with Pomminville. Pommy is more consistant and you pretty much know wht you are going to get from him every year. I am not too sure if Stafford can do it again. Is he a one year wonder? I think he may be. Too much risk for me to like Stafford here.
    Derek Reese - Future Hall of Famer

14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty
    H2H, Salary Cap 108 Mil, Player actual salaries
    1 Week scoring period
    G,A,PTS,GWG,PIM,SOG,STP,HT,BL,+/-,W,GAA,SV,SO
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

F - Marchand, Marner, Marchessault, Stamkos, Tuch, Comtois, Farabee, Bennett, McCann, W. Nylander, Nugent-Hopkins, Kapanen
    D - Barrie, Oleksiak, Suter, Gudbranson, Savard, Lyubushkin, Ferraro
    G - Saros, Rittich

Bench - Mittelstadt, Reimer, Roslovic, Keller, Reaves, Toews
    Prospects - Byfield, Mercer, Veleno, Chmelevski, Tippett, Comrie, Tomasino, Valimaki, Gustavsson, Wolf

Dobber Sports Ninja

That is a tough one.

I like Pominville more as a player, but like gainerama i'm not 100% sure that he'll get the opportunity to prove it. If I'm correct, Stafford-Roy-Vanek have good chemistry right? It feels to me like that's pretty much been acknowledged as the Sabres top line seeing as people have been debating Pominville vs. Boyes for the second line on the boards all summer.

I think if your league is a multi-cat league with extended cats, I'd give the edge to Pominville. More proven, and better across the board statistics. It really is a coin-flip at this point IMO though.

Edit: Ooo interesting development, just tuned into CBC and apparently Ennis-Leino-Stafford played together tonight and played well....more support for Pominville if it stays that way.
    Last edited by bondon; September 24, 2011 at 9:41 PM.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I'm not sure that I buy all the "Pominville will not have a place in the top six" talk that's gone around this site this summer. Isn't he the captain and one of the biggest fan favorites? Being paid second most among the forwards? I just can't see him not getting a lot of minutes. And then you have the emerging Stafford complicating things...
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by sentium View Post
    I'm not sure that I buy all the "Pominville will not have a place in the top six" talk that's gone around this site this summer. Isn't he the captain and one of the biggest fan favorites? Being paid second most among the forwards? I just can't see him not getting a lot of minutes. And then you have the emerging Stafford complicating things...
    The results may have diminished for Pominville, but he's still one of the team leaders in TOI and I don't see that changing. Boyes isn't reliable enough and Leino is a touch unproven. Pominville plays 18+ minutes a night in all situations.

I have him as a certain top-6 player in BUF. Maybe he outpoints Stafford, maybe not, but I think he's the safer pick here...and the gap between the two, at worst, shouldn't be much.
    10 Team [keep 10 + 4 prospects]
    Scoring F=1[g/a]; D=2[g], 1[a]; G=2[w], -1[L], 1[OT], 2[SO] Top 12 F, 6 D, 2 G count

Forwards
    Crosby, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Wheeler, Byfuglien, Hornqvist, Simmonds, Ladd, Zuccarello, Ribeiro, Desharnais, Semin, MacArthur, Moulson, Purcell, Soderberg, Dupuis
    Defense
    Keith, Goligoski, Carlson, Krug, Trouba, Streit, Pouliot, Ceci, Nurse, Martinez
    Goalie
    Fleury/Price/Rask

Dobber Sports Pro

I like Stafford on the top line, Pomminville on the 2nd line.

I'd take Stafford. He's trending upwards while Pominville has declined three years in a row.
    Ultimate Fantasy Hockey League - 2nd Place
    Teams: 12
    Players: G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,SHP,GWG,SOG,FW,HIT

Goalies: GS,W,L,GAA,SA,SV,SV%,SHO
    Pro(23) Keep(17)
    3C - Toews/Spezza/Rask/Backlund/Dubinsky(LW)
    3LW -Palat/Abdelkader(RW)/Henrique(C)/Soderberg(C)
    3RW - Simmonds/Smith(C)/Little(C)/Jenner(C)/Stafford
    6D - Doughty/Ekman-Larsson/Chara/Braun/Klingberg/Stone/Theodore
    2G - Hellybuyck/Lehner
    IR - Wisniewski/Perreault(C)/Savard/Pavelec
    Farm(10)
    C - Dvorak(LW)
    LW -Lindberg(C)
    RW -
    D - Pulock/Gustafsson
    G - Darling/Hutchinson/Condon/Ullmark//Johnson/Raanta