Thread: Need Dynasty Auction/Cap League advice

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Need Dynasty Auction/Cap League advice

Will be participating in my 1st NHL Dynasty League and it has 2 parts: 1 is a auction draft (offline) where you can bid for players and sign them for up to 3 years. The 2nd will be a 10 round prospect draft.

My question is how best to divvy up the money on the Auction: We start 3 C, 3LW, 3RW, 6 D 1 U and 2 G with 5 Bench players. What % should I be allocating to 5 areas? Any ideas?

I'm familiar with auction drafts from playing MLB and NFL but no idea on NHL planning.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Every auction I've ever done uses a high-low strategy.

Part I: Bid your a$$ off for the top players. It doesn't really bother me to overpay for a superstar... I'll explain in a bit.

Part II: If the GMs take turn calling out a player name - here's what you do: You call out a fringe player at minimum salary, say "Niklas Bergfors $1". Call out a player that you don't mind though. This throws every owner for a completely loop and they are confused. Two things will happen, and they are both WIN-WIN.

i) Nobody bids. You get him for this $1 (minimum). This is fine for you because you are only trying to create cap space for your team to achieve Part I (overbidding for superstar players). On your "turn", you will always put a $1 player up for bid. You are trying to create cap space EARLY in the draft so you can nab the superstars and watch your budget.

ii) Somebody bids. That's fine, let him go. People won't know what to think and you've essentially just reduced another team's roster spots by one... which will throw that person completely off (because they don't have the OVERBID PLAN that you do).

Here is where it pays off:
    PART III: If you have 8-10 fringe players at $1... one or two of them are going to pan out and surprise and be great keeper values in the future. If they stink, toss them in the garbage and grab a better performing waiver player. Any better performing waiver player will be better than $1 value - so if you have to swap a player... you are actually improving the value/$ of your bottom-feeders.

The flip-side is where people are paying $4 or $5 for some moderate 2nd liner - say Michael Ryder. Ryder could have an awful year... but still be better than waiver options. The team with Ryder wouldn't dump him because a waiver player isn't better. But that team also may have wasted $2 or $3. It's negative value that can not be fixed.

Special Note: This concept works assuming that all waiver players are assigned the league auction minimum value (say $1) and swapping your $1 players for waiver wires does NOT put your cap management in jeopardy. Otherwise, you could have cap problems in signing a waiver player. If a waiver player is assigned some $5 mark... then you may need to prepare yourself to trade an overpaid player so that you can fiddle with your bottom-feeders.

Long, story short - this theory may be confusing... but I have discussed and verified its value with my friends in college that were fellow mathematicians and fantasy sports fans!

Good luck.
    Last edited by Pengwin7; September 15, 2011 at 12:42 PM.

Dobber Sports Rookie

That's the general strategy for Auctions and I agree. But my question is how to divide up the money among the categories. For example, in my NFL drafts, I allocate about 70% ob my budget to offense and 30% to Defense (we use IDPs). Then of the 70%, about 1/2 is for RBS, 30% for WRs and 15% for my QB and the rest split the balance.

Should I target most of my dollars on RW? LW? C? G? any suggestions?

And this is an offline draft, I can only have bids out on 5 players at a time, when no bid is submitted in 24 hours that player is off the board. There will be many players being auctioned at the same time but I can't bid on all; just 5 at a time.