Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 2011 DobberHockey Hall of Fame - Forum Inductee

Dobber Sports Assistant Manager

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    I agree that post count doesn't (or shouldn't) count. I think more important than post count is longevity. I think Shoeless already pointed this out, but one or two great "seasons" doesn't qualify someone for the HOF, so one or two years shouldn't qualify someone for the DHHOF. For example, Pengwin and b0ndon are two of my absolute favorite posters on here, but to me they don't deserve (yet) to be seriously considered for induction simply because they haven't been around long enough. There are tons of other great contributors, like fungchen, Fzusher, HPG, JHM, and others, who've been around for a number of years and have proven over that entire time period to be quality posters around here. I have no doubt posters like Pengwin and b0ndon, if they continue what they've been doing over the last year or two, will get into the DHHOF eventually. The quality of their posts is testament to that. They just need another couple of years around here first.
    Yep, just like you know Ovechkin, Crosby, Stamkos will make it into the HoF one day. But guys like Lidstrom and Selanne will get their due first.

There are many newcomers who have been stellar additions to the forums, and will likely get their due in the form of "trophies" received from the yearly forum awards before landing a spot into the DobberHockey the Hall of Fame.
    Gates Imbeau
    DobberHockey's HHOF - 2013 Builder's Category
    Twitter: @GM_Gates

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    That probably came off overly harsh... I get it, this is a little fun to have during the dark months with no hockey. And certainly the powers that be will make some wise selections in this realm just as the judges have done in the HHOF (remember there are tons of valid members in the HHOF as well ) The whole point being, for every 3 you induct each year, you'll overlook a dozen equally worthy candidates same as the HOF, that's the main reason I think its silly which I why I voted for TequilaMonster
    Not harsh at all! If you thought about it, even in the slightest, others have as well.

I just took the opportunity to expand on a few points, that were not only brought up by you, but others in the thread.

And yes, I agree, TequilaMonster definitely deserves the highest of recognitions! haha

(Dutch is like wtf, I deserve that title!! TM came and went, I've made a career here! )
    Gates Imbeau

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GMGates View Post
    Not harsh at all! If you thought about it, even in the slightest, others have as well.
    OK cool, I just have a certain knack for speaking bluntly that often doesn't come across as it should on the internet and I definitely didn't want to offend you or the process. And I don't doubt the choices will be worthy. Its all just a bit of fun

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    I hate to be the fly in the ointment but to be honest I think this is as ridiculous as the HHOF
    I tend to agree.

That may sound hypocritical, considering I already nominated some folks....and they are deserving, those that I look up too, in fact (though not an exhaustive list).

I want to make absolutely clear I am not casting aspersions on anyone for such a sincere effort to recognize those who have made this site what it is today. Not my intention.

It's just that I've always believed that you help others for its own sake. Nothing more, nothing less. In fact that's what drew me to this site in the first place....just a bunch of guys with a common interest helping each other out.

We've always helped for the sake of helping. That's the beauty of it.

Once we start awarding one over the other (ie judging) well...that's when it gets dicey. The law of unintended consequences, as it were.

No one really has to listen to me, but consider this a word of caution s'all.
    @SmittysRant

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    Once we start awarding one over the other (ie judging) well...that's when it gets dicey. The law of unintended consequences, as it were.

No one really has to listen to me, but consider this a word of caution s'all.
    Hence why this was never a voting process. It was a no brainer to skip the rating system - for the exact reasons you mention. No need to open a can of worms!

I love the honesty in the last few posts, glad to see different view points...

However, why shouldn't DobberHockey recognize a selected few yearly? There are members in this community that do so much on and off the "ice", that is it nice to give a little appreciation. In the slightest, it is a simple way of saying "Thank You".

Yes, this act may give members an extra incentive to continually deliver great quality in their posts.

And yes, this may even validate a member who has poured countless hours helping others for the sake of helping others.

Silly, I know...

In all seriousness, the DobberHockey forums have and always will be the place to chill and help out fellow poolies - no strings attached.
    Gates Imbeau

Hence why this was never a voting process. It was a no brainer to skip the rating system - for the exact reasons you mention. No need to open a can of worms!

I love the honesty in the last few posts, glad to see different view points...

However, why shouldn't DobberHockey recognize a selected few yearly? There are members in this community that do so much on and off the "ice", that is it nice to give a little appreciation. In the slightest, it is a simple way of saying "Thank You".

Yes, this act may give members an extra incentive to continually deliver great quality in their posts.

And yes, this may even validate a member who has poured countless hours helping others for the sake of helping others.

Silly, I know...

In all seriousness, the DobberHockey forums have and always will be the place to chill and help out fellow poolies - no strings attached.
    I'm not knocking it outright, Gates. I think it's a noble effort, and I commend the attempt to recognize those that make this site (or rather those who have made this site) what it is today..

Just sayin....
    @SmittysRant

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    Just sayin....
    Of course! And as always, any and all feedback is appreciated, especially from you!

~

That said, a lot can be taken from this seven page discussion.

Thank you all for participating and voicing out - you guys rock!

Stay tuned this week as Dobber unveils the newest additions into the DH HoF!
    Gates Imbeau

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Can we get a Hall of Shame too?

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Can we get a Hall of Shame too?
    While it would definitely generate some laughs, I wouldn't touch that.

Just gives another avenue for behaviour I dont want to see on the boards
    Gates Imbeau

Dobber Sports Demi-God

While it would definitely generate some laughs, I wouldn't touch that.

Just gives another avenue for behaviour I dont want to see on the boards

I was kidding (of course).
    Just thought I'd throw a fork in this thread.

Dobber Sports Master

Congrats Fungchen!
    "We've had a couple shakers in this place. This year we haven't had the time. We had a couple good ones last year, right?" - Phil Kessel

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by TK12555 View Post
    Congrats Fungchen!
    Wow, this is crazy! I have to admit, I didn't know there was a DH HOF (hope that doesn't cost me my induction!!!) But, seriously, I just saw a tweet from TK and Shake and was like "wtf?!"

So this post is as raw as you can get. Not to sound sappy, but I am really honored. There are so many incredible posters on this forum, which is why this is BY FAR my favorite forum on the internet and I applaud Dobber, the mods, admins, and ALL of the posters that participate.

If I've ever helped someone or offered a nugget of advice that helped you win a league, I'd be thrilled. But I can guarantee you that I've gotten so much MORE from this forum than I've given... it's not even close.

I'm really honored. Thanks everyone.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

The Great One

well deserved, FC...as humble in your acceptance as you are in everything else you do. Cheers.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Well deserved fungchen!

Congrats to Angus, Bugg, Arbuthnot and the three-tier inductees as well!
    Gates Imbeau

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Congrats fung, you deserve it.