Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 2011 DobberHockey Hall of Fame - Forum Inductee

Administrator

I vote for JHM. Guys like him and Shoeless set the standard for how to post back when I was just getting into the boards. His posts are always informative and he as a total savant when it comes to salary cap leagues.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    I added a couple of thoughts to my post above. I also agree with Shoeless' first post and his criteria. Trying to leave columnists out of this category. I'm not allowed in - my rule

I have JHM, fungchen, Gates...any others? I would also consider Doulos, Zorro, Crazynuck, dyzfunctioned, Chicleteur, praba, smack, hockeyislife

Any of those grab you?
    Well I am going to have my little hissy fit about Angus being excluded from this category and get it over with.

Angus' participation on these forums predates the great day in Feb 2007 - yes, he has always been a columnist here and then later graduated into a management position, but consistently through time and not wearing either of these job hats, this guy has been here, helping people, treating them well and never once, to my knowledge, played the arrogant dick or smacked someone disrespectfully - he might not go down as a cuddly kinda guy but he has nurtured the newbies year after year, he consistently supports his recommendations with analysis (that is pretty hard to beat) - the man has been a forum rock. Take a look at his blog spot on the forums - does anyone else run theirs as interactively with forum members as he does (I think not - most others are tellers first and not askers)?

Take him away if you want Dobber, but here is one guy that says Angus belongs in the DBHHOF as a forum user, first and foremost. It's the Hall of Fame for heavens sake, not a political appointment.

Alright, rant over - on to other things.

If we look at all the values that we have talked about in terms of making someone worthy of HOF induction - it seems to me that several of the nominees are missing significant chunks. Now that doesn't mean that you don't induct someone because they are more one dimensional in their value here - lord knows that guys like Fzusher and JHM are brilliant beyond belief in analysis and feeding it into the forums. Praba would get my vote if we are putting someone in on humor, plus abundant participation. And there are several others that have singular or plural skills that rank very high. HPG does the analysis/respect thing perfectly.

But if I was going to list guys that cover the sweep and who have been here consistently and have done nothing to detract from their candidacy, my list is as follows. It is not ranked.

Metaldude, Smack, Ultrawhiteness, Fungchen, Eric Daoust, Crazynuck (gone but not forgotten for his contributions).

Now here is an issue I have - I think you put folks into the Hall because of their career not because of a couple of great seasons. Enduring quality - that's what I think my list of 6 represents - these guys care about how they treat others, they care to do due diligence in their analysis/recommendations, they don't go away for extended breaks and they jump in anywhere to lend a helping hand - and they haven't taken a dump in the forums. Give me a 4 year career of this and then you are both eligible and worthy in my mind.

Are there a whole bunch of other folks who are on a path to this list - damn rights there are, lots!

Okay, now I am really done. Thanks for listening
    Last edited by Shoeless; September 16, 2011 at 8:24 AM.

From my limited experience, in no particular order, at this particular point-in-time: HPG, Smack, Chicleteur, Dyz, Thieving Giraffe (did I butcher that spelling?), Angus. Other notables would include McGoo, Ev, Sentium.

Oh and, shoeless' alter ego, Sassy McShoe'd.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Assistant Manager

Last stretch guys - great arguments for all mentioned so far.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this discussion.

Very appreciated!
    Gates Imbeau
    DobberHockey's HHOF - 2013 Builder's Category
    Twitter: @GM_Gates

Administrator

My vote goes to HPG for the revolutionary concept that he brought to our world.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Grand Master

So when do we find out who the inductee is?

Dobber Sports Initiate

with the new specifics my vote goes to Fzusher.

he provides such detailed and informative posts that you forget sometimes he is talking fantasy hockey. He rationalizes situations that by the time you are done reading his posts a complicated decision becomes easy based on the rational provided.
    UFHP - Y! 12 GMs - 23/8 pro/farm - keep 17 + all farm
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, FW; GS, W, L, GA, GAA, SA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: Backstrom, Crosby, Little, Zetterberg, Rask
    LW: Foligno, Ehlers, Skinner, Hartnell, Jokinen, Ladd
    RW: Tarasenko, Kessel, Nash, Marner
    D: Keith, Karlsson, Klingberg, Werenski, Barrie, Manson
    G: Price, Murray, Andersen

Farm:
    C: Keller
    LW: Fiala, Heinen
    RW: Gurianov
    D: Sergachev, Beaulieu, Manning, Borowiecki
    G: Forsberg, Driedger

Dobber Sports Genius

I'm not sure exactly how this works, but the two guys that have helped me out the most have been DY and Dyz. Both have been very courteous and almost always answer my questions and have made me more informed.
    Sites: www.twitter.com/tsgraveline tsgraveline.blogspot.com thesharkremarks.blogspot.com

Team 1:10 Multi-Cat Roto league

C- Malkin,Giroux,Thornton Galchenyuk, Schenn, Berglund, Eller
    LW- Hall,Ovechkin, E.Kane Saad
    RW- Seguin, Stewart, PAP
    D- Subban,Phaneuf Keith, OEL, Hedman,
    G- Pavelec,Hiller Lindback, Theodore, Lehner

Team 2:24 H2H League Multi-Cat

C- Weiss, Galchenyuk, Desharnais, Vitale
    LW- Parise, Bailey, Torres, King, Bissonnette
    RW- Ovechkin, Clowe, Asham, Gagner
    D- Boyle, Klesla, Souray, Hjalmarsson, Niskanen, Hickey, Lovejoy, Potter
    G-Holtby, Halak

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    So when do we find out who the inductee is?
    This week, along with other Hall of Fame Inductees.

A big thank you to those who have contributed in this thread!

To all others? You still have time!
    Gates Imbeau

Banned

I hate to be the fly in the ointment but to be honest I think this is as ridiculous as the HHOF

IMO, the true greats of hockey are great because of what they do on the ice, not because of some arbitrary and biased popularity contest...why the hell aren't Pat Burns, Pavel Bure, Doug Gilmour, etc in the HOF? Simple because its bullshit. But that hardly lessens how great they were as players or their impact on the ice or the game itself.

Its he same with this Forum inductee thing, how the hell is Angus not in there? And why does post count even matter? Posts aren't like goals and assists, their value is in quality not quantity. A couple of you guys mentioned Fzusher and rightly so...he's been on these boards for a long time and I don't care if he has 300 posts or 3000 posts, I guarantee when he posts something I read it carefully and with great attention. Same goes for guys like JHM and Pengwin7 and a bunch of other guys who spend the time to craft 3 paragraphs of quality in depth analysis for even a simple question. Quality trumps quantity gentlemen

I decline all nominations and cast my vote for TequilaMonster

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    And why does post count even matter? Posts aren't like goals and assists, their value is in quality not quantity. A couple of you guys mentioned Fzusher and rightly so...he's been on these boards for a long time and I don't care if he has 300 posts or 3000 posts, I guarantee when he posts something I read it carefully and with great attention. Same goes for guys like JHM and Pengwin7 and a bunch of other guys who spend the time to craft 3 paragraphs of quality in depth analysis for even a simple question. Quality trumps quantity gentlemen
    I agree that post count doesn't (or shouldn't) count. I think more important than post count is longevity. I think Shoeless already pointed this out, but one or two great "seasons" doesn't qualify someone for the HOF, so one or two years shouldn't qualify someone for the DHHOF. For example, Pengwin and b0ndon are two of my absolute favorite posters on here, but to me they don't deserve (yet) to be seriously considered for induction simply because they haven't been around long enough. There are tons of other great contributors, like fungchen, Fzusher, HPG, JHM, and others, who've been around for a number of years and have proven over that entire time period to be quality posters around here. I have no doubt posters like Pengwin and b0ndon, if they continue what they've been doing over the last year or two, will get into the DHHOF eventually. The quality of their posts is testament to that. They just need another couple of years around here first.
    Last edited by SeaDawg; September 17, 2011 at 8:11 PM.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Monster

I am curious as to what allows a member into Dobber hall of fame. Is it just a " vote" in type of thing or certain milestones, or certain amount of specified criteria?

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    I hate to be the fly in the ointment but to be honest I think this is as ridiculous as the HHOF
    There is definitely enough to take from this argument however I'll counter a few points :

1) It is not a popularity contest, because this thread is not a voting process. All the information is gathered and taken into consideration, but just because so and so got 15 votes doesn't automatically enter him in the HoF. I am 100% confident that the member chosen will have deserved it, 300 posts or 3000 posts.

2) The DobberHockey HoF expanded last year to involve the Presidential Inductee and Builder's Inductee (along with Player's Inductee). That said, Jeff Angus will get his recognition - whether it is as the "Forum Inductee" or one of the other categories mentioned above. [Forum Inductees is new to the DobberHockey HoF this year.]

3) This statement hits a great point : "Nearly 150 (as of mid-2011) members have topped 1000 posts, all the while keeping the forum a helpful and friendly place to congregate. We could easily add 200 people to this HoF, but will instead try our very best to somehow narrow the list to three people per year."

Many of the guys mentioned here will get their moment in the HoF... in due time.

On that note, don't forget the fan-made forum nominations / awards every January :

2010 Forum Awards

2009 Forum Awards
    Last edited by GMGates; September 17, 2011 at 8:39 PM.
    Gates Imbeau

Quote Originally Posted by Shakedown View Post
    I am curious as to what allows a member into Dobber hall of fame. Is it just a " vote" in type of thing or certain milestones, or certain amount of specified criteria?
    Each category has different requirements.

This one in particular? I'll quote Dobber and Shoeless -

Dobber : "I really want to stress the "help" and "reply to newbies" and "maintain maturity and integrity" aspect of this category. The unsung heroes who offer little in the way of reporting/writing columns...but so much in the way of helping out newcomers, weighing in on fantasy issues."

Shoeless : "I guess if I was putting together a tally sheet of attributes that a DBHF Forum Inductee would score high on, they would be: 1. consistent respect for others, 2. peerless analysis, 3. consistently present, 4. nurturing/problem solving, 5. humble."

But like you often see on a job application, it benefits the Forum Inductee to have these points highlighted, but they are not restricted by them. Other factors may come into consideration as well.
    Gates Imbeau

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GMGates View Post
    There is definitely enough to take from this argument however I'll counter a few points :

1) It is not a popularity contest, because there is no voting process. All the information is gathered and taken into consideration, but just because so and so got 15 votes doesn't automatically enter him in the HoF. I am 100% confident that the member chosen will have deserved it, 300 posts or 3000.

2) The DobberHockey HoF expanded last year to involve the Presidential Inductee and Builder's Inductee (along with Player's Inductee). That said, Jeff Angus will get his recognition - whether it's the "Forum Inductee" or one of the two categories mentioned above.

3) This statement hits it right on the money : "Nearly 150 (as of mid-2011) members have topped 1000 posts, all the while keeping the forum a helpful and friendly place to congregate. We could easily add 200 people to this HoF, but will instead try our very best to somehow narrow the list to three people per year."

Many of the guys mentioned here will get their moment in the HoF... in due time.

On that note, don't forget the fan-made forum nominations / awards every January :

2010 Forum Awards

2009 Forum Awards

That probably came off overly harsh... I get it, this is a little fun to have during the dark months with no hockey. And certainly the powers that be will make some wise selections in this realm just as the judges have done in the HHOF (remember there are tons of valid members in the HHOF as well ) The whole point being, for every 3 you induct each year, you'll overlook a dozen equally worthy candidates same as the HOF, that's the main reason I think its silly which I why I voted for TequilaMonster