Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Retired - Columbus Blue Jackets

Dobber Sports Apprentice

A response with some good insight and raising an important question - "Do you consider Derek Brassard a bust?" - Personally, no. Not yet. I think he can still pan out, but needs some offensive help to shine through. He doesn't have the deepest pool of talent to which he can try and find chemistry. It'll be another two full seasons of his continued play before I call him a bust.
    GMHL Dynasty
    14 Team H2H 27-Pro/20-Farm
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 7BN, 4IR+
    G, A, PTS, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG,SOG, HITS, BLKS, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: Mike Ribeiro, Patrik Elias, Tyler Johnson, Stephen Weiss, Steve Ott, Jarret Stoll
    LW: Gabriel Landeskog, Mats Zuccarello, Marcus Johansson, RJ Umberger, Matt Cooke, Justin Abdelkader
    RW: Troy Brouwer, Daniel Alfredsson, Erik Cole, Shane Doan, Jackob Silfverberg
    D: Dustin Byfuglien, Brent Seabrook, Joni Pitkanen, Erik Gudbranson, Matt Carle, Dmitri Orlov, Seth Jones, Hampus Lindholm
    G: Henrik Lundqvist, Anton Khudobin, Jason LaBarbera, Devan Dubnyk, Anders Lindback

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I agree TwoPuckCanuck on Brassard. I was just making the point that most guys from the 2006 Draft class our either cemented in various roles or busts with Brassard as an exception since I feel the verdict is still out on him. I feel he will work out too just taking longer.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Cody Goloubef & Will Weber

Intro

While much of the attention for Columbus's defensive prospects goes to John Moore and David Savard, Goloubef and Weber are also players that are certainly worth noting.

Goloubef

Goloubef's collegiate stats are not that awe inspiring for a guy who is highly regarded for his good yet accountable offensive potential and vision. However it is pretty understandable once you factor in that he had to compete for time with the likes of Brendan Smith (DET), Ryan McDonagh (NYR), Jake Gardiner (TOR), Justin Schultz (ANH) and John Ramage (CGY).

He is one of those guys that fantasy GMs should like since he has good reports on him and potentially good all-round and offensive skills. Even though Wisconsin was a fabulous team for Goloubef to be a part of it may have made him into more of a sleeper than he wanted to be. The fact that the most obvious characteristics of assessment, stats are not amazing for Goloubef is partly why he is easier to get than Moore or Savard. Long-term though, Goloubef has the same rating on Hockey's Future (Spring 2011) at a 7.5 C as the other two.

Certainly, he needs to have a better year in his second professional season with the AHL's Springfield Falcons with his minus-12 and his 17 points in 50 games is an average at best start to his pro career. All the same, he is a long-term guy with well above average potential and he is the type of player an adjustment could be harder than even most NCAA players since, he had to compete for ice time like few quality NHL collegiate prospects have to do these days as upperclassmen.

Moore and Savard deserve at this point in their careers to be considered ahead of Goloubef because they are closer and have been more prolific on the stat sheets. He is likely a year or two away and needs to start translating high praise and potential into sustained results to get a realistic shot at a full-time NHL spot. Goloubef is worth a later pick (what a late pick means varies by league of course) as he can be a real steal moving forward and at the worst is a relatively marginal lose if he does not work out, assuming he is acquired for a reasonable price in your fantasy league.

Will Weber

Weber and Goloubef are both NCAA products in the Blue Jacket's system that is pretty much where the similarities end. Weber is listed at 6'4'' and even though it was his all-round ability with some offensive upside that made him a second round pick by Columbus back in 2007, he projects primarily as a defensive defenseman. At Miami University of Ohio Weber has developed is considered one of the best shut-down rearguards in collegiate hockey.

Columbus could use a shut-down guy of Weber's quality considering most of the defensive corp and D prospects are offensive or all-round guys potentially. Teams often benefit from having a player or two focused primarily on just the defensive responsibilities. Nearly every successful NHL team has one with their importance maybe underlined by the fact that the high-octane offensive of Penguins haven't had the same sort of playoff results since letting Rob Scuderi and Hall Gill walk after their Stanley Cup championship in 2009.

However if your league does not count hits, block shots or most of the non-offensive related statistics, Weber does not appear to have much value no matter how much "real life" NHL value he has. He is a few years away most likely. He could be closer depending on how the current group does and if Weber's game can translate to AHL play.

My Schedule

Next up, Mayorov and Straka as promised.

I am done with work for the summer and will have a few days to pack before I head back to college. I plan to be writing more often with a day with two posts some time between Thursday and Saturday. I likely will be writing regularly at the start of the week and once classes start expect a post at least every few days.
    Last edited by guthey; August 26, 2011 at 2:22 PM.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Maksim Mayorov & Petr Straka

Mayorov

There was a time not too long ago when Mayorov and Filatov were the hot commodities of the Blue Jacket's AHL affiliate at the time, the Syracuse Crunch. In case you missed it the Filatov saga has ended in Columbus in complete failure outside of that third round pick the Blue Jackets received in return from the Ottawa Senators. However, Mayorov continues to carry on the torch of an underachieving Columbus prospect from Russia that frustrates with his inability to take the next step.

I am not going to blame the management or the players completely for these issues on either the players or the figures responsible for their development. I imagine that it seems that a mixture of both sides played a party in this disaster. Young players cannot coach themselves and coaches cannot coach players that don't play. I feel that while both sides would politely accuse the other side with accounts that back up either argument. Mayorov and Filatov both have been criticized for their general work ethic and unwillingness to play a game that is defensively reasonable to a Hitchcockian or Arnielian style of play. They don't do many of the small things that these two coaches in particular like strong forechecking and backchecking. Instead, the two Russians have been known to wait for someone else to do that for them and then expect just to play the offensive part of the game. News flash to all players who think you can do that at the NHL level: No one is a designated hitter in pro hockey. You have do more than show up to play offense.

Specifically looking at the statistical breakdown of Mayorov, it is true that his AHL stats have improved each season-- by one point mind you. He is now up to 33 AHL points on the year and in his three professional North American seasons he has also added one NHL goal. He is hardly growing if at all and the stats definitely reflect that fact.

There are a few ways this can play out for Mayorov at this point in his career. He is undoubtedly a liability to bolt for the KHL after these frustrations in North America so any potential trades will be come at a price cheaper than your used car salesmen's offers to the tune of: "6th round draft pick for Mayorov?! You'd never belief these kinds of deals a few years ago! Just ring GM Scott Howson and get a Maksim budget deal you may always want to forget."

On the serious analyst side of things again there is the possibility that he plays well and gets a one last gasp to make an NHL impact (or increase his trade value) this year. He has some excellent offensive tools so it isn't impossible. I would like to think maybe he could pull it off but if I had to guess I would say after a body of work of three years, he won't change.

Straka

Trying to avoid the legacy of the above mentioned Russians is Czech QMJHL import, Petr Straka. Straka was picked in the 2nd round of 2010 and his first season in the Q was a success. Straka posted slightly above a point-per-game pace in both the regular season and the playoffs. However, his second year with Rimouski Oceanic saw him only tally 25 points in 41 regular season games.

He has plenty of skill but he runs the peril of an almost strictly offensive forward that have been ill-fated so far for the Blue Jackets. However has horrible as it sounds it is probably good that he won't be in the hands of the Blue Jackets minor teams since their track record of cultivating forward talent is currently less than stellar. The best players for the Blue Jackets over the years have been brought directly into the NHL or even more commonly acquired from other NHL teams. If you look at the current roster most of the players are the products of other teams: Umberger (Philadelphia), Vermette (Ottawa), Huselius (Calgary), Carter (Philadelphia) and Wisniewski (various teams) to name a few. Even poster boy Rick Nash jumped straight from the London Knights (OHL) to the NHL game. Top prospect Ryan Johansen also has only played in the WHL thus far in his young career. It is a combination of Columbus' simply lack of faith in their own organization and the results they've had with growing prospects themselves thus far.

Straka's chances are much better to rebound in junior is the belief I have. If he can do that he puts himself back on the map as a good prospect. If not he will be quickly forgotten as another inconsistent injury-plagued prospect the hometown fans never saw in Columbus.

Updated Schedule

Not sure how much time I will have now that I look at it. Might be a slow weekend from me. Definitely will have posts early next week.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Ryan Johansen

In all fairness to Johansen, I probably should have given him the respect he deserves and made a post about him before now. His statistics with the Portland Winterhawks were good in his draft year (09-10) but they truly were ascendant last season with 92 points in 63 regular season games and 28 points in 20 postseason games. His production is quite impressive even though he was already drafted especially considering that it wasn't until July 31 that he turned 19. He almost certainly has matched all reasonable expectations set for him thus far if not beaten them.

Far from an offense-only forward, Johansen is a reliable defender typically but make no mistake it is his elite vision and offensive tools that make him so intriguing. He has good height at 6'3'' but could stand to add some muscle but it is pretty minor thing to improve upon.

Johansen is an unique prospect for the Blue Jackets since he has done what so few top picks by the organization outside of Rick Nash have done: keep if not improve after being drafted. He still has strides to make to be a success story at the level of Rick Nash (he has to make the NHL roster and produce namely). However, in terms of a prospect with Columbus, Johansen is on an island.

Outlook for this year

Columbus appears to finally have some scoring depth added to their roster with a mixture of veterans and younger players joining the fold. The acquisition of Jeff Carter did hurt Johansen's chances a bit and Coach Arniel already has said that he doesn't plan to test him out on the wing.

"Probably not. Keeping him around as a spare right winger is not going to help him develop. Before we made the [Jeff] Carter trade he was going to be our future in the middle of the ice," said Arniel (Source: Puck-Rakers Blog, 08/26/11).

The Blue Jackets are filled to the brim with skaters that have spent time as centers right now with Umberger, Brassard, Vermette, Pahlsson, and Carter. It quite likely that one or two of the current centers will play on the wings which could give Johansen all the wiggle room he needs to get one of the center roster spots.

It truly isn't the end of Johansen if he doesn't stick with the Blue Jackets this year considering the situation. Purely because of a new elite talent like Carter joining the mix could force Johansen off the roster but the way that he plays I like his chances to make it this year. Whenever he does get his spot with the big club, because of the forward depth I wouldn't expect amazing numbers like so many deservedly expect of him. His first year, barring injury to top line scorers, will likely be spent on the bottom scoring line with occasional powerplay time at best. However, Johansen's play even in a limited role like that could give Arniel no choice but to let the kid get more opportunities to showcase his top-notch skills.

Fantasy Projections for Johansen

Johansen is hard to gauge because injuries, what line he is on and his great upside.

For now here are my best guesses

Short-term (if he makes the NHL roster)- 20-35 points

Long-term- 60-80 points

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default NEWS: Fedor's Feast of an Extension

I honestly didn't think much news would come out of Columbus at least until camp started but alas the Fedor Tyutin extension extravaganza has forced my hand to type.

I like many I have talked to am not a fan of Tyutin's 6-year contract that has an annual cap hit of $4.5. The only person from a fantasy or Blue Jacket fan perspective that likes it is Fedor Tyutin since he basically just "made bank."

It isn't that Tyutin is a bad player but at 28-years-old, it is doubtful that the Russian rearguard will be anything more than an average big minute D-man. Sure he had two seasons with point totals in the low 30s before last year when he ended with 27 points. However is a guy that has a -12 and is known to make mental lapses that hurt worth the kind of cash he got from the suddenly "spend-first-ask-questions-later" Columbus management? A better question is does it make sense to give him six years at that price? The answer in my mind is a resounding "no."

Tyutin's role has presumably been diminished by the signing of James Wisniewski but the true issue this small shocker of what appears to be in-house patronage to me is that this really hurts Moore and Savard's development at some point. It doesn't change their chances too much this year although I speculate that maybe there is the off-chance that GM Scott Howson has bigger plans for Tyutin's role but based off what I have seen it is doubtful that even if he has grand plans for Tyutin, they likely won't work out because of the defender's inconsistent play.

Returning to Moore and Savard while this extension may be inconsequential for this upcoming season since Moore/Savard likely would not have that big of a role even if they make the team. However having three million locked up in another so-so defender with Methot and with this signing that is $7.5 eaten up by two defenders I don't think many are high on. If you also want to factor in $5.5 through 2016-2017 locked up with Wisniewski there won't too much money left for Russell, Moore and Savard assuming at least one of them develops well.

If anything this signing limits the amount Columbus can spend on other talent either internal to the organization or external. In conclusion, I feel money could have been spent better.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Prospect Update

Intro

First before I get to the content of the post, I want to apologize for taking a while to write a new piece. I've been pretty busy with the start of school and frankly not too much has happened regarding Blue Jackets news. However it will be easier for me write stories from here on out as we approach the beginning of the NHL and fantasy season. I will write more frequently and try my best to manage my work to keep you all more or less up to date.

Prospect Update

As some of you may or may not know the Blue Jackets sent a team of prospects to the Traverse City hosted by the Red Wings. Here is a an overview of the combined stats in the last two Blue Jackets games that were against the Sabres and the Red Wings. I only include the players' stats that I think are noteworthy:

Defenders

John Moore
    0 Points
    -2 rating

A bit disappointing for Moore considering he is considered to be one of the candidates to potentially win an NHL job on Columbus' blue line. He has a -3 in the the 6-3 loss to Buffalo and had a +1 in the 7-3 win over Detroit. In general, beyond the lack of points it shows he was not on the ice when the team was executing offensively and with how David Savard has preformed overall that could be a problem for Moore's chances.

David Savard
    1 Goal/ 4 Assists
    +2 rating

The showing thus far for Savard fits along with the opinion many have developed recently that Savard has passed John Moore in terms of where they are at in their development and how much either of them can contribute to an NHL squad. He has been a real offensive spark plug and that can't be ignored especially Columbus rarely has players that qualify as one.

I think this will certainly give him a longer look and if he can improve his defensive play quickly he might make the team as a 2nd PP guy and a lower pairing even strength defender. In any case it is a great sign for Savard owners to see him playing out some of the hype even if it is just against prospects.

Cody Goloubef
    1 Goal/ 1 Assist
    +2 rating

Goloubef has played solidly so far with the type of consistency one can expect from a player who has played some AHL games and a long NCAA career.

However it might not be enough to win a spot but it reinforces the characterizations of his playing style that contributes at both ends of the ice. However it is his consistency that should not be underrated considering the system Columbus employs. I would not say that his chances are better than Savard because the Blue Jackets might take more of a chance on the offensive Savard since they have been taking more risks to generate offense as of late off-ice. However if the Blue Jackets play it to either old book, Goloubef's play fits what they like more so than some teams. I still expect Goloubef to start in the AHL and get some call-ups depending on how things work out on the NHL roster.

Forwards

Petr Straka
    0 Points
    -4 rating

Definitely would have helped Straka alot to demonstrate some positives but it is hard for younger players some times to adjust to other prospects who are much more confident as well as experienced. His -4 rating is a blow but maybe just as harmful is the lack of points or even shots. Straka had just two shots which is not good for a forward that is generally offensive. Straka has the benefit of time on his side as a junior player but still this does not help. If things do not go well in the QMJHL this year, he could be out of luck in Columbus.

Tomas Kubalik
    1 Goal/ 2 Assists
    +3 rating

Kubalik is one of the skaters that because of his AHL experience, playing style and general size would dominate an opposing prospect team. In his game against Buffalo he was held to just a +1 rating and no shots on goal. However against Detroit, Kubalik tallied three points.

He is the kind of player Columbus' brass ought to love considering he is working hard and usually having an impact even if he isn't recording points. The trait that sets Kubalik a part though from a checker is that he also does find ways to get points. He has a very good chance to make the NHL roster but does have some competition. He needed a night like he had against Detroit. If Kubalik can also have more regular nights with a point or two or at least a few three or four point nights that will only better his chances.

Ryan Johansen
    1 Goal/ 3 Assists
    +2 rating

In my opinion Johansen's stats are more impressive than Kubalik's because of the context he recorded them. He had two assists and a +1 rating despite his team losing to the Sabres 3-6. He again recorded two points (a goal and an assist) in his team's 7-3 offensive outburst against Detroit. He showed he can consistently make an impact even when the rest of the team is struggling, which is a great sign for a player viewed as a potential catalyst some day.

Cameron Atkinson
    1 Goal/ 2 Assists
    +4 rating

Atkinson also managed to generate a goal and a +1 rating in the loss to Buffalo and had two assists in the win over the Red Wings. His +4 rating is a great sign considering he is under-sized but the two opposing team's failed to regularly victimize this advantage. Atkinson works hard everywhere on the ice and it shows on the stat sheet. Atkinson's chances are strong too to make the NHL team.

Conclusion

The amount of competition even if it is just in early prospect exhibition games shows promise for the Blue Jackets as a whole and will benefit all the future NHLers long-term even if it holds them back short-term. We'll see how they do against other prospects teams and see if they can translate it against actual NHL players later on.

Dobber Sports Ace

Hi

Would you be able to give me some thoughts on Matt Calvert. I have seen reports where he is pegged in anywhere from the first line to the fourth line. There seems to be quite a few possible combinations with the CLB players this year.
    12 Team H2H keeper league
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, Hits, GWG & SOG. W, GAA, SV% & SHO
    Daily changes, Start: 3C 3LW 3RW 6D 1F 2W 2G - 10 Bench

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Yeah absolutely you'll hear more about Calvert. I plan on following the Blue Jacket games tonight and reporting on them. Check back later.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by guthey View Post
    Yeah absolutely you'll hear more about Calvert. I plan on following the Blue Jacket games tonight and reporting on them. Check back later.
    Thanks Guthey, I appreciate your time.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Preseason Opener(s) Recap

The Ugly- 1-6 Loss

The split squad games were two very different games and in terms of talent I would not say that either of the Blue Jacket rosters were all that lacking. Both the team sent to Winnipeg and the one that stayed at home were pretty balanced. However, the same can not really be said about their Jet opponents. The team that played in Winnipeg was full of Jet regulars like Dustin Byfuglien, Alex Burmistrov, Andrew Ladd, Nik Antropov, Ondrej Pavelec and newcomer Mark Scheifele. The only marquee name that the Jets sent to Columbus was Evander Kane. The Blue Jackets did not play either Jeff Carter or Rick Nash.

So considering the goalie matchup was Curtis Sanford for the Blue Jackets versus Ondrej Pavelec for the Jets, it could've been worse in Winnipeg. However even in that game there are positives. Just as was noted in the prospects games, Ryan Johansen stills finds a way to help his team and get on the stat sheet even if the rest of the team is woefully in disrepair. His whole line should be commended for coming out with +1 ratings (Johansen, A. Giroux, D. MacKenzie). The fact that he could generate a goal against a pretty much regular season Jets' roster with players that typically would be considered lower lines players is also impressive.

The other players that were intended to lead the Blue Jackets probably were Derick Brassard (-4), Kris Russell (-1), Matt Calvert (-2), and Grant Clitsome (-3). In a preseason game anything under a -3 rating doesn't worry me that much for a somewhat established player since I doubt the coaches will generally bat an eye. However the lack of offensive production AND all the minus ratings from these players is a bit disappointing. None of these players will lose a job over the preseason unless others really shine but, they certainly did not help their causes. It is not just Brassard's bad minus rating but the experiment to see what he could do without Nash, Carter, or many of the offensive catalysts particularly failed. It might mean he gets shifted to the wing or needs to always play with better players.

This game also did not do wonders for Curtis Sanford. Even though he hasn't played an awful lot of NHL games recently it makes it easier for Mark Dekanich to cement himself in the roster.

The Good- 5-1 Win

Whereas in the other game the Jets players that produced were pretty predictable, led by the Scheifele Show, the Columbus win was a team effort spread out with some pleasant surprises.

First off, neither Blue Jackets roster had alot of firepower packed into them without the stars but this one had a much better defense and goaltender starring John Moore, David Savard, James Wisniewski, and Dekanich. On top of that Umberger and Vermette predictably stepped up when Brassard did not. Boone Jenner also looked good. Savard was held in check which is a mild shock considering how he was lighting up the prospect competition. The greatest revelation was Maksim Mayorov who many have left for dead in the water showed some life with a goal and an assist. Mayorov generally looked dangerous offensively especially with the puck. It is an encouraging sign from the struggling Russian prospect just as he might be running out of time in Columbus.

It might not be completely fair to compare the two performances but the possibility for the team that traveled to Winnipeg to prove something would have been huge for all on that roster. The missed opportunity hurts but is not fatal to anyone's chances of those who has a realistic shot to make the NHL roster.

Schedule

I'll be posting a special on Calvert later today most likely as requested. I also will keep tabs on what happens as the regular season gets closer.
    Last edited by guthey; September 21, 2011 at 12:16 PM.

Dobber Sports Ace

Top recap, thanks Guthey.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Matt Calvert

Calvert is one of those players whose performance has been questioned and discounted because of his height and also the talented players he played with in junior. Sometimes poolies and hockey writers get stuck on some small bit of information or feature that overshadows what the things that are actually important at the end of the day.

Naysayers will point to Calvert's diminutive size (5'9'' and 164 lbs.) and the fact that the Brandon Wheat Kings (WHL) were quite an impressive team when he played there with star, Brayden Schenn. Supporters will point to his immediate success as a call-up but might overlook the silence in point production for the last few weeks of the season.

Calvert is neither a lock nor is he purely just hype. Calvert needs to play well in the preseason to make sure Kubalik, Atkinson or a dark horse do not take his spot. His roster spot is one of the most vulnerable ones amongst the Columbus lineup and that should not be forgotten.

Here are things he did prove: he has the hard work and hustle scouts raved about, his play was generally made an impact in various roles, his shot is very good and his speed is pretty good but not fantastic. He could be anything from a Theo Fleury to a third line winger that can score on occasion.

I am quite confident that at some point this season if not from the get-go, Calvert will get his shot either from injuries or just out-preforming/working others. However, what Calvert needs to prove is that he won't get worn down and can be consistent. His style of play and size make each game quite demanding physically and mentally. He has to be able to adjust some of the things he does to keep opponents on their toes, because opponents were reading where he was trying to take the play as the season went on.

A lot of uncertainty still surrounds Calvert but he has the tools both in his natural hockey talent and demeanor to really thrive; how it all translates remains to be seen.
    Last edited by guthey; September 21, 2011 at 3:25 PM.
    Dobber Hockey Columbus Blue Jackets Forum Writer

Co-Commish of DTDL and UNFHL

Member of UHL, UDHL and LOFHL

http://twitter.com/#!/GGuthe

Dobber Sports Ace

Thanks Guthey, that was an interesting write up. You kind of confirmed what i'm hearing, he has all the tools but his height could go against him if he isn't performing week in week out.

Rep to you sir for taking the time to do the requested write up.

Dobber Sports Star

Any word on the severity of Kubalik's concussion???
    [color=#008000]24 Team / 3 Tier Roto League
    G|A|+/-|PIM|PPP|SOG|Hits|BS
    W|GAA|SV

Tier 1
    C: Tavares, Duchene, JStaal, Marner, Grigorenko, Dubois, Barzal
    LW: Landeskog, Teravainen, Pearson, Wilson, Pulkkinen, Bittner
    RW: PKane, Gaborik, Virtanen, Rantanen, Stewart, Sprong, Chiasson, Vey
    D: OEL, Barrie, Bogosian, Larsson, McNabb, Oduya, Bigras
    G: Bobrovsky, Korpisalo, Hutton, Hellberg