Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Score Forecaster 2011

The Great One

THN is by FAR the worst! Ive been saying this every year- lmao!

They certainly cover the shallowest player pool but what is more infuriating is the player profiles. Those vague half cogent one liners read more like fortune cookies than anything else. If you have benn at 46- thats fine- I dont agree but thats not what bugs me. Its that they dont give you any of their analytical data, outline his scoring trends, talk about his junior numbers, breakdown his playing style or even mention what his upside might be. At the very very least you can explain why you have such a contrarian low forecast for him.

But they dont and thats why its worthless.

Projections are great but its not nearly enough. You can get projections for free at a dozen different reputable websites. Chances are the site that runs your pool has some halfway credible projections of their own. The meat an potatoes of a good guide is illuminating why a guy has the ability to step outside their projections. Explain why a guy might break out or slump, why he has more of a penchant for injury, why he fits a certain teams system better, or how he performed best last year when slotted in a certain role. Guys you might not draft but should be watching- those 35 guys that might make a move up the ladder- sleepers, darkhorses. Its like they get their stats guru to make the projections, commision a few actual pool experts to fill out out with a couple articles (see the backpage of any THN guide for about the only credible info in the whole thing- there ya go dobbs!) and then they send Proteau to the strip club where he writes halfway witty, semi lucid zingers about the player on buffalo wing stained napkins- without even trying to explain why a guy is projected in a certain light.

Dobber, McKeens and even the forecaster are light years better in this regard so it makes zero sense imho to drop even one cent on this rag. With all the free info available to poolies these days its almost insulting that they dont even try to elaborate on their views Maybe insulting is taking it a little to personally but at the very least its just downright lazy and its embarassing that an otherwise quality magazine is just cashing in on its name in this relatively new market.

I pity the poolie who buys this- no offense guys!

FOOTNOTE:

Dobber number one- (obviously)
    McKeens- Almost equally as informative as dobbs and you have to love the in depth scouting notes on almost every player as a hockey nut. You could really just get by with these two.
    Forecaster- pretty solid- lots of juicy sleepers- still debating if Im gonna grab it this year.
    Poolers guide (is that what its called?)- Garbage
    THN- Garbage but with the stink of shame on it- so even stinkier garbage...
    Last edited by Fighting_Emu; August 12, 2011 at 6:05 PM.

Dobber Sports Genius

Last year I decided to try THN for a change, after buying the Forecaster for about 5 years straight. Wow, what a disappointment. Like Emu says, the projections are one thing (I actually thought they were reasonable last year, overall), but there really is zero depth. Serves me right for picking it up, I suppose. Lesson learned. I ended up buying the Forecaster, anyway, just to have something of quality to leaf through as the season progressed (along with Dobber's guide, of course).

I'm encouraged to hear that Mckeen's is so solid. I've been curious about it for a while, and I'm tempted to pick that one up this year, but I worry that I'll just want to go back to the Forecaster again, anyway. I already buy Dobber's and I don't really care to buy 3 guides again this year...

Anyone know when the Forecaster and McKeen's guides will be out on shelves in Canada? I think the Forecaster tends to come out first, but I'd love to check out McKeen's along side it before I pick one up.

The Great One

Forecaster is out where I am- Thunder Bay, Ontario. Not sure when McKeens comes out- hopefully soon. I kind of prefer McKeens but you cant fault the forecaster- always a solid read.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeFilly View Post
    Last year I decided to try THN for a change, after buying the Forecaster for about 5 years straight. Wow, what a disappointment. Like Emu says, the projections are one thing (I actually thought they were reasonable last year, overall), but there really is zero depth. Serves me right for picking it up, I suppose. Lesson learned. I ended up buying the Forecaster, anyway, just to have something of quality to leaf through as the season progressed (along with Dobber's guide, of course).

I'm encouraged to hear that Mckeen's is so solid. I've been curious about it for a while, and I'm tempted to pick that one up this year, but I worry that I'll just want to go back to the Forecaster again, anyway. I already buy Dobber's and I don't really care to buy 3 guides again this year...

Anyone know when the Forecaster and McKeen's guides will be out on shelves in Canada? I think the Forecaster tends to come out first, but I'd love to check out McKeen's along side it before I pick one up.

According to the XML website, the Forecaster is on shelves in Canada on August 15th, but you can get it now on Amazon - I've already got it through Amazon in the US, 2-day delivery. McKeen's is late this year, read a tweet from one of the contributors mentioning that it wouldn't be issued until early September.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Ace

I say the THN is a great gift to the competitors of my leagues.
    Team 1:
    10 Team Keeper, keep 16.
    Cat: +/-, PIMs, G, A, Pts, STG (PPG+SHG), GAA, SPct, W
    Roto, No Max games, weekly lineups - 12F, 6D, 4G - 6 bench

F: Benn, Bennett, Crosby, Hughes, Keller, Kopitar, Lindolm, Perron, Schmalts, Stephenson, Tavares, Thompson
    Bench - Lafreniere, Roslovic, Schenn

D: Chabot, Dahlin, Josi, Hronek, Morrissey, Schenn
    Bench - Sandin

G: F. Copley, Gustavsson, Skinner, Sorokin
    Bench: Merzlikins, Petersen, Andersen (IR)

Dobber Sports Master

GMs in my pool bring THN to our auction draft. Needless to say, I've never bought it lol. These predictions are awful.
    "We've had a couple shakers in this place. This year we haven't had the time. We had a couple good ones last year, right?" - Phil Kessel

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I'm in Vancouver and have seen the THN guide for about a week now. I refuse to buy it and just make mental notes of any drastically low or high point projections. Datsyuk getting 70pts in 80 games. That's pretty low. They also have Duchene getting 86pts. Yikes! Possible yes, but not likely.

I was able to pick up the forecaster today. It's still pretty solid, but a majority of the projections look a little plump. For you Benn owners, you can breath a sigh of relief, as he's projected at 72 pts.

other plump noteables:

Ryan - 88pts
    Koivu - 80 pts
    Hossa - 80 pts
    Berglund - 70 pts
    Kronwall - 59 pts
    Pietrangelo - 58 pts
    Crawford - 41wins, 6 SO

Skinny Noteables:

Skinner - 52 pts
    Luongo 24 wins, 3 SO

I don't think McKeen's is out till early September. It's the last one on the shelves.

Dobber Sports Legend

Yeah, I picked up the Forecaster and THN last night. Plenty of ups-and-downs in these rags but I use them as beach material and mental food.

The Forecaster lost me when they listed Mika Zibanejad as "Mike Zibanejad, age: 28". THN was no different, where early on in the mag they listed Mike Green in the "Buyer Beware" section - then I turn to his projection and it's "73 points", which places him tops among D.

THN did this again with Jeff Skinner - listed him in Buyer Beware with this editorial: "Jeff Skinner caught everyone by surprise. It won't happen again and he'll be more of a checking target." Then I turn to his projection and they have him bumped up to "69 points."

It's sloppiness and inconsistencies that really irk me lol. I know that type-o's exist and the like, but if your mag drops once per year, for the love of God get it right man. And, no excuse for THN to have contradictory messages - that's a credibility killer right there.

Here are some of the biggest discrepancies between the two:

1. Erik Johnson
    THN: 41
    Forecaster: 53
    (12 pt. swing)

2. Eric Staal
    THN: 75
    Forecaster: 85
    (10 pt. swing)

3. Jeff Skinner
    THN: 69
    Forecaster: 52
    (17 pt. swing)

4. Alex Goligoski
    TNH: 41
    Forecaster: 56
    (15 pt. swing)

5. Bobby Ryan:
    TNH: 77
    Forecaster: 88
    (10 pt. swing)

6. Lubomir Visnovsky
    TNH: 58
    Forecaster: 49
    (9 pt. swing)

7. Cam Fowler
    TNH: 41
    Forecaster: 55
    (14 pt. swing)

8. Anton Babchuk
    TNH: 28
    Forecaster: 41
    (13 pt. swing)

9. Marion Hossa
    TNH: 64
    Forecaster: 80
    (16 pt. swing)

10. James Wisniewski
    TNH: 51
    (10 pt. swing)

11. Jamie Benn
    TNH: 46
    Forecaster: 72
    (26 pt. swing - someone is going to look awful here)

12. Niklas Kronwall
    THN: 47
    Forecaster: 59
    (12 pt. swing)

13. Andrei Markov
    TNH: 53
    (12 pt. swing)

14. Sidney Crosby
    TNH: 117
    Forecaster: 104
    (13 pt. swing)

15. Patrik Berglund
    THN: 41
    Forecaster: 70
    (29 pt. swing - again, someone is going to look awful here)

16. Dan Boyle
    THN: 56
    Forecaster: 45
    (11 pt. swing)

17. Dustin Byfuglien
    THN: 40
    Forecaster: 59
    (19 pt. swing)

18. Roberto Luongo
    THN: 38 W
    Forecaster: 24 W
    (14 W swing)
    Last edited by fungchen3; August 13, 2011 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Roberto Luongo 14 swing in W
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

The Great One

thanks for those comparisons, fungchen. As a Berglund and Benn owner, I'm nervous.

I think Dobber (who so happens to be in the middle of those two guides with his Benn/Berglund projections) is probably correct.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Forecaster is a great read. I love it. As for on line version or availability in US, they are on fb and twitter and there are some Q/A for that
    https://www.facebook.com/SportsForecaster

THN guide book does suck and its niche is it's out first.
    Obviously Dobber and Forecaster are great, Dobber writes for both!

I have become a big fan of Mckeens now and after having met Gus katsaros (I also recommend following Gus on twitter @KatsHockey )who writes for it I am convinced it's the best. I love the detailed scouting reports on each player. pure gold.

An inexpensive online guide that is available that I helped create is at
    http://fantasyhockeycoach.com/

They are all fun reads and it is a great idea to use two or three different guides and all the free online info you can gather to help make the most informed and prepared decisions.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

BTW all you Benn owners out there, I honestly think 80 points is within grasp!

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by pharling View Post
    BTW all you Benn owners out there, I honestly think 80 points is within grasp!
    Yep, Benn is going to be just fine. If he's healthy, he's scoring no less than 65 points next year.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    THN did this again with Jeff Skinner - listed him in Buyer Beware with this editorial: "Jeff Skinner caught everyone by surprise. It won't happen again and he'll be more of a checking target." Then I turn to his projection and they have him bumped up to "69 points."

It's sloppiness and inconsistencies that really irk me lol. I know that type-o's exist and the like, but if your mag drops once per year, for the love of God get it right man. And, no excuse for THN to have contradictory messages - that's a credibility killer right there.
    You see it in Dobber's guide as well, read the 20 players to avoid on draft day and check thier projections. It happens because a magizine isn't put together by one person.

Honestly, I dont think THN is that bad with their projections. I don't agree with all projections but your not gonna find a magizine that you will agree with all.

No guide is perfect. I think all guides can be alot better for example in Dobber add the goals of all players of the St.louis Blues. It adds up to 290, that is 50 more goals then they scored last season and 28 more goals then the highest scroing team last year.

My problem with all pool guides (with the exception of Mckeens, ive yet to purhcase it) is that they don't look at the projections from a team scale enough. They don't take into account when player a,b, and c see big increases someone has to see an equal decrease. They do it for some players but not nearly enough.

Dobber Sports Ace

This thread definitely underlines the key point that you simply cannot grab a single forecaster magazine and use it as gospel, and that goes for Dobber's as well.

Do your due diligence heading into a draft and you'll be able to live with the consequences.

Incidently, I certainly hope Forecaster's 88 for Ryan and 55 for Fowler are correct..and that THN's 69 for Skinner is right.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Reuben View Post
    This thread definitely underlines the key point that you simply cannot grab a single forecaster magazine and use it as gospel, and that goes for Dobber's as well.

Do your due diligence heading into a draft and you'll be able to live with the consequences.

Incidently, I certainly hope Forecaster's 88 for Ryan and 55 for Fowler are correct..and that THN's 69 for Skinner is right.
    Grab Dobber, the forecaster, mckeen's, whatever you prefer and make your own list before the draft

Write your own projections 1st and then note all the others. This will also help you reference which players a poolie might take next in the draft. If a majority of poolies are using THN after you, maybe you can let the 46 pt projected Benn slip to the next round.

Also......don't overvalue a player because one mag has his points projected through the roof. Don't grab Ryan's Score projected 88 too early in the draft and pass on Kopitar's lower projected totals.

Eg. McKeen's had Kopitar projected at 104 pts last year and he went 3rd overall in a one year pool. The next guy picked Daniel Sedin. You get the picture. Take your hand off the trigger!

----------S.B.-----Dobber----Score---THN--McKeens---2010- GP---PTS---PPG--PPP---NOTES

Ryan------74---------78--------88------
    Fowler----46---------49--------55------

You'll start second guessing yourself by flipping between 3 mags on draft day. BE PREPARED!!!