Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: HPG - Draft Guru

The Wolverine

Thanks Jamie, that's useful to know. Will that HPV by Stat be available at some point? If not, no big deal and at least I understand where the ranking comes from.

So in my case, with Pavelski ranked higher than Kesler, is it also calculating the value of a winger who takes faceoffs? Even though they take less than the centres, their relative value is greater. I'm thinking so, because the top four on this list are wingers who take faceoffs. Number five is Toews, and six is Kesler. And since Toews had more FOW than Kesler, that makes sense.

Of course, we have to use our judgment on such instances and determine what's more important, however just want to understand how it's recommending one guy over another, if beyond one stat.

Thanks, really appreciate the work you and Paul have put into this tool. Awesome job.
    Last edited by horrorfan; August 10, 2011 at 4:38 PM.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Thanks Jamie, that's useful to know. Will that HPV by Stat be available at some point? If not, no big deal and at least I understand where the ranking comes from.

So in my case, with Pavelski ranked higher than Kesler, is it also calculating the value of a winger who takes faceoffs? Even though they take less than the centres, their relative value is greater. I'm thinking so, because the top four on this list are wingers who take faceoffs. Number five is Toews, and six is Kesler. And since Toews had more FOW than Kesler, that makes sense.

Of course, we have to use our judgment on such instances and determine what's more important, however just want to understand how it's recommending one guy over another, if beyond one stat.

Thanks, really appreciate the work you and Paul have put into this tool. Awesome job.
    Yup, it does take positions into account... and a winger winning a lot of faceoffs is more valuable than a centre winning a lot of faceoffs because the former is a lot more rare than the latter.

Thanks for the kind words. We work hard. I think putting the individual stat values into those lists is a good idea, and would make the rationale behind the lists a lot clearer.

Dobber Sports Ace

Seriously guys, absolutely incredible. Awesome stuff. Really looking forward to using this at the draft.

May see a decrease in PMs too!!
    Team 1:
    10 Team Keeper, keep 16.
    Cat: +/-, PIMs, G, A, Pts, STG (PPG+SHG), GAA, SPct, W
    Roto, No Max games, weekly lineups - 12F, 6D, 4G - 6 bench

F: Benn, Bennett, Crosby, Hughes, Keller, Kopitar, Lindolm, Perron, Schmalts, Stephenson, Tavares, Thompson
    Bench - Lafreniere, Roslovic, Schenn

D: Chabot, Dahlin, Josi, Hronek, Morrissey, Schenn
    Bench - Sandin

G: F. Copley, Gustavsson, Skinner, Sorokin
    Bench: Merzlikins, Petersen, Andersen (IR)

Dobber Sports Stud

Very nice.... looking forward to using it this year!
    Two Stroke Hockey League - Points only, full keeper
    Capwise Full Keeper H2H Roto Leagues: East Coast Fantasy League,
    Icey Cups Fantasy Hockey League - H2H Points, Full Keeper

Dobber Sports Demi-God

So my slow redraft started yesterday in a keeper league. I had already plugged all the keepers and farm keepers into the Draft Guru and now as someone makes a pick I just update the Guru with a single entry. As I get closer to my pick, I click on who is available - either BPA or by position or by stat category to narrow down my options on guys that would help my team. Even set the draft order so that the Guru has the team picking next presented in the next pick entry area. Pure frigging luxury.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    So my slow redraft started yesterday in a keeper league. I had already plugged all the keepers and farm keepers into the Draft Guru and now as someone makes a pick I just update the Guru with a single entry. As I get closer to my pick, I click on who is available - either BPA or by position or by stat category to narrow down my options on guys that would help my team. Even set the draft order so that the Guru has the team picking next presented in the next pick entry area. Pure frigging luxury.
    I can concur this as I'm using it for the same league!!! LOL! I'm using it for my PTS only league as well and it's definitely AWESOME!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Well, Sunday was an interesting day - I had 2 H2H keeper redrafts going on and a 1 year Roto draft. And I have to tell you that although I was a fan of HPG's Draft Guru before, I am now rabid.

Now a live on-line draft is just too fast (300 players in 2 hours) to track on the Draft Guru (unless you have someone sitting beside you with another computer doing the data capture and updating the Guru), but you do have time to use it for inputting your own team and get feedback on your stats accumulation after each pick for each category. That's what I did for my roto draft and still had time to manage my queue, search for particular players and participate in the draft chat a little.

At round 15 with exactly 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3D and 2G onboard, the stats were showing me with particular weakness in assists, +/- and BS. Smells like a D guy and welcome to the team Matt Carle. I took him at pick 176, he is ranked in my league on HPG at 176th and he is picked in Yahoo on average 161st in the 14th round. He might have lasted another round but the point is that I got what I needed without reaching. As soon as I input him into the Guru, the priorities changed and so did my draft focus for the remaining picks.

With my keeper leagues and the luxury of time because we are drafting off-line with a generous clock, I am able to input every pick and assess my team needs but also get a look at the best players still available by position or by stat. There isn't as much utility in the Guru for this kind of draft with a lot of keepers - but it keeps you aware. But if I was in an inaugural off-line draft for a keeper - sweet ass.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    Well, Sunday was an interesting day - I had 2 H2H keeper redrafts going on and a 1 year Roto draft. And I have to tell you that although I was a fan of HPG's Draft Guru before, I am now rabid.

Now a live on-line draft is just too fast (300 players in 2 hours) to track on the Draft Guru (unless you have someone sitting beside you with another computer doing the data capture and updating the Guru), but you do have time to use it for inputting your own team and get feedback on your stats accumulation after each pick for each category. That's what I did for my roto draft and still had time to manage my queue, search for particular players and participate in the draft chat a little.

At round 15 with exactly 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3D and 2G onboard, the stats were showing me with particular weakness in assists, +/- and BS. Smells like a D guy and welcome to the team Matt Carle. I took him at pick 176, he is ranked in my league on HPG at 176th and he is picked in Yahoo on average 161st in the 14th round. He might have lasted another round but the point is that I got what I needed without reaching. As soon as I input him into the Guru, the priorities changed and so did my draft focus for the remaining picks.

With my keeper leagues and the luxury of time because we are drafting off-line with a generous clock, I am able to input every pick and assess my team needs but also get a look at the best players still available by position or by stat. There isn't as much utility in the Guru for this kind of draft with a lot of keepers - but it keeps you aware. But if I was in an inaugural off-line draft for a keeper - sweet ass.
    Agree with all this. I tried using it for the Rocky Horror Roto Show and it was impossible to do anything but your own picks. Not surprised to see we were using the same point of reference though Shoe there was more than one occassion we stole eachothers pick.

One thing I've found is I get a ton of messages saying this player can't be added to x team and it seems so random. Sometimes if I change the team I'm adding it to, it works, other times it won't let me add them to any team. Just one issue I've found, not entirely sure why it occurs.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Well I have been getting that a lot and I use the bulk add route to resolve it in regular situations but I actually used the team evaluator tool for this draft which does the same thing but I like the interface better - does the same thing as the Guru for a single team input.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Trade Analyzer tool is still arguably my favorite. If there's a batch of guys I'm deciding between I plug them in there.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Haven't used it yet, except to do mocks - no real need up to now. I think it's Hybrid who said he really likes it too.

I guess my favorite tool is just the rankings based on the league set-up Learning to trust the weights Paul has used in the cats and he keeps toying with them and refining. I do like playing in the Team Evaluator, too.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    One thing I've found is I get a ton of messages saying this player can't be added to x team and it seems so random. Sometimes if I change the team I'm adding it to, it works, other times it won't let me add them to any team. Just one issue I've found, not entirely sure why it occurs.
    Hey guys - if this happens to you and you're sure that it shouldn't, please shoot us an email so that I can look into it. I set up some debugging tools to help resolve these problems, so once I start getting reports (we haven't had anyone mention this issue since I put in the debugging tools, of course! hah) I can take a close look.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Happened to me maybe 10-15 times over the weekend Jamie - always destined for the bench as I recall - was able to load the players through the bulk add when it happened. I think only once did I catch that one of the players was already rostered but invisible.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by behindthegeek View Post
    Hey guys - if this happens to you and you're sure that it shouldn't, please shoot us an email so that I can look into it. I set up some debugging tools to help resolve these problems, so once I start getting reports (we haven't had anyone mention this issue since I put in the debugging tools, of course! hah) I can take a close look.
    Happened to me last night while inputting the first pick overall (i tried to keep up to date with everyone's picks).
    I wasn't well prepared and it hurt me so i could catch up on HPG, but did switch over to the team evaluation, and used it the best i could.
    looking forward to using it in my next draft to unleash its full potential!

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by Chinny View Post
    Happened to me last night while inputting the first pick overall (i tried to keep up to date with everyone's picks).
    I wasn't well prepared and it hurt me so i could catch up on HPG, but did switch over to the team evaluation, and used it the best i could.
    looking forward to using it in my next draft to unleash its full potential!
    Do you remember what time it happened? Maybe I can match you up with the debugging info.