Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: HPG - Draft Guru

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Well if you go to your league page and it doesn't show Dobber Hockey Projections 2011-12 part way down the page under generate new set of rankings heading then yeah you have a problem - buzz the HPG under the Contact tab in the overhead menu- you will have action pretty quick.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I'll throw my thoughts into the mix..

Overall, I love the rankings. They are close to my own analysis and I don't have to reconcile multiple sources to get the various stats I need. So, HPG is certainly worth the price of admission for that alone.

The draft Guru is a fantastic concept, but a little to tricky (for me) to use in a live draft. I know this has been already been stated, but it is quite difficult for one person to keep up... I've done several mock drafts and I fall behind fairly quickly.

On my wishlist would be the ability to just mark players as they're drafted... wherever I see their names. I don't really care who drafted them and I don't care which view I'm looking at, I just care that they're gone. I can re-align the planets when the draft is done (using bulk add) if I want to do in-depth team analysis later ...

I guess I'm just looking for a simpler interface. Show me the awesome rankings that you generated and let me knock players off as they get drafted... that way I can keep focused on the thing I spent so long creating with your tools (my ranked list of players). I'll click My Team whenever I need advice during the draft, or I'll look By Stat if I need that... otherwise I'm just watching my Top Overall get drained like a keg at a frat party.

Hopefully this doesn't sound exceedingly harsh.. I've been building and testing software for a long time and I understand the fine line between building tools people can use versus teaching people how to use the tools... so I add these comments with the utmost respect for what you're doing.

Dobber Sports All-Star

I agree with Murdoch that it's almost impossible to keep up in a live draft. One work around I have found helpful is just making sure that your team gets the proper players and then just clicking on players as they get drafted and not worry about what team you put them on. All you are really looking for is to update what cats you are lacking in and getting the BPA right per position.

This updates your list for you quickly. If I know I am looking at a RW next, I will click through all the RW's taken in order to generate the BPA in that position.

Sounds like a lot of frantic work but it's really quite easy once you start doing it.
    10 Team Yahoo H2H - Keep 5 - G,A,+/-,PPP,PIMS,HITS SOG,GWG/W,GAA,SV%,SO
    C: Tavares, Pavelski, Fabbri, Matthews, Rakell,
    LW: Landeskog, Sedin, Perron
    RW: Kucherov, Oshie, Radulov, Backes
    D: Subban, Petry, Gostisbehere, Green, Yandle, Werenski
    G: Price, Talbot

Canadian Dad Blog - http://canadiandad.com

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by emurdoch View Post
    I'll throw my thoughts into the mix..

Overall, I love the rankings. They are close to my own analysis and I don't have to reconcile multiple sources to get the various stats I need. So, HPG is certainly worth the price of admission for that alone.

The draft Guru is a fantastic concept, but a little to tricky (for me) to use in a live draft. I know this has been already been stated, but it is quite difficult for one person to keep up... I've done several mock drafts and I fall behind fairly quickly.

On my wishlist would be the ability to just mark players as they're drafted... wherever I see their names. I don't really care who drafted them and I don't care which view I'm looking at, I just care that they're gone. I can re-align the planets when the draft is done (using bulk add) if I want to do in-depth team analysis later ...

I guess I'm just looking for a simpler interface. Show me the awesome rankings that you generated and let me knock players off as they get drafted... that way I can keep focused on the thing I spent so long creating with your tools (my ranked list of players). I'll click My Team whenever I need advice during the draft, or I'll look By Stat if I need that... otherwise I'm just watching my Top Overall get drained like a keg at a frat party.

Hopefully this doesn't sound exceedingly harsh.. I've been building and testing software for a long time and I understand the fine line between building tools people can use versus teaching people how to use the tools... so I add these comments with the utmost respect for what you're doing.
    Hi - there's some great stuff in here (and from Killer right below you too). At our last meeting this past Saturday, we talked a lot about simplifying certain aspects of the Draft Guru with our main goal being to speed it up so that tracking an entire draft is a lot more realistic. Your suggestion to just "mark players as they're drafted", for example, is one that we agreed needs to happen. While we won't be starting draft guru enhancements until the season is underway (likely early November), I think you'll really like what we've got in store.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Used the Guru for 3 drafts this year, I'm excited to see what happens come season's end. I love so many features about it, it's hard for me to imagine it doing a bad job. Obviously it's up to you to make your decision based on positional/stat needs but it has been an amazing help.

Thanks guys!
    10 Team Yahoo H2H - Keep 5 - G,A,+/-,PPP,PIMS,HITS SOG,GWG/W,GAA,SV%,SO
    C: Tavares, Pavelski, Fabbri, Matthews, Rakell,
    LW: Landeskog, Sedin, Perron
    RW: Kucherov, Oshie, Radulov, Backes
    D: Subban, Petry, Gostisbehere, Green, Yandle, Werenski
    G: Price, Talbot

Canadian Dad Blog - http://canadiandad.com

Dobber Sports Demi-God

It would be nice to have the click option to indicate a player is gone from the ranking list - like Yahoo in their preranking set up - mark and shuffle left for other teams picks and mark and shuffle right for your picks and have that list update your team category projections. As I said earlier, I used the team evaluator to keep my team up to date - I had previously used the ranking tool to create my list for the live draft and I went in early a queued close to 300 players in the yahoo draft engine, so it kept tabs on who was gone for me to a great extent. I'm pretty happy with the team I came out of the draft with.

My off line redrafts were a treat because I used the draft guru - I felt really in control of that process.
    Last edited by Shoeless; October 3, 2011 at 3:10 AM.