Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: HPG - Draft Guru

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default HPG - Draft Guru

Slick!! Aside from a couple of nice to have tweaks I think the Geek Twins have delivered the goods. Applause!

The Wolverine

Looks good. Question though - I chose it to display the top 10 available players. What if I wanted to see beyond it? I don't see a 'next page' or anything like that? Since I made that choice at the beginning, I don't have the option to change it once it's started.

The Wolverine

Another one, maybe this had been covered in testing but will throw it out there anyway. When I click on 'top available by stat', it doesn't always list it by HPG order or even by that stat. I am unable to change it to sort on the list as well. Perhaps it balances need, however, if my need is that stat, shouldn't the higher ones be at the top, in terms of HPG and that stat?

For example, I need FOW as highest priority (note I have chosen 2G and 1LW already, that's all). I click 'top available by stat' and 'FOW'. The most valuable player by HPG is Backes and Kesler, but they are listed fourth and sixth respectively. However, they rank multi position or wingers higher: Pavelski, Giroux and Zetterberg.

So, even though it's telling me to get FOW next, are they saying that Pavelski is a better option at this point instead of Backes or Kesler, even though his HPG is worse and his FOW is comparable to Backes but much worse than Kesler?

Just trying to understand it. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by horrorfan; August 10, 2011 at 6:26 AM.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Looks good. Question though - I chose it to display the top 10 available players. What if I wanted to see beyond it? I don't see a 'next page' or anything like that? Since I made that choice at the beginning, I don't have the option to change it once it's started.
    Yeah I opted to see 20 but for some reason I only got to see 10 - and yeah short of deleting it and starting over, I don't see a way to change it. I sent a note to the Geeks on that already, along with a few other things.

The top 10 available of course will change in an active draft situation as players get selected and become unavailable.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Another one, maybe this had been covered in testing but will throw it out there anyway. When I click on 'top available by stat', it doesn't always list it by HPG order or even by that stat. I am unable to change it to sort on the list as well. Perhaps it balances need, however, if my need is that stat, shouldn't the higher ones be at the top, in terms of HPG and that stat?

For example, I need FOW as highest priority (note I have chosen 2G and 1LW already, that's all). I click 'top available by stat' and 'FOW'. The most valuable player by HPG is Backes and Kesler, but they are listed fourth and sixth respectively. However, they rank multi position or wingers higher: Pavelski, Giroux and Zetterberg.

So, even though it's telling me to get FOW next, are they saying that Pavelski is a better option at this point instead of Backes or Kesler, even though his HPG is worse and his FOW is comparable to Backes but much worse than Kesler?

Yeah it does something flukey with my sort as well - it's generally in order with the odd out of place guy. Hmmmmm.

Could it be that it is sensitive to vacant roster spots? Nah that's not it in my case.

actually I found it was only wonky for 2 cats in my set-up - goals and sog all the other cats were sorted correctly.
    Last edited by Shoeless; August 10, 2011 at 6:39 AM.

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post

The top 10 available of course will change in an active draft situation as players get selected and become unavailable.
    True, but I wonder if we should be able to view them all regardless of the top ones. Sometimes we plan ahead and want to look down the list while we wait for the next picks.

Thanks for sending the info on.

The Wolverine

One other thing I was hoping for (think I mentioned during testing, not sure) was the ability to sort by stat within a position. You have the list of 'top available by position' and 'top available by stat'. But say you were in 'by position' and chose D. Then, within that section, I wanted to sort by Blocked Shots - I cannot do that.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

True, but I wonder if we should be able to view them all regardless of the top ones. Sometimes we plan ahead and want to look down the list while we wait for the next picks.

Thanks for sending the info on.
    I got greedy, I asked for a draft queue. but yeah.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

One other thing I was hoping for (think I mentioned during testing, not sure) was the ability to sort by stat within a position. You have the list of 'top available by position' and 'top available by stat'. But say you were in 'by position' and chose D. Then, within that section, I wanted to sort by Blocked Shots - I cannot do that.
    that would be really nice to have - I bet it's on Jamie's to do list for later on.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Horrorfan, have you done anything with a custom ranking yet? I haven't but would love to play with it - say in the context of J_Mac's stuff on D vs F rankings.

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    Horrorfan, have you done anything with a custom ranking yet? I haven't but would love to play with it - say in the context of J_Mac's stuff on D vs F rankings.
    Not yet. Slowly but surely I am making my own projections to use but still have plenty to do, so now I'm just using last year's numbers.

EDIT: Ah you mean more than a ranking. I will have my own pre-draft prep once I get all the numbers in. With our settings, value differences will be interesting to see.
    Last edited by horrorfan; August 10, 2011 at 9:40 AM.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Veryy cool new tool!

Goodbye excel spreadsheet mess.
    GMHL Dynasty
    14 Team H2H 27-Pro/20-Farm
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 7BN, 4IR+
    G, A, PTS, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG,SOG, HITS, BLKS, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: Mike Ribeiro, Patrik Elias, Tyler Johnson, Stephen Weiss, Steve Ott, Jarret Stoll
    LW: Gabriel Landeskog, Mats Zuccarello, Marcus Johansson, RJ Umberger, Matt Cooke, Justin Abdelkader
    RW: Troy Brouwer, Daniel Alfredsson, Erik Cole, Shane Doan, Jackob Silfverberg
    D: Dustin Byfuglien, Brent Seabrook, Joni Pitkanen, Erik Gudbranson, Matt Carle, Dmitri Orlov, Seth Jones, Hampus Lindholm
    G: Henrik Lundqvist, Anton Khudobin, Jason LaBarbera, Devan Dubnyk, Anders Lindback

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Great feedback guys. Shoeless has already fired me off some emails, but if anyone else wants to give more detailed feedback, ask questions, or send bug reports, the fastest response will come via direct email since I'm supposedly at work right now.

So if you want to get in touch: [email protected]

This is kind of a "soft launch" at the moment with some big fanfare to come next week. So please, any issues - let me know!

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I'm looking into this now. I'll let you know.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

OK, so - I think this is mostly an issue of clarifying the data that's being presented, which we need to do a better job of in this "top available by stat" list.

Basically, what you're seeing is a list of players ranked not by total HPG value and not by the stat category totals (e.g. most goals to least goals), but the HPG value for that particular category. Although we usually only display the total HPG value for players, in roto leagues a player has an HPG value for every stat, as well as an overall value. The "top by stat" lists in the draft guru reflect that individual stat HPG value.

Let me give you an example. In a draft guru for one of my own leagues, the "top by stat" list for goals looks like this (Total HPG value/goal total in parentheses):

#1 Perry (140.39 / 50)
    #2 Stamkos (64.12 / 45)
    #3 Iginla (53.89 / 43)
    #4 Kesler (77.98 / 41)
    #5 D. Sedin (106.50 / 41)
    #6 Byfuglien (66.79 / 20)
    #7 Visnovsky (56.80 / 18)
    #8 E. Staal (50.41 / 33)
    #9 Lidstrom (51.30 / 16)
    #10 Ovechkin (72.65 / 32)

So, in neither total HPG order or total G order. What's up with that??

Well, here's how the list looks using the HPG values for the G category:

#1 Perry - 23.13
    #2 Stamkos - 18.53
    #3 Iginla - 16.76
    #4 Kesler - 14.89
    #5 D. Sedin - 14.41
    #6 Byfuglien - 10.59
    #7 Visnovsky - 8.77
    #8 E. Staal - 7.6
    #9 Lidstrom - 6.95
    #10 Ovechkin - 6.22

Makes more sense now, right? Basically, if we were just to sort them by, say, total goals, that would gloss over the relative value between the positions, which have already been calculated in the HPG values. So we present the lists in this way to show you which players will give you the most bank for the buck for each stat.

Does that clear it up?