Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Worst Trades

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Worst Trades

There were a few posts in another topic about bad trades we have made. I think we could all enjoy laughing at ourselves a bit more so it is time to fess up! What was the worst trade you made in your hockey pool? Recently or off all time.

I have lots in my history but limiting it to last season it comes down to here are two trades I made early in the season:
    Gave up Souray, Frolov and Sundin for Nagy and Redden
    Or
    Gave up Cam Ward for Peter Forsberg

The only thing that could save the first trade is I did land a 2009 first round pick.

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re:Worst Trades

Without a doubt the worst trade I did last year, hell it might be the worst trade ever in our league, was I traded Iginla for Zherdev and Pitkanen. Wow, it looks even worse now...
    12 Team H2H (Daily) - Keep 10 + 5(Farm)
    4C/3LW/3RW/4D/3G/4Bench/3IR
    G A Pts +/- STP GWG SOG/ W Sv% GAA SHO
    Centers:
    A. Barkov (IR), C. McDavid, J. Carter, Y. Gourde(LW), N. Paul(LW), C. Stephenson
    LWs:
    F. Forsberg, J. Guentzel, A. Duclair(RW), E. Haula(C), A. Killorn
    RWs:
    N. Ehlers(LW), V. Tarasenko, F. Gaudreau(C), V. Podkolzin
    D:
    T. Chabot, C. Makar, M. Dumba, OEL, N. Schmidt
    G:
    S. Bobrovky, T. Demko, J. Gibson(IR), A. Stolarz(IR)
    Farm:
    J. Annunen, A. Kaliyev, A. Lundell, F. Lysell, M. Rossi

Dobber Sports Ninja

Great subject. I once traded Sergei Gonchar for Paul Laus straight up in a rotisserie keeper pool (\'99-00) - I had comfortable leads in most categories, but needed penalty minutes badly. The worst thing was that I ended up in second place by half a point!
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Mine was part of a previous post but since it was so great i\'ll post it again lol

Kaberle for Kronwall

Funny thing is when i made this trade i think they both had the same points, the first game after the trade i think Kaberle had a 3 or 4 point night, knew i was screwed after that. Guess it don\'t pay to be a Leaf hater lmao.
    H2H Points
    Protect- roster:18 + prospects:7
    F- Tavares, M.Richards, Lecavalier, Kovalchuk, Horton, Hossa, Purcell, Hartnell, Pominville, Simmonds
    D- Doughty, Hedman, Boyle, Meszaros, Wideman
    G- Fleury, Halak, Vokoun

Prospects-
    F- Bowman, Coyle, Adam, Zibenajad, Geoffrion
    D- Savard, Wishart
    G- Hackett, Jones

I...am your father.

I can go on and on with this topic - things you probably know about me:

1. I trade as much as I can
    2. I take huge risks
    3. My goal is to win more trades than I lose...sometimes that means only winning 51% of them!!!!

The one that comes to mind is a few years ago, after Mario\'s miracle comeback, I traded Sundin and a 1st for Mario. Not only was he a bandaid boy the very next season, but I couldn\'t even nosedive in the standings to help my draft position...because I gave up my pick!

From then on, I have never traded my first round pick. I never will, unless I can win.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I dont Trade often... once or twice a season...

heres 2 that may eat me up...

#1 Gonchar 2 years ago for Zidlicky... Its was good but now Gonchar is evenin it up and killing me... altho Zidlicky has 2 yrs on gonchar\'s age...

#2... read carefully...

I gave... Rick Nash, Nicklas Kronwall, David LeNevue & David Aebisher\'s Temperary Rights (I get him back next year)... For Rob Blake, The Temperary rights to Hendrick Lundqvist and the Option on Temperary rights to Braydon Coburn (which I think he\'ll take back) so basically I get David Aebisher back outta the deal... Heres the Kicker.... it was my Idea... I also flipped Blake for Brunette at the deadline...

But this trade was made just before X mas and I REALLY needed a Top Starting goalie... and this trade is the sole reason I not only made the playoffs but finnished 3rd (from 10th at the time) in the regular season and was runner up in the championship... (but it will screw me over next year)

#3 I also traded Raffi Torres for Tkachuk this year who I wont be retaining but that was for a full out championship run...

Post edited by: Jason_Banks, at: 2007/06/06 21:50
    Current Roster:

F: H Sedin, Plekanec, Perry, Cammalleri, Oshie, Stepan, Anisimov, Kunitz, Justin Williams, Little, Baertchi, Huberdeau, Eberle, Rattie, Hoffman, Holland, Horvat, Dano, Dal Colle, Kerdiles

D: Boumeester, Green, Carlson, Del Zotto, Myers, Alzner, M Staal, Pouliot, Gormley, Mueller

G: Varlamov, Mrazek, Niemi, Vasilevski, Ramo, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Ooooh - I\'ve got one.

Last off-season I traded Erat+Huselius+Jussi Jokinen+David Leneveu for Zherdev and Brendan Morrison. Huselius/Jokinen/Leneveu were all waiver pickups late in the season (especially Huselius, who had bounced from FLA to CGY), so I thought I was doing pretty well to bring Zherdev into the fold and pick up Morrison, who was then rumored to be heading to Atlanta as a UFA to center Kovalchuk.

Wow. I got owned on that one. I did later trade Morrison for Nathan Horton and then I traded Horton for Gomez, so that wasn\'t so bad, but that trade looks awful now.

Please, God, please let Zherdev be traded to the \'Couv or to Pitt .

Dobber Sports Prodigy

In 05 06 when Svatos had something like 32 goals in 70 games I traded Ryan Whitney for Svatos. What a kick in the bag

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I traded Ryan Whitney and Huselius
    for
    Torres and Zherdev......... I\'ve since stopped drinking during hockey season...

Dobber Sports Ninja

This was a simple 1 year non keeper league.

I traded Vanek for Vrbata about a week and a half into this season.

I ended up in second place because of +/-.

Yikes.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Keeper pool, Selanne for Zherdev straight up after Selanne\'s slow(ish) start last year. Thought I could win it with the rest of my old guys and get a bit younger at the same time.

For what it\'s worth, the Selanne v. Zherdev point differential by the end of the year more that covered the distance between me and the eventual winner.

I\'ll think twice before doing another triple-if trade (if my other guys keep going / if Selanne keeps slowing / if Zherdev stops sucking).

Dobber Sports Ace

I think I still made the worst trade ever 2 years ago in my keeper league.

For some odd reason I really wanted to acquire Luc Robitaille. So I told the GM I was interested and he made me an offer and after some stupid reflection I actually accepeted. Keep in mind our trades work with values, too long to explain now but in the end Robitaille was very expensive, some thing like 8$ while what I have up wer eonly 1-2$ each.

So I reveieved Luc Robitaille but gave up Mike Cammalieri,Hannu Toivonen, a 3rd and 4th round pick, which in the end those picks turned out to be Jussi Jokinen and Andrei Mejaroz.

I am now a rebuilding team and if I had those 4 players back this year, id win the pool next year guarenteed.

I had so much respect for Luc that I gave up all that talent. I tried getting back Cammalieri and the guy simply said, keep dreaming.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

During the 2006-07 season, I got Tanguay and traded away Zetterberg.

I looked good until Zetterberg got that insane January-February point streak.
    QHL Stanley Cup champion 2006-07, 2007-08, 2008-09
    www.thephysicsofhockey.com

Dobber Sports Genius

last season i traded cam ward for a 6th round pick after no one else made any offers for him,worst part is that i gambled and protected nittymaki thinking he would be the second coming of christ!,lol.then to add insult to injury i used the 1st overall pick and gambled on colby armstrong!dropped and added armstrong over the season and dealt nitti and a high pick for turco.things should be brighter next season,picked up m.hossa , b.richards,and as i mentioned turco;along with getzlaf,malkin and stastny.those are my allowed six keepers.
    Roto type keeper league.We keep any 6 ;15 teams , 3 div. of 5.We play 3 lines , 3 def. and start 2 goalies.6 BN.Stats are 1pt. for goals and assists , 2pts. for W , tie(O.T. or S.O. loss) 1pt. S.O. 1pt.Weekly line-up from Mon. to Sun. Total pts. per line against other teams lines.

LW - Ovechkin , Drouin ,Steen , Huberdeau
    RW - Nash , Callahan , Nyquist
    C - B. Schenn , Fisher , R.N.H. , St. Louis , T. Johnson
    Def.- E. Johnson , Gologoski , Suter , Doughty , O.E.L.
    G - Scheinder , Dubnyk , Lack

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Before the 2002-03 season, I traded Datsyuk (whom I had just drafted) and Martin Biron for Simon Gagne. At the time, it wasn\'t that bad of a trade (Gagne would get me 2 pts per goal), but looking back on it now?... ugh.

I\'ve made a rule against doing it anymore, but I always used to get burnt when trading down in the draft, when the intent was to pick a specific player with the later pick. It first started in 2000 when I traded down to the 17th overall pick of the draft thinking I could get Brad Richards then. He was picked 16th. (I ended up with the aforementioned Biron with the 17th pick.) Not the first time I got burned, but like I said, I don\'t do it anymore.