Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Do you expect Green to bounce back this year?

Dobber Sports Icon

Very good thread, which I have been reading with great interest.

My take is that, while Green is a great offensive dman (top 5, and perhaps even best, in the league), what has truly set him apart from his peers from a fantasy perspective over the last few years were his SURROUNDINGS/CIRCUMSTANCES. In other words, the same Mike Green playing for, say, Florida or NYI, would not be nearly as fantasy-valuable - he would not have approached the 73 points he had in 08/09, or the 75 he had in 09/10 (when the Caps destroyed every other team in the league with their 3.87 goals/game average, next best being the Canucks at 3.27). Another way to put it, if you take guys like Karlsson, Letang, Subban, Yandle, Doughty at the stage they are now and stick them onto the Washington Capitals of 08/09 or 09/10, they too would be putting up 75 points or close to it.

So I guess what I am saying is that I think Green is, to some extent, overrated from a fantasy perspective because of the team he plays for. If he was with another team that was offensively more challenged, he'd still be a top offensive Dman from a fantasy perspective, but he would no longer be say top 3. I'd still love to hame him on my team, but there would be other defenseman (like Carlson!) who I'd rather have over him in that scenario.

Cue the slings and arrows!

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Quote Originally Posted by Luffy D Monkey View Post
    He is insane offensively.
    I don't think anyone on this has disagreed nor would disagree w/ that sentiment, unless I missed something.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Grand Master

That's fine if you want to say he wouldn't have reached 75 points if he played on the Capitals... But put any other d-man in the NHL on the Capitals and they won't hit 75 points.

I dunno, from watching Green, he's in a league of his own offensively. Doughty, Karlsson etc. are close but as I said before if you throw Green on any team, he will perform better offensively than any other d-man. Say you throw Karlsson, Doughty, and Green on Florida for 27 games each... Green would have the highest point totals, not accounting for team slumps, etc.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    I dunno, from watching Green, he's in a league of his own offensively. Doughty, Karlsson etc. are close but as I said before if you throw Green on any team, he will perform better offensively than any other d-man. Say you throw Karlsson, Doughty, and Green on Florida for 27 games each... Green would have the highest point totals, not accounting for team slumps, etc.

I guess we have to agree to disagree then. My whole point is that, while Green is elite and at the very top of offensive Dmen for any fantasy league, I do NOT think he would significantly outperform a Karlsson or Doughty if they all played for Florida, and it's possible those guys might outperform him. In other words, he's not way beyond those guys in terms of fantasy value unless he is on a better offensive team.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    I guess we have to agree to disagree then. My whole point is that, while Green is elite and at the very top of offensive Dmen for any fantasy league, I do NOT think he would significantly outperform a Karlsson or Doughty if they all played for Florida, and it's possible those guys might outperform him. In other words, he's not way beyond those guys in terms of fantasy value unless he is on a better offensive team.
    All personal opinion my friend. Not trying to definitely state the Green is far and away the best offensive defenseman in the league in all areas - however, in my eyes, and in my opinion, he is quite simply the most offensively gifted defenseman in the league and I do not see any other defenseman being able to match what he has done/is capable of doing.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    All personal opinion my friend. Not trying to definitely state the Green is far and away the best offensive defenseman in the league in all areas - however, in my eyes, and in my opinion, he is quite simply the most offensively gifted defenseman in the league and I do not see any other defenseman being able to match what he has done/is capable of doing.

Fair enough buddy, you're not the only one that feels this strongly about Green's merits as a player. Suffice to say he's damn good!

Dobber Sports Veteran

I want to thank all you guys for your input. I have decided that because of what I gave up to get him, his offensive upside, Washington should bounce back this year offensively and the fact that I have been after green for two years, I'm keeping him.

Thanks for all the advice boys.
    Head to Head League: 1 point for G, 1 point for A. 2 for Goalie win, 3 for SO.
    Start 6 guys every week. 3 O, 2 D and 1G. No substitutions once they are in (before the first game starts on Monday).
    Protect 3 players every year in keeper.
    10 rounds of drafting
    F: Crosby, Point, P. Kane, JVR, Kopitar, Rakell, Tarasenko,
    D: Letang, Doughty, Karlsson, Grzelcyk, Faulk,
    G: Bob, Shesterkin, Demko, Kahkonen

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I think he will bounce back. I see him around 50 points this season.

Dobber Sports Veteran

50 points to me is not bounce back material. That's Pronger or Goligoski kind of numbers. I want elite 65-70 pt Green back.
    Start 6 guys every week. 3 O, 2 D and 1G. No substitutions once they are in (before the first game starts on Monday).
    10 rounds of drafting

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by baumer View Post
    50 points to me is not bounce back material. That's Pronger or Goligoski kind of numbers. I want elite 65-70 pt Green back.
    50 is better than the 24 he got us owners last season.
    10 team, H2H Points, Limited Keeper (1C,2W,2D,1G,1 non G)

18 man roster plus 2 IR spots [20 total]
    start 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G; daily lineup changes

Stats: G,A,PPG,ENG,SHG,GWG,OTG,ShootOut Goals/Attemtps,Hat Tricks,+/-,FOW,PIMs,Majors,Misconducts,Hits,Blocked Shots
    Goalies Stats: W,Saves,Goals Against,SO

C: Tavares, Koivu, Backstrom, Johansen
    W: Lucic, Ladd, Eriksson, Komarov, Forsberg, Jenner
    D: Hedman, Ekblad, Niskanen, Yandle, Campbell
    G: Holtby, Schneider, Hammond
    IR: Anderson, Faulk

Dobber Sports Padawan

Good idea to keep him, have to give the kid a chance with his talent level.

I am worried about all the shot's he's taking to his noggen though, may affect his carrer.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I think the time is coming very soon when Ovechkin moves to fwd on the PP. Semin is as good as gone after this season and a PP with Ovechkin-Backstrom-Laich-Carlson-Green will be much more potent than "insert forward"-Backstrom-Laich-Ovechkin-Green/Carlson.
    Could Carlson eat into Green's point totals? For sure.
    But he won't make Green expendable.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I have to agree here. I think teams have caught on to Ovi's booming shot from the point and are pressuring him immediately.....ie taking away from his options. I think if they moved him up(or at least switched it up once and awhile) will create more offense (and options of course). If they fail to go far this year, I too agree Semin will go or at least be traded.
    Don't get me wrong, I enjoy watching Green play. He's one of the few d-men that can control the play (offensively) with such ease. I just believe his stats are elevated because he's surrounded by such talent.
    14 team points only league
    9 forwards (3 of each position)
    4 defense
    2 goalies
    farm team option
    Must submit top 4 pointing players back into draft at end of every season
    14 rounds
    Can only carry over 12 players each year

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Guys ... that's what fantasy hockey is all about:
    predicting what a player will do in the circumstances he is in. Teams, linemates, coaches, PP time, etc ... all factor in.

Whether Green is the best offensive Dman out there or not is a moot point.

In his situation - for SURE he can bounce back to 70 points. In fact, if ANY Dman is gonna hit 70 points this season, it will be Green.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Well, he had 25 minutes of ice time, played all the first pp minutes last night as still had a goose egg. This sucks. I need Green to bounce back this year and it aint happening yet. Early? Maybe, but some teams have played 9 games now. The 1/10 of the season is approaching.
    10 rounds of drafting

Dobber Sports Prodigy

bump sorry just had to after his game yesterday...