Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Do you expect Green to bounce back this year?

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    ok well, give me Laich and we'll call it even.
    Give me something good for him then!

P.S. if you want to talk trade today, PM me here on Dobber as I can't access UHL.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Just thought I'd add something to think about that I haven't seen on this thread yet about the Carlson/Green debate.

People are worried Carlson unseats Green on the #1 PP and they continue to use 4 forwards other than that. This could happen. However, Carlson could also develop into a dman who plays a ton of minutes in hard situations while Green doesn;t have to play against the other teams best lines and continues to work his magic on the #1 PP. Carlson has upside, don't get me wrong, but being on the Caps could both help (lots of firepower upfront to grab assists from) and hurt (may never get to be on the #1 PP due to Green & Ovi) from a fantasy standpoint.
    12 tm pts only dynasty
    F (count 12): Bedard, Boldy, Beniers, Cooley, Michkov, Norris, Landeskog, Rossi, Reichel, Pelletier, Tomasino, Foerster, Bordeleau, Lysell, Wahlstrom, Bourque, Stankoven, Nazar, Othmann, Ostlund, O.Moore
    D (count 6): McAvoy, Kylington, Byram, Boqvist, Perunovich, Lundkvist, L.Hughes, Zellweger, Morrow
    G (count 2): Askarov, Wallstedt, Wolf, Kochetkov, Levi
    3 round draft and 1 waiver per team per year

Dobber Sports Stud

I'm of the feeling that Carlson will help Green too. It may free him up a bit to play his game of "the Dman that plays forward". I see a bit more of a Duncan Keith game from Carlson in the future.
    Two Stroke Hockey League - Points only, full keeper
    Capwise Full Keeper H2H Roto Leagues: East Coast Fantasy League,
    Icey Cups Fantasy Hockey League - H2H Points, Full Keeper

Dobber Sports Stud

If he plays 70 games he will get 60-65 points IMO. When healthy he's still just under a PPG player.

Dobber Sports Padawan

if the whole teams bounces back he will be fine, if he can stay healthy
    http://www.dobberhockey.com/picture.php?albumid=65&pictureid=474

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    I was just saying in general, not just directed at you. There's people who will go out and say Green won't clear 60 again, etc. yet in another post will say Karlsson is going to hit 65+ or whatever.

I'm just saying given an equal number of games Green will outpoint any d-man in the NHL, regardless of what team he plays for or who he may be competing for ice time against.

Just my opinion.
    I'm guessing you own Green to boast a comment like that. You can't tell me his great #'s weren't reflected by the fact he played with the likes of Ovi, Backstrom and Semin? "outpoint any d-man in the NHL, regardess of what team he plays for".....a little much don't ya think? Just having a little fun!
    14 team points only league
    9 forwards (3 of each position)
    4 defense
    2 goalies
    farm team option
    Must submit top 4 pointing players back into draft at end of every season
    14 rounds
    Can only carry over 12 players each year

Dobber Sports Legend

Yes, I expect Green to rebound nicely, but I don't expect him to go bananas unless BB is fired. I'm thinking something like: 75GP|18G|44A|62Pts.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Jake44 View Post
    I'm guessing you own Green to boast a comment like that. You can't tell me his great #'s weren't reflected by the fact he played with the likes of Ovi, Backstrom and Semin? "outpoint any d-man in the NHL, regardess of what team he plays for".....a little much don't ya think? Just having a little fun!
    I am a Green owner and I'll back dyz's statement. If healthy, there isn't a better offensive D in the league. He skates as good or better than any D in the league and has goal-scoring instincts you can't teach. His numbers were reflected by the teammates he played with, but there isn't a player in the league who would've put up the same (or higher) numbers on those Washington teams.

Doughty, Karlsson, etc, have the same offensive skills, but I've not seen 20-25 goal potential from those two - and that's what separates Green from the rest as a class of his own. IMO, the only thing holding him back is conditioning. He injures easily, and tends to fade near the end of games when he's relied on for big minutes. Both are signs that he's not in the best shape he could be.

As for you statement that Carlson will eventually force him out, I don't see it. Carslon is a prototypical 15-35-50 P defenseman. He'll log big minutes, play the PP, and be one of the better defensemen in the league, but he doesn't possess the ability to score 20-25 goals in a season. If he ever clears 60, it'll be on the back of 45+ assists in a year like 08-09 when Ovechkin cleared 50 and Green had 30.

I think the time is coming very soon when Ovechkin moves to fwd on the PP. Semin is as good as gone after this season and a PP with Ovechkin-Backstrom-Laich-Carlson-Green will be much more potent than "insert forward"-Backstrom-Laich-Ovechkin-Green/Carlson.
    Could Carlson eat into Green's point totals? For sure.
    But he won't make Green expendable.
    20 Team Pool Points Keeper
    G =1,A=1,PPG=1,PPA=0.5, SHG=1,GWG=1,PIM=0.1,+/-=0.25
    Goalie cats (W=2, SO=3, SV=0.05)

F: Malkin, B.Richards, Franzen, D.Brown, Boedker, Zajac, Atkinson, Scheifele, Read, Boyes
    D: Green, Schultz, Faulk, Goligoski
    G: Crawford

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by slufoot View Post
    If healthy, there isn't a better offensive D in the league.
    I wouldn't be worried about Green's offensive skills as much as Boudreau's corny, newfound system.
    8-GM / WK-H2H

(F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,

Quote Originally Posted by Jake44 View Post
    I've always backed Green despite the fact I was not an owner until recently.

I'm not saying playing with Ovi/Backstrom didn't help. What I am saying is that he's the most offensively gifted d-man in the NHL. Therefore, throw him on any team and he will put up more points there than any other d-man would.

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    I've always backed Green despite the fact I was not an owner until recently.

I'm not saying playing with Ovi/Backstrom didn't help. What I am saying is that he's the most offensively gifted d-man in the NHL. Therefore, throw him on any team and he will put up more points there than any other d-man would.
    dyz,

I actually think Karlsson is the most offensively gifted D in the league - of course just my opinion. If he were on WSH playing with toys like Ovie, Backstrom, Semin and Carlson, I think he could be a steady 70-80 point D. Either way, Boudreau needs to go.
    8-GM / WK-H2H

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    dyz,

I actually think Karlsson is the most offensively gifted D in the league - of course just my opinion. If he were on WSH playing with toys like Ovie, Backstrom, Semin and Carlson, I think he could be a steady 70-80 point D. Either way, Boudreau needs to go.
    Karlsson is probably 3rd on my list after Green and Doughty but like you say it all comes down to personal opinion.

Dobber Sports Stud

Green gets way too much of a knock on him for being in a good situation, but if anyone actually watches him it's easy to see the skill he brings. I bet most of the people saying to sell on Mike Green have just heard what other people said (bad defensively, only producing because of OV, etc.) and are just regurgitating it.
    The Ultimate Fantasy Hockey League. (Keep 17)
    3C 3LW 3RW 6D 2G 6BE.
    G,A,+-,PIM,PPP,SHP,GWG,SOG,FW,HIT; GS,W,L,GAA,SA,SV, SV%,SO
    (C) Kopitar, Kuznetsov, O'Reilly, Karlsson, Roslovic, Zacha
    (LW) Ovechkin, Forseberg, Bertuzzi(RW),
    (RW) Rantanen, Bratt(LW), Radulov
    (D) Josi, Burns, Pietrangelo, Karlsson, Heiskanen, Dunn, Boqvist
    (G) Gibson, Quick, Hart, Petersen
    (IR) Domi

10 Person Farm: (<200GP for F, <100GP for G)
    (C) Zegras(LW), Bourque
    (LW) Kaliyev(RW)
    (RW) Glass(C), Raymond(LW)
    (D) Power
    (G) Ingram, Knight, Levi, Primeau

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jeffl97 View Post
    Green gets way too much of a knock on him for being in a good situation, but if anyone actually watches him it's easy to see the skill he brings. I bet most of the people saying to sell on Mike Green have just heard what other people said (bad defensively, only producing because of OV, etc.) and are just regurgitating it.
    You're right, Green has world-class offensive skills - anyone who thinks otherwise has not watched him enough. But, prior to last year, playing in a high-octane, offensively aggressive system suited Green perfectly.

Not to mention having 100+ threats like Ovechkin/Backstrom and gifted players like Semin certainly helped boost his totals (as they would anyone). I just don't see Green scoring 73 and 76 points playing on the Sens or Preds.

Last season Green was banged up a lot but Boudreau's garbage system killed his fantasy impact - the same way it did to Backstrom, Semin and Ovechkin (to an extent).

Green on the pre-2010/11 Caps is a 70+ guy. On the post-2010/11 Caps (unless BB is fired) and most other teams, he's probably more of a 55-65 guy - which is still Visnovsky/Doughty-level elite.
    8-GM / WK-H2H

Dobber Sports Veteran

Ever consider that it might have been Green's absence from the lineup that hurt Ovi and co. just as much as the new system? That's my take.

Green doesn't get near enough credit from poolies with short memories. He is insane offensively.
    10 Team Limited Keeper (Keep 8) Points Only
    SALARY CAP (Player Salaries) League
    20 Player Teams = 12 Fwd 6 D 2 G

My team: ???