Thread: Ray Emery in Chicago

The King of Diatribes

Default Ray Emery in Chicago

Here is a look at what Emery in Chicago means for him, Crawford and Salak.

http://thegoalieguild.com/2011/07/ex...ys-new-tryout/

It blows for Salak, but to be honest, he's probably better off starting in the AHL. If Crawford struggles, Hawks don't need to be exposing Salak to that madness. Especially with Quenneville at the helm.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by GoalieGuild View Post
    Here is a look at what Emery in Chicago means for him, Crawford and Salak.

http://thegoalieguild.com/2011/07/ex...ys-new-tryout/

It blows for Salak, but to be honest, he's probably better off starting in the AHL. If Crawford struggles, Hawks don't need to be exposing Salak to that madness. Especially with Quenneville at the helm.
    A sweet article for sure. Will be intereting to see how it plays out. Emery better bring his " A" attitude to Chicago though, if he sticks around. Some of the stuff he's pulled in the past won't fly in that locker room, but I think the guys will give him a clean slate from the get go.

Personally, I hope he takes the job as backup role. I think he can push Crawford and between the 2 of them form a very strong team in net. Salak may ultimately win the job as backup, but I dont know, this move by Chicago I think clearly shows they aren't confident in him and hope they find something with Emery. I also believe the Hawks will go far in the playoffs and if I'm deep in the playoffs and if something were to happen with Crawford I'd want a more proven option to turn to than Salak. Nothing against Salak at this time, I hope he continues to grow. If he still ends up being the backup then good for him, means he'll of earned it.

I love this situation for Chicago.

Dobber Sports Stud

Good stuff GG! I've been thinking of picking up Salak in my league (in sig) for some time - but we are only allowed to carry 3 goalies (we start 2). I just traded Howard for Edler, and the next day Chicago invites Emery to training camp!! So now I'm not sure if I should bother picking him up, or instead use the roster spot for a F or D and carry only 2 goalies. Would love your views.

Other goalies available: Elliott, Bishop, Poulin, Conklin, Karlsson, Clemmensen, Greiss, Irving, Stalock, Frazee, Tokarski, Pickard, Fasth.
    24teams;27players(20roster,7bench)dynasty(full keeper);
    Cap league based on NHL salaries (not cap hit);
    pool points:
    F/C: G 4pts; A 4pts; +/- 2pts
    D(min5,max9): G 8pts; A 5pts; +/- 4pts
    G(min2,max3): W 9pts; OTL 5pts; SO 4pts
    extra points for PPP

F:Kucherov,Kessel,Thornton,Galchenyuk,Hornqvist,Tr ochek,Atkinson,Jenner,SamBennett,Namestnikov,Point ,DShore,ZSanford,DStrome,ANylander,Guentzel,Kapane n,Kamenev
    D:Klingberg,Vatanen,Krug,Stralman,Pulock,Hanifin,W alman
    G:Fleury,Murray

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."

Dobber Sports Ninja

Interesting, the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread was that Crawford owners must be biting their nails off and Salak owners relying on him for some starts this season must be throwing things lol. Emery could definitely pull off the three-peat if Crawford falters.

I said it awhile ago, something about Chicago and goaltending just scares the hell outta me. There's been so much turnover in recent years. Definitely think its Crawfords job to lose though and if I were to put money on it I'd say he holds it. People are so worried about the sophomore slump but I don't see it with him. Talent + Age + Experience + Mental toughness is stuff that he's got.

Great write up as always Justin.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by His Dudeness View Post
    Good stuff GG! I've been thinking of picking up Salak in my league (in sig) for some time - but we are only allowed to carry 3 goalies (we start 2). I just traded Howard for Edler, and the next day Chicago invites Emery to training camp!! So now I'm not sure if I should bother picking him up, or instead use the roster spot for a F or D and carry only 2 goalies. Would love your views.

Other goalies available: Elliott, Bishop, Poulin, Conklin, Karlsson, Clemmensen, Greiss, Irving, Stalock, Frazee, Tokarski, Pickard, Fasth.
    In a keeper league I would look at Henrik Karlsson. He's going to play more this season and he's locked in for two years and at his size he's not going to be overlooked by other teams that might need a big goalie in 2 more years.

I don't think it would be worth it to pick up Salak right now because Emery, if healthy, is definitely going to lock in the backup role. Unless Salak really blows everyone away. I'm one of Salak's biggest fans and I still think Emery (if healthy) gets that backup role. Salak is probably better off starting off in the AHL anyways. It's a tough transition to make going straight from SEL to NHL (see Gustavsson).

Ironically, Karlsson made that leap and did fairly well. Same with Lindback.

Dobber Sports Stud

In a keeper league I would look at Henrik Karlsson. He's going to play more this season and he's locked in for two years and at his size he's not going to be overlooked by other teams that might need a big goalie in 2 more years.

I don't think it would be worth it to pick up Salak right now because Emery, if healthy, is definitely going to lock in the backup role. Unless Salak really blows everyone away. I'm one of Salak's biggest fans and I still think Emery (if healthy) gets that backup role. Salak is probably better off starting off in the AHL anyways. It's a tough transition to make going straight from SEL to NHL (see Gustavsson).

Ironically, Karlsson made that leap and did fairly well. Same with Lindback.
    Thanks, really appreciate the feedback.
    24teams;27players(20roster,7bench)dynasty(full keeper);
    Cap league based on NHL salaries (not cap hit);
    pool points:
    F/C: G 4pts; A 4pts; +/- 2pts
    D(min5,max9): G 8pts; A 5pts; +/- 4pts
    G(min2,max3): W 9pts; OTL 5pts; SO 4pts
    extra points for PPP

F:Kucherov,Kessel,Thornton,Galchenyuk,Hornqvist,Tr ochek,Atkinson,Jenner,SamBennett,Namestnikov,Point ,DShore,ZSanford,DStrome,ANylander,Guentzel,Kapane n,Kamenev
    D:Klingberg,Vatanen,Krug,Stralman,Pulock,Hanifin,W alman
    G:Fleury,Murray

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by b0ndon View Post
    Interesting, the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread was that Crawford owners must be biting their nails off and Salak owners relying on him for some starts this season must be throwing things lol. Emery could definitely pull off the three-peat if Crawford falters.

I said it awhile ago, something about Chicago and goaltending just scares the hell outta me. There's been so much turnover in recent years. Definitely think its Crawfords job to lose though and if I were to put money on it I'd say he holds it. People are so worried about the sophomore slump but I don't see it with him. Talent + Age + Experience + Mental toughness is stuff that he's got.

Great write up as always Justin.
    What I would say to this is that, I definitely agree with your formula (T+A+E+MT = success).

But my antithesis to that is JOEL QUENNEVILLE.

It's not that Crawford won't be able to compete at the same or higher level from last season, it's what happens when Crawford has a few rough outings and Quenneville freaks out. That's the bane of being a goalie on Quenneville's teams. His leash is brutally short.

Dobber Sports Ninja

What I would say to this is that, I definitely agree with your formula (T+A+E+MT = success).

But my antithesis to that is JOEL QUENNEVILLE.

It's not that Crawford won't be able to compete at the same or higher level from last season, it's what happens when Crawford has a few rough outings and Quenneville freaks out. That's the bane of being a goalie on Quenneville's teams. His leash is brutally short.
    Very true and you did highlight that in your article.

Oh well, as an owner of zero out of the three goaltenders I'm very excited to find out how the season plays out

Banned

i dont understand what the Hawks are doing here, wtf do they need with Ray Emery?

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    i dont understand what the Hawks are doing here, wtf do they need with Ray Emery?
    Means a few things.

1) Trust in Salak is not a 100%
    2) Pushes Salak
    3) Pushes Emery
    4) Pushes Crawford

It's a tryout, so why not? Nothing to lose to here at all, only something to gain. Emery could come in motivated and take a backup gig for the season. Emery could completely disappoint and if he does then we still have Salak. Crawford's job is and will be 100% fine however.

Nothing wrong at all with some solid competition during camp.

Dobber Sports Ninja

It does suck for fantasy owners for these three guys but I quite like how Justin put it into context.
    - Salak might be better served spending a full season re-transitioning back into the AHL instead of going from the SEL --> NHL
    - Don't know if its a good idea to throw Salak into the madhouse like that

Plus its mentioned that it could be just what Emery needs to get his career on track. Shake summarized the rest pretty well.

It could really work out for all parties involved.