Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Thread: St Louis Blues

Dobber Sports Ace

Default St Louis Blues

I would like to start off by giving thanks to everyone who have helped me on my way here, shakes and GMG. I would like to try and do semi regular updates regarding the blues and their up and coming prospects. I have not actively cheered for the blues since Gretzky and Hull were lacing them up. I still vividly remember Stevie Y coming across the blue line and ripping a shot to the top corner. It still hurts seeing that highlight knowing that was one of the last few chances Gretzky would get. At that time the blues had a lot of good pieces in place. In ways they were kind of trying to re unite a lot of former oilers to create the same atmosphere. Gretzky, MacTavish, Anderson, Fuhr, Huddy along with Hull, MacInnis, Corson, Courtnall, Pronger. Even after that devastating loss the blues continued to push hard for their first ever stanley cup and got close but were eventually bettered by a guy by the name of Raymond Bourque.

The blues have had their fair share of struggles in the past 7 years but John Davidson has done an amazing job of stock piling talent and building from within. Davidson's success in the first 3 rounds of the draft has been outstanding. To be able to grab guys like Perron, Oshie, Backes and Berglund all in the late 1st or later is outstanding. Its a lot easier to turn a top 10 pick into a top 6 forward, but to be able turn 4 of these guys into significant contributors is shrewd judgment by the management team.

The biggest challenge facing the blues this upcoming season is trying to find which players are going to fit into the top 9 and which players are going onto different pastures. With Tarasenko and Schwartz possibly competing for a roster spot in 1-3 years decisions are going to be made sooner rather than later.

The way i see the blues top 9 shaping up for the start of next year

Oshie/Backes/McDonald
    D'Agostini/Berglund/Stewart
    Langenbrunner/Arnott/Steen

I feel that the blues will roll with a more 1A/1B lineup rather than having a genuine 1st line. Steen could slide up if there is a couple of injuries or if D'Agostini struggles early on. I dont feel like Langenbrunner or Arnott will challenge the first 2 lines. They were brought in to try and mentor and teach the younger kids the daily rigors of being in the nhl year in and out. I think their presence will do wonders for a kid like Oshie, who at times looks like he has a bit to much fun and not enough focus.

I think its gonna be an exciting season for the blues with a lot of up and downs. I dont feel like this team is a playoff team just quite yet, personally i see them slotting in somewhere between 13th and 10th in the western conference. Im looking forward to following their struggles and success more closely.
    10 Team Yahoo Semi Keeper H2H Daily lineups (Keep 5 Vets & 5 Rookies), Play 3C, 3RW, 3LW, 4D, 2G daily

C-Giroux, Matthews (R), Petterson, Barzal (R)
    LW-Rakell
    RW-Tarasenko, Aho (R), Boser (R)
    D-Subban, Werenski (R)
    G-

Stats Counted:

G, A, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, +/-, GWG, SOG, Hits, Blocks, PIM
    Wins, Saves, Goals Against, Shutouts

Rookies Eligible till 170 GP

Dobber Sports Stud

welcome aboard!
    The Ultimate Fantasy Hockey League. (Keep 17)
    3C 3LW 3RW 6D 2G 6BE.
    G,A,+-,PIM,PPP,SHP,GWG,SOG,FW,HIT; GS,W,L,GAA,SA,SV, SV%,SO
    (C) Kopitar, Kuznetsov, O'Reilly, Karlsson, Roslovic, Zacha
    (LW) Ovechkin, Forseberg, Bertuzzi(RW),
    (RW) Rantanen, Bratt(LW), Radulov
    (D) Josi, Burns, Pietrangelo, Karlsson, Heiskanen, Dunn, Boqvist
    (G) Gibson, Quick, Hart, Petersen
    (IR) Domi

10 Person Farm: (<200GP for F, <100GP for G)
    (C) Zegras(LW), Bourque
    (LW) Kaliyev(RW)
    (RW) Glass(C), Raymond(LW)
    (D) Power
    (G) Ingram, Knight, Levi, Primeau

Dobber Sports Star

Welcome!

I got my hands on Berglund in a deal last year and I am really excited to see what he does this year.

I am expecting that he takes another step forward and hits 30-30 with a chance at 70 pts if everything falls into place.

Sound about right?
    20 Team Dynasty League - POINTS ONLY (Champion - 2017, 2016, 2015)

Goalie: W (3.5) SO (4) L (-1)
    Daily starts: 9 Fwd, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Wilson Beauvillier Labanc
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour
    Butcher Murray Bayreuther

Fleury
    Domingue

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by loco man View Post
    Welcome!

I got my hands on Berglund in a deal last year and I am really excited to see what he does this year.

I am expecting that he takes another step forward and hits 30-30 with a chance at 70 pts if everything falls into place.

Sound about right?

I think that sounds just about right for Berglund. I don't think you're taking a big risk counting on him to give you 60+ this year, 70 is a stretch though (probably less than 25% chance he makes it there).

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Ninja

The Blues are actually one of my favourite teams to watch, found myself checking out a lot of their games near the end of last year. Definitely a bright future ahead with a lot of those young stars.

I'm glad you see that is the starting 9, that's exactly who I had penciled into each line as well. I think you're right about the 1A/1B concept, as I think its time for Berglund/Stewart to be getting more opportunities to shine.

Glad to have someone to talk the Blues with!

Edit: Based on their PP lines last year, I'm thinking something along the lines of

Mcdonald-Berglund-Stewart + Pietrangelo-Shattenkirk --> This was an absolutely filthy PP. They worked really well with Berglund at the half boards and Stewart in front of the net.
    Steen-Oshie-Backes with Arnott manning the point + Coliacovo

Unfortunately I think D'Agostini gets boned here again lol.
    Last edited by bondon; July 27, 2011 at 9:21 AM.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Icon

Welcome aboard Diamondback!

I actually see St Louis being much more competitive than 10th to 13th this year, despite the brutal competition in the West.

Their forward corps is really deep and now there's a ton more leadership with Arnott, Langenbrunner and (underrated signing) Nichol coming aboard, and there was already lots of leadership with Steen and Backes. Besides the top 9 you mentioned, which would be bolstered SIGNIFICANTLY if Perron returns healthy at some point next season, they've got a very gritty 4th line anchored by Crombeen and Nichol.

Their goaltending is just fine, Halak is a gamer and should keep them in most games and steal more than his fair share when the team hasn't brought its A game.

Their D is young but pretty damn solid. Offensively they have two of the most dynamic young offensive Dmen in the league in Shattenkirk and Pietrangelo, and Pietrangelo also brings size (6'3 205) and underrated two-way play. Then they have the vets with experience in Jackman and Huskins, who also brings size (6'4). Plus they have another offensive Dman with good skating and puckmoving ability and underrated grit factor in Colaiacovo (although he is maddeningly injury-prone). And finally you throw Polak into the mix, who is coming into his own as a stay at home dman.

With a lineup like this, if they can avoid the just BRUTAL injuries that impacted them last year, they should be battling teams like Nashville for the 7th or 8th spots. They should easily finish ahead of Colorado and Edmonton, and my bet is that they finish ahead of Dallas, Minnesota, Phoenix and Calgary too.

My prediction, StLouis breaks through and finishes 8th and, with their roster including a few more Stanley Cup champions, presents a very tough first round opponent for Vancouver or San Jose in the West.

UPDATE: It's a longshot, but worthwhile mentioning the Cheechoo signing too. If he can return anywhere near his previous form, that's a big bonus too. Doubt it but you never know.
    Last edited by ross10019; July 27, 2011 at 9:57 AM.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Genius

The Blues seem to be on the verge of some good things. They're waiting, and have done a pretty good job being patient, for someone to step up and lead. Whether this comes from within (perhaps imminently) or whether they are able to land their own version of Richards/Carter the next time one comes available, waits to be seen. Their drafting has been excellent in recent years, so they can hope for the growth from within. It also means they have some trading power. They don't have the good luck with the high profile UFAs selecting them as a destination. To add that 80-90 point front man, would do a world of good for them, and hockey in St. Louis and push them over the top.

I really like the Arnott/Langenbrunner signings. This duo should add numerous elements to the team - off ice preparation, dealing with stress, game preparation, handling ones self in public, practise habits... not every day you add two former Stanley Cup winners and two players who have captained highly respected franchises. Oh, and they should still be assets when on the ice.

Dobber Sports Icon

Nice to have you following a team, db87...

I'm a huge fan of the Blues' roster, obviously Berglund, Oshie, Stewart, Shatts, Pietrangelo are all exciting players - I am also wondering what you think of another highly touted youngster - V Tarasenko. The Blues F corps is deep, and they have no need to rush him - he has expressed that his only desire is to play in the NHL, but of course there always remains some KHL threat. IMO he needs at least 1 yr in the AHL to get a feel for the N. American game, but by all accounts this guy is already close to ready...
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by loco man View Post
    Welcome!

Sound about right?
    I feel that Berglund really came into a zone in the second half of the season last year. He registered 31 points in his last 39 games. That averages out to .79 pts per game or roughly 65pts through an entire year.

I feel that your expectations are dead on. He should hit anywhere from 55-65pts but more likely he will probably get around 25g/35a. With Stewart now having a full year there I think that Berglund's totals should increase but not to dramatically yet. 70pts isnt out of the question for me one day but Berglund is going to have to get a lot better in his consistency and putting up pts night in and night out for that to happen.
    10 Team Yahoo Semi Keeper H2H Daily lineups (Keep 5 Vets & 5 Rookies), Play 3C, 3RW, 3LW, 4D, 2G daily

LW-Rakell
    D-Subban, Werenski (R)
    G-

Stats Counted:

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Welcome aboard. Always good to see another team covered.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    Welcome aboard Diamondback!

I actually see St Louis being much more competitive than 10th to 13th this year, despite the brutal competition in the West.

Their forward corps is really deep and now there's a ton more leadership with Arnott, Langenbrunner and (underrated signing) Nichol coming aboard, and there was already lots of leadership with Steen and Backes. Besides the top 9 you mentioned, which would be bolstered SIGNIFICANTLY if Perron returns healthy at some point next season, they've got a very gritty 4th line anchored by Crombeen and Nichol.

Their goaltending is just fine, Halak is a gamer and should keep them in most games and steal more than his fair share when the team hasn't brought its A game.

Their D is young but pretty damn solid. Offensively they have two of the most dynamic young offensive Dmen in the league in Shattenkirk and Pietrangelo, and Pietrangelo also brings size (6'3 205) and underrated two-way play. Then they have the vets with experience in Jackman and Huskins, who also brings size (6'4). Plus they have another offensive Dman with good skating and puckmoving ability and underrated grit factor in Colaiacovo (although he is maddeningly injury-prone). And finally you throw Polak into the mix, who is coming into his own as a stay at home dman.

With a lineup like this, if they can avoid the just BRUTAL injuries that impacted them last year, they should be battling teams like Nashville for the 7th or 8th spots. They should easily finish ahead of Colorado and Edmonton, and my bet is that they finish ahead of Dallas, Minnesota, Phoenix and Calgary too.

My prediction, StLouis breaks through and finishes 8th and, with their roster including a few more Stanley Cup champions, presents a very tough first round opponent for Vancouver or San Jose in the West.

UPDATE: It's a longshot, but worthwhile mentioning the Cheechoo signing too. If he can return anywhere near his previous form, that's a big bonus too. Doubt it but you never know.
    Your prediction is defiantly fair. I think the blues are one of those bubble teams and if everything goes right they could sneak into the playoffs. My biggest concern is injuries. They have a lot of guys who to me have been kind of injury prone in their careers. McDonald, Colaiacovo and Oshie have had their fair share of injuries already. If these 3 can stay relatively healthy for an entire year I think the blues chances of moving up the standings improve drastically.

At the start of last year the blues were really coming on strong out of the gate. Oshie to me was one of the biggest reasons for the quick start. He put up 10pts in 13 games. When Oshie is firing on all cylinders he is one of the more effective players in the game with his speed and intensity. He kind of reminds me of a poor mans Theo.

I agree with you on their veteran signings this off season. Bringing in Arnott, Langenbrunner, Huskins and Nichol will do wonders for this team. I think Nichol was an excellent signing who will help replace McClement on the PK.

Their D has a perfect mix of offensive guys along with tough defensive guys. Shatty and Pieter can manage the points on the PP and help get the puck in the back of the net. Jackman, Polak, Huskins can do their job in their own zone and knock guys done on their ass. Colaiacovo is the wild card in this bunch and if he could remain healthy for a season he could be a huge help. I feel that the earth is gonna freeze over before this guy plays a full season.

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
    Nice to have you following a team, db87...

I'm a huge fan of the Blues' roster, obviously Berglund, Oshie, Stewart, Shatts, Pietrangelo are all exciting players - I am also wondering what you think of another highly touted youngster - V Tarasenko. The Blues F corps is deep, and they have no need to rush him - he has expressed that his only desire is to play in the NHL, but of course there always remains some KHL threat. IMO he needs at least 1 yr in the AHL to get a feel for the N. American game, but by all accounts this guy is already close to ready...
    Thanks PD, I forgot to thank you, who i guess deserves all the credit since you were the one who guided me to this magical place. LOL. I plan on doing some write ups on some of the players like Tarasenko when i get the time. I think your dead on in saying he should be in the AHL for a year to get a feel for the game over here. Im mainly scared about the fact that he is Russian. You never entirely know what their intentions are until the decision day comes. I do have a gut feeling though his chances of coming over are a lot greater than a guy like Kuznestov. If he comes over here to play he could turn into one of the biggest steals of that draft. Everybody knew he had top 10 talent but that russian factor is always scary.

Quote Originally Posted by JHM View Post
    The Blues seem to be on the verge of some good things. They're waiting, and have done a pretty good job being patient, for someone to step up and lead. Whether this comes from within (perhaps imminently) or whether they are able to land their own version of Richards/Carter the next time one comes available, waits to be seen. Their drafting has been excellent in recent years, so they can hope for the growth from within. It also means they have some trading power. They don't have the good luck with the high profile UFAs selecting them as a destination. To add that 80-90 point front man, would do a world of good for them, and hockey in St. Louis and push them over the top.

I really like the Arnott/Langenbrunner signings. This duo should add numerous elements to the team - off ice preparation, dealing with stress, game preparation, handling ones self in public, practise habits... not every day you add two former Stanley Cup winners and two players who have captained highly respected franchises. Oh, and they should still be assets when on the ice.
    I agree, they are coming close to where they used to predominantly be for a few years. I think John Davidson has done an excellent job as GM and now they are finally starting to form into what his original vision was. It will be interesting to see what pieces fall and what pieces are added in the next couple of years. And thanks to everyone for the warm welcomes.

LW-Rakell
    D-Subban, Werenski (R)
    G-

Stats Counted:

Dobber Sports Ace

In the next coming months i will try to do a weekly article on some of the prospects and fantasy studs on their roster. For anybody that missed one of the better write ups i have ever read on Jaden Schwartz here is a link to an extensive read on one of the better up and coming prospects.

http://www.dobberhockey.com/index.ph...ad.php&t=87264

LW-Rakell
    D-Subban, Werenski (R)
    G-

Stats Counted:

Dobber Sports Monster

Awesome stuff Chris. Looking forward to it!

Dobber Sports Master

Hey diamondback, how many points should I expect from Backes this year? Is pegging him as a 68-70 point guy too high?
    "We've had a couple shakers in this place. This year we haven't had the time. We had a couple good ones last year, right?" - Phil Kessel

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by TK12555 View Post
    Hey diamondback, how many points should I expect from Backes this year? Is pegging him as a 68-70 point guy too high?
    I would think we probably will see numbers similar to last season. I think he should be close to your expectation but more realistically he should get around 65pts. I think in his peak season we could see 70+ but i see him constantly improving by a small margin. He is still only 27 so I think he is still on the upward slope in his career and we could some numbers close to a PPG once this team finally turns the corner

LW-Rakell
    D-Subban, Werenski (R)
    G-

Stats Counted: