Thread: Halak for Patrick Kane

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Halak for Patrick Kane

I just shipped out Callahan in a package to land Datsyuk, so I now need to fill my 3rd RW slot.

The GM that owns Perry and Patrick Kane and is really hurting in net. I put together a decent starting offer on Perry but it looks like he won't move him unless someone overpays. So my sights have shifted to Kane; seems like a good time to jump on him. This GM is high on Halak so I'm trying a straight up swap. He said 'maybe' when i first offered and now he said he just needs the day to think it over. it seems close...

thoughts on HALAK for Patrick KANE?

We start 3G in our 12 team league and I currently have 4 starters: Lundqvist, Halak, Anderson, Pavelec. I also have the #2 pick in this draft that will net me another top tier goalie - Bryz or Luongo or Miller are some of the names available in the first 3 to 4 picks.

I wanted to go into next season with 4 goalies so I had some insurance but now I'm thinking of shipping out all I can to have the best stable of skaters I can assemble.

With another GM I'm working on Ryan...
    the first trade pending is ANDERSON for Bobby RYAN
    but it might end up being PAVELEC for Bobby RYAN to get it done.

after these two trades and the draft my 3rd G would be Anderson/Pavelec behind Lundqvist and Whoever I can nab at #2 - plus RYAN and KANE.

sound like a good plan?
    14 team Keeper Points only - limited starting roster moves
    Start: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 3G
    C: Vilardi, Dvorak, Karlsson
    LW: Vrana, Hertl, Mangiapane
    RW: Kubalik, Point, Tuch
    D: Ty Smith, Hughes, Burns, Hronek
    G: Shesterkin, Varlamov, Vanacek
    BENCH
    Kakko, Turcotte, Sharangovich, Vilardi, Beckman, Perfetti, Lysell, Sillinger, McTavish
    Drysdale, Perunovich, R.Merkley, Fagemo
    Dostal

Dobber Sports Wizard

Looks to be a pretty solid plan to me. Two of the best keeper league wingers in the game, and being able to replace Halak with Bryz, Miller, or Reboundo? Don't see how that could be anything but a win.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Sounds like a great plan.

I would do both trades in a heartbeat. I think that they are both a steal on your behalf.

Out of curiosity; why is it that the 3 best goalies are going back into this year's draft?

C: Taveras, Malkin(RW),
    LW: Ovechkin, Lupul, Semin, Whitney
    RW. Wheeler, Parenteau, Jagr
    D: Letang, Keith
    G: Crawford, Niemi, Lehtonen, Emery

Points League C LW RW F F F D D D G G 5Bench
    G(3) A(2) P(1) PPP(1) PIM(0.5) GWG (2) SHG(2)
    W(4) GA(-1) SV(0.2) SO(4)

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Jesus, I wish I played in your league. None of the three offers you mentioned would even be momentarily considered in my league unless someone was extremely desperate for goaltending to win the season. They really are horribly one-sided.

So if you can get them to push through then more power to you, man.

If not, try to sweeten the pot by throwing in low draft picks and moderate players.

***RETURN THE FAVOR AND HELP ME OUT WITH THIS TRADE OFFER***
    http://www.dobberhockey.com/index.ph...d.php&t=106801
    ***Non-Descriptive Thread Titles Killed My Wife and Ate My Children***

10 Team Roto Keeper League (G,A,PPP,SHP,GWG,+/-,PIM, SOG // W,SAVES,GAA,SV%,SO)
    Full Keeper w/ Salary Cap [4C/4LW/4RW/6D/2G/5B, 82 gp per roster spot]

C: Crosby, Getzlaf, Ribeiro, Hodgson
    LW: Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Eriksson, Van Riemsdyk, Whitney
    RW: Gaborik, Stewart, Read, Selanne, Alfredsson
    D: Pietrangelo, Yandle, Edler, Wisniewski, E. Johnson, Whitney, Bieksa, Gardiner
    G: Lundqvist, Bryzgalov, Schneider

Minor League:
    Yakupov, Silfverberg, Bjugstad, Stone, Atkinson, J. Morrow, Palmieri, B. Smith, J. Bernier

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I am on board with everybody else make the trades before the other owners come back to reality.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Hellfish View Post
    Sounds like a great plan.

Out of curiosity; why is it that the 3 best goalies are going back into this year's draft?
    The reason why some solid goalies will be available is because of our draft turnover system.

When a team finishes in 1st place, he can only protect 4 of his players from his 30 man roster. Any player left unprotected, can be drafted by a bottom 6 finishing team with their draft picks. Only 2 players can be taken from each top 3 finishing team. Once 2 players are taken from a roster, that roster is then locked - the GM keeps the rest of his team. TOP 3 teams will lose 2 players (1 goalie Maximum) Teams 4,5,6 will only lose 1 player. BOTTOM 3 finishing teams can take 2 players, Teams 7,8,9 can take 1 player.

First place team can protect 4 players, Second place protects 5, Third place protects 6, Fourth place 7, Fifth place 8, Sixth place 9. Bottom 6 finishing teams are entirely protected.

Prospects are AUTO protected. If a player has remained on the farm and never been on a roster before, he retains prospect status and is auto protected. FOR EXAMPLE: Since Ennis has sat on my farm since the draft last year - he still retains PROSPECT status in our league and thus has more value than a player of equal value who is NOT protected.

This years Champ owns Ovechkin, H.Sedin, Richards, Iginla, RYAN, Bryz, Niemi, Miller

He can only lose a MAX of 1 goalie - so IF he were to protect Bryz he would still lose Niemi or Miller and waste one of his 4 keeper spots. If he trades me RYAN for PAVELEC (who he used to own and is high on) he will still come out of the draft with 3 solid starters and keep his 4 best skaters instead of 3 best.

The Kane owner finished 5th and owns: Stamkos, Perry, KANE, Carter, Stastny, Tanguay, etc. and his 3 best G are MAF, Neuvirth, Gustavsson.

Quote Originally Posted by the_walrus View Post
    Jesus, I wish I played in your league. None of the three offers you mentioned would even be momentarily considered in my league unless someone was extremely desperate for goaltending to win the season. They really are horribly one-sided.
    Since we're in a Start 3G 12 team league - Legitimate starters are quite valuable. Also - aside from trades - we can only make roster moves at Christmas break and the Trade dealine, otherwise rosters are locked. ie. No Streaming. Consistency and perennial injury history can skew player value even further in this setting.

Sorry for the long post - it's kind of complicated with many contributing factors to player value.
    BENCH
    Kakko, Turcotte, Sharangovich, Vilardi, Beckman, Perfetti, Lysell, Sillinger, McTavish
    Dostal

Dobber Sports Sage

It would take a couple of good years together to get me to part with Kane, for Halak. Could very well be worth it in the next two years, but I think I like Kane's upside better than Halak's.
    10tm Dynasty Lg - $96M CAP
    G A PTS +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV% SO

C: Barkov, Eichel, McDavid
    RW: P. Kane, Okposo
    LW: E. Kane, Couture
    D: Subban, Byfuglien, Faulk, Vatanen, Morgan Reilly
    G: Schneider, Gibson/Andersen
    UTIL: Kuznetsov, Kadri, Little, Stone

Farm
    D: J. Schultz, Sekera, Hanifin, Hamonic
    F: Spooner, Silfverberg, Konecny, Roussell
    G: F. Andersen/Gibson, Mason, Ward, Anderson

Prospect:
    F - D Strome, Burakovsky, Raantanen, Bjorkstrand
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Ninja

Oh okay I think I understand the system after reading it again. I was going to ask you what if he just drops Pavelec after he trades you Bobby Ryan allowing him to retain Miller/Bryz/Niemi, but if I understand it correctly you draft from the unprotected list of players on his team.

I like the deals assuming you can get a top tier goalie with your #2 pick. You are getting tremendous value in both deals. Assuming you get one of those three goalies you mentioned you would be rollign Lundqvist + _______ + Anderson. Is there any chance you can snag another goalie possibly in later rounds i.e. a Theodore as insurance in case of injury?
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

So after a few days of back and forth and not trying to look TOO eager, I pulled off both deals.

I ended up shipping

ANDERSON for RYAN

and then a couple hours later

HALAK + TARASENKO for PATRICK KANE

I didn't want to move TARASENKO but tried to remind myself of PROVEN over PROSPECT and how I need to win now. I think HALAK is gonna be pretty solid too but KANE seems like a way less volatile asset to own than HALAK anyway - swinging the value even further in my favor.

after these off season moves I think I'm a favorite to win this year as long as I don't get ravaged by injuries.

This offseason I shipped out: Halak, Anderson, Cammalleri, Subban, E.Kane, Callahan, Oshie, Anisimov, B.Connolly, R.Johansen, Markstrom, 2012 3rd round pick, 2012 1st round pick

and picked up: Lundqvist, Datsyuk, P.Kane, Benn, Ryan, Goligoski, Lidstrom, Lindback, 2011 #2 overall pick (Miller or Ward etc.)

@b0ndon - I shipped out one of my 1st round picks in my deal to land Datsyuk so if Theo is still around by the 2nd round I might try to snag him or if he isn't around, maybe Dekanich who seems like a good sleeper pick behind Mason in CLB.
    Last edited by CloakandSwagger; July 29, 2011 at 8:51 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
    BENCH
    Dostal

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by CloakandSwagger View Post
    So after a few days of back and forth and not trying to look TOO eager, I pulled off both deals.

I ended up shipping

ANDERSON for RYAN

and then a couple hours later

HALAK + TARASENKO for PATRICK KANE

I didn't want to move TARASENKO but tried to remind myself of PROVEN over PROSPECT and how I need to win now. I think HALAK is gonna be pretty solid too but KANE seems like a way less volatile asset to own than HALAK anyway - swinging the value even further in my favor.
    Nothing wrong with including Tarasenko. I love him as a player but the forward group in St. Louis is gonna be pretty crowded by the time he arrives. He's not coming over this year, and figure probably two seasons after he arrives with 40-50 points before he breaks out. That's a legit three year window for championships.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

This trade is win now vs. win later. He gets a pretty good goalie (overrated though) in Halak. Tarasenko is probably my favorite prospect out there right now, but he won't be in the NHL until next year or the year after. Kane is still very young and has a ton of talent, he will only get better with age. I truly think the little guy has the skills to hit 100 points in his prime (consistently). You got the best player in the trade, but if Tarasenko becomes a star you probably lose this deal. You win now, but it could cost you later.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Banned

I think that's a pretty nice deal for you, you've got some nice depth in net so you easily afford to give up Halak and Kane is a very nice return on him, I like it for your team

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thanks for replies!

It does feel like a 'Win Now' kind of deal. Like most of my moves this summer.

At the end of last year, my farm was pretty stacked - comparatively at least. So it seemed like a good time to ship out my young guns and pick up some win now guys. This also freed up some farm slots for this years drafted players. Also, most of the other GMs aren't too prospect savvy so - there are plenty of decent guys to take a flier on. Makes it easier to throw some good ones in on trades.

At the end of last year these were some of the guys still available on the wire; most of these guys will be picked up at the draft next week though I'm sure.

Mikael Granlund
    Zac Dalpe
    Teemu Pulkkinen
    Stefan Elliot
    Mark Dekanich
    Jaden Schwartz
    Jeremy Morin
    Emerson Etem
    Cam Atkinson
    Jacob Silfverberg
    BENCH
    Dostal

Dobber Sports Sage

Nice work, man. You've really turned this team into a contender, and without sacrificing too much in terms of age, either. You've received young players who will produce for a long time. Makes is easier to swallow sending out some young, good prospects. Good job!
    10tm Dynasty Lg - $96M CAP
    G A PTS +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV% SO

C: Barkov, Eichel, McDavid
    RW: P. Kane, Okposo
    LW: E. Kane, Couture
    D: Subban, Byfuglien, Faulk, Vatanen, Morgan Reilly
    G: Schneider, Gibson/Andersen
    UTIL: Kuznetsov, Kadri, Little, Stone

Farm
    D: J. Schultz, Sekera, Hanifin, Hamonic
    F: Spooner, Silfverberg, Konecny, Roussell
    G: F. Andersen/Gibson, Mason, Ward, Anderson