Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Thread: New York Islanders

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by robmyatt View Post
    do you see Tavares moving to the wing ever?
    It's a possibility but I wouldn't bet on it happening. I've heard poolies drooling over the possibility of Tavares on the wing with Strome at center but to be honest the case for Tavares staying at center seems stronger right now.
    - Has played center pretty much all of his career and doing just fine. The Isles probably don't wanna move him around too much.
    - Outstanding playmaking skills (he often is labelled as a sniper and as a result his playmaking skills tend to get overloooked)
    - Pretty good on faceoffs and should keep getting better

Now that Tavares has two seasons under his belt, and has really started to blossom at the position, I doubt the Isles will start tweaking, throwing a significant portion of his progress away. My expectation is that Tavares will continue to mature at the center position and become a steady 40G-50A stud in the not-so-distant future.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

The Magnificent One

Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    Thanks, newper.

I expect Niederreiter to make the team this year. I think there was a decent chance he would have stuck around last year if it wasn't for the Isles' losing ways; one of the motivations for sending him down was they didn't want him to start his career in a losing environment.

Realistically, he probably won't get much top six EV time but should see regular 3rd line minutes and 2nd PP unit. I see him getting around 35 points next year with a steady progression after that eventually settling in on around 70. If he ends up lining up with Tavares regularly, watch out.

For your league stats, I'd predict:
    g/a/+-/PIM/PPP/SHP/SOG
    20/15/-5/60/10/0/120
    cool thanxs. yeah i was hoping he would get to the 2nd line this year and get closer to the 45 point range but that was best case. your being more conservative but i like the 60 PIMs and 120 SOG. from a rookie thats pretty good for my fantasy team as i am using him as my 5th or even 6th RW option.

wow do i hope he gets to line up with tavares though. that would be something else.
    18 team H2H Keeper League
    G/A/PPP/SHP/GWG/SOG/FOW/Hits&blks/W/GAA/SV/SV%
    play 4c/8w/6d/1G (2min start)/6 bench/
    C: Hughes, Zacha, Howden, compher, Tierney, Frederic
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    D: Hughes, Ceci, Pelech, oleksiak, Holden, Poolman
    G: Markstrom, Oettinger,
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by newper114 View Post
    cool thanxs. yeah i was hoping he would get to the 2nd line this year and get closer to the 45 point range but that was best case. your being more conservative but i like the 60 PIMs and 120 SOG. from a rookie thats pretty good for my fantasy team as i am using him as my 5th or even 6th RW option.

wow do i hope he gets to line up with tavares though. that would be something else.
    Yes, I'm being conservative but he could surprise. He's an injury or two away from getting top six time and maybe even some top PP minutes. Wouldn't surprise me much if he hit 45.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Let's play a little trivia. Which Isles goalie will have the most wins next year? Here's a few hints: he won't miss half the season with injuries; he hasn't played in the KHL; his name doesn't rhyme with Moulin.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Let's play a little trivia. Which Isles goalie will have the most wins next year? Here's a few hints: he won't miss half the season with injuries; he hasn't played in the KHL; his name doesn't rhyme with Moulin.
    Mandy Patinkin.

Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by b0ndon View Post
    Mandy Patinkin.

Hehe. Still remember this vividly:
    Inigo Montoya: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
    Count Rugen: Stop saying that!

Dobber Sports Wizard

If you're looking for PIM, Matt Martin and Micheal Haley are two good options, especially with the departure of Konopka.

Martin had 14 points and 147 PIM in 68 games last year. He's also shown he can score at the junior level so he night turn into a nice multi-cat low-end player. He had 65 points in 61 games and 142 PIM in the OHL in 2008. At only 22 years old, he could still develop and 30 points isn't out of the question. Couple this with 150 PIM and you have a nice low-end multi-cat player.

There is also Micheal Haley. Last year, during his 27 game stint with the big club, he got 85 PIM, which prorates to 238 PIM over 82 games. He did sign a two-way deal for next year so there is some unknown about how many games he'll play with the Isles.

There's a third goon, Gillies, but I suspect he'll spend most of his time in the AHL with occasional call-ups.

Banned

If you're looking for PIM, Matt Martin and Micheal Haley are two good options, especially with the departure of Konopka.

Martin had 14 points and 147 PIM in 68 games last year. He's also shown he can score at the junior level so he night turn into a nice multi-cat low-end player. He had 65 points in 61 games and 142 PIM in the OHL in 2008. At only 22 years old, he could still develop and 30 points isn't out of the question. Couple this with 150 PIM and you have a nice low-end multi-cat player.

There is also Micheal Haley. Last year, during his 27 game stint with the big club, he got 85 PIM, which prorates to 238 PIM over 82 games. He did sign a two-way deal for next year so there is some unknown about how many games he'll play with the Isles.

There's a third goon, Gillies, but I suspect he'll spend most of his time in the AHL with occasional call-ups.
    cant you count on half the team for PIM after last year?

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    cant you count on half the team for PIM after last year?
    If they played against the Penguins every game, then yes

The Magnificent One

so i know i asked about nino already but as a follow up what position do we see him playing? is he a LW or RW
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by newper114 View Post
    so i know i asked about nino already but as a follow up what position do we see him playing? is he a LW or RW
    He has played both wings. I guess where he goes depends on what the team needs at the time. Isle's LW is less crowded so my guess is there's his best chance. If you're concerned about position eligibility, there is disagreement about his position among sources. For example, hockeydb lists him as LW but yahoo has him as RW.

The Magnificent One

He has played both wings. I guess where he goes depends on what the team needs at the time. Isle's LW is less crowded so my guess is there's his best chance. If you're concerned about position eligibility, there is disagreement about his position among sources. For example, hockeydb lists him as LW but yahoo has him as RW.
    Ok cool I think ten draft reviews also had him as rw. That will be good I use yahoo but usually if there is a conflict he tends to get dual positions. That would be awesome.

Dobber Sports Wizard

A critical vote is taking place on August 1st in Nassau county. The owner of the Islanders, Charles Wong, wants to get public funding for a new arena. He states that he won't keep the Isles playing at Nassau Coliseum past their lease end date, which is in four years, and that he won't build a new arena with his own money. So basically, this boils down to him saying he'll move or sell the team if he doesn't get the vote on Monday. Hmm, can you say North York Islanders The Leafs need some home competition.

Here's the full interview in case you're interested.

Dobber Sports Ace

i think they will find a way to make it work on the island. katz is doing the same thing up in edmonton and sooner or later everything will get finalized. i feel that albeit the islanders dont have the strongest fan base they are still going to try and do everything they can do to keep them on the island with their rich history.

looking at the attendence records for last year though the isles had the lowest avg attendence last year and the worst pct at 67.9%.
    10 Team Yahoo Semi Keeper H2H Daily lineups (Keep 5 Vets & 5 Rookies), Play 3C, 3RW, 3LW, 4D, 2G daily

C-Giroux, Matthews (R), Petterson, Barzal (R)
    LW-Rakell
    RW-Tarasenko, Aho (R), Boser (R)
    D-Subban, Werenski (R)
    G-

Stats Counted:

G, A, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, +/-, GWG, SOG, Hits, Blocks, PIM
    Wins, Saves, Goals Against, Shutouts

Rookies Eligible till 170 GP

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Forecast an Islander - Tavares

I am starting a regular (I'll aim for weekly) forecast posting on the more fantasy relevant Islanders.

Part One of my "Forecast an Islander" series - John Tavares.
    Prediction for 2011 - 80-85 points

Justification:

Career stats:
    2009 - GP 82, G 24, A 30, P 54
    2010 - GP 79, G 29, A 38, P 67

Tavares saw just over a 20% increase in production from his first to second year. Keep in mind that in 2010, Tavares had less support than in 2009 - Streit missed the whole year and Okposo missed the majority of the year - yet he still managed to improve his overall numbers. If we look at his PP numbers, he had 25 points in 2009 and 24 points in 2010, we can surmise that had he had better talent around him, like Streit and Okposo on the PP for most of the year, he would have seen an increase in his PP points as well. If we assume a similar number as part of his natural progression - around 20% - between his second and third, we arrive at 80 points.

However, the above calc only looks at full year stats without investigating within-year trends. The Islanders had a miserable first two months in 2010-11. They did not score a lot of goals, allowed many scored against and consequently only won 4 of their first 28 games. Tavares had 14 points in his first 25 games. But over the last 54 games of the season, he scored 53 points, which is 80 points when prorated over 82 games. So in fact, Tavares has already played a long enough stretch of games to have us suspect that he has already reached an 80-point pace. So here we have another sign pointing to an 80 season next year. Add the natural growth and improvement of a young star and one can easily add another 5 points.

Remember Stamkos' huge breakout in 2009, when he doubled his totals from the previous year? Well, Tavares is just as talented as Stamkos. He has the ability to break out in a big way. He just doesn't have the same supporting cast in New York that Stamkos has in Tampa. I don't expect 95 points from him next year, but with the Islanders improving as a team overall and with the return of talented players like Streit and Okposo for a full year, I expect no less than 80 next year.

Next, I'll look at Kyle Okposo.