Thread: Welcome - NHL Western Conference Team Coverage

Dobber Sports Assistant Manager

Default Welcome - NHL Western Conference Team Coverage

This section is dedicated to volunteer beat writers who will be keeping all of us updated on Western Conference NHL teams. At the moment we have 10 Western teams covered (see below), but our goal is to cover the entire National Hockey League.

In this section the information presented will be different with each writer as they have the liberty of covering any and all topics of their respective team. Topics include hot/cold streaks, injury updates, trade talk, player analysis, farm team and prospects etc...

Be sure to check in often and feel free to leave any and all feedback.
    Last edited by GMGates; December 13, 2011 at 10:06 PM.
    Gates Imbeau
    DobberHockey's HHOF - 2013 Builder's Category
    Twitter: @GM_Gates

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

i have a good feeling this section will be a great hit. members of the community helping other members. hopefully we can expand soon, i'd love for us to get a section on montreal, vancouver, and philly as i know for a fact we have a tonne of guys here that support those teams.

Administrator

I would be in favor of expansion into sub-forums for individual teams. That way people can write threads and replies can be directed at that article only. But I do like the current idea though, working on an article right now.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    I would be in favor of expansion into sub-forums for individual teams. That way people can write threads and replies can be directed at that article only. But I do like the current idea though, working on an article right now.
    Yeah that would be sweet! I think it would get more readers into this section cause they'd be able to ask a question without having to scan numerous pages of posts. Just food for thought.
    Follow me for some fantasy hockey, Jays tweets @thelandshock

That was originally our idea, but it does require some work on Dobber/Angus' side. To start we'll roll with how things are.

Some suggestions :

We can have one thread per team for Articles, and one for everything else.

For the thread that has everything else, we can renew it weekly and sticky the most recent week.

ie:

Toronto Maple Leafs Articles
    Maple Leafs Misc. Nov 22-28
    Maple Leafs Misc. Nov 29-5
    Maple Leafs Misc. Dec 6-12

We'll give it a three week run and if it gets too cluttered, we'll see that extra categories get placed.

GMG
    Gates Imbeau

Administrator

A healthy compromise (to avoid getting on the mod team's case) would be this: instead of a sub-forum for each team, let's stick to just this forum but all assigned writers are free to post articles as new threads here. Each writer just sticks to his own team. New threads appear on the main page for a while which brings in new readers that previously did not know about this section of the boards.

Just a thought.

I do agree that articles should be separate from the other team updates.

So I'm fine with whatever is easiest and whatever works. I'm sure you guys have seen that I like things organized, so as long as it follows the same pattern / style / format across the board then I'm totally cool with it.

What do you think praba?

btw, new writer on board - check above in a few minutes (I'm adding it now)
    Gates Imbeau

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    A healthy compromise (to avoid getting on the mod team's case) would be this: instead of a sub-forum for each team, let's stick to just this forum but all assigned writers are free to post articles as new threads here. Each writer just sticks to his own team. New threads appear on the main page for a while which brings in new readers that previously did not know about this section of the boards.

Just a thought.
    Was there ever a resolution on this? Should we be posting articles in this thread? Should we just start a new thread for all team-related articles (as opposed to game recaps, general comments, etc.)? Are there going to be sub-fora?

Personally, I would opt for creating a thread in this section entitled "Articles" where beat writers could post articles related to their team. Otherwise, it will be near impossible to find articles amidst the numerous pages of team discussion that are bound to accumulate.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Kudelskis Krushers View Post
    Was there ever a resolution on this? Should we be posting articles in this thread? Should we just start a new thread for all team-related articles (as opposed to game recaps, general comments, etc.)? Are there going to be sub-fora?

Personally, I would opt for creating a thread in this section entitled "Articles" where beat writers could post articles related to their team. Otherwise, it will be near impossible to find articles amidst the numerous pages of team discussion that are bound to accumulate.
    I've been posting articles within my own thread and had mixed results especially when I post a few team updates and the article quickly becomes too far back for people to really see. It's not a big deal though, as I've been getting a ton of good feedback and back-and-forth discussion regarding the stuff I post.

Administrator

Up over a third of teams covered! This is excellent progress. Good stuff PG, keep it up beat writers!
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

When the time comes and you have a full out article / column (over 550 words) that goes beyond your regular ramblings, previews, insights, advice, recaps, lines changes, injuries etc... feel free to post it in the PG Section with a link to your team thread at the end.

ie: [Montreal Canadiens] Player Report : Lars Eller
    [Carolina Hurricanes] Jussi Jokenin - Most Underrated Forward

GMG
    Gates Imbeau

Administrator

Thanks. That works out pretty well. The idea of having a new thread appear on the main page while it's in the 5 most recent is pretty cool as I've learned that's when it gets the most hits.

Dobber Sports Monster

Well dang, Lot's of Eastern conference teams covered, we need some Western conference love!!