Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Calgary Flames- Retired

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Calgary Flames- Retired

Hey everyone, my name is Chad and I've decided it's time to try this out and do some digging on the Calgary Flames for you. In reality I'm not really a Flames fan, truth be told I'm a true blue Avs fan that lives in Calgary. I grew up north of Moose Jaw and cheered on Joe Sakic and Theoren Fleury while they played junior... Joe is still my favorite player ever. Even my two boys (8 and 5) are Caps and Bruins fans respectively, though my 5 year old loves his "C" jersey so he has a bit of a team identity crisis going on right now. I've lived here in Calgary for the past 13 years and been around hockey all my life, plus I run two keeper fantasy leagues that carry tons of prospects (of which Calgary has very few but are slowly are getting better). I just love hockey!!

I am in admiration of some of the team coverage pages already, so while I can't promise the world I will do what I can. I will add some links from a few sites I've seen, it may not be ground-breaking reporting but at the very least maybe I can at least get some info out there for people who are having a hard time finding Flames coverage? I've found it to be a bit weak at times in the past - which for a Canadian team does surprise me a little. Oh, and since I'm an engineer by trade, creative writing may not be my strong suit, but information and opinions are!

Hope to find some good information for you this upcoming year! I'll have no problem posting the good and the bad, and give you my thoughts of what the Flames are (or aren't) doing right. Maybe Jay Feaster will hire me too!!

First Round Pick
    XGL - 16 Team, Points Dynasty League
    $114M cap, 54+ Players, Year #16 - 1st(6x): 08, 12-13, 16, 18-19

F(9+3R): Rantanen, P Kane, Bergeron, Lindholm, Tarasenko, Kadri, Olofsson+
    R: Newhook, Perfetti+
    D(5+2R): Makar, Hronek, Dunn, Sanheim, Andersson
    R: Seider, Harley+

G(2+1R): Price, Varly

WHL - 24 Team Dobber League (Lake Valley Thunder) - 2020/21 Champion
    F: Aho, Bergeron, OV, Hintz, Hoffman+
    D: Hedman, Makar, Werenski, Hronek+
    G: Andersen, Lankinen, Oettinger
    R: Reichel, Timmins, Bjornfot, Cormier, Johnston+

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Welcome aboard Chad!

When does the rebuild begin?

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Welcome aboard.... P.S. Flames Suck! Just kidding (kind of).

Actually like several flames players just can't cheer for the team as a whole, being an Oiler fan and all!

The Wolverine

Welcome Chad - looking forward to your contributions.

P.S. Flames Suck!
    Dyz - I'll pretend you didn't say that!

Dobber Sports Giant

good luck and have fun writing chad.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Padawan

My personal opinion is it should have started two years ago. However Iginla is simply a proud guy and a virtual city icon here (maybe second only to Lanny MacDonald... yes, Lanny still draws tons of people here). When they first missed the playoffs it should have been time to trade out, only at that time they had the largest number of no-movement clauses in the league. Bringing on J-Bo has been a flop at best, and though people here knew Phaneuf was severely resting on his laurels after his Norris candidacy, that trade simply pushed the organization back three years behind in developing what they should have had. How do you trade Phaneuf (and include Aulie) and not bring back a single draft pick in return? That in itself was the beginning of the end of Sutter. Imagine what a team with a prospect system similar to LA (though they never would make that deal) could have given the Flames? Or San Jose two years ago? Instead Stajan will make 3.5 million on the 3rd/4th line...

Ok, enough ranting for a moment. I like this site the best for Flames coverage and the write-ups are interesting, not just from a Flames angle either. This was linked in the Ramblings last week but it's appropriate to post here for info purposes.

http://flamesnation.ca/2011/7/13/fla...-and-interview

1. Sven Bartschi, Left Wing
    2. T.J. Brodie, Defense
    3. Greg Nemisz, Right Wing
    4. Max Reinhart, Center
    5. Ryan Howse, Left Wing
    6. Chris Breen, Defense
    7. Paul Byron, Center
    8. Mitch Wahl, Center
    9. Roman Horak, Center
    10. Lance Bouma, Center

One final look at trade history... if Calgary doesn't make the Jokinen deal, they keep their 1st round pick to get Gormley. Then they aren't cap restrained from signing Erixon to 1st round pick money and don't trade him away this summer... those two on the back end with J-Bo and Giordano would have been a nice top-4.

Dobber Sports Monster

Thumbs up

Welcome aboard Chad

Dobber Sports Assistant Manager

Off to a great start, Chad!

Looking forward to the direction you take this thread!
    Gates Imbeau
    DobberHockey's HHOF - 2013 Builder's Category
    Twitter: @GM_Gates

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Erixon

Heard the Flames offered Entry Level max to Erixon, he just didn't want to sign with the Flames. At least Feaster got something for him.

Dobber Sports Stud

Good luck Chad!
    The Ultimate Fantasy Hockey League. (Keep 17)
    3C 3LW 3RW 6D 2G 6BE.
    G,A,+-,PIM,PPP,SHP,GWG,SOG,FW,HIT; GS,W,L,GAA,SA,SV, SV%,SO
    (C) Kopitar, Kuznetsov, O'Reilly, Karlsson, Roslovic, Zacha
    (LW) Ovechkin, Forseberg, Bertuzzi(RW),
    (RW) Rantanen, Bratt(LW), Radulov
    (D) Josi, Burns, Pietrangelo, Karlsson, Heiskanen, Dunn, Boqvist
    (G) Gibson, Quick, Hart, Petersen
    (IR) Domi

10 Person Farm: (<200GP for F, <100GP for G)
    (C) Zegras(LW), Bourque
    (LW) Kaliyev(RW)
    (RW) Glass(C), Raymond(LW)
    (D) Power
    (G) Ingram, Knight, Levi, Primeau

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by orangie6465 View Post
    Heard the Flames offered Entry Level max to Erixon, he just didn't want to sign with the Flames. At least Feaster got something for him.
    Curious about the signing bonus part though and how much he was looking for... but I had heard rumblings of that part of it too. Odd actually, something doesn't quite seem right there. In the end that deal becomes Erixon for Werek, Markus Granlund and Tim Wotherspoon (D, Portland). So I guess we'll see... Flames need some top-end prospects... but shouldn't complain - at least they now have a prospect group people have heard of.

Dobber Sports Novice

Good to see some Flames rep on the site. I live north of Calgary in so called "Oil Country" so I am an under the radar Flames fan.

What's your thoughts on the Regher deal? I know as a long time fan I was not happy with the return and feel like the Flames moved 2 top end Dmen in Dion and Regher and have very little to show for it. Thoughts? Also do you think the Flames will trade Iggy if they start to go south this year?

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by torpedo View Post
    Good to see some Flames rep on the site. I live north of Calgary in so called "Oil Country" so I am an under the radar Flames fan.

What's your thoughts on the Regher deal? I know as a long time fan I was not happy with the return and feel like the Flames moved 2 top end Dmen in Dion and Regher and have very little to show for it. Thoughts? Also do you think the Flames will trade Iggy if they start to go south this year?
    Well like most others, I was also disappointed in the return of Paul Byron and Chris Butler. But it has to be looked at with a small amount of realism. This was just as much of a financial transaction as anything... just as the Leafs took on Lombardi's salary in the Franson deal (also a deal widely panned), the Flames got rid of Regehr's salary plus eliminated Kotalik's $3 million salary as well. Unfortunately the new administration had to pay for the previous era's mistakes. So to get rid of $7+ million in salary, a 2nd had to leave and Byron and Butler was the most they could get.

Is it a good deal? I liked Butler two years ago as he left early from Denver, and he seemed to have some game. Last year was a regression though, so hopefully a change in scenery brings his game back to 2009 upside. Byron has been a good player who's overachieved... will he make a difference? Hard to say, he's a bit small and will need to show he can play... but the Flames need prospects and he's a top-10 guy now. The other thing to not forget is he may get a shot just because the new Feaster regime brought him in. They will give him a shot if he plays well.

As for Iggy, I just don't see him moving. The man is a mythical beast... this is where he started and I think management knows better than to trade their meal-ticket. Calgary is a bit more of a fair-weather crowd - trading Iggy will make corporate tickets harder to give away. That results in fewer renewals and the start of a potential death-spiral in support. Think about it, he's on Scotiabank commercials because he's viewed as a perfect family guy who normal people like to see. Even if the team isn't playing well! If he's on your team you don't trade that away. The only way I see that happening is if the two sides come together like Bourque did and make a mutual choice for the player at the start of a year... both sides came out winners in that deal, but it's rare. Very rare.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Hey Chad, really appreciate the efforts for covering the Flames.

I was wondering if I could get the lowdown on Tim Jackman. I know he's pretty much just a grinder/enforcer type player, but beyond that I don't know much about him other than he somehow always scores on Luongo when the Flames play the Canucks.

With guys like Ivanans and Kostopoulos on the team, is there any chance Jackman gets shortchanged here? Need to know because I'm relying on Jackman to pile on some peripheral stats (PIM/Hits/Blks) and chip in with the odd point in a depth role. He had a pretty good year last season but he's going to end up being a pressbox regular then I might need to plan for it. I'm assuming barring injury Jackman has no hope of being anything other than a fourth liner this season, as the top 9 seems to be pretty much set with Iginla Langkow Tanguay Stajan Hagman Moss Bourque Glencross Jokinen.

I think I remember seeing Jackman playing quite well with Moss and Glencross on a line.

Thanks bud!
    Last edited by bondon; July 27, 2011 at 9:49 AM.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Padawan

From the games I watched with Jackman, I would personally give him a leg up on Ivanans and Kostopoulous. Ivanans got KO'ed that first game so it's hard to say what he could have brought, but Jackman stepped it up and contributed offensively at times as well like you mentioned. He seemed to relish the opportunity, and definitely fulfilled every expectation they had for him coming in to last year. He also became a bit of a crowd favorite as well...

I think you should be safe counting on him for the peripherals and the odd move up when one of the top lines needs some more physicality.

Also, don't be surprised if Hagman gets dumped in the AHL like Kotalik last year... the return on the Phaneuf deal continues to haunt Calgary.