Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Top Five Breakout Candidates for 2011

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Top Five Breakout Candidates for 2011

Recently the question was posed to me, "who are your top five breakout players for the upcoming season"?
    Great question. Before I answer, I first need to make sure we are on the same page as to what a "breakout" is, and who qualifies. For purpose of this article, my criteria for a "breakout" are as follows.
    For a player to have a breakout season he has to have played at least one full season in the NHL. This excludes rookies. I will also not consider players like Zach Parise who missed last year with an injury or other players who have had success in the past but slumped last year. Those are "rebounds" and for another article and another day. My top five breakout players for 2011 are:

5. Evander Kane, Winnipeg
    Kane was drafted in the fourth over all in 2009 by Atlanta and made the NHL in his rookie season. At twenty years old Kane is still growing, physically and professionally. Kane is a power forward and at 6-2, 195 he is small by NHL power forward standards but plays a physical, big mans game. Kanes assets are his aggressiveness, skating, and skill. A strong skater who protects the puck well and is elusive. Skating continues to improve as Kane gets stronger and faster. Kane has natural goal scoring instincts and has a nose for the net. Seems to sniff out scoring opportunities and scoring lanes. Can find his way to the goal off the rush, or muscle his way there from the boards. If no lane is open, Kane is an accomplished passer while under pressure. In his rookie season Kane scored 26 points for 0.39 points per game playing 13:59 a game and getting off 127 shots. Those stats rose significantly in his sophomore season scoring 43 points for 0.59 points per game, playing 22:09 a game and had 234 shots. No sophomore jinx there! Expect even more improvement for Kane as his role increases.
    Kane has continued to improve and there is still room for improvement in terms of his hockey sense on the defensive side of the puck.
    I forecast another 15-20 point increase this season for Kane. 25 goals 40 assists for 65 points is high end, but within reach of this rising star.

4. Alex Edler, Vancouver
    Edler is entering his prime and looks to be ready to assume the mantle of undisputed number one defender on the power house Canucks. At 25 and entering his sixth season the conditions are never going to be better for Edler to breakout. Edler missed thirty one games last season, but still amassed thirty three points for a high of 0.65 points per game. With Christian Ehrhoff departing to Buffalo via UFA, Edler has the opportunity to play all key situations including prime time on the PP with the Sedin twins. Edler lacks elite skating and speed, and fails to utilize his size. Edler has made improvements in his consistency in terms of his defensive game, and has begun to show signs of taking advantage of his size. Signs that show he is beginning to put it all together. Edler is a smart player who reads plays well especially offensively as he makes smart pinches and combines his stick skills to find either open ice or team mates. Great vision and skills and improving skating combined with ideal circumstances tell me this is the year Edler breaks out and puts up a sixty point season.
    I forecast 15 goals and 45 assists

3. Erik Johnson, Colorado
    Johnson is a former first overall draft selection who had his development interrupted by missing an entire season to a fluke injury. Now three years later and about to enter his fourth season and still only twenty three, Johnson is ready to take the next step. Johnson was involved in a blockbuster trade last season that had him move from St. Louis to Colorado and went from scoring 0.35 to 0.45 points per game! In St. Louis Johnson was competing with Alex Pietrangelo for prime time minutes. In Colorado, it was the Erik Johnson show! His game was dramatically improved. Johnson was clearly running the power play. Johnson was carrying the puck up the ice with confidence and frequency. I have watched this player for years now and have seen him dominate games. Playing for U.S. internationally Johnson has shown why he was first overall in his draft year. With St. Louis there has been a few signs of his talent and potential but it seems that Colorado has unleashed all of his potential.
    For a big man Johnson is a very impressive skater and has a lethal shot. Johnson can rush the puck using his puck handling skills and skating simultaneously. The power play in Colorado will be all Johnson, as John-Michael Liles was recently moved out to Toronto. Johnson has a great point shot, makes smooth passes and pinches effectively. Johnson has had two modest point totals over the past two seasons, scoring twenty nine and twenty one points. Expect a twenty point jump, nearly doubling his points this year!
    I forecast 15 goals and 35 assists for a monster 50 point season as a max upside and at least 10goals and 30 assists for 40 points minimum!

2. Jakub Voracek, Philadelphia
    Voracek has been targeted for a breakout by many for two years now. So what is different this year that I think he actually may do it? He got out of Columbus this off season and now plays for the very deep and offensively focused Philadelphia flyers. Voracek is a supremely talented playmaker with hands of gold, and great offensive vision. No longer counted on as one of two options to carry the team. In Philadelphia Voracek will have the opportunity to play with quality line mates under less pressure and may not face opposing teams premier defenders as consistently. Entering his fourth NHL season Voracek is set up for a massive break out season. Voracek lacks elite level skating but is improving, otherwise consistency is the only thing holding him back from greatness. The last two seasons Voracek scored 50 and 46 points in Columbus. In Philadelphia an 80 point season is well within grasp!
    I forecast 30 goals and 50 assists

1. Jamie Benn, Dallas
    As a fifth round pick, Benn is a steal! His development over the last four years is incredible! In his rookie season Benn played all 82 games and scored 41 points (including 22 goals) for an impressive 0.5 points per game. Then avoided the sophomore jinx by scoring 56 points (again scoring 22 times) in only 69 games last season for 0.81 points per game. This summers hottest UFA player was Brad Richards who left Dallas for the New York Rangers, leaving Benn to compete with Mike Ribeiro for the number one center position. No contest! Benn has all the tools, he is big and skates well with deceptive top speed. Handles and controls the puck very well. A better shooter than passer as illustrated by his back to back 22 goal seasons. Benn is a smart player also as he makes sound decisions both offensively and defensively. Not very good at face-offs averaging only 43.1% last season, but at only 22 years old there is plenty of time to refine that weakness. Many feel Dallas had to let Richards go due to ownership issues, but perhaps knowing Benn is ready to take over as the franchise player had some influence as well, and make no mistake Benn is the franchise player for Dallas.
    I forecast Benn to deliver 30 goals and 50 assists for 80 points

These are my top five candidates for a breakout this season. Not all may achieve my forecast of course but I choose these players for similar reasons. They all posses at least two or three of the core components of skill, skating, speed, and smarts. But most importantly, I choose these five players because they all share one very important factor. Opportunity! Every one of these players has a different opportunity this season than they did this time last year. Every one of these players is a clear top player in their position for their team and, if healthy has an excellent opportunity to have a break out season.

For more visit: http://fantasyhockeynerd.blogspot.co...-for-2011.html
    Last edited by pharling; July 18, 2011 at 12:50 PM.

The Great One

If Voracek gets 80 pts, I will have a heart attack. Heck, if he has 65 pts I'd be shocked. I hope for 65, but I think expecting 80 is a bit much.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Grand Master

2077? I think several of these breakout players will be dead by then.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

And also some of those are pretty outlandish... Voracek at 80 and Benn at 80? Wow. Those are like their ideal long-term upsides (which the majority of players never even reach).

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    2077? I think several of these breakout players will be dead by then.
    LOL, I Know, I just noticed that too. Not sure what happened but maybe that was supposed to be 2011.
    Working on fixing that....

Dobber Sports Monster

[QUOTE=pharling;745444]LOL, I Know, I just noticed that too. Not sure what happened but maybe that was supposed to be 2011.
    Working on fixing that....[/QUOTE

Done - Fixed

[QUOTE=Shakedown;745447]
    Quote Originally Posted by pharling View Post
    LOL, I Know, I just noticed that too. Not sure what happened but maybe that was supposed to be 2011.
    Working on fixing that....[/QUOTE

Done - Fixed
    Nice, Thank you very much!

The Great One

you know what I hate about fantasy hockey...every year there will, guaranteed, be 3 or 4 players that actually do break out and surprise the hell out of everyone. Did anyone really think Perry would win the scoring title? A lot of people had been predicting that Giroux (prior to last year) would eventually break out, but some (a lot) thought he'd have to wait just a bit longer because of the depth ahead of him. Well, we all know what happened there. Letang is another one. People thought he'd eventually break-out, but with Goligoski and the newly signed Martin, many thought it would take a bit longer. How many thought Byfuglien would score over 50 pts?

I say all this because guessing (or guessing wrong) about the break-out players is very frustrating. If you guess wrong (as I did with Giroux, Letang, Perry, Green (a long time ago), and Shattenkirk), you look like an idiot for cutting ties too soon.

For example, in this coming season I have to choose between Voracek and Heatley. I am leaning on keeping Heatley, but if he puts up another 64 pts and Voracek puts up 80 (not likely, but I guess possible), then I look like an idiot again!
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by pharling View Post

5. Evander Kane, Winnipeg
    I forecast another 15-20 point increase this season for Kane.

4. Alex Edler, Vancouver
    I forecast 15 goals and 45 assists

3. Erik Johnson, Colorado
    I forecast 15 goals and 35 assists for a monster 50 point season as a max upside and at least 10goals and 30 assists for 40 points minimum!

2. Jakub Voracek, Philadelphia
    I forecast 30 goals and 50 assists

1. Jamie Benn, Dallas
    I forecast Benn to deliver 30 goals and 50 assists for 80 points
    Great effort into these.
    Ah - now we all get to play AGREE/DISAGREE !!!

E.Kane: Slight disagree. I watched him a lot here in Atlanta. He puts out a ton of effort and really plays hard. I don't think he's adjusted yet to the speed of the NHL and it just doesn't seem he gets his head up enough to pick corners on shots or pass the puck. He's still a couple years away, IMO.
    55pts (+12pt increase)

A.Edler: Agree - sort of. Edler won't score 15 goals because VAN wants him moving the puck on the PP, not shooting it. 10-45-55pts is fair though.

EJ: Agree. I'm really not completely sold on him as an overall player, but COL is going to give him a TON of PPP. 40-50pts should be the range for any "good" PP-QB. He'll get enough touches to rack up the second assists on the COL PP.

Voracek: BIG Disagree. He's had his chances on top lines. I actually like the way he skates, but he just doesn't seem to try hard enough... or maybe he doesn't have high-level hockey sense. I don't know. Overall - there is something not clicking about his game. Zherdev racked up points in CBJ and couldn't do it in PHI. I know Voracek is much younger... but I think CBJ was a place where there was no pressure and he should have thrived. I don't see him performing better with pressure.
    58pts.

Benn: Disagree. He's still going to be very good.
    68pts (though) is a good enough improvement for the coming year.

Dobber Sports Monster

Not bad Pharling.

Im on board with Kane and EJ

I disagree with Voracek. No way he'll hit 80 points in 2011. Same for Benn.

Good intent with the article though, and certainly your opinion

Perhaps 80 was a tad high for Voracek. I do believe he will have a breakout season tho. At least in the 70 point range.
    I have been wrong before of course. Very very wrong. I completely believed that Bryan Fogarty would have a 80 point season and win the Norris trophy.
    Yeah, that never happened!

Dobber Sports Ninja

Haha yeah I saw the name earlier too and was like...WHAT? How is Pharling going to predict 66 years into the future LOL.

While I think all of your projections (except for EJ) were crazy high, I enjoyed reading this article.
    I think you might want to temper your definition of breakout because all your breakouts would have to absolutely explode in order to hit the numbers that you predicted.

i.e. Edler I would consider a 50 point season to be a breakout, to me 60 points is unrealistic.

But hey, who knows maybe by the end of this season we'll be saying "wow nobody saw that coming but pharling did" lol.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

I am sure you are right, but what's the point in predicting a measly ten point increase. No fun in that!

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Great effort into these.
    Ah - now we all get to play AGREE/DISAGREE !!!

E.Kane: Slight disagree. I watched him a lot here in Atlanta. He puts out a ton of effort and really plays hard. I don't think he's adjusted yet to the speed of the NHL and it just doesn't seem he gets his head up enough to pick corners on shots or pass the puck. He's still a couple years away, IMO.
    55pts (+12pt increase)

A.Edler: Agree - sort of. Edler won't score 15 goals because VAN wants him moving the puck on the PP, not shooting it. 10-45-55pts is fair though.

EJ: Agree. I'm really not completely sold on him as an overall player, but COL is going to give him a TON of PPP. 40-50pts should be the range for any "good" PP-QB. He'll get enough touches to rack up the second assists on the COL PP.

Voracek: BIG Disagree. He's had his chances on top lines. I actually like the way he skates, but he just doesn't seem to try hard enough... or maybe he doesn't have high-level hockey sense. I don't know. Overall - there is something not clicking about his game. Zherdev racked up points in CBJ and couldn't do it in PHI. I know Voracek is much younger... but I think CBJ was a place where there was no pressure and he should have thrived. I don't see him performing better with pressure.
    58pts.

Benn: Disagree. He's still going to be very good.
    68pts (though) is a good enough improvement for the coming year.

Tend to agree with all of Pengwin's points, but I would up Benn a bit. I think Benn could easily hit the 70-75 point mark this year. He's going to be centering Eriksson this year, most likely (I imagine Benn/Eriksson (maybe with Ott) and Ribeiro/Morrow/Ryder will line up together) and that should give him a big boost with Richards no longer in the picture. But 68's a reasonable enough prediction for this year.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Ace

Wasn't Edler on pace for 50 before he got hurt?

I think either this year or next year he will have 60 points, +30 and 100-150 hits and that will his coming out party.... If I did this as a Hockey future rating system I would give him a Lidstrom C (his top top top potential is to be lidstrom like but more physical and he has a not great chance of quite getting there... think more like 2 Norris's; not being Mr. Norris.)
    Data Science Intern, Pebble
    COO, Quidditch Post
    Associate Editor, Dobber Sports Network
    Hockey Operations Intern, UBC Thunderbirds

Top 100 Roto
    Dobber Prospects

Ask me your fantasy questions on Twitter: @austeane
    My main league:

H2H Each Cat - Yahoo - 14 teams - Real Cap Hit - 85m cap
    Start: 2C 2LW 2RW 4D 2U 2G 7B daily (21)
    Cats: G A +- PIM SOG PPG PPA SHP GWG FW HIT W
    GAA SV SV% SO
    Edler's Mind Tricks:
    C:, Lehtera, Plekanec, Kuznetsov, Komarov
    LW: Benn, Kreider, Roussel
    RW: Malkin, Yakupov, Nyquist
    D: Subban, Letang, Karlsson, Jones, Dillon, Deslauriers
    G: Bobrovsky, Lehner, Elliott
    JV: Sekac, Petan, Poirier, Vrana, Fleury, Sanheim, Galiev, 5th, 9th, 15th, 18th, 24th overall amateur picks