Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sens' Super Swedes

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Well I don't understand how they do it, becuase most of the 3YP's in the prospects guide are very low to me, if you're talking about 3 best years.

Silfverberg's is like 39 points. I don't see how that is an average fo his 3 best years.
    Yeah, some projections seem conservative. Well, here's Dobber's description of the 3YP concept:
    I have also added to this FPR my 3YP stat that I introduced to you in the recent Midseason Guide. This is a stat that gives you a “likely” result of the particular prospect’s future performance over the best three years of his NHL career. So while “upside” is the top end of his potential that he probably will not reach, the “3YP” is a number that is closer to home.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I thought A LOT of those projections were veeeeery conservative.
    GO WINGS!

Banned

Yeah, c'mon Dobber, put your balls on the line and make some bold predictions for 3YP

Banned

Just thought I'd post some videos so people can get to know these prospects better.

Most are in HD!

Jakob Silfverberg:

http://youtu.be/lQM1B1StRVY

David Rundblad:

http://youtu.be/N5gGQUcVItc

http://youtu.be/3igE_H2ZZFU

Mika Zibanejad:

http://youtu.be/oYhUKh4K_3w

Andre Petersson:

http://youtu.be/MlohVADbnlk

http://youtu.be/XbGoZHVw9S4 (This one is both Petersson and Devils prospect Mattias Tedenby)

Banned

I'm bumping this to tell you all that if you have a chance to get Petersson, do it. Now!

This guy's offensive skills are elite and it is only a matter of time before he works his way onto the Sens roster. He's fully healthy again which is the biggest thing. I predict that 8 months from now, his value will be high after a big AHL season.

If he doesn't pan out, big deal! It won't cost you an arm and a leg to get him, so do it!

Oh and Zibby Stardust is pretty good too.

Banned

I also bumped it to pimp my own article after seeing the one on the homepage about Lehner and Rundblad!

Banned

A little bump to update the prospects, and who I feel may be targeted by Ottawa in the upcoming draft.

Zibanejad - Up and down year for Mika. Started 9 games with the Sens, and was then sent back to Djurgarden to get more ice time, and be in a winning environment. Well, he got the ice time for the most part, but Djurgarden (pretty much like a Leafs/Canadiens franchise in Sweden) got relegated from the SEL, whereas Ottawa made the playoffs in the NHL. Mika obviously won Gold with Sweden at the U20 Worlds and displayed his world class shot many times in that tourney. In Djurgarden, he has been up and down in terms of consistency and effort, while playing the wing for the most part. He has also gone through 3 head coaches this year. Still showed his nice shot and elite skating ability on many occasions as per observers. Overall, Mika finished with 13 points in 26 games, which was 3rd best amongst rookie forwards only behind Johan Larsson, who was in his 2nd full SEL season and 2 years older, in points per game. In terms of points, Mika's 18-year old season is comparable, and even better in most cases, than other Swedish NHL forwards. In my opinion he will make the Sens next year, and as a RW.

Lehner - bad year stats-wise, but Binghamton is awful. With Bishop in the organization now, he will have to beat him out for a backup spot in Ottawa. It will be hard to do given Bishop's one-way deal.

Silfverberg - I've already discussed him ad nauseum, but he was named the MVP of the Elite League (youngest since Forsberg) and is continuing his success in the playoffs. Only 1 point behind George "Bud" Holloway for the playoff lead. His team Brynas has advanced to the SEL final. Depending on where Ottawa is at in their playoff run, Silfverberg may come over once his season is over to be a black ace or to play a game, but he is more likely to play in the Worlds for Sweden, which are being held in Sweden and Finland. Either way, it's been an amazing season for Silfverberg and he will surely make the Senators next season. While the SEL is a weaker league on bigger ice, he should continue to have success in North America.

Rundblad - clearly not in the Sens organization anymore, after he was traded for Kyle Turris. It can be said that he was over-hyped a bit, as he does not have the skating ability or the smarts to be a Karlsson, and his defensive game needs a ton of work. Still, he can be a reliable PP QB down the road as he is a slick passer and has great offensive instincts. Also has that pedigree. It's clear though that the SEL is a completely different beast than the NHL. He had way more time and space in Sweden, and players backed off of him. Phoenix will take their time with him and hopefully he can learn after OEL. However, one may think if it takes a while for him to make it that he may just head back to Skelleftea like Oscar Moller did this summer.

Petersson - Pretty decent rookie year on a garbage Binghamton team, all things considered. 23 goals, 19 assists in 56 games. The big thing is that he was pretty healthy most of the year for the first time in a while. He missed some stretches here and there but not too much. His back issues seem to be behind him. Petersson played 1 game with the big club, and he showed his skillset in his limited ice time. Small player but quick and skilled. Will be in the AHL again next year and should have an even better year as Binghamton adds such forwards as Shane Prince, Mark Stone, and better defensemen such as Ben Blood.

Sorensen
    - can't tell you I've seen him play any games, but he started the year in the SEL with Skelleftea and was not given much ice time or games, so they sent him down to their junior team where he put up 5 points in 8 games. Skelleftea then lent him to Boras of the Allsvenskan, where he had a pretty decent year. 17 points in 29 games, and was named the team's Best Rookie and Best Forward. Should be in Skelleftea next season.

NEW - D - Fredrik Claesson -Ottawa's 5th rounder from last year, Claesson was very good in a defensive role at the WJC, and he was one of the lone bright spots for Djurgarden this season. Plays a simple defensive game, but does it well. Also can be physical, makes a good breakout pass, and sometime rushes the puck as well. Look for him to be in Binghamton next season as he does not have a contract with Djurgarden for next year. Since they were relegated, he might not want to stick around, although the Allsvenskan is not terrible. AHL is definitely a better option though. I really like this defenseman, but not for fantasy.

Who the Sens (and others) may target in the upcoming draft:

RW - Sebastian Collberg - very skilled, small RW. Very good skater. Excellent shot, uses it at full speed as well. Probably won't make it to Ottawa's pick though. Out of Frolunda, who Ottawa is familiar with (Lehner, Karlsson). Was excellent at the WJC, amongst the leaders in scoring at only 17 years old at the time. Should be good in the spotlight at the U18.

LW - Pontus Aberg - a winger out of Djurgarden who has played with Zibanejad quite a few times this year in the past. Very good skater, smallish but not too bad, with a very good shot. Finished the year with 15 points in 47 games, which is very good for an 18-year old. Seen him play a lot and he seems to score clutch goals at times, and is a pretty exciting player on the whole, I think.

D- Hampus Lindholm - haven't seen him, but all accounts are that he is rising in the draft this year. His team is currently on the verge if being promoted to the SEL, and he has played a lot of key minutes in the Kvalserien, while putting up 4 points in 7 games. During the regular season, he put up 4 points in 20 Allsvenskan games, and 17 points in 28 J20 games. Good numbers all around for the 17/18 year old. Ottawa has needs at D, and with his size and skating ability (which is said to be elite), I could see them targeting him. Keep an eye out for him at the U18 if you watch it. Maybe another Jonas Brodin-type riser. A nice report on him by HF user Josh Deitell http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...5&postcount=10

D -Ludvig Bystrom - another d-man who seems to be rising. Made the jump to the SEL during the year which is always an impressive feat that scouts really like (see: Zibanejad). Plays for MODO who churned out Victor Hedman. Again, another guy I haven't seen play yet but I have seen him ranked high by some people and have seen him lauded for his two-way game and overall solid IQ. He has been praised for his solid play in the SEL and should be a first or second rounder this year. Another guy to keep an eye on at the U18 this month.

D - Christian Djoos - small defenseman out of Brynas organization. This organization is probably the best in Sweden at developing young talent (Silfverberg, Jarnkrok, Larsson, Backstrom, Markstrom, Ekholm, etc.). 24 points in 40 SuperElit games and he still hasn't turned 18. Probably anywhere from 2nd-4th round, but I am not sure. Should also be at the U18.

D - Calle Andersson - probably one of the bigger sleepers in this draft. A very skilled offensive d-man out of Farjestad (previously out of Malmo). Great size too at 6'1" 201lbs. 12 goals, 36 points in 49 games in the SuperElit, along with 5 points in 6 playoff games. Also average more than a PIM a game, but I can't say for sure whether that's because of a lack of discipline or if he plays with a lot of gumption. I think this guy could really be a great steal of a pick this year, and he is yet another Swedish d-man to watch at the U18. I've heard nothing but good things about him.

G - Oscar Dansk - One of the best goalie prospects for this draft, out of the previously mentioned, well-respected Brynas organization. Ottawa could use more goalie depth but it probably won't make sense to pick him. They don't have a 2nd and they won't pick a goalie in the 1st.

C/W - Erik Karlsson - last but not least, we have Erik Karlsson, out of Frolunda, the same organization that Erik Karlsson once called home. Know nothing about him really, but I think it could be super cool for Ottawa to draft another Erik Karlsson out of Frolunda. Basically THE EXACT SAME physical traits as well. Listed at 5'11" 154 pounds. Only difference is he's a forward. I've actually heard that he's pretty skilled, but obviously that size is a concerned. Another guy to watch for at the U18.
    Last edited by Big Ev; April 5, 2012 at 1:55 AM.

Banned

Update: 5th round defenceman Fredrik Claesson just signed with the club today and will be playing in Binghamton next year.

Winger Marcus Sorensen will most likely not be signed, thus he will re-enter the draft. He just signed with the team Claesson is leaving, Djurgarden, who is playing SEL-2 next season.

Dobber Sports Assistant Manager

good stuff Ev
    Gates Imbeau
    DobberHockey's HHOF - 2013 Builder's Category
    Twitter: @GM_Gates

The Great One

just saw this thread now.

fantastic

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Hey Big EV would you drop Justin Shugg( prospect of Carolina) for Andre Petterson?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hockeynerd View Post
    Hey Big EV would you drop Justin Shugg( prospect of Carolina) for Andre Petterson?
    I really don't know much about Shugg so I can't really make that decision without bias. But I think Petersson would be the better option due to the fact that Shugg was forced to play some games in the ECHL this season, and Petersson was not. Not sure if that's due to the Checkers having no spots, or just him not being ready. Petersson had the better rookie season in the AHL and is a pretty skilled player.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Thanks man i really appreciate it.