Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Los Angeles Kings

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Kings Insider spoke with Coach Murray about the Kings' goaltending tandem

Quick is No. 1, but stay tuned

Jonathan Quick is the Kings’ No. 1 goalie. Terry Murray said so in the summer of 2010, before the start of training camp last season, throughout last season, in the middle of this summer and at the start of this training camp. Then again… Murray added a little wrinkle last week, when he said that Quick would “start the season” as the No. 1 goalie. Murray added yet another wrinkle today when, for the first time, he said he would not map out a strict schedule for Quick and Jonathan Bernier, as he did at the start of last season, and would lean toward playing the hot hand in goal. In other words, Quick is the No. 1 goalie on Oct. 1, but check back on Nov. 1.

This could turn out to be a very interesting subplot to the season. Or, if Quick starts this season the way he started last season — quite brilliantly — it could turn out to be a complete non-story. For now, though, Murray certainly seems to be leaving the door cracked open for Bernier. Last season, Quick finished with a 2.24 goals-against average and a .918 save percentage. Bernier clocked in at 2.48 and .913 and, from mid-January on, Bernier allowed two or fewer goals in nine of his 11 starts. Here’s what Murray said today, beginning with when he was asked about having the enviable problem of essentially having “two No. 1 goalies.”

MURRAY: “I have one No. 1 goaltender. Jonathan Quick is the No. 1 goaltender. Jonathan Bernier is a goaltender in waiting. I was real happy with his second half of the year. He played some huge games. In fact, I think he got points in every game that he played after the All-Star break. He’s starting to get his feel in the NHL. He’s moving in the right direction, understanding the shooters and the pace of the game now. I’m looking forward to seeing what happens, but Jonathan Quick is our No. 1 guy.

“Last year, at this time, I had looked at the schedule and penciled in the goaltenders until Christmas. `This is the game you’re going to get.’ I didn’t identify those, sitting down with the goaltenders and talking about it, but I followed my plan. I didn’t do that this year. I think I pigeonholed myself a little bit. I want to get away from that. I’m going in with a plan to play both goaltenders. They’re both, I know, going to be real competitive. They all want to play every night. So we’ll just take it from there and play the games.”

Question: So it sounds like you’re saying that you go into the season with Quick as your No. 1, but you will also go with the hot hand…

MURRAY: “That is what I’m saying. Quick is our No. 1 guy and he came out of the gate last year and he was great. Every game he played, he was outstanding. We know how important every game, every point is in this league. Games in the first quarter as just as important, point-wise, as the second quarter. So I’m going to go with the guy that is playing really well. Quick will be the starting goaltender coming out of the training camp, and that’s how we will deal with it as we move forward.”

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Last year, Scott Parse only played 5 regular season games before being sidelined with a hip injury that required season ending surgery.

He spoke with Kings Insider about his health for the upcoming season:

Nobody needs to tell Scott Parse how important this training camp is for him. Parse, 27, is in the final year of his contract and, for a second consecutive season, has been penciled into the lineup in a key role. Last year, Parse entered camp as the de facto second-line left winger, but played only five games before he was sidelined by season-ending hip surgery. Publicly and privately, the Kings have expressed some concern about Parse’s long-term ability to stay healthy, which is a big reason why veterans such as Ethan Moreau and Trent Hunter will be getting long looks during training camp.

For now, Parse said he feels 100-percent healthy and is playing right wing on the third line, alongside center Jarret Stoll and left winger Kyle Clifford. Parse has 12 goals in 64 career NHL games, so his potential is clear, but can he stay on the ice? Here’s what Parse said today about his camp, so far, and his recovery.

PARSE: “It’s good. It’s good to be back out here and it’s getting better every day.”

Question: And everything is good with the hip?

PARSE: “The hip is good, 100 percent and ready to go, ready to get playing again. It’s good.”

Question: What was that like last season? There had to be a lot of frustration, when you decided to have the surgery…

PARSE: “I just couldn’t skate anymore, and everyone knew. I was going to need the surgery, at the end of last year or during the year or whenever. It wasn’t any good, so I had to get it done.”

Question: You started skating near the end of last season. Was there a time when it really started to feel better?

PARSE: “It’s just been getting better, and I feel absolutely fine, 100 percent on the ice.”

Question: Do you feel like this is an important training camp for you?

PARSE: “Yes, absolutely. I’ve got to show what I can do. I’m confident going in here, so I’m just going to play my game and I’m looking forward to it.”

Question: Have they talked to you about your role, what they expect?

PARSE: “Not really, but I know what I have to do. I’ve been here for a couple years, so I know what he [Terry Murray] expects and I’ve just got to go out there and play.”

Question: That line, with you and Stoll and Clifford, seems like it can be a line with some scoring and some defense as well…

PARSE: “Yeah. I think we’re playing pretty well out here so far. I played with Stolly my first year, and we had some good games there, so I’m looking forward to it.”

The Magnificent One

Good and bad about parse. I was hoping they would put him with kopitar as they had super chemistry last season for those 5 games. They never had a pairing with kopitar that has worked so well. But I guess we will have to wait for injuries to see him with kopitar atleast that's my guess now
    18 team H2H Keeper League
    G/A/PPP/SHP/GWG/SOG/FOW/Hits&blks/W/GAA/SV/SV%
    play 4c/8w/6d/1G (2min start)/6 bench/
    C: Hughes, Zacha, Howden, compher, Tierney, Frederic
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    D: Hughes, Ceci, Pelech, oleksiak, Holden, Poolman
    G: Markstrom, Oettinger,
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi

Dobber Sports Apprentice

were can we find info on Kings camp? Looking for input on how Voynov is doing?
    Not mutch on Kings site...

Thanks

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Clinkers View Post
    were can we find info on Kings camp? Looking for input on how Voynov is doing?
    Not mutch on Kings site...

Thanks
    Mayors Manor and Kings Insider have been doing updates from Kings camp.

so far 3rd line looks like Clifford - Stoll - Parse. that leaves Richardson, Lewis, Loktionov, Westgarth, Moreau, Fraser (injured), and a few others battling it out for the last three forward slots.

Coach Murray talked about Loktionov & Lewis
    "I think Loktionov is a center iceman and that's his best position, by far," said Murray at camp this week. "In saying that, I appreciate his work here at the start of last season - he did a pretty good job."

Acknowledging that he may need to move some parts around to make it all work, Murray added - "Trevor Lewis is probably the one player who can move to another position and feel more comfortable."

One possible advantage that Lewis may have at the moment, is Murray say him all year last season and in the playoffs.

"At the end of the day, it's going to be both guys in that position looking to make the hockey club," said Murray. "Trevor Lewis did a great job for us last year. I had him penciled in our (regular season) line-up coming into the training camp. Loktionov has really impressed me over the last two years. He's very creative. He needs to play higher. He needs to be one of those guys who is probably in your top six because of his ability to play with skilled players."
    Murray also discussed the opportunity for a young blue liner to fill in until Doughty is signed.
    "I'm not too sure how it's all going to play out," Murray said early in camp. "But, the opportunity is there for someone to grab a position if Doughty does not show up here by the end of training camp."

And how likely is it that 'someone' will be Voynov?

"He has a little bit of an edge because he's a right handed shot - but, also because he's a very skilled guy and he plays the power play," Murray explained. "That's one of his strengths - to be able to carry the puck, see the ice and make plays. He has a nice shot, good quickness and, instinctively, he's a skill player. The other part is, he's coming off an all-star year (in Manchester). When you pay your dues in the minors the last couple of years like he has, and his game keeps getting better, he's a player that I'm going to keep a very close eye on."

Don't count Hickey out just yet though. He's been flying around the ice during the first few days of camp and Murray has taken notice.

"That’s a big change from what I saw in year one. His overall body strength is much better (too)."

Speed and strength are just part of Hickey's improvements. Murray also likes what he's doing with the puck.

"He's got better jump, he's up in the play better than he was, he's moving the puck more alertly, it's not on his stick as long as it was before," said the Kings coach.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

KIngs Insider piece on Jonathan Bernier:

What I learned last year is that you can't really worry about playing time. I think when I figured that out, my game really stepped up and I was a lot more confident. So this year I have the same approach as I did in the second half of the season. Nothing is going to change for me.

I think I was just too frustrated, I guess, that I was not going to play as much as I wanted to. At the same time, now I understand that there’s a lot of things I need to learn at this level, and I've got to earn my spot too. It's not going to be easy. There's going to be a lot more challenges for me in my career, and that was just a small one.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

The Kings and Coyotes split a pair of "split squad" games yesterday. Coyotes won the LA game 2-1, Kings won the Phoenix game 3-2.

LA game: goals by Ethan Werek (PHO) and Slava Voynov (LA). Coyotes won the game on Oliver Ekman-Larsson's tally in the fourth round of the shootout. Jonathan Quick (LA) & Justin Pogge (PHO) were in net for the first two periods. Martin Jones (LA) & Louis Domingue (PHO) handled the 3rd period, OT & Shootout.

PHO game: goals by Ethan Moreau (LA), Keith Yandle (PHO), Shane Doan (PHO), Tyler Toffoli (LA) and Dustin Penner (LA). Kings played Jonathan Bernier and Jeff Zatkoff in net, while the Coyotes utilized Mike Smith and Jason LaBarbera. Penner's game winning goal came with 49 seconds left in regulation.

The Kings goaltenders all looked sharp. Quick stopped 12 of 13 shots in his two periods. Martin Jones stopped all nine shots he faced, until the shootout. Jonathan Bernier stopped 17 of 18 shots in two periods. Jeff Zatkoff played the third period and stopped 8 of 9 shots.

It was good to see youngsters Voynov and Toffoli on the score sheet. Coach Murray had the following to say about Voynov (via Kings Insider).
    I thought Voynov had a very good game. He’s got great awareness on the ice, with and without the puck. He wants to make plays. I wish he would sometimes shoot the puck a little bit more, at times, but he’s got great composure. He came up on all of the attacks. He's hungry to be a part of the offensive game. I think on the checking part of the game, without the puck, he was also pretty good. So overall, for me, I was just actually talking about that in the office. He played good for me.

Dobber Sports Star

Voynov has to pretty much make this team this year doesn't he?? He's spent 3 seasons in the AHL, and with his 50+ pt. effort last year I'm not sure there's much left to prove...

Glad to see Toffoli light it up, I'm sure he's heading back to junior for this season, or can he play in the AHL?? After 50+ goals in the OHL... what else is there?? If he continues to impress how many years before he cracks the LA lineup??
    [color=#008000]24 Team / 3 Tier Roto League
    G|A|+/-|PIM|PPP|SOG|Hits|BS
    W|GAA|SV

Tier 1
    C: Tavares, Duchene, JStaal, Marner, Grigorenko, Dubois, Barzal
    LW: Landeskog, Teravainen, Pearson, Wilson, Pulkkinen, Bittner
    RW: PKane, Gaborik, Virtanen, Rantanen, Stewart, Sprong, Chiasson, Vey
    D: OEL, Barrie, Bogosian, Larsson, McNabb, Oduya, Bigras
    G: Bobrovsky, Korpisalo, Hutton, Hellberg

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by mapletreemarty View Post
    Voynov has to pretty much make this team this year doesn't he?? He's spent 3 seasons in the AHL, and with his 50+ pt. effort last year I'm not sure there's much left to prove...

Glad to see Toffoli light it up, I'm sure he's heading back to junior for this season, or can he play in the AHL?? After 50+ goals in the OHL... what else is there?? If he continues to impress how many years before he cracks the LA lineup??
    I haven't read anything definitive - but here's my thoughts:

I would think Voynov's only chance of cracking the lineup this year (aside from extended Doughty holdout) is by beating out Alec Martinez. I would rather see him playing every night in Manchester again than taking Davis Drewiske's spot as the healthy scratch / emergency defenseman. Then again, he is the first guy in line if any of the top 6 get injured. Once he gets his foot in the door, it's up to him to produce. That's how Martinez earned his spot last season.

I am not sure if Taffoli can go back to juniors or not. Considering he has dominated at that level and Moller, Holloway & Kitsyn have all decided to play in Europe this season, I would love to see him playing for the Monarchs in the AHL. As far as him making the NHL squad, I would think a couple more years.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I do know that Voynov is currently using Doughty's locker space in LA. It's a sign!!! Or not...

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    I do know that Voynov is currently using Doughty's locker space in LA. It's a sign!!! Or not...
    Almost a seamless replacement. Haha.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

yeah, I heard about Voynov being assigned Doughty's locker - sounds like Lombardi using the media to make a point to a holdout.

-

also it appears Taffoli has another year of junior eligibilty.

from Kings Insider:

Toffoli isn’t expected to make the Kings' roster out of camp — he has one more season of junior eligibility, and skating and conditioning still need some improvement — but Toffoli did well for himself in the Kings' 3-2 victory over the Coyotes last night, according to Terry Murray.

"His skating has improved dramatically from last year, when I first saw him. Now he's getting that confidence that some players get early (and) some players need to go through some time before they get it. Right now, he's strong on the puck, playing very confidently, seeing the ice, making plays, taking pucks to the net."

How do you see Stoll doing this year?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    How do you see Stoll doing this year?
    With the arrival of Mike Richards, Stoll is going to see 3rd line minutes as opposed to 2nd line. He will probably center the second power play unit. Since Terry Murray has talked about using his line as a shut down line against the oppositions top line, he will still get a decent amount of ice time. He is terrific on face offs, which will also get him more shifts.

I would guess 40-45 pts, maybe 10 pts off the power play.

Quote Originally Posted by Sudden Death View Post
    With the arrival of Mike Richards, Stoll is going to see 3rd line minutes as opposed to 2nd line. He will probably center the second power play unit. Since Terry Murray has talked about using his line as a shut down line against the oppositions top line, he will still get a decent amount of ice time. He is terrific on face offs, which will also get him more shifts.

I would guess 40-45 pts, maybe 10 pts off the power play.
    Cool, thanks for the projection.