Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Los Angeles Kings

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I check out Battle of California every so often for local hockey humor. It is a blog that revolves around the Kings, Sharks and Ducks. Today had a genius post about Jack Johnson's horrific defensive numbers. I have quoted the stats below, minus the sarcasm. Feel free to click the link above if you enjoy some snark with your puck.
    Doughty without JMFJ +17
    Doughty with JMFJ -1

Mitchell without JMFJ +5
    Mitchell with JMFJ -6

Scuderi without JMFJ +5
    Scuderi with JMFJ -7

Greene without JMFJ +1
    Greene with JMFJ -4

Martinez without JMFJ +8
    Martinez with JMFJ +2

Overall, the Kings were +19 without JMFJ and -17 with him
    And if you are asking who JMFJ is, well, this link might explain

Dobber Sports Stud

Interesting.. I was just reading today a post which refutes Jack Johnson's +- numbers. http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=962391 So far the user has examine 6 plays in which Johnson got a - but was not the cause of getting scored on.
    The Ultimate Fantasy Hockey League. (Keep 17)
    3C 3LW 3RW 6D 2G 6BE.
    G,A,+-,PIM,PPP,SHP,GWG,SOG,FW,HIT; GS,W,L,GAA,SA,SV, SV%,SO
    (C) Kopitar, Kuznetsov, O'Reilly, Karlsson, Roslovic, Zacha
    (LW) Ovechkin, Forseberg, Bertuzzi(RW),
    (RW) Rantanen, Bratt(LW), Radulov
    (D) Josi, Burns, Pietrangelo, Karlsson, Heiskanen, Dunn, Boqvist
    (G) Gibson, Quick, Hart, Petersen
    (IR) Domi

10 Person Farm: (<200GP for F, <100GP for G)
    (C) Zegras(LW), Bourque
    (LW) Kaliyev(RW)
    (RW) Glass(C), Raymond(LW)
    (D) Power
    (G) Ingram, Knight, Levi, Primeau

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by jeffl97 View Post
    Interesting.. I was just reading today a post which refutes Jack Johnson's +- numbers. http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=962391 So far the user has examine 6 plays in which Johnson got a - but was not the cause of getting scored on.
    I am sure he will find a bunch of goals that weren't necessarily JJ's fault - but over the course of the entire season he was the only top 6 defenseman who was negative (-21). All the other D's were positive. All of the other D were had dramatically different +/- ratings with vs without being paired with him. Add all of that up, and it's tough to say some of the goals "weren't his fault". I'm no hockey coach, but watching him every game, he seems to lack the fundamentals that the other defenseman possess. For example, he tends to get caught out of position a lot. He's young, and hopefully he can work on this part of his game.

As a side note: my favorite JJ story involved the Vancouver Olympics. He chartered a private plane to fly to the opening ceremony and invited King/US teammates Jonathan Quick and Dustin Brown to fly with him. Not invited: Canadian Olympian Drew Doughty! Johnson ignored Doughty's texts all during the Olympic Games. I guess NHL comraderie meant little to him when it came to international competition. My recollection is a little fuzy, but I am pretty sure he was the only American NHL'er that participated in opening and closing cermonies.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Mayor's Manor interview with Jarret Stoll.

His thoughts on the acquisition of Mike Richards:
    "He looks like a pretty good player mentally. He can score 30 goals and put up 75 points. Defensively, he's good, too. He's definitely going to help open up ice for everybody. He has that grit that Brownie (Dustin Brown), physically, has and that's going to help out, especially come playoff time."
    When asked about moving from 2nd to 3rd line:
    Is he a little disappointed to be changing lines? "No, I'd be very, very selfish to say that," shared Stoll. "I consider myself a guy who will play any role, any situation in order for us to win and to be a good teammate. I think we need that depth up the middle to win and we have it between the pipes and on defense. I think we just needed it down the middle a little more. Adding him just brings us that instantly. So, I'm happy to play anywhere, as long as we win, have fun and get into the playoffs."

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by jeffl97 View Post
    You need only to watch 1 period of a Kings game to see how bad Johnson is defensively. The kid has zero hockey sense when the puck isn't on his stick. Taking the body when he should be playing the puck, forcing the play up the strong side of the ice when there is very little backpressure, telegraphing passes, causing team coverage to completely break down by being out of position in the corners or in the slot.
    The numbers above speak volumes. Essentially every player on the team is a better defenseman when they're not on the ice with him.
    20 Team Pool Points Keeper
    G =1,A=1,PPG=1,PPA=0.5, SHG=1,GWG=1,PIM=0.1,+/-=0.25
    Goalie cats (W=2, SO=3, SV=0.05)

F: Malkin, B.Richards, Franzen, D.Brown, Boedker, Zajac, Atkinson, Scheifele, Read, Boyes
    D: Green, Schultz, Faulk, Goligoski
    G: Crawford

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Interesting interview with GM Dean Lombardi about Oscar Moller and Bud Holloway deciding to play in Europe this season.

It's a pretty long read, so here are the highlights.

"This is another one of those things in the CBA where it was kind of predictable. Whenever you have a cap in the minors, so to speak, and also, we have a problem in our system...not only are we losing these guys, but they're still building equity towards free agency. It used to be that you had to get service, like in baseball. Now you have this thing where these kids can go over there, earn double the money and still move along the path of free agency."
    "Both of them are knocking at the door," said Lombardi, referring to Holloway and Oscar Moller. "That's the thing that's really surprising. Oscar got ahead of himself. We were a bad team. Taking nothing away from Oscar, but you've heard me say this time and again, if it's too much too soon. Bernier went through it (after making his pro debut with the Kings at age 19). Too much too soon, he takes a step back, then boom - he gets back on the right track. Now you see where you have him today. I know Oscar, kind of, was really disappointed. It was kind of like 'go back and finish your training,' when he had been in the show. But, he clearly seem to be on track."
    "In Holloway, we were talking at the deadline, we almost called him up. Now, is he ready to be a regular? But, when Justin Williams went down, he (Holloway) got himself on the board, where we had National Hockey League people saying 'You know what, let's give him a shot.' And that's how close he's starting to come along. Now, to go to Europe? It's mind-boggling to me, other than the money's so much different. So, you go over there and you earn $120-grand, or 120-Euros or whatever, it's tax free. You get a car and an apartment. There is a big gap, you know. But, usually the guys who do that...are 26-27 (years old) and they've kind of already been labeled as 'minor league players' and maybe a 'call-up.' But, when you're dealing with 22-year olds, this is mind-boggling - for these kids, where their whole dream was to play in the (NHL)."
    However, he went on to say that he somewhat understands Moller's line of thinking - "We talked to Oscar. (His situation) is a little tougher because he kinda went (using his hands to explain he went up to the NHL, then to the minors) and now he's getting his way back up. Actually, he was good about saying 'I'm not going there to quit.' I think in his mind he did have to grow a little. He's still a kid. So, there is just a fact that he's going to mature and start growing a beard more. I think he realized that there's a physical part of it, that he's gotta just grow up. But, Bud, I was really surprised with."
    One final thought on this and it may, or may not, be related. Some have questioned if coach Terry Murray will ever use a smaller player, like Moller, in a top-6 role.

Murray scoffed at the notion when asked about it a few weeks ago - "The game has changed," he said. "With the rule changes, the style that we're playing and the way we're looking at things as coaches, there's lots of room for the smaller player who has great skill and speed, like a guy like (Brandon) Kozun...These guys create separation all the time. If you load up with too many big guys and then you get a smaller guy like that, who plays with some real determination and heart to play the game hard, you're going to play."

Specific to Moller, was he missing that in Murray's eyes? Is that why he didn't get more playing time at the end of last season? "Absolutely not, never a lack of compete. He never hesitated to battle or go take a hit to go and make a play, absolutely not. He was always involved. He, I don't know...I thought he actually came into our line-up at the end of the year and played very well. You go back to game two, against San Jose in the playoffs, where Jarret Stoll was suspended, man - he played good. He did everything that you'd ever want him to do. Sometimes it's a numbers thing and sometimes you just want that player to be a little bit better than what he is right today. He was taking the right steps - progression and improvement was coming. So, I'm a little surprised that he decided to go back and play overseas. But, other players have done it, and maybe it will benefit him in the long haul."

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Team President Luc Robitaille spoke with Mayor's Manor about the Kings opening the 2011-12 season in Stockholm and Berlin.
    "We were asked by the league. We talked with them and they're (only) picking so many teams," Robitaille started out with. "To me, it wasn't a big deal. I kind of like the experience for the players. Yeah, for sure, you think you want to play your games at home. But, 15 years from now those players can say, 'Wow, I got to play a game in Berlin.' I think that's very special. Those are great memories for the players that they'll cherish later - like, someday when they retire."

Fine, that's years down the road. However, at least one thing on his mind that tied back to the upcoming campaign - "There was certainly something inside of me that (kept coming back to) the last three Stanley Cup winners started in Europe. So, once I heard we had a chance to go to Europe, I said I want to go!"

The Kings will open the NHL regular season with a game vs. the New York Rangers in Stockholm, Sweden on Friday, October 7. They'll also play the following night in Berlin, Germany - taking on the Buffalo Sabres.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

just posted a piece on Penner in PG Advised section. check it out

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Still no "news" on the Drew Doughty front. I figure it will get done sooner or later, and until that point, there really isn't much to report. Once again, though, Dean Lombardi is negotiating in the media.

Courtesy of LA Kings Insider:

latest update on the Drew Doughty contract talks, courtesy of a chat today with Dean Lombardi. There have been no new discussions in the past two weeks. The Kings have a long-term offer on the table, but it wouldn’t be a surprise to see the issue extend into late August, or perhaps even into September. It’s worth noting that Doughty’s agent, Don Meehan, also represented Evgeni Nabokov when, in 2002, Nabokov held out before signing a contract with the San Jose Sharks (and then-GM Lombardi) in late October.

As for the current Doughty negotiations, Lombardi said today, “I think it’s fair to say that in the last conversation, we set the parameters, as to where we feel his contract should be. We talked about a number of scenarios, and I guess now it’s their move. They never really responded.”

I also asked whether, independent of contract talks, the coaching staff has been in regular contact with Doughty in terms of hockey-related discussions. Lombardi said, “Yeah. (Assistant coach) Johnny Stevens handles the D, and it’s Johnny’s responsibility to stay in contact with these guys throughout the summer. Murph [Terry Murray] has talked to him and Johnny has talked to him a number of times. It’s all hockey. Obviously coaches are never involved in negotiations. That’s not their area. But Johnny has been pretty religious about staying in touch with him, because he kind of runs the defense under Murph. So they’ve had constant dialogue, but it’s all been about hockey and getting ready for the season.”

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Here's something for all you Jonathan Bernier owners out there. Mayor's Manor spoke with him recently.

among other things, they discussed his name coming up in trade rumors:

- On the Kings using their first pick in this year's draft to take another goalie: "I don't really pay attention too much. I think it's a good thing for the Kings organization. It's a good value. If a goalie can play the way he's supposed to, and become a good goalie, I think it's an asset that can be traded later. You can't really worry about that though. It's part of the business."

- On his name popping up in trade rumors: "I've never heard that before."

(we laughed quite a bit and then he continued...)

"Obviously, I've heard several rumors, like the one about me going to Colorado. But, those are things I can't really control. My goal is to play as much as I can no matter where I play - hopefully it will be here though. As a personal goal, it's to play more and to get my chance."
    If you haven't already read it, here's a piece I posted on Dobber a while back about the Quick/Bernier tandem

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Mike Richards talked to Mayors Manor about leadership:

"Leadership is not just one person," Richards explained. "There's one guy with the 'C' on his jersey and (others) with the 'A's, but I've always felt that it was a team effort. You can't have enough experience in a dressing room. Everybody's been in that position at some point. You don't make it to the NHL without being some sort of leader. It might be somebody one night, Brownie the next night (or) Kopitar. It's not always the same person voicing their opinion. If something needs to be said, I'm sure they'll say it."

And the role he'll play in that process? "I just want to come in and focus on hockey. If something needs to be said or if somebody asks me a question, I'll definitely I'll answer," said Richards.

For those who like to look for something that isn't there, Richards made one thing perfectly clear - he doesn't have any expectations of wearing the 'C' in Los Angeles...this season or anytime in the near future.

With or without a letter, does he feel pressure coming to Los Angeles with such a huge spotlight on him being shown on him this summer?

"No, I don't feel pressure. I put a lot of pressure on myself to do well. I'm not going to come in here and try to be something that I'm not. I'm not going to try and do things that I'm not used to doing. I'm going to come in here, play my game, try to be another piece of the puzzle here and help this team move forward in the right direction."

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Kings Insider had an encouraging post today on restricted free agent Drew Doughty.

Doughty told TSN, “I guess there’s really no rush,” said Doughty. “Both sides, we’re discussing things, and I’m sure that something is going to get done soon. I don’t have a timeframe or anything like that. But I still want to be a King, and I can’t wait to get something done just so it’s over with.”
    I have steered away from rumors and speculation about Doughty. My feeling is that it will get done, he will be a King, it's just a matter of the two sides coming to agreement. That's why this quote cracked me up:

Doughty also did the following video interview with “A-News London,” in which he said, “There are so many rumors floating around, and I haven’t seen one true one.”

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Kings add veteran Ethan Moreau

Veteran forward Ethan Moreau has signed a one-year contract with the Los Angeles Kings worth $600,000, according to Rich Hammond of LA Kings Insider.

Moreau played 37 games for Columbus last season, collecting 1 goal and 5 assists for the Blue Jackets. He had spent parts of 11 seasons with Edmonton prior to joining Columbus, and he was named captain of the Oilers in October 2007.

His best season with Edmonton came in 2003-04, when he set career highs in goals (20) and points (32). Moreau has 146 goals and 283 points in 900 career NHL games.

Dobber Sports Ace

hey sudden death. great thread.

after having a look through can i safely assume that Hickey as a prospect is pretty much toast? I have held him since he was drafted but it seems like time to part ways if he can't make the big club this year.
    10 Team Salary Cap Keeper League-protect up to 15
    Total of points and +/-; position vs. position (ie. my 2 Centres vs. his 2 Centres)
    C -Crosby, Ribeiro, Strome, Granlund
    LW -Neal, Nyquist, Johansson, TBD
    RW -Coyle, Eberle, TBD, TBD
    D -Streit, Phaneuf, Green, Keith, Letang, TBD
    G -S. Mason, TBD

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Briarpatch00 View Post
    can i safely assume that Hickey as a prospect is pretty much toast? I have held him since he was drafted but it seems like time to part ways if he can't make the big club this year.
    I don't see Hickey making the NHL squad this year or anytime soon. The Kings have a core of young D ahead of him, plus a solid set of vets that fill out the roster. Doughty, Johnson, Mitchell, Scuderi, Greene, Martinez, Voynov, - heck even Forbort & Deslauriers are ahead of him. He hasn't really lived up to the fourth overall pick pedigree. To put it kindly, the folks over on LGK msg boards would rate the Hickey draft pick as one of Dean Lombardi's least successful moves.

Time to cut bait.