Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Los Angeles Kings

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Los Angeles Kings

Hey there hockey fans,

My name is Howard, and I am proud to be dispensing LA Kings info for the Black Aces. I want to thank Gates for the opportunity to contribute to the Dobber community.

I grew up in rural New England, watching Bobby Orr, Phil Esposito, Terry O'Reilly and the rest of the Bruins on a black & white TV. Yeah, that means I am older than Dwayne Roloson. I moved to LA 25 years ago, and eventually embraced the Kings as my own. It sure was sweet watching the B's hoist the Cup this year, and I don't know how I would ever handle a Kings/Bruins Final - but I digress.

I watch most Kings games, either on TV or from the 300 level at Staple Center. I am constantly checking Kings Insider, LGK and a number of other local blogs. I am on Dobber every day soaking up the fantasy knowledge. I figured this thread would be a perfect way to channel my hockey obsession into something productive.

Gates asked me to post a piece on the Mike Richards trade on PG Advised, so keep your eyes peeled for that. In the next few days I will share my thoughts on the Ryan Smyth move and dig up a little info on the recent draft picks.

If you have any Kings questions, I will be happy to share any local insight. If you make it to LA to catch a game, maybe we could meet up for an adult beverage.

Dobber Sports Assistant Manager

Glad to have you, good luck!
    Gates Imbeau
    DobberHockey's HHOF - 2013 Builder's Category
    Twitter: @GM_Gates

Banned

awesome dude, welcome aboard, I'll be hitting you up for Kings-related fantasy info I promise you...I especially like to get the low-down from fans who watch a lot of the games (esp live) because they see all the stuff that cant be conveyed in stats

Dobber Sports Pro

Welcome Howard. Even those of us who stay up for the late sports broadcasts and have the Center Ice package do no t get as much coverage from the "left coast" as we would like.

I agree with Mcgoo that having a live set of eyes at the game is a great resource for us all. I am really looking forward to your work.

PS - I would appreciate you saying that Richards hates it out there and might hold out so I can pick him up cheap. THX

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thanks for the warm welcome & encouragement, gents.

It's funny, I have Center Ice too, but most of the games are in 3rd period by the time I get home from work. I miss all the gritty Eastern Conference games.

Sorry to burst your bubble, Chuk, but I think Mike Richards will enjoy the LA lifestyle too much to hold out (but hopefully he doesn't like it TOO much).

I should have a mini piece up soon re: Smyth trade, and then hopefully be reporting on a couple FA signings (fingers crossed) this weekend.
    Last edited by Sudden Death; June 29, 2011 at 1:13 AM.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Sudden Death View Post
    Sorry to burst your bubble, Chuk, but I think I Mike Richards will enjoy the LA lifestyle too much to hold out (but hopefully he doesn't like it TOO much).
    SHHH.. work with me here.....

Actually you could continue and share his late night escapades, coke binges and partying with Snoop Dog before games. You could be our Dobber Enquirer.
    (that should lower his trade value sufficiently)

Dobber Sports Monster

Excellent welcome aboard.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Kings trade Ryan Smyth

The Kings made two trades last week, and they were polar opposites. The Mike Richards deal (see my report in the PG Advised section) was a stealth move, seemingly out of nowhere, aimed at moving potential for current production. The Ryan Smyth trade was a slow motion soap opera better suited for Real Housewives of the NHL, that sent away an aging winger for very little in return - except cap space.

GM Dean Lombardi traded Smyth to Edmonton in exchange for Colin Fraser and a 7th round pick in next year's draft. If it was only that simple. Several days were mired in rumors, leaks, speculation, trade requests, a no trade clause, family issues and Gilbert Brule's health. I'm not going to re-hash the drawn out details, although, I am curious how the picture was being painted in Alberta.

Once it was clear that Dean Lombardi had only one option for dealing Smyth, he made the best of the situation. Rather than trying to get euqal value, he merely dumped the salary. That $6.25 million cap space can buy two forwards on the free agent market. He will be shopping for a left wing replace Smyth, and a right wing to replace Wayne Simmonds, who was sent to Philly in the Mike Richards deal.

Posts on the various Kings message boards are pretty split. There are those who feel Smyth had the team bent over the table, that he pulled the same crap Chris Pronger pulled on the Oilers, that Tambellini tried to force an injured player into the deal, that the media jumped the gun by publishing a deal that was never completed. Many fans appreciate the years that Ryan spent in LA and wish him the best. I would fall in the latter category. Going forward the freed up cap space was more valuable than his production. His numbers trailed off drastically the second half of last season. Besides Smyth can impart his wisdom on the young Oilers, teaching them about heart, playing in front of the net and skating with a piano strapped to your back.

I don't see Colin Fraser sticking around. LA is already deep at center, to the point where there isn't enough room for Michal Handzus. Since the Smyth for Brule deal fell through because the Kings wouldn't be able to buy out an injured player - I anticipate that is the plan for Fraser as well. Lombardi worked this deal to leave the most cap room available. Let's see what he does with it.

Welcome aboard!
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Sudden Death View Post
    The Ryan Smyth trade was a slow motion soap opera better suited for Real Housewives of the NHL.
    So the soap opera continues. It looks like Colin Fraser is damaged goods.

I seriously doubt the Kings try to void the deal over this. The plan is to spend the $$$ freed up by trading Smyth on a free agent or two. They can't buy out Fraser now, but he's only making $825K.

Edmonton's medical reports showed Brule and Fraser as cleared to play, but LA's staff disagreed on both counts. Not sure whether to file this under "fool me once, same on you, fool me twice..." or if there is more to the story.
    Last edited by Sudden Death; June 30, 2011 at 2:16 PM. Reason: typo

Dobber Sports Ninja

Oilers say a trade memo was sent notifying the Kings of the injury and stating that trade was "as is".

What a messed up situation.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Oilers say a trade memo was sent notifying the Kings of the injury and stating that trade was "as is".

What a messed up situation.
    Definitely a lot of he said / she said:

from LA Times

Forward Colin Fraser, acquired by the Kings last week in the once-reconfigured trade that sent Ryan Smyth back to the Edmonton Oilers, was found to have an unhealed fracture in his ankle and a cyst that will require surgery.
    Bottom line though, the deal was all about moving Smyth and taking back as little salary in the process.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

A whole lot of waiting yesterday.....

I'd be surprised of LA landed Brad Richards, but they are definitely swinging for the fence this off-season. Meanwhile, just about every free agent wing that King fans were hoping for have already been snatched up. Laich, Jokinen, Leino, Upshall, Cole, Fleischmann, Ryder, Ward, all off the board. Lomabrdi bypassed all of those options in pursuit of the big fish. The last name out there is Simon Gagne, who has played with Mike Richards in Philly.

Two players from the 2010/11 Kings moved on to other teams yesterday. Michal Handzus signed with San Jose and Alexei Ponikarovsky went to Carolina. The writing was on the wall for both departures. Zeus was a face-off and PK beast for us the past two years, but the play of Trevor Lewis over the second half of last season made him expendable. Add Mike Richards to the mix and there wasn't any room for an aging depth center.

Poni was signed to replace Alex Frolov last season, but he spent most of his time either in the training room, the coach's doghouse or the penalty box.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I like the Gagne signing. Two years at a reasonable cap hit of $3.5M. It's definitely a low risk / high reward situation. The top six now looks solid. Granted, Simon will probably miss a dozen games, but he should still put up 45-50 points. The most important factor will be him being healthy for the playoffs.

Now Lombardi can focus on re-signing RFA's Brad Richardson, Trevor Lewis, Alec Martinez and a guy named Drew Doughty.

Dobber Sports Expert

Welcome aboard man! Huge LA fan here, and an even bigger Dean Lombardi fan! I love how he's been stockpiling amazing talent, and his track record in teh 1st and 2nd rounds are phenomenal. In fact, I try to draft whoever he drafts. (Hence, last year taking Toffoli and Weal.)

Anyways, really excited about LA contending, and good to have someone constantly updating me on it.