Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Enlighten me- who is Mark Scheifele?

The Great One

Default Enlighten me- who is Mark Scheifele?

And why did Winnipeg pass on Couturier to get him?

Banned

Centre for the Barrie Colts. Shot up the draft rankings all year. Was pretty impressed by him in the U-18's. He's solid in all zones. Looks like a Getzlaf type player.

Also ex-Jet Dal Hawerchuk is his coach in Barrie, so you gotta believe he gave them a ringing endorsement.

They passed on Couturier because they think Scheifele will be a better player than him in 5 years, probably as simple as that. Drafting is not about what they did in the past as much as it is what type of player they are going to be in the NHL.

The Great One

Thanks Ev- lovin the Getzlaf comparison- lol! So no one is calling this a huge misstep at this point? Im not being cheeky or sarcastic- Ive been largely uninformed on this draft class. I just know Couturier had been hyped earlier on. I actually saw him live in Buffalo at the WJC in the round robin against russia. He had some nice moments- specifically on the forecheck and penalty kill. In any case I was just surprised to see him slip and bit my lip a bit when Winnipeg passed.

I found this interview with Scheifele- sounds like he has a good work ethic- models his game after Stevie Y:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle2075945/

Dobber Sports Stud

Barrie sucked and Scheifele had a great year as a rookie in the ohl. He put up nice numbers in a terrible team. Ev made good points.
    Go Jets Go

Featured Columnist for the Winnipeg Jets
    http://bleacherreport.com/users/386108-anthony-capocci

Follow for Winnipeg Jets Updates
    www.twitter.com/CapocciJETS

Banned

This is just an example from Ottawa's point of view, but apparently they were so disappointed in Couturier's compete level that they literally walked out of the arena at a crucial point in a playoff game between Drumondville and Gatineau. Drumondville was down by 1 or 2 and fighting for their playoff lives, and they just left because Couturier wasn't doing anything on the ice to show that he cared about tying the game up and saving the series for his team (and he's an alternate captain).

I would assume the Jets staff scouted both players a lot, and were simply intrigued by Scheifele's rising stock more than Couturier's falling stock. Scheifele also seems to have a greater compete level and better skating than Couturier.

Also, marketing may have a BIG thing to do with this pick. Couturier is shy and is more introverted it seems and he probably would have been harder to market as the franchise's first ever 1st round draft pick. Scheifele seems to have more charisma and better character.

The Great One

More optimism-

http://www.thescoutingreport.org/mar...draft-profile/

Cites topline center potential.
    Player comparison: A playmaking version of Jeff Carter.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    This is just an example from Ottawa's point of view, but apparently they were so disappointed in Couturier's compete level that they literally walked out of the arena at a crucial point in a playoff game between Drumondville and Gatineau. Drumondville was down by 1 or 2 and fighting for their playoff lives, and they just left because Couturier wasn't doing anything on the ice to show that he cared about tying the game up and saving the series for his team (and he's an alternate captain).

I would assume the Jets staff scouted both players a lot, and were simply intrigued by Scheifele's rising stock more than Couturier's falling stock. Scheifele also seems to have a greater compete level and better skating than Couturier.

Also, marketing may have a BIG thing to do with this pick. Couturier is shy and is more introverted it seems and he probably would have been harder to market as the franchise's first ever 1st round draft pick. Scheifele seems to have more charisma and better character.
    Well theres some interesting insight! Thanks Ev!

Dobber Sports Stud

Didn't know much about Scheifele either, but from a lot of these sources he seems a lot like this draft's Ryan Johansen. Rising very quickly up the rankings, a big playmaking centre with good intangibles.
    20 Team Pool Points Keeper
    G =1,A=1,PPG=1,PPA=0.5, SHG=1,GWG=1,PIM=0.1,+/-=0.25
    Goalie cats (W=2, SO=3, SV=0.05)

F: Malkin, B.Richards, Franzen, D.Brown, Boedker, Zajac, Atkinson, Scheifele, Read, Boyes
    D: Green, Schultz, Faulk, Goligoski
    G: Crawford

Dobber Sports Genius

Great to read a thread on this kid. I was crushed at first when Winnipeg let Couturier slip to take Scheifele, but only because I knew Couturier's past and present rankings in the draft, and little about Scheifele.

From everything that I've read it seems to me that, among numerous reasons, the biggest factor in selecting Scheifele was his character. It can't be easy to compete game in and game out, playing for a team that lost 49 games out of 68 last season. But apparently he was watching game footage after every game, learning and trying to better his game. That speaks volumes. Plus he's a big body with a terrific skillset, from what I've read. Cheveldayoff has also stated numerous times that they're going for players with great character and drive, and I believe they spoke to Hawerchuk a couple times before the draft, if I remember right.

Thanks for the insight, Big Ev. I've been interested in learning more about Mark since the draft.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: Enlighten me- who is Mark Scheifele?

Love randomly looking at old threads. I remember watching the 2011 draft and thinking that Winnipeg was really reaching taking Scheifele 7th overall. From that draft, outside of Kucherov (2nd round), there is no one I'd take over Scheifele and that includes Gaudreau (4th round).
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

HaHaHa.. Love it.. I remember a majority of Winnipeg Jets fans left scratching their heads after they heard the words: "from the Barrie Colts of the OHL, Mark Schiefele"..

Couturier is a great player but I'm happy they drafted Schiefele!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Master

Man Big Ev always hated Couturier. Both of them are fantastic players. Different but great in their own way. If given the choice, I dont know if i would swap Couturier for Scheifele. Funny Ev mentioned OTT's point of view was a low compete level after what he heard about the extent of his injuries he was playing through.

Dobber Sports Ninja

It was the right decision. Scheifele is at least a tier above Couturier.

Dobber Sports Sage

Hindsight is so clear but he would be the undisputed no 2 pick if the draft were held today imo. Kuch would have to get the 57 pick upgrade and go no 1. Other notables from 2011 - trochek at 64, Gaudreau at 104, and palat at 208.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Wedgy View Post
    Man Big Ev always hated Couturier. Both of them are fantastic players. Different but great in their own way. If given the choice, I dont know if i would swap Couturier for Scheifele. Funny Ev mentioned OTT's point of view was a low compete level after what he heard about the extent of his injuries he was playing through.
    And it sounds like completely circumstantial evidence, probably provided by a friend or read on a forum.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry