Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Mason Raymond taken to hospital

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by ridinryan44 View Post
    I don't think we'll ever shake the fact that people want to see more punishment when a player is badly injured. Maybe it could be utilized in such a fashion that there are suspension lengths written in stone based on the play (boarding - 4 games, hit to the head - 6 games, slash - 2 games etc) and then Shanny's role would include doling out extra games using his own discretion. Again, I don't see it happening, but it would make me happy for one!
    That's actually not a bad idea. Would need some tweaking, but I think you're onto something there.

Cheers.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    did they? when? where? I heard no such statement, especially not since Shanny was instated.

Rome's suspension was spot on, +/- a game on either side depending on how you see it.

he hits him:

1)late
    2)in the head
    3)leaves his feet
    4)blindside/lateral hit - partial at least

textbook head shot and the league responded accordingly, doesn't make a goddamn bit of difference that Horton was injured, how seriously he was injured or that its the finals. The suspension was spot on

Q. The suspension was for the lateness of the hit.

MIKE MURPHY: Yes. The lateness combined with the injury.

Q. Without speculating too much, had that hit occurred quicker, a split second after he released it, would that hit have been deemed legal under Rule 48?

MIKE MURPHY: This has nothing to do with Rule 48. This is just an interference penalty, an interference hit. If it was immediate after he released the puck, it would be a legal hit. We have them all the time.

Q. Because it's a north/south hit?

MIKE MURPHY: North/south play. And we viewed it as that, too.
    http://hockeycop.blogspot.com/2011/0...bout-rome.html

And for the record, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe Shanahan has been instated yet. I think it is Mike Murphy and Kris King that have been making the decisions.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by b0ndon View Post

And for the record, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe Shanahan has been instated yet. I think it is Mike Murphy and Kris King that have been making the decisions.
    Correct all around... that's a nasty side effect of research.

Dobber Sports Sage

textbook head shot and the league responded accordingly, doesn't make a goddamn bit of difference that Horton was injured, how seriously he was injured or that its the finals. The suspension was spot on
    Playing Devil's advocate here, Mcgoo, where is it stated that injuries don't affect the decision? I'm not saying that it does, necessarily, but you speak to the issue as if you have all this knowledge that for a fact it doesn't affect the decision. I know the general idea is to "not make a suspension based on an injury" but this isn't Being John Malkovich; far as I know, no one is in Murphy's head.

I agree with you the suspension was spot on in terms of me, personally, wanting to see stiffer suspensions on risky plays. That being said, the suspension was in no way consistent with the suspensions that have been given out in the recent past, leaving one to wonder if maybe, just maybe, the extent of the injury played a part in the suspension. Where's all the hate comin' from, bro? We're all passionate here... forgive if there is no "hate", it just comes across that way in your posts.
    10tm Dynasty Lg - $96M CAP
    G A PTS +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV% SO

C: Barkov, Eichel, McDavid
    RW: P. Kane, Okposo
    LW: E. Kane, Couture
    D: Subban, Byfuglien, Faulk, Vatanen, Morgan Reilly
    G: Schneider, Gibson/Andersen
    UTIL: Kuznetsov, Kadri, Little, Stone

Farm
    D: J. Schultz, Sekera, Hanifin, Hamonic
    F: Spooner, Silfverberg, Konecny, Roussell
    G: F. Andersen/Gibson, Mason, Ward, Anderson

Prospect:
    F - D Strome, Burakovsky, Raantanen, Bjorkstrand
    D - Ryan Murphy

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by b0ndon View Post

that's why I said 'partial' for #4, all I'm arguing there is that combined with all the other aspects of the hit (super late, leaping to hit the head, etc) its a ****ing no brainer

Dobber Sports Sage

that's why I said 'partial' for #4, all I'm arguing there is that combined with all the other aspects of the hit (super late, leaping to hit the head, etc) its a ****ing no brainer
    No brainer to you, dude. Obviously not to everyone. LIke I said before, I like the suspension, but there are two sides to every argument.

On, and just so you know, Rome doesn't leave his feet until after contact, at least IMO. IT's only when he an Horton come into contact that his feet come off the ice. We've seen it before, and I'm sure we'll see it again. Check the slow-mo again, you might just agree with me!

EDIT: Check this vid, at :41 seconds you get a pretty good view of him coming up with his upper body to make the hit, and his feet and body move up due to the contact. Not trying to create an argument here, but maybe your opinion of the hit might change just slightly seeing it this way...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNYxuv7580M
    Last edited by ridinryan44; June 15, 2011 at 12:33 AM.

Farm

Prospect:
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Ninja

Mcgoo, I think you may have missed my point with the quote. The issue was raised about whether or not injury plays an important role.

MIKE MURPHY: No. I think it's the right decision. It had nothing to do with the stage. It's the play. The play speaks for itself. We assess the play as I described to you. It was late and it injured a player, it injured him severely. We review the medical report. I spoke with the medical people in Boston this morning.
    MIKE MURPHY: I probably viewed it like most of you did. I thought it was a late hit. I thought that the body was contacted. But I also thought that the head was hit.

It caused a serious injury to Nathan Horton. So the key components are: the late hit, which I had it close to a second late. We have our own formula at NHL Hockey Operations for determining late hits, and it was late. We saw the seriousness of the injury with Nathan on the ice last night.

That's basically what we deliberated on. We tried to compare it with some of the other ones in the past. But it stands alone. It's why we made the ruling.
    But the suspension was what I felt. When I looked at it, it's what I felt. It's not what my whole group felt. In the end, when we go to an individual like Colin Campbell, we say this is two, three or four, he has to stand in front of you people and make the call.
    I dunno dude, sounds to me like injury played a pretty large role. Anyways, I'm not really in this to debate whether or not Boychuk should get suspended or not. Personally I don't think he should be, but I just think the whole system is still way out of whack and a longway from being fixed.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ridinryan44 View Post
    No brainer to you, dude. Obviously not to everyone. LIke I said before, I like the suspension, but there are two sides to every argument.

On, and just so you know, Rome doesn't leave his feet until after contact, at least IMO. IT's only when he an Horton come into contact that his feet come off the ice. We've seen it before, and I'm sure we'll see it again. Check the slow-mo again, you might just agree with me!

EDIT: Check this vid, at :41 seconds you get a pretty good view of him coming up with his upper body to make the hit, and his feet and body move up due to the contact. Not trying to create an argument here, but maybe your opinion of the hit might change just slightly seeing it this way...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNYxuv7580M
    yeah I think you're right, but again it comes down to that whole argument with the leaving the feet thing...is he just exploding upwards with the hit (and the momentum/impact takes him off his feet) or is he leaping to hit him in the head? I agree its often not a very good tool to tell if a hit was bad or not, on seeing your replay it doesn't look as bad as I originally thought. I still dont think the suspension was off though...maybe its 3 games, maybe its 5, they hit the right ballpark I think

Dobber Sports Sage

yeah I think you're right, but again it comes down to that whole argument with the leaving the feet thing...is he just exploding upwards with the hit (and the momentum/impact takes him off his feet) or is he leaping to hit him in the head? I agree its often not a very good tool to tell if a hit was bad or not, on seeing your replay it doesn't look as bad as I originally thought. I still dont think the suspension was off though...maybe its 3 games, maybe its 5, they hit the right ballpark I think
    For sure, there definitely is an argument there. Personally, I think the feet leave after impact, and I've seen it happen before. Other than that, appreciate the fact a tonne that you actually took the time to check it out and discuss it. Good on ya!

Like I said before, tough, I still don't like the hit, I think it's unnecessary and I actually like the 4 game suspension. I'd like to see players make the decision to not take that hit, is that realistic?

Farm

Prospect:
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Initiate

Any update from Raymond....is he going to make training camp? Anyone from the west coast please give me an update.
    14 Team Keeper PTS, +/-, PIM's *.3 20 Players, 4 Center, 8 Wing, 6 D-men, 2 Goalies, NHL cap hit $91 Million Total

Centers Tavares, Giroux, Draisaitl, Eichel
    Wing Eberle, Kessel, Schenn, Hall, Nichushkin, Stone, B. Ryan, Connolly
    Defence Karlsson, OEL, Shattenkirk, Murphy, Gardiner, Daley
    Goal Lehner, Schneider

Prospects Shinkaruk, Frk, Pulock, Marner, Zacha, Rod, Kapanen, Leblanc, Kristo, McNeill, Noesen, Tuch

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Nope he wont be at training camp but he's doing well and his recovery is ahead of schedule. From the Province today...

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Up...177/story.html

Dobber Sports Initiate

Cheers Massengil! Thanks for the up to date info!
    14 Team Keeper PTS, +/-, PIM's *.3 20 Players, 4 Center, 8 Wing, 6 D-men, 2 Goalies, NHL cap hit $91 Million Total

Centers Tavares, Giroux, Draisaitl, Eichel
    Wing Eberle, Kessel, Schenn, Hall, Nichushkin, Stone, B. Ryan, Connolly
    Defence Karlsson, OEL, Shattenkirk, Murphy, Gardiner, Daley
    Goal Lehner, Schneider

Prospects Shinkaruk, Frk, Pulock, Marner, Zacha, Rod, Kapanen, Leblanc, Kristo, McNeill, Noesen, Tuch