Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Mason Raymond taken to hospital

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Mason Raymond taken to hospital

Mason Raymond was checked awkwardly into the boards and went to locker room. Between period update said they x-rayed him and took him to the hospital on a stretcher. In being in the medical field I'd estimate since he went butt first into the boards he has a pelvic or spinal fracture.

Banned

he skated off the ice (with help) so its not his spine (though it could be a cracked vertebrae or something I guess). I think with a hit like that its kinda hard to speculate since he went into the boards so awkwardly, could be a lot of things, I hope he's Ok tho

Dobber Sports Ninja

The thing that scares me is he couldn't even lift up his legs to get himself off the ice. They literally had to pull him up and over.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by b0ndon View Post
    The thing that scares me is he couldn't even lift up his legs to get himself off the ice. They literally had to pull him up and over.
    yeah I know, he's ****ed up to be sure, but if it was really bad they woulda brought the stretcher onto the ice and the whole deal, I think he probably broke a bone but not his pelvis, that's supposed to be one of the most painful things known to man and you wouldn't be getting up after that without about a liter of morphine
    Last edited by mister_mcgoo; June 13, 2011 at 11:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    he skated off the ice (with help) so its not his spine (though it could be a cracked vertebrae or something I guess). I think with a hit like that its kinda hard to speculate since he went into the boards so awkwardly, could be a lot of things, I hope he's Ok tho
    He wasn't skating, so much as gliding. I don't know what happened but it's pretty bad.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Master

It definitely did not look good at all. Looked like he got folded in two.....For sure a strain of all his back muscles and such and who knows with the spine..

I hope he's ok.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I love how no penalty was called for roughing/boarding or something of the sort. This didn't even get anything because I doubt they were looking at the play. It's a shame because nothing will come of this. Considering he didn't have the puck and was driven in to the boards something should have been called.

He was driven backwards (where you really can't put on the brakes) and was folded in half.

I know Horton's was worse but Rome got a penalty, a misconduct and then 4 games. This got nothing and probably won't have anything.
    League 1: 12 teams (drafted 10th) - Standard public Yahoo league - G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,SOG - W,GAA,SV%,SHO

C:
    LW:
    RW:
    D:
    G:

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Boogeypop View Post
    I love how no penalty was called for roughing/boarding or something of the sort. This didn't even get anything because I doubt they were looking at the play. It's a shame because nothing will come of this. Considering he didn't have the puck and was driven in to the boards something should have been called.

He was driven backwards (where you really can't put on the brakes) and was folded in half.

I know Horton's was worse but Rome got a penalty, a misconduct and then 4 games. This got nothing and probably won't have anything.
    refs made the right (non) call.

Dobber Sports Stud

I actually have to agree with BP. I don't know that it's suspendable, but I think that it was a penalty... Bouchuk used his stick to hold him down as he drove him into the boards. It's an unusual enough play that I don't see any intent beyond a normal check, but a dangerous play nonetheless. I'd be worried about lumbar compression, hopefully he is okay.
    T.G.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    I agree with BP too. That's a penalty. Raymond never touched the puck, so it's interference for sure.

edit: actually, now that I think about it more, with the NHL insisting on heavily weighing the result, and not so much the action, perhaps this should get a suspension. For the record, I don't agree with punishment that fits the result, but if that's how they want to do things, they have to be consistent with it. And it sounds (from the twitterverse) like Raymond is hurt pretty bad, sadly...
    precisely. what is the difference between a late rome hit and a late boychuck hit? not as violent?

but both were "potentially" interference as opposed to "finishing a check" and both resulted in a serious injury.

i expect 4 games for boychuck based on murphy's previous logic

Dobber Sports Sage

Hmmm interesting thoughts on this. I didn't see any sort of penalty.... I saw to guys go in to the boards all tied up together and one unfortunately got hurt. I liked that the refs let it go...I hope that Raymond is ok. His speed is a big loss to Van as it's one weapon we had against Boston's big D.
    10tm Dynasty Lg - $96M CAP
    G A PTS +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV% SO

C: Barkov, Eichel, McDavid
    RW: P. Kane, Okposo
    LW: E. Kane, Couture
    D: Subban, Byfuglien, Faulk, Vatanen, Morgan Reilly
    G: Schneider, Gibson/Andersen
    UTIL: Kuznetsov, Kadri, Little, Stone

Farm
    D: J. Schultz, Sekera, Hanifin, Hamonic
    F: Spooner, Silfverberg, Konecny, Roussell
    G: F. Andersen/Gibson, Mason, Ward, Anderson

Prospect:
    F - D Strome, Burakovsky, Raantanen, Bjorkstrand
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Stud

The Canucks plan to ask the NHL to review the play before Game 7.

Word on twitter is that it's another ruptured testicle (like Salo had), but no reliable sources that I can find, could easily be something someone started as a crass joke. Darren Dreger tweets "No specifics on Mason Raymond injury,but I'm told it's bad. More to come. Canucks furious over the hit because the puck was nowhere near".
    Last edited by Thieving Giraffe; June 14, 2011 at 3:05 AM.
    T.G.

Dobber Sports Icon

Nothing like the Rome hit. Rome was trying for a big hit plain and simple. Boychuk was playing his man when he should have been playing the puck. Raymond would have got the puck, but Boychuk tangled him up. They went into the boards awkwardly and Raymond ended up injured. While I could see an interference call since Mason Raymond didn't actually touch the puck, that is all I can see. Boychuk didn't even "finish his check" into the boards, they coasted in.

Here's the video proof:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoSLSU4e1XQ

Now if someone can prove me wrong, I will gladly admit defeat in this argument, but I don't see it happening.

Hopefully it is nothing serious though, Mason Raymond has a lot of talent and can be very exciting to watch.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Pro

The puck went right through Raymond (and Boychuk). Boychuk played the man and rode him out into the boards. There was no penalty on the play.

I am not really sure how this is being compared to the Rome hit at all.

If a penalty results in a serious injury or if a suspend-able act results in a serious injury then the NHL can decide if they want to add on a few games as some factions have been asking for for years. Obviously this is the "my guy is out so your guy should be out" logic. I do not like that line of thought but I can see the league moving in that direction as a deterrent.

The Wolverine

Aside from the unfortunate injury, what difference is this play compared to say, a defensive player lifts the offensive player's stick before the puck arrives? To say that it's interference because Raymond didn't touch the puck is ridiculous. The puck went between both of them when they made contact and Boychuk finished the 'check', which really wasn't much of one, rather both were just gliding into the boards. I hope Raymond is ok but there's no way that should be a penalty.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't interference come into play if he impeded/tied him up before the puck got there, rather than in this case where the player followed through after the puck went past them?