Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Crosby cleared for off-season workouts

Dobber Sports Legend

Here's what I have on good authority:

1. Crosby wasn't able to skate hard or ride the bike for more than 10 minutes in April without experiencing bad headaches, dizziness and other symptoms.

2. Neither Crosby or the Pens organization will take ANY risks here. If Sid is not 1,000% healed, he won't play. If he takes a hit in practice and feels even a little "weird", he will not play in a game.

The reality of the situation - when you evaluate it at its core - is that Crosby is a human being who has accomplished everything an NHL player could dream of in a short period of time. He has his Cup, his scoring titles, his MVP and his Olympic Gold. He is also financially set for life. As much as Crosby loves the game, common sense says he will not risk permanent brain injury for the sake of adding to his NHL legacy.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

I just think....and again me thinkin' out loud, nothin' more.....if Crosby were a 3rd line winger the owners wouldn't be "caring" so much about his future. I just can't seem to envision a scenario where Shero would say "Ya know, Crosby our 3rd line center, needs to take as long as he needs because his wife and kids depend on him. His job will be there when/if he heals"

Hockey players are chattel for ownership to benefit from, nothing more. Crosby just happens to find himself in the unique position as a player to have the upper hand and benefit of doing what he deems best. Few players can do that.

Again, good for Crosby. I am in no way judging him as he should take his time returning. No way am I commenting on the 'right-ness' or 'wrong-ness' of the situation.

I just think this scenario is rather telling is all......my cynicism biases me, to be sure.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    I just think....and again me thinkin' out loud, nothin' more.....if Crosby were a 3rd line winger the owners wouldn't be "caring" so much about his future. I just can't seem to envision a scenario where Shero would say "Ya know, Crosby our 3rd line center, needs to take as long as he needs because his wife and kids depend on him. His job will be there when/if he heals"

Hockey players are chattel for ownership to benefit from, nothing more. Crosby just happens to find himself in the unique position as a player to have the upper hand and benefit of doing what he deems best. Few players can do that.

Again, good for Crosby. I am in no way judging him as he should take his time returning. No way am I commenting on the 'right-ness' or 'wrong-ness' of the situation.

I just think this scenario is rather telling is all......my cynicism biases me, to be sure.
    Bomm, right or wrong, you are 100% right here. Crosby calls the shots and it's also in the Pens best interest to make sure their investment is protected. Someone like Asham could be worried his injury will prevent him from getting another pro contract, so there's some added incentive for a player of that status to perhaps "rush" back a little earlier.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Banned

Statement from his agent confirming this report is stupid and based on nothing:

Statement from Crosby's agent Pat Brisson re: Mario Tremblay's comments last night on RDS: "It is very disturbing and disappointing to me when someone from the media and especially an ex-player brings such baseless comments toward the medical status of a player. Unless a report comes from the medical staff and or an official voice for the player it's of no merit whatsoever.''

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I think there is certainly an element of what you say in this Bomm, however, I think it is risky to conclude that Crosby is just getting a lot of extra time to heal because of who he is, over "hey maybe this guy is in really tough shape".

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    I think there is certainly an element of what you say in this Bomm, however, I think it is risky to conclude that Crosby is just getting a lot of extra time to heal because of who he is, over "hey maybe this guy is in really tough shape".
    That's sort of my point, shoeless, we'll never know. And I'm in no way attempting diagnose the severity of his injury. My point is merely whether the injury is or isn't severe, Crosby is in the unique position of being able to take his time...regardless. Good for him.

I just don't want the Penquins brass playing his delay off as if they care about his future well being. They don't. They only care about their cost/benefit analysis.
    @SmittysRant

To expand....

If Crosby returns and uses this experience and his elevated position w/in the NHL to make a difference w/regard to player safety, rules, etc...become an advocate for those players not in a position to take a stand then I will respect him as one of the most influential players ever.

If, however, he returns to merely go about his business, win another cup or individual award...then f-him he's no better than the owners.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Master

I traded Crosby about a month ago as I think he is too risky to own now. The trade was just around the time they reported he was having a setback. One bad hit could be all it takes to end his career. I also think he will have a target on him from opposing teams. They know his history and they know how dangerous he is. I think there are players in the NHL that will prey on that... as reprehensible as it is.

I cashed him in for what I could get. It was nowhere near what he is worth either, but I am satisfied with the return I got. In my opinion, Crosby is a tragedy in the making for everyone involved.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic_Wedgy View Post
    I traded Crosby about a month ago as I think he is too risky to own now. The trade was just around the time they reported he was having a setback. One bad hit could be all it takes to end his career. I also think he will have a target on him from opposing teams. They know his history and they know how dangerous he is. I think there are players in the NHL that will prey on that... as reprehensible as it is.

I cashed him in for what I could get. It was nowhere near what he is worth either, but I am satisfied with the return I got. In my opinion, Crosby is a tragedy in the making for everyone involved.
    What did you get?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thumbs down

I rejected a Crosby-for-Perry + high pick trade offer at the beginning of March.

That would've easily won me the league. But really, could anyone make a trade like that? Haha.

Dobber Sports Guru

Bylsma on Crosby:
    “He came back to Pittsburgh after a hiatus or vacation with some of his teammates. The doctors here cleared him to go home and work out as he normally would be working out. He’s been working out two times a day and progressing along his normal road of summer activity. That’s what Sid has been doing. He’s got another two and a half months ahead of doing that.”
    http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.ht...wt-pghpenguins
    UHL Pittsburgh Penguins

24 Team Fantrax Salary Cap H2H Dynasty League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    , Hits, Blks, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO
    23 Man Roster - 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 1G, 4BN, 4IR
    27 Man Minor Team

C-
    Tavares, Stepan, Granlund, Bjugstad, Couturier
    LW- Ryan, Perron, Ennis, Killorn, Spaling
    RW-
    Wheeler, Simmonds, Coyle, Wingels, Shaw
    D-
    JJ, Schultz, Cowen, Muzzin, Bortuzzo, Stanton
    G- Lehtonen, Rämö

F: Lehterä, Wennberg,
    McNeill, de la Rose, Fast, Leivo, Arnold, Archibald, Lindström
    D: Gelinas, Beaulieu, Koekkoek, McCabe, Johns, Gryba
    G: Berra, Talbot, Brossoit, Ullmark, Lieuwen, Rynnäs

*UHL Champion 2014*

Dobber Sports Stud

I'm on the fence. I traded him away in one league and traded to get him in another. Fantasy aside, I think 99% of the hockey world just hopes for a full recovery and, as has been mentioned, he will not return until he is 100% and not a minute sooner.
    Two Stroke Hockey League - Points only, full keeper
    Capwise Full Keeper H2H Roto Leagues: East Coast Fantasy League,
    Icey Cups Fantasy Hockey League - H2H Points, Full Keeper

Banned

time will tell...at first I bought into the 'Pens playing it ultra cautious' mentality but as this stretched on and on I started to think that maybe there was a lot more to his injury than anyone in the Pens organization is letting on. Some players are just predisposed to concussions and concussion related problems, if that's the case with Sid, he's worth about as much as Gaborik IMO and his once promising career will be cut short. If I owned him in any leagues I would be holding him right now, hope for a solid recovery and then look at trades about 20 games into the season when he has 34 pts or so and GMs have forgotten about his concussion

Dobber Sports Master

As much as it can make sense from a certain perspective I just can't see myself trading Crosby at all. Perhaps it depends on each fantasy team's situation but how do I trade a player whose talent, upside and work ethic vastly surpass anyone else's in the league? IMO no one can match his upside and at his age he is far more likely to have a full recovery, no matter how long it takes. I know in hindsight it may have been the correct course of action, but there's just no way I could do it. Not now at least, but my gut tells me not ever.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

NY streets, sewers & on occasion in a farm

Dobber Sports Sophomore

If Bergeron can take a year off, why can't Crosby? He may have had a so-so regular season, but he was puttin up near ppg during the playoffs, which is where he was pre-concussions. The obstacles that they both have faced are kind of similar as well. Patrice was told to get away from the game for a while and take a vacation when he suffered a set back in his recovery, much like Sid. I don't think the Bruins mind now that he took his time to get better.

The thing that we've got to realize is that the diagnosis of the concussions were either off or the team was playing the ever so popular "there's nothing wrong with player x" game. Regardless of the case in point, it's clear now that Crosby has been dealing with symptoms more of the major variety rather than minor. He is going to take every precaution before stepping back on to the ice, not only for his own well being, but because he knows how big of an ambassador to the game he is. The question is, being so cautious, can he tell the difference between your run of the mill head ache or a symptom? That could be the difference of him playing this coming year or next
    THE GOONGALA SQUAD