Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Crosby cleared for off-season workouts

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Crosby cleared for off-season workouts

Not sure how much this really represents in the way of progress (I feel like I've heard this before?), but Puck Daddy is reporting that Sidney Crosby has been cleared for off-season workouts:

PITTSBURGH (AP) - Penguins center Sidney Crosby has been cleared by team doctors to start offseason, off-ice workouts.

Crosby played his last game on Jan. 5, and did not return for the Penguins as he recovered from a concussion. Pittsburgh advanced to the playoffs without him, but lost in Round 1 to Tampa Bay in seven games.

Crosby, who sustained two hard hits in as many games before being shut down, will work out with a personal trainer for the next 2-3 weeks in Cole Harbor, Nova Scotia, according to Penguins general manager Ray Shero, and will be monitored by Dr. Michael Collins of University of Pittsburgh Medical Center.

€œEverything will be closely managed by Dr. Collins,€ Shero said, €œin terms of his progression leading up to him getting on the ice later in the summer per his usual routine.€
    One step at a time...
    T.G.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Better than nothing. Thanks for the update.

Dobber Sports Sage

This is big news. Workouts is the step after bike riding which is good progress.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Thanks this is some good news!
    The puck stops here!
    8 teams, Points only, 2 pts goalie win (+2 for blank)
    The best 12F -- 6D -- 2G count.
    Real salary (not cap hit), 65M salary cap

Dobber Sports Veteran

Same comments at Rotoworld:

http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/injuries/nhl/all/?r=1

Also, as per RDS.ca, Crosby will begin to work out next 2-3 weeks in Nova-Scotia, and should begin on ice traning in August:

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/320639.html
    1) 16 teams full keeper H2H. Start 9F, 4D, 1G, 2 Championships
    pts: (D : 7 pts G /5 pts A), (F : 5pts G /3 pts A), (G : 10 pts W / 5 pts SO), (D/F : 1 pt +/-, 0.5 pts PIM, 0.1 FOW, 0.2 Hits, 0.3 pts SOG, PP and SH).

Forward : Aho, Svechnikov, PLDubois, Giroux, Couture, Wheeler, Cozens, Karlsson, Vrana, Anderson,​Greenway,

Defenses : Dahlin, Fox, Doughty, Toews, , Slavin, Miller

Goalies : Oettinger, Vanecek, Bobrovsky

Prospects : Dostal, Schmid, Chinakhov, Bordeleau, Ostlund, Brindley, Gulyayev

Bob McKenzie RT'd this article this afternoon:
    http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_740137.html

It's great news, but something in the article really struck me:
    "He had not worked out in any form since late April, when his attempt to return from a concussion and play in the Stanley Cup playoffs was halted by the re-occurrence of headaches.

Shero said he "did not want to speculate" about the nature of those headaches, but Crosby's confidants have said those were the result of a sinus infection."

A sinus infection? Really? C'man!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

The Crosby Show welcomes this news.
    Follow me on Twitter: AngusCertified
    Check my blog out: Angus Certified

Dobber Sports Genius

Not to entertain the seemingly impossible and I obviously would be pretty pissed if this did transpire, but if we're dealing with reality for a second does anyone, emotions aside, other than myself from a rational standpoint not think giving the seemingly "non-Booth like" nature of how he recieved his concussion coupled with this being an extremely lengthy recovery (from what was a medium to mild grade concussion) does anyone else, again from a purely rational non-emotional standpoint, legitimately think he is actually relatively likely to be reconcussed again next season which could jeopardize his career? No one wants this to happen obviously, both from a fantasy or even a general fan of the game standpoint, but his situation is looking about as bad as anyone's i've ever seen and also came off a compartively "average" at best form of physical contact from a "severity" standpoint compared to other people (ie; Lindros via Stevens) with such similar serious concussion issues?

Quote Originally Posted by MT319 View Post
    Not to entertain the seemingly impossible and I obviously would be pretty pissed if this did transpire, but if we're dealing with reality for a second does anyone, emotions aside, other than myself from a rational standpoint not think giving the seemingly "non-Booth like" nature of how he recieved his concussion coupled with this being an extremely lengthy recovery (from what was a medium to mild grade concussion) does anyone else, again from a purely rational non-emotional standpoint, legitimately think he is actually relatively likely to be reconcussed again next season which could jeopardize his career? No one wants this to happen obviously, both from a fantasy or even a general fan of the game standpoint, but his situation is looking about as bad as anyone's i've ever seen and also came off a compartively "average" at best form of physical contact from a "severity" standpoint compared to other people (ie; Lindros via Stevens) with such similar serious concussion issues?
    Somewhat similar to what I was thinking, but the other side of the coin. I was coming at it from the perspective of.....

Would anyone not named Crosby or Ovechkin gotten such wide discretion, latitude, whatever you want to call it, in deciding when to come back from what appeared to be a less than severe concussion?

Now before everyone jumps down my throat yo should know I have neg rep so I am pretty badass around these parts.

But seriously, it may very well be a moot point, but I couldn't help but think of the majority of players who upon receiving a concussion think to themselves "Man I have to get back out there so I don't lose my spot".

Don't misinterpret, I'm not knocking him....just me thinking out loud.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Genius

I think that there is a bit of both at play. A premier superstar doesn't have to worry about losing a job after a prolonged injury, but when it comes to concussions, I think that athletes/medics have learned that caution today, or lack thereof, may have major implications in the future.

Crosby's situation is definitely intersting. I am not sure at this point if thee recovery has been so slow (lots of excitment over this latest news, but it has been a long time coming) because his "corner" is being extra careful sheltering this generational talent, or, is Crosby's career in jeopardy? The day and week after the hit, no one thought that it was anywhere near this severe.

Also, it will be interesting to see how Crosby's game will change if at all when he returns. The same way players didn't take enough time to recover from concussion's in the past, whereas now they do, players also adjust thier playing style post concussion nowadays compared to 10-15+ years ago. Maybe he loses an edge. I hope not. I hope he continues his rise into legend status, but at this point, I think it's foolish not to be uber cautious and a tad wooried with his progression.

Dobber Sports Genius

I think if he decides to play he will be as good as he was, I don't think he'll be tentative in that sense. I do think though that he is a far heavier risk of reinjury next season and possibly on the road to career jeopardy than anyone is truly willing to admit. For a relatively "non-serious" facilitated concussion and mild/moderate concussion scale diagnosis. He is experiencing symptoms in general for way, way too long in my opinion. The start up and then set-back thing after so much time and such a medial hit is what tips it towards the side of "high risk" for reinjury to me/potential career jeopardy as opposed to just being overly cautious with a star player type scenario.

I think if he decides to play he will be as good as he was, I don't think he'll be tentative in that sense. I do think though that he is a far heavier risk of reinjury next season and possibly on the road to career jeopardy than anyone is truly willing to admit. For a relatively "non-serious" facilitated concussion and mild/moderate concussion scale diagnosis. He is experiencing symptoms in general for way, way too long in my opinion. The start up and then set-back thing after so much time and such a medial hit is what tips it towards the side of "high risk" for reinjury to me/potential career jeopardy as opposed to just being overly cautious with a star player type scenario.
    I actually agree w/that.
    @SmittysRant

As per Mario Tramblay On RDS (I hate the guy) Crosby sustained 2 concussions in juniors while plaing with Rimouski.

Take it for what its worth

French article
    http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/320697.html
    The puck stops here!
    8 teams, Points only, 2 pts goalie win (+2 for blank)
    The best 12F -- 6D -- 2G count.
    Real salary (not cap hit), 65M salary cap

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by rainydrinkwater View Post
    Also, it will be interesting to see how Crosby's game will change if at all when he returns. .
    I think he's smart enough to make adjustments to both be safer and keep his edge. Keep in mind he had no choice but to be overly aggressive with the line-mates he had. Given some of the moves Pit made last season and with a healthy Malkin, some of the burden of carrying the team will be off his shoulders. I'd expect less scoring and more setup as a result of both things. Which is still OK.

10 team H2H !Y League (4 keepers - at least 1 must be a D-man OR Goalie)
    Start - 2C, 2L, 2R, 1U, 3D, 2G, 6Bench,​ 2IR, 2IR+ (Daily) (5 moves per week)
    Skaters - G, A, +/-, PPP,
    PIM, HITS, BS, GWG, SOG
    Goalies - Wins, Saves, S%, GAA (Min. 4 starts)
    Championships 2007, 2009, 2012, 2016, 2017,
    2019*, 2023

C-McDavid, Trocheck, Suzuki
    L-B.Tkachuk(C/L), Forsberg,
    Konecny(L/R)
    R-Hyman(L/R), Svechnikov(L/R), P. Kane
    D-Dahlin, ​Josi,
    G-​​DeSmith, Thompson, Hill
    IR
    -Demko

Dobber Sports Demi-God

You aren't alone MT319. I don't own him in a fantasy league, but if I did - at the first sign of real optimism about his return, I would be trading him.

I don't buy Bomm's latitude theory, well at least not completely.