Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: DY's 2011 NHL Entry Mock Draft

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

The Top 10 is complete after finishing three today (Murphy, Siemens and Zibanejad)

You can check the initial post for the quick look at all of the picks as we go along. There is a chance that I get COLORADO's second pick done tonight (no. 11) but no gaurantees

Recap (so far):
    1st - EDM - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
    2nd - COL - Gabriel Landeskog
    3rd - FLA - Jonathon Huberdeau
    4th - NJD - Adam Larsson
    5th - NYI - Sean Couturier
    6th - OTT -Ryan Strome
    7th - ATL - Dougie Hamilton
    8th - CLB - Ryan Murphy
    9th - BOS - Duncan Siemens
    10th- MIN - Mika Zibanejad

Banned

I will guess that you get 2/10 right

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    I will guess that you get 2/10 right
    Maybe. There are quite a few dumb NHL GM's
    Last edited by Dean Youngblood; May 31, 2011 at 9:39 PM.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post
    The Top 10 is complete after finishing three today (Murphy, Siemens and Zibanejad)

You can check the initial post for the quick look at all of the picks as we go along. There is a chance that I get COLORADO's second pick done tonight (no. 11) but no gaurantees

Recap (so far):
    1st - EDM - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
    2nd - COL - Gabriel Landeskog
    3rd - FLA - Jonathon Huberdeau
    4th - NJD - Adam Larsson
    5th - NYI - Sean Couturier
    6th - OTT -Ryan Strome
    7th - ATL - Dougie Hamilton
    8th - CLB - Ryan Murphy
    9th - BOS - Duncan Siemens
    10th- MIN - Mika Zibanejad
    1. EDM- Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Centre, Red Deer
    2. COL- Gabriel Landeskog, Left Wing, Kitchener
    3. FLA- Sean Couturier, Centre, Drumondville
    4. NJ- Adam Larsson, Defenceman, Skelleftea
    5. NYI- Jonathan Huberdeau, Centre, Saint John
    6. OTT- Ryan Strome, Centre, Niagra
    7. ATL/WIN- Ryan Murphy, Defenceman, Kitchener
    8. CLS- Dougie Hamilton, Defenceman, Niagra
    9. BOS- Duncan Siemens, Defenceman, Saskatoon
    10. MIN- Mika Zibanejad, Centre, Djurgardens

I have all the same players just slightly different order in my mock.
    I could PM you my whole mock (the entire first round) if you wanted to take a look. I'll have to dig up the file on my computer, if you want to see it I can PM it to you tomorrow.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by dmvincent View Post
    1. EDM- Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Centre, Red Deer
    2. COL- Gabriel Landeskog, Left Wing, Kitchener
    3. FLA- Sean Couturier, Centre, Drumondville
    4. NJ- Adam Larsson, Defenceman, Skelleftea
    5. NYI- Jonathan Huberdeau, Centre, Saint John
    6. OTT- Ryan Strome, Centre, Niagra
    7. ATL/WIN- Ryan Murphy, Defenceman, Kitchener
    8. CLS- Dougie Hamilton, Defenceman, Niagra
    9. BOS- Duncan Siemens, Defenceman, Saskatoon
    10. MIN- Mika Zibanejad, Centre, Djurgardens

I have all the same players just slightly different order in my mock.
    I could PM you my whole mock (the entire first round) if you wanted to take a look. I'll have to dig up the file on my computer, if you want to see it I can PM it to you tomorrow.
    Order is definitely the most difficult part.

Sure, send it my way and I will take a look. I always enjoy your insights on players

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

PM sent.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I'm hoping Florida takes Couturier so that I don't feel like I need to avoid Huberdeau...

Zibanejad is a really intriguing player.

Dobber Sports Wizard

I have a bad feeling Zibanejad could become the next Colton Gillies in Minnesota.

I would also recommend that Chuck Fletcher strongly consider Portland's Sven Bartschi and Assat's Joel Armia. Bartschi lacks size but the scoring punch is definitely there. Armia's biggest fault is consistency but he has star potential and is a big bodied winger.
    I would love to see Armia with the Wild. Granlund-Koivu-Armia could play together. And Minnesota would start their season in Finland every year.

Siemens plays with more of an edge and probably projects to be more offensive than Schenn.

The comparison isn't too far off but Siemens is definitely nastier than Schenn. Both players play the physical game very well though.
    Thanks for this!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

The remaining picks will feature a few changes now that the Top 10 has been completed:

- I will release a minimum of two picks per day (or attempt to)
    - "Breaking it Down" section will become shorter in length and focus mainly on it's team needs and notable prospects
    - The "DY as GM" section will identify whether I agree with the expected pick and I will name a few other candidates that would make good selections too.

Smooth sailing from here on out (I hope)

#11 is on it's way

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default The Colorado Avalanche select...

COLORADO AVALANCHE - 11th Overall

Team Need(s):
    -Goaltending
    -Wingers

Breaking it Down:

The Shattenkirk-Stewart for Erik Johnson brought St. Louis' 11th overall pick to Colorado and it is a fantastic pick to own. Assuming that the Avs select Landeskog with its 2nd overall pick then Colorado could go several different ways with this pick. Even with Landeskog now in the system, Colorado could certainly use more offensive depth in their system by picking a forward with top six potential. On the otherhand, Sherman could opt to add depth to their organization by drafting a defenseman but it is definitely not a "need". The 11th overall pick is too high for the Avalanche to select a goaltender - especially with this years' lackluster goalie crop. The Avalanche should be looking to add another top six forward and have the opportunity to take a bit of a risk.

The Decision:

Greg Sherman of the Colorado quickly makes his way up onto the draft stage with a brand new Avalanche jersey sporting the number "11" on the back to make the 11th overall selection,

"With the 11th overall selection of the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, the Colorado Avalanche will select swiss winger Sven Bartschi from the WHL's Portland Winterhawks "

Why Sven Bartschi?

Bartschi represents one of the most skilled players in the 2011 draft class and he certainly has a knack for shooting the puck. The undersized winger (5'10) makes up for his small stature with his excellent skating. Bartschi had an impressive WHL rookie campaign as he notched 34 goals and 85 points finishing as the league's top rookie scorer. While his playmaking skills are well polished, Bartschi projects to be more of a shooter and he can really shoot the puck with tremendous accuracy. Scouts have been impressed with his defensive game as well.

Sven Bartschi, Portland Winterhawks (WHL)
    Position: Left Wing

Shoots: Left
    Height: 5'10", Weight: 181 lbs
    Hometown: Langenthal, SUI
    66GP-34G-51A-85P

DY as GM: Bartschi certainly has the potential to become a very good player and scouts have to love his developmental progression. Bartschi would add good depth to the Avalanche's left wing position. Regardless of who the Avalanche select, each player comes with his strengths and faults. Bartschi would make a good pick for Colorado. I would also swing for the fences with a player like Rocco Grimaldi as he's become a personal favourite of mine. In saying that, Colorado would have to absolutely LOVE Grimaldi to make him the 11th overall selection as the dimunitive center is extremely small (5'6"). Look for the Avs to consider defenseman Nathan Beaulieu, centerman Mark McNeil and winger Joel Armia. Bartschi and Armia fit Colorado's winger needs the best.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default The Caro Hurricanes select...

CAROLINA HURRICANES - 12th Overall

Team Need(s):
    -Defencemen (Top 4)
    -Wingers
    - Goaltending

Breaking it Down:

Traditionally, Jim Rutherford has been quite shy to draft defencemen for the Hurricanes within the first round. Last year, Carolina made five of their total eight picks defencemen. Carolina's defensive depth includes the likes of Jamie McBain, Justin Faulk, Brian Dumoulin and Bobby Sanguinetti who are all at different levels of their development. The Hurricanes could definitely use an elite defenseman within their system. Eric Staal, Brandon Sutter, Zach Boychuk and Zac Dalpe form solid depth at the center position while Skinner, Bowman, Terry and Justin Shugg provide hope for the future on the wings. The Hurricanes will need to add a goalie to their system soon but it's not an overly pressing issue with Ward, Peters and Murphy occupying the team's top three goaltending spots.

The Decision:

The vetran GM Jim Rutherford pulls the microphone inwards to make his selection,

"The Carolina Hurricanes would like to thank the Minnesota wild and residents of St. Paul the hospitality. It's been a great week for all of us. The Carolina Hurricanes select defenseman Nathan Beaulieu of the Memorial Cup Champions Saint John Sea Dogs."

Why Nathan Beaulieu?

Beaulieu represents the ideal puckmoving defenseman with well-rounded defensive skills. Playing for Saint Johns, Beaulieu learned a lot playing alongside Pittsburgh prospect Simon Depres as the team gained big game experience throughout their Memorial Cup championship run. Nathan comes from good hockey bloodlines and owns a great package of offensive and defensive skills. Born in Strathroy, ON and raised in the maritimes, Nathan has emerged as an offensive defenseman that is capable of leading the rush with his superb skating skills. At 6-foot 3-inches and 191-pounds Beaulieu owns good NHL-size and has shown that he can play physically and isn't afraid of dropping the gloves. Like all young defencemen, Beaulieu has struggled at times with his offensive consistency but if he falls to the 12th spot then Carolina is getting a steal with this potential top-four defender.

Nathan Beaulieu, Saint Johns Sea Dogs (QMJHL)
    Position: Defenseman
    Shoots: Left
    Height: 6'2", Weight: 174 lbs
    Hometown: Strathroy, ON
    65GP-12G-33A-45P

DY as GM: No complaints on this pick here. Carolina hasn't drafted a defenseman in the first round since Jack Johnson (2005) . Rutherford has always had a tendency to select forwards in the first round and with Mark McNeil and Joel Armia left on the board he could become tempted. Armia is an extremely talented Finn that could join countrymates Pitkanen (UFA; not expected back), Jokinen (UFA; questionable), Ruutu, and prospect Osala (fled overseas recently). Beaulieu is the money pick here.
    Last edited by Dean Youngblood; June 4, 2011 at 1:01 AM.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default The Calgary Flames select....

CALGARY FLAMES - 13th Overall

Team Need(s):
    -Offensive Defenseman
    -Top Line Center

Breaking it Down:

Entering the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, Calgary will be trying to fill organizational needs that have been the same for several years now. The Flames are in need of that top line centerman but could also use another offensive defenseman in the system as well. Newly appointed General Manager Jay Feaster is currently playing hardball with one of Calgary's top offensive defencemen in Tim Erixon but it's expected that he will be re-signed but the deadline today. TJ Brodie has been a tremendous development story for the Flames after he was selected in the fourth round of the '08 draft. Calgary has one of the leagues' weakest prospect pools and have struggled to develop any noteworthy players into NHLers. Jay Feaster will be looking to change that trend. Olli Jokinen and Matt Stajan are not the future top line centerman for the Flames while Mikael Backlund is a possibility, it is more likely that he becomes their second line center. Calgary should be looking to find that top line center first and some help on defence second.

The Decision:

Jay Feaster will make his first impact in the draft as he has now been "officially' named General Manager,

"With the 13th selection, the Calgary Flames organization would like to select Mark McNeil from the Prince Albert Raiders of the Western Hockey League"

Why Mark McNeil?

McNeil fits the Calgary Flames' needs perfectly as they add a big bodied powerful centerman to their depth charts. There are many who have compared Mark McNeil to Ryan Getzlaf as he projects to be a playmaking power forward. The Prince Albert Raider made the most of his opportunity as the teams' top line center notching 81 points in 70 WHL games. McNeil is a very good skater considering his large frame but it's his hockey IQ and complete game that has him so high on most scouts draft boards. McNeil has the potential to be selected within the top 10 but is likely to fall into the 10-15 range. The Flames should be thrilled if they are able to select McNeil and address an extremely important organizational weakness.

Mark McNeil, Prince Albert Raiders (WHL)
    Position: Center

Shoots: Right
    Height: 6'2", Weight: 210 lbs
    Hometown: Langley, BC
    70GP-32G-49A-81P

DY as GM: Ahhhhh....I would like to hope that McNeil could fall to the Maple Leafs but there is no chance in hell of that happening. McNeil is a personal favourite of mine when talking draft-eligible centers. Feaster would be starting off on a good foot if McNeil becomes property of the Calgary Flames. Other possible candidates for the Flames include: Armia (again), JT Miller, Scheifele, or Oleksiak. The risk-reward is too high for players like Armia, Scheifele and Oleksiak as the Flames can't afford to make another mistake with their prospects. McNeil is a great option.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Wow, if Colorado can grab some combo of Landeskog/Larsson/Huberdeau/Bartschi that would be unreal. Fans should definitely be excited.

McNeill would be a great fit for Calgary as well. Even as an Oiler fan I'd love to see the Calgary Flames have a good draft - I may hate the team but there's some fabulous players that I'd really like to see have another shot at the cup. Can't help but love Iggy, Giordano, Kipper and a few others.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default The Dallas Stars select...

DALLAS STARS- 14th Overall

Team Need(s):
    -Defenseman
    -Skilled Forwards - Centerman/Left Wing

Breaking it Down:

The Dallas Stars are in need of some defensive prospects within their system but with Larsson, Hamilton, Murphy, Siemens and Beaulieu off the board the remaining defencemen carry some risk (Oleksiak and Morrow). Joe Niewendyk will be busy trying to get star forward Brad Richards re-signed but his scouting staff has been working full time in order to solve their lack of defensive support. The acquisition of Alex Goligoski and development have Philip Larsen has provided hope and a little less urgency for defencemen but the Stars will need to address the weakness during the 2011 draft. Jack Campbell (G), Scott Glennie (RW), Alex Chiasson (RW) and Reilly Smith (RW) will be the names of the future Stars.

The Decision:

A tired-looking Joe Niewendyk hangs-up the phone after talking to the draft-day war room war room, stands up from the Dallas Stars' draft table, fixes his suit jacket and walks toward the draft stage to make the team's selection

"The Dallas Stars are thrilled to select forward Joel Armia of Assat of the Finnish League with the 14th selection of the draft. Thanks"

Why Joel Armia?

Desperately in need of defensive prospects, Dallas GM Niewendyk opts for the potential steal of the draft in Finland's Joel Armia. The 6-foot 3-inch skilled winger may possibly have the highest upside of all potential players in this draft. The lack of consistency is Armia's biggest fault but scouts fully understand and recognize his ability to control the game when the puck is on his stick. Armia has the ability to stick handle in a phone booth and possesses one of the draft's most accurate shots. When talking about his offensive upside the sky really is the limit for this big bodied forward. Dallas has to love the skillset he could bring to the organization and he could be the potential set-up man to replace Brad Richards on the powerplay. Armia has shown signs of disinterest while playing in Finland's top league but Armia is a top ten talent (in terms of skill) and would be the best player available at the 14th position. Armia's stock has dropped due to his lackadaisical effort but it's expected a team will take a homerun swing on him inside the top fifteen

Joel Armia, Assat (SM-Liiga)
    Position: Right Wing
    Shoots: Right
    Height: 6'3", Weight: 191 lbs
    Hometown: Pori, Finland
    48GP-18G-11A-29P

DY as GM: I am taking a risk here predicting that Dallas chooses Armia especially with their need for a defenseman. Oleksiak and/or Klefbom would be strong picks at the 14th position but I think that Dallas will be drawn to the upside of Armia and his ability to control the puck on the powerplay.

If I was in Niewendyk's shoes I would probably opt for one of the two abovementioned defenders simply because of their lack of depth at that position. Both Oleksiak and Armia have the potential to develop into draft day steals but could also struggle to establish themselves too. My gut feeling is that Armia becomes a star (if available)

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Productive day so far. Four picks done including Bartschi (11th), Beaulieu (12th), McNeil (13th) and Armia (14th). I may get to more later today but don't bank on it

Enjoy

PS - I have tried to keep them shorter but I am a rambler and it appears that my attempt to shorten the analysis has failed