Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: DY's 2011 NHL Entry Mock Draft

Dobber Sports Genius

Yeah, this is a pretty deep draft for the top 5 to be this good. I'm curious if any teams trade their top five picks.
    Sites: www.twitter.com/tsgraveline tsgraveline.blogspot.com thesharkremarks.blogspot.com

Team 1:10 Multi-Cat Roto league

C- Malkin,Giroux,Thornton Galchenyuk, Schenn, Berglund, Eller
    LW- Hall,Ovechkin, E.Kane Saad
    RW- Seguin, Stewart, PAP
    D- Subban,Phaneuf Keith, OEL, Hedman,
    G- Pavelec,Hiller Lindback, Theodore, Lehner

Team 2:24 H2H League Multi-Cat

C- Weiss, Galchenyuk, Desharnais, Vitale
    LW- Parise, Bailey, Torres, King, Bissonnette
    RW- Ovechkin, Clowe, Asham, Gagner
    D- Boyle, Klesla, Souray, Hjalmarsson, Niskanen, Hickey, Lovejoy, Potter
    G-Holtby, Halak

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default The Winnipeg __________ select....

ATLANTA/WINNIPEG/MANITOBA THRASHERS - 7th Overall

Note: With the expectations that Winnipeg will soon be named the new home for Atlanta I will be referring to this team as Winnipeg

Team Need(s):
    - Second Line Center
    - Top 4 Defenseman
    - Future Backup Goaltender

Breaking it Down:

Atlanta Winnipeg will get a fresh breath of air once the legal paperwork is complete and the league (officially) announces that the team will begin next season playing in front of Winnipeg's loyal fanbase. What better way to start fresh than welcoming another top prospect to your organization a few weeks later. The Thrashers franchise has been stockpiling prospects for the past few years that include Alexander Burmistrov (2010), Ivan Telegin (2010), Evander Kane (2009), Carl Klingberg (2009) and Zach Bogosian (2008). General Manager Rick Dudley has the luxury of picking the best player available with no glaring holes in their organizational depth chart. In saying that, Winnipeg would probably pounce on one of the top centers if Huberdeau, Couturier or Strome fell to them.

The Decision:

Rick Dudley will appear at the podium with a masked-man wearing the jersey of the newly named Winnipeg franchise,

"On behalf of the fans of Winnipeg that have waited so long for the return of an NHL franchise I would like to reveal the identity of the masked-man. Please remove your mask sir."

The man slowly turns around as his #8 jersey faces the draft floor. He peels off his mask and turns around throwing it into the air. The crowd explodes in applause as Teemu Selanne shoots the flying mask circa 1992-93.

Teemu speaks,

"Winnipeg, I will be returning to your city for one more season." Epic applause.

After an eight minute standing ovation, Teemu continues,

"With the 7th pick of the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, the Winnipeg ________s are pleased to make defenseman Dougie Hamilton from the Niagara IceDogs the first ever draft pick of this new franchise"

Why Dougie Hamilton?

Hamilton might not be available at seventh as he's a difficult prospect to read. There are some people who believe Hamilton could be drafted as high as fourth and others who feel he may slide late into the first round (no chance). Dougie Hamilton is a defenseman who projects to be a top four defenseman capable of logging big minutes. He owns a smooth powerful skating stride to combine with good size and good hockey IQ. To add, Dougie Hamilton recently took home the CHLs 2011 Scholastic Player of the Year award after finishing with a 94% average and that intelligence shouldn't be overlooked.

In all likelihood, Hamilton will likely develop into a defender similar to Calgary's Jay Bouwmeester. Hamilton has good offensive instincts that will allow him to play effectively on the powerplay but also plays a good sound defensive game. Hamilton would join a talented defence core that features Tobias Enstrom, Dustin Byfuglien, and Zach Bogosian. It's been rumoured for a while that Bogosian might be on the move which would make the Hamilton-pick look like a good fit as his replacement.

Dougie Hamilton,Niagara IceDogs (OHL)
    Position: Defenseman
    Shoots: Right
    Height: 6'4, Weight: 187 lbs
    Hometown: St. Catharines, ON
    67GP-12G-46A-58P

DY as GM: Hamilton is a solid prospect who I believe is one of the more sure-fire NHLers. But, with Atlanta moving to Winnipeg, I would love to see the new franchise make a huge splash by trading up. As I stated in the Winnipeg introduction, I feel that Atlanta will pick the best player available. In my opinion, Dougie Hamilton would be a good pick if he fell to seventh.
    Last edited by Dean Youngblood; May 30, 2011 at 9:40 PM.

Dobber Sports Genius

Would love to see a Teemu trick like that, but I know it won't happen.

Keep up the good work DY.
    Sites: www.twitter.com/tsgraveline tsgraveline.blogspot.com thesharkremarks.blogspot.com

Team 1:10 Multi-Cat Roto league

C- Malkin,Giroux,Thornton Galchenyuk, Schenn, Berglund, Eller
    LW- Hall,Ovechkin, E.Kane Saad
    RW- Seguin, Stewart, PAP
    D- Subban,Phaneuf Keith, OEL, Hedman,
    G- Pavelec,Hiller Lindback, Theodore, Lehner

Team 2:24 H2H League Multi-Cat

C- Weiss, Galchenyuk, Desharnais, Vitale
    LW- Parise, Bailey, Torres, King, Bissonnette
    RW- Ovechkin, Clowe, Asham, Gagner
    D- Boyle, Klesla, Souray, Hjalmarsson, Niskanen, Hickey, Lovejoy, Potter
    G-Holtby, Halak

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default The Columbus Blue Jackets select...

COLUMBUS BLUE JACKETS - 8th Overall

Team Need(s):
    - Puck moving defencemen (multiple) BOLDED. Italicized. And, underlined.
    - Goaltending Depth

Breaking it Down:

No surprise here. The Columbus Blue Jackets have been desperately trying get a puck moving defenseman that is capable of getting the puck in the hands of its talented forward group consisting of Rick Nash, Derick Brassard, Jakob Voracek and soon-to-be-NHLer Ryan Johansen. The factorganization has actually drafted some defencemen with good offensive skills that could develop into the quarterback they need in prospects John Moore ('09), David Savard ('09) and Cody Goloubef ('08). Both Anton Stralman and Kris Stralman haven't developed that the organization had hoped for. There should be several candidates available when the Blue Jackets pick at the 8th spot but it will be up to Scott Howson to identify who is the best fit and the pressure is high for the fourth-year general manager. Let's get to the point as everyone fully expects the Blue Jackets to draft a defenseman...

The Decision:

After long nights of watching film and debating several different draft targets Scott Howson approaches the draft stage to make Columbus' first round selection,

"The Blue Jackets are thrilled to draft a player of his calibre at this position and would like to select defenseman Ryan Murphy from the Kitchener Rangers of the Ontario Hockey League"

Why Ryan Muphy?

Murphy should not be a surprise pick if he is still on the board when it is Columbus' turn. The young defenseman oozes offensive talent like no other defenseman in an entry draft since Ryan Ellis. While Howson will definitely take a close look at prospects Nathan Beaulieu, Jamie Oleksiak, Oscar Klefbom and Duncan Siemens, it is the smooth skating defenseman with silky smooth hands that the Jackets should be targeting.

The city of Columbus has never had a defenseman that can skate and provide offense like Murphy can and he should provide the organization with a breath of fresh air. Murphy isn't large by NHL standards but his lack of size should not be an issue as his skating skills will more than make up for that. The Kitchener Ranger will need to bulk up and improve his defensive game in order to compete at the NHL level against bigger opponents but with his extremely high hockey intelligence that shouldn't be an issue.

Ryan Murphy, Kitchener Rangers (OHL)
    Height: 5'10, Weight: 175 lbs
    Hometown: Aurora, ON
    63GP - 26G -53-79P

DY as GM: As mentioned above, Ryan Muurphy fits the hole perfectly on Columbus' backend. There is a small chance that Dougie Hamilton becomes available at the 8th position but I still think I would opt for Ryan Murphy over him if I were in Scott Howson's place. Nathan Beaulieu provides a good all-around game that the Jackets could be interested in but I have been more impressed with the play of Ryan Murphy than that of Nathan Beaulieu. Plus, Murphy's 79 points this past season is something impressive. The reward on Ryan Murphy is just too great to pass up on for Howson. Ryan Murphy was ranked 8th by the International Scouting Services in their final rankings and that is the exact position I expect him to be selected.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Eight picks are done.

Today, I am hoping to get 2 or 3 more picks done.

Dobber Sports Assistant Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post
    Eight picks are done.

Today, I am hoping to get 2 or 3 more picks done.
    DY, you are amazing - this thread is a must read.

Just thought I'd let you know.
    Gates Imbeau
    DobberHockey's HHOF - 2013 Builder's Category
    Twitter: @GM_Gates

Dobber Sports Prodigy

This has been a fantastic thread DY, thanks very much for all the work. You're a true asset to Dobberhockey and all of us poolies.
    In Dobber Veritas

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default The Boston Bruins select...

BOSTON BRUINS - 9th Overall

Team Need(s):

- Top 4 defenseman
    - Centerman (Savard, Bergeron, Krejci all have had concussions so a center would be a decent insurance plan)

Breaking it Down:

As a Maple Leaf fan, it will be quite painful when Boston steps up to the podium to make the ninth selection of the draft with the Toronto Maple Leafs' first round pick. The evil in me wants to predict a disastrous selection at ninth but as a diehard hockey fan I cannot do that to the readers. The Bruins have the luxury of competing in the Stanley Cup Finals at the chance of winning the cup and making a Top 10 draft selection. It's been a good year for the Bruins.

The Bruins have good depth throughout their lineup but Peter Chiarelli will likely be searching to add to his defensive depth - the weakest of all positions. Tomas Kaberle and Shane Hnidy are the only two defenders coming off the books and Kaberle's future with the Bruins is unknown at this point. The Bruins have a well stocked prospect cupboard with the likes of Ryan Spooner, Jordan Caron, Jared Knight, Zach Hamill and Tyler Seguin all expected to make an impact soon. The big bad bruins will be searching for a top four defenseman to add to their roster.

The Decision:

Peter Chiarelli enters the draft laughing as he prepares to make the 9th selection while there is a good chance that a Toronto Maple Leaf gets selected last in a draft (at least in the first round). If you are confused, please see Phil Kessel's all-star draft results.

"The Toronto Maple Leafs, oops, I mean Boston Bruins are proud to make Duncan Siemens the 9th selection of the 2011 NHL Entry Draft. Thanks Brian"

Why Duncan Siemens?

Duncan Siemens fits the 'Big Bad Bruins' style of play perfectly with his physical style of play and tendencie to rough it up on a nightly basis. Furtunately, Siemen possesses some offensive skills that can help any NHL franchise looking for a point here and there. The rugged Saskatoon Blade has all the qualities to become a great NHL. Simeons is a great skater who can make that important first pass. To add, Duncan has the ability to lay out opponents with highlight reel bodychecks and is no stranger to dropping the mitts either striking fear in his opponents. His offensive upside is the biggest debate among scouts but teams should be drafting Siemens mainly on his sound defensive play. The offensive numbers will be bonus.

Duncan Siemens, Saskatoon Blades (WHL)
    Shoots: Left
    Height: 6'3", Weight: 200 lbs
    Hometown: Sherwood Park, AB
    72GP - 5G -38A-43P

DY as GM:
    The Bruins will have the choice of several defensemen when it comes to their pick including Siemens, Oleksiak, Connor Murphy, Joseph Morrow and possibly Ryan Murphy and/or Dougie Hamilton (if not selected). I would be surprised to see Chiarelli deviate from selecting a defender but crazier things have happened. If the Bruins do opt to go with a forward instead, Mika Zibanejad would sure look good in the black and gold.
    Last edited by Dean Youngblood; May 31, 2011 at 2:44 PM.

Dobber Sports Wizard

I agree; they will draft a d-man unless one of the top 5 forwards happens to fall to them. Hamilton would be perfect but Siemens is not bad either.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post
    That would be great for the Bruins, but unfortunately it's not true.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Boston would love if Hamilton fell to them. Murphy as well.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    I agree; they will draft a d-man unless one of the top 5 forwards happens to fall to them. Hamilton would be perfect but Siemens is not bad either.

That would be great for the Bruins, but unfortunately it's not true.
    Your right. I was using the same format as Murphy and forgot to change Siemens' handedness. Thanks

Banned

Boston takes BPA, they don't have any elite prospects.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Could Duncan Siemens be compared to Luke Schenn? I haven't seen Siemens play but the way you describe him here and in 2011 Draft Class Hierarchy, it just reminds me of Luke Schenn. Schenn's offensive upside is probably a bit higher, though.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default The Minnesota Wild select ...

MINNESOTA WILD - 10th Overall

Team Need(s):
    - Top 6 Forward (Center, Right Wing)
    - Two-way Defenseman

Breaking it Down:

The hosts of the entry draft will certainly be looking to leave a lasting impression with the tenth overall selection. Historically, the Minnesota Wild have been atrocious at the draft day and equally as bad at developing their prospects. The Wild have had a little more success in recent years after drafting defenseman Nick Leddy (no longer with Minny) and goaltenders Darcy Kuempfer and Matt Hackett in 2008.
    General Manager Chuck Fletcher has to be most pleased with the results of his 2010 draftees as he added the electric Mikael Granlund and Denver star Jason Zucker.

The team will need to continue their recent success as the Wild are snugged up against the salary cap and need to bring in some cheap talent. Veterans Antti Miettinen, Andrew Brunette, John Madden and Chuck Kobasew headline the Wild UFA this offseason and it's unknown which players will return. It's been heavily rumoured that Brunette will not return and if so, the Wild will have to replace his consistent offensive production somehow. Minnesota should be looking to add another top six forward (preferably a centerman or right winger) but a defenseman who is capable of logging big minutes will also be welcomed with open arms in St.Paul. In addition, Minnesota has always struggled to score offensively and the lack of big bodies in their lineup is a bit concerning. Chuck Fletcher hopes to address those two particular needs and I think I have the perfect fit for him...

The Decision:

NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman will call upon Fletcher to make the Minnesota Wild's first round selection and as Fletcher walks up he quiety pronouncing his picks' name to save embarrassment,

"We would like to thank all of the Minnesota Wild fans who have joined us today. It's truly an exciting day for the Minnesota organization as we welcome the next wave of talent into our building today. The Minnesota Wild are pleased to select Mika Zibanejad of the Swedish Elite League with the 10th overall pick!"

Why Mika Zibanejad?

Mika Zibanejad (pronounced Zee-bahni-yad) almost went to the Boston Bruins at 9th overall (especially considering Savard's injury). Zibanejad is a player already with professional experience playing for Djurgarden (SEL) and brings a whole lot of passion to the rink. At 6-foot 2-inches and close to 200 pounds, Zibanejad would add size to the Wild lineup while offering some good offensive skills to go along with it. Zibanejad utilizes his size well and likes to drive to the net engaging himself physically to create scoring opportunities.

The Swedish pivot (also can play wing) has good foot speed, soft hands and an NHL-calibre shot making him an extremely well rounded scoring forward. Zibanejad is the top-ranked European forward of this draft and his intangibles will bring personality to a franchise desperate to excite its fanbase. If Zibanejad puts a Minnesota Wild jersey on come June 24th, it won't take very long before he becomes a fan favourite in St. Paul.

Mika Zibanejad, Djurgarden (SEL)
    Position: Center/Winger
    Height: 6'2", Weight: 192lbs
    Hometown: Huddinge, SWE
    26GP - 5G -4A-9P

DY as GM: Dean Youngblood fully endorses Zibanejad as the Minnesota Wild's first round selection. Mika addresses every need for the Minnesota Wild as he can play both center and wing, owns good size and most importantly is a hard worker witha great personality. Plus, Zibanejad is signed until 2013 with Djurgarden leaving him to develop overseas and far away from the awful Wild development program (haha Kidding.....but, not really).

I would also recommend that Chuck Fletcher strongly consider Portland's Sven Bartschi and Assat's Joel Armia. Bartschi lacks size but the scoring punch is definitely there. Armia's biggest fault is consistency but he has star potential and is a big bodied winger. In the end, Zibanejad would be the right choice.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    Could Duncan Siemens be compared to Luke Schenn? I haven't seen Siemens play but the way you describe him here and in 2011 Draft Class Hierarchy, it just reminds me of Luke Schenn. Schenn's offensive upside is probably a bit higher, though.
    Siemens plays with more of an edge and probably projects to be more offensive than Schenn.

The comparison isn't too far off but Siemens is definitely nastier than Schenn. Both players play the physical game very well though.