Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12

Thread: DY's 2011 NHL Entry Mock Draft

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Yeah my bad I meant Chicago's own pick, I thought it was 43...it is 48.
    I used Matt Bugg's draft order from the Guide and he had some errors in draft order which I just corrected. Thanks Evan

Did you know it's really difficult to find a list of the correct/current draft order? haha

Banned

Wikipedia has it down pat I think, except for the Ottawa pick frmo the Campoli trade. I guess because Chicago hasn't stated which pick they are giving up (they have until Wednesday night to decide).

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Wikipedia has it down pat I think, except for the Ottawa pick frmo the Campoli trade. I guess because Chicago hasn't stated which pick they are giving up (they have until Wednesday night to decide).
    Wikipedia is what I ended up using (for better or worse) haha.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Picks 46th, 47th, 48th, 49th, and 50th

ST.LOUIS BLUES - 46th Overall
    Mario Lucia (C/LW)
    (Wayzata, HS-MN)
    6-2, 183 lbs
    24 GP - 24G - 22A - 46P - 14 PIM

The Minnesota teenager is considered the top ranked high school player in this draft and there's a good chance that Lucia doesn't make it out of the first round or even this far. Lucia is a big strong center who skates phenomenally well. Lucia scored at will this past season for Wayzata HS with over a goal per game and he should continue to develop offensively once his frame fills out where he can better utilize his size.

FLORIDA PANTHERS - 47th Overall
    Nick Shore (C)
    Denver (WCHA)
    6-0, 195 lbs
    28 GP - 7G - 11A - 18P - 14 PIM

Shore entered this season with high expectations and many people believed he would contend to be a first-round selection. The strong two-way center would be joining older brother Drew if Florida selected him but the Panthers could be reaching to take him at 47th. However, the stocky Shore brings some good offensive skill sets with good speed, creativity and great hockey IQ. After missing some time due to injury and struggling to meet expectations set on him, Shore will be a player who will slide further than most projected.

OTTAWA SENATORS - 48th Overall
    Seth Ambroz (RW)
    Omaha (USHL)
    6-2, 211 lbs
    56 GP - 24G - 22A - 46P - 89 PIM

I am not sure why, but I keep selecting quality players for the Ottawa Senators. The Senators have enough picks in the second (3) to make a few gambles and if (big if) Ambroz falls to them at 48th he would be hard to pass over. Once touted as a high first round pick, Ambroz has seen his draft stock fall after scouts scene little improvement in his game - specifically his skating. Ambroz represents a boom or bust player but he does own soft hands, a quick release and thrives playing the physical game with his 6-foot-2 frame. Ambroz is a man child who can score but when a team takes a gamble on his poor skating is still unknown.

LOS ANGELES KINGS - 49th Overall
    Nikita Kucherov (RW)
    CSKA2 (Russia-JR)
    5-10, 163 lbs
    41 GP - 27G - 31A - 58P - 81PIM

The Under-18 standout for Russia, has rocketed up the rankings after his record setting tournament scoring 21 points in just 7 games. Kucherov is a dynamic winger who oozes offensive skills and the Kings aren't shy about drafting Russians either. The small quick skating Russian had a strong season in Russia's junior league but has been questioned because he often looks disinterested and takes undisciplined penalties. Of course, teams will likely be scared of the "KHL factor" but there's little doubt that Kucherov has first round talent.

NEW YORK ISLANDERS - 50th Overall
    Adam Clendening (D)
    Boston University (H-East)
    5-11, 190 lbs
    36 GP - 5 G - 18 A - 23 P - 80 PIM

The undersized defenseman would be ranked higher (45th among North American skaters) if he were a few more inches taller. Playing for Boston University, Clendening impressed scouts with his tremedous ability to distribute the puck and is one of the better puck-moving defencemen in this draft class. Clendening has good upside but will need to work on his foot speed and mobility to thrive in the NHL as a smaller defenseman.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Picks 51st, 52nd, 53rd, 54th and 55th

PHOENIX COYOTES - 51st Overall
    Christopher Gibson (G)
    Chicoutimi (QMJHL)
    6-0, 193 lbs
    37 GP - 2.42 GAA - .920 SV% - 4 SO

The Coyotes won't be keeping starting goaltender Bryzgalov around after he wanted too much coin so expect Phoenix to use one of their top picks on a franchise goaltender. Chris Gibson has an american name but don't let that fool you as he hails from Finland - a country that is known as a goaltending factory. Gibson has good size and covers the net well which complement his aggressive goaltending style. Gibson is ranked as the second best netminder in the draft and teams will surely be attractive to his lightning quick reflexes.

NASHVILLE PREDATORS - 52nd Overall
    Lucas Lessio (LW)
    Oshawa (OHL)
    6-1, 197 lbs
    66 GP - 27G - 27A - 54P - 66 PIM

Lessio's calling is his hard-working approach to the game as he offers a strong two-way game with decent offensive upside. Doesn't that sound like Nashville? Scouts have been disappointed with Lessio at times as he often becomes frustrated too easily and that can throw him off of his game. Lessio owns good size and is a strong skater but he won't ever be a player that fills up the score sheet. Teams will draft Lucas based on his strong two-way game and capability of holding his own in the dirty areas.

ANAHEIM DUCKS - 53rd Overall
    Matt Nieto (LW)
    Boston University (H-East)
    5-11, 193 lbs
    36 GP - 8 G - 13A - 21P - 16 PIM

Anaheim wouldn't mind adding another California kid to their lineup. Nieto grew up playing alongside 2010 1st Round Ducks' pick Emerson Etem so there could be some campaign action for Nieto from within the Ducks organization come day two of the draft. Matt Nieto is an undersized winger who is likely one of the quickest skaters in the draft. Lightning speed, dangerous hands and a quick release make Nieto an offensive weapon that teams will be eager to select. It's unlikely that Nieto drops to the Ducks at 53 but if he does GM Bob Murray should be thrilled.

PITTSBURGH PENGUINS - 54th Overall
    Joseph Lebate (C)
    Holy Angels (MN-HS)
    6-4, 180 lbs
    25 GP - 27 G - 22 A - 49 P - 42 PIM

The Minnesota high schooler has made quite the name for himself as a goal scorer entering his draft year. At 6-foot-4-inches, Labate owns great size and with his natural goal scoring abilities a team could get a steal with him late in the second round. Labate plays with the intensity that scouts love and when he adds some bulk to his frame the lanky pivot could become an absolute steal.

DETROIT RED WINGS - 55th Overall
    Joachim Nermark (C)
    Linkoping Jr (SWE -Jr)
    6-1, 187 lbs
    37GP - 8G - 18A - 26P - 16 PIM

Nerward has all the tools to become a solid second line center but he will need to quiet all of the doubters after struggling through the past World Junior Championships and Under-18s in Germany. Nermark had an awesome Ivan Hlinka Tournament where he impressed scouts with his quick release, playmaking abilities and good skating. The versatile Swede has all of the skills to become an NHLer but a team will need to be patient with this raw centerman. No better place that Hockeytown for patience.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

This list continues to be really great Dean!
    We had finished our 6-round prospect draft and I was able to snag a bunch of your top 40.

8th - CLB - Ryan Murphy (Kitchener Rangers, OHL) My 1st rounder.
    24th- DET - Oscar Klefbom (Farjestad, SEL) My 4th rounder.
    29th- TOR* - Brett Ritchie (Sarnia Sting, OHL) My 5th rounder.
    32nd - STL - Alexander Khokhlachev (Windsor Spitfires, OHL) My 2nd rounder.
    35th - OTT - Stefan Noesen (Plymouth Whalers, OHL) My 3rd rounder.

(I took TJ Tynan with my 6th rounder. It will be interesting to see what information you come across for him. My only source on him was a hockeyprospectus list.)
    http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/arti...?articleid=955

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default The Final Picks - 56th, 57th, 58th, 59th and 60th

PHOENIX COYOTES - 56th Overall
    Reid Boucher (C)
    US U-18 (USHL)
    5-10, 192 lbs
    49 GP - 24G - 19A - 43P - 25 PIM

The Michigan native was once of the more impressive players to me at the Under-18 Tournament in Germany. Boucher is ranked 113th among North American skaters (4th round) but I like him to rise as a late 2nd or early 3rd. The 5-foot-10-inch center has a rare ability to score goals and with his late birthday still has room to grow. Boucher is a boom or bust type of player and with several picks in the second round, the Coyotes could take a risk.

CALGARY FLAMES - 57th Overall
    Michael St. Croix (C)
    Edmonton (WHL)
    5-11, 176 lbs
    68 GP - 27G - 48A - 75P - 48 PIM

With Michael St. Croix a team will get a player who is responsible in all three zones and has the ability to chip in offensively too. St. Croix is a playmaker first and shooter second but he does seem to have a knack for being in the right spot at the right time. The native of Winnipeg has a good quick shot and puck handling skills to create opportunities for himself or teammates. The Flames would be wise to select a player of St. Croix's ability and hope that he has a chance of filling the big void down the middle.

TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING - 58th Overall
    Myles Bell (D)
    Regina (WHL)
    6-0, 214 lbs
    68 GP - 14G - 31A - 45P - 86 PIM

By now, we are all aware of Myles Bell's off-ice issues with the impaired driving causing death charges but if a team does their due diligence then this pick could prove worthy. Matt Bugg projects Tampa to take a flier on Myles Bell and I fully agree with him. Obviously, there is a strong possibility that Bell's off-ice issues scare teams away and he drops late into the draft but Steve Yzerman might be willing to take on a project. The Lightning have a history of drafting prospects from the WHL and Bell certainly has good offensive instincts. Myles likes to rush the puck and is very effective on the powerplay which could be appealing to the Lightning organization. Bell is the biggest question mark entering the draft.

SAN JOSE SHARKS - 59th Overall
    Miikka Salomaki (RW)
    Karpat (SM Liiga)
    5-11, 198 lbs
    40GP - 4G - 6A - 10P - 53 PIM

Salomaki is an interesting player as he brings a lot of energy to his game and that could be a trait that appeals to a team picking in the second round. Ranked seventh among European skaters, Salomaki plays an aggressive in-your-face type of game with the ability to block shots, kill penalties and whatever else it takes to win. He played for Karpat in Finland's top league and scouts say that he didn't look out of place. If teams are looking for a player with offensive upside then they should pass on Salomaki as it's limited but he does bring offer intangibles that play an important part in winning championships.

VANCOUVER CANUCKS - 60th Overall
    Joel Edmundson (D)
    Moose Jaw (WHL)
    6-4, 191 lbs
    71 GP - 2 G - 18A - 20P - 95 PIM

Ranked 33rd among North American skaters, the large and rangy defender has seen his draft stock sore after making the jump from Midget into the rough and tough WHL. Edmundson projects to be a defensive defender at the next level and has been compared to Ranger 2010 first round pick Dylan McIIrath in the way that he plays. In his rookie WHL season, Edmundson showed that he can skate well enough, make a good first pass and most importantly shut down and intimidate the opposition's best player. Teams will be drawn to Edmundson's natural size and in-your-face style of play.

OTTAWA SENATORS - 61st Overall
    William Karlsson (C)
    Vasteras Jr (SWE-Jr)
    6-0, 185 lbs
    38GP - 20G - 34A - 54P - 45 PIM

The luxury of having a boat-load of picks is always nice and Ottawa has the priviledge to go off the board with one or two of them. I can almost gaurantee that one of Ottawa's three second round picks will be a Swede and why not add a third "Karlsson" to their depth chart? William is a good skater with high hockey sense and can be especially shifty when on the attack. After posting an impressive 54 points in the Swedish junior division he was called up to play with the senior club Allsvenskan where he notched four points in 14 games. Karlsson has tremendous compete level and was one of Sweden's best players at the World Under-18 tournament en route to a silver medal and five points in six games.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Thanks for Following Folks

The Ottawa Senators' 61st pick wraps up the second round of my Mock Draft and I am thankful for all of the comments and questions from those who followed along.

With the number of fantastic prospects and similar players in this year's draft I often found it difficult choosing one player over another. If you look closely, you will find a few players who I am fond of and others that I don't have much belief in.

To keep things fun, I attempted to include some riskier selections (see Ritchie in the first and Myles Bell and Reid Boucher in the 2nd). I don't expect to be 100% (or even %10) accurate with my picks but I wanted to have fun with the process as I went along.

After sixty-one picks there are still some fantastic prospects remaining so if you have any questions about any other prospects then feel free to ask and I will do my best to chime in with any information I have.

I will be posting the selections on my website www.thescoutingbureau.wordpress.com for an easier read so check it out there if you want the player information without all of the commentary.

Thanks for Following Folks!

Banned

Don't really like Ambroz and I think he will fall harder than that, but Ryan Strome, Nicklas Jensen, Stefan Noesen, Seth Ambroz, and William Karlsson is a nice haul of prospects for Ottawa.

Nice work Dean. I will publish one soon (without so much analysis lol, just a list) and try to beat you!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Don't forget to re-visit this mock draft as it the real NHL gets underway this evening.

You can also view a Trio of MOck Drafts featuring forum members dmvincent and Big_Ev, plus myself

As I have stated, I wish I could make a few changes to my mock but at the end of the day the draft is so unpredicatable.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Yep, this one should be interesting to say the least.

Thanks for the awesome mock Dean.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I felt the need to make a few changes to my mock....

Revised from my previous mock

1. EDM - Nugent-Hopkins
    2. COL - Huberdeau (previously Landeskog)
    3. FLA - Landeskog (previously Huberdeau)
    4. NJD - Larsson (It kills me having him fall this far. He could go #2 and huberdeau/Landeskog slide down one spot)
    5. NYI - Strome (prev. Couturier)
    6. OTT - Zibanejad (I think Couturier is the player they dislike) (previously Strome)
    7. WIN - Couturier (prev. Hamilton)
    8. PHI - Hamilton (prev. Murphy)
    9. BOS - Murphy (prev. Siemens)
    10. MIN - McNeil (prev. Siemens)
    11. COL - Bartschi
    12. CAR - Beaulieu
    13. CGY - Armia (prev. McNeil)
    14. DAL - Brodin (Prev. Armia)
    15. NYR - Grimaldi (prev. Scheifele)
    16. BUF - Scheifele (prev. Jenner)
    17. MON - Saad (prev. Oleksiak)
    18. CHI - Oleksiak (prev. Phillips)
    19. EDM - Morrow
    20. PHX - Puempel
    21. OTT - Jensen
    22. ANA - Siemens (prev. Brodin)
    23. PIT - Saad
    24. DET - Klefbom
    25. TOR - JT Miller
    26. WSH - Namestnikov
    27. TBL - Rattie (prev. Grimaldi)
    28. SJS - Jenner (prev. Rattie)
    29. VAN - Sproul (prev. Jurco)
    30. TOR - Phillips (prev. Ritchie)

I feel more comfotable with this mock with some of the rumblings I have heard in recent weeks. Jurco drops out of first round. Phillips, Jenner and Siemens slide the furthest and Brodin, McNeil and Zibanejad jump up.

Just couldn't let Oleksiak slide one more spot eh? Haha. I'm happy with any of Morrow/Beaulieu/Oleksiak, etc.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I think you will like Morrow better to be quite honest

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post
    I think you will like Morrow better to be quite honest
    Prefer Beaulieu regardless

So question - Huberdeau - FLA vs COL? How does this affect his fantasy value? At first I was against him in FLA but he'd develop into their primary scoring option.