Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: [OHL Ramblings] 2011 Off-Season Thread

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quick list of all the OHL players attending NHL Camps in the upcoming week.

Of the 156 OHL Players, 117 were selected in the NHL Entry Draft while 39 are free agent invites. 49 of the players attending camps have been signed to NHL entry-level contracts.

While each of the 20 OHL member clubs sent at least five players to an NHL Training Camp, the Plymouth Whalers and Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds lead the way with 11 players each, followed by the Ottawa 67’s and Saginaw Spirit who each sent and 10 players to various NHL camps.

The Toronto Maple Leafs lead all NHL clubs with 14 OHL players attending their camp, followed by the Boston Bruins, Carolina Hurricanes, and San Jose Sharks who each have eight OHL players. The Calgary Flames are the only NHL team without an OHL player attending their camp.

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Thoughts on Eckblad

I have #1 pick overall in a keeper pool where we have 12-man farm teams. My team won't compete this coming season because of my lack of depth of current NHL talent, but I've been stockpiling blue-chip prospects like Couturier, Ryan Murray, Tomas Jurco, Matt Dumba etc. Does Eckblad have that potential to be that very special kind of player?
    Crousetown Crushers
    SCSHL
    www.keeperpool.com
    World's Greatest Keeper Hockey Pool

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by thesurfcat View Post
    I have #1 pick overall in a keeper pool where we have 12-man farm teams. My team won't compete this coming season because of my lack of depth of current NHL talent, but I've been stockpiling blue-chip prospects like Couturier, Ryan Murray, Tomas Jurco, Matt Dumba etc. Does Eckblad have that potential to be that very special kind of player?
    IMO, I wouldn't pick Ekblad. There will be much better players available than him. From the sounds of it, Ekblad has shown that he is very very RAW and I am not so sure that he has the upside that you want in fantasy hockey. He's years away from becoming an NHL draft pick too.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

For those of you who missed my tweet.

Alex Galchenyuk caught a rut in the ice on Friday night vs. Windsor and went crashing into the post smashing his knee. Apparently, the Sting athletic therapist said that Galchenyuk "tweaked his MCL" but he wasn't feeling any pain. The Sarnia Sting held Gally out for the remainder of the game and their final pre-season game too. It would be a huge blow if a top 2012 prospect like Galchenyuk missed any serious time.

In Galchenyuk's absence, Yakupov notched 3 assists in that Friday night game and then singlehandedly won the re-match the following night by scoring 4 goals and an assist (5 points) in their 6-1 win.

I normally don't make such bold statements so far in advanced but I would seriously be stunned if Nail Yakupov wasn't the unanimous 1st overall choice for next summers NHL Entry Draft. In my opinion, Yakupov is on a path to become the best 1st overall pick since Crosby (yes, even ahead of Stamkos).

Another player who is playing extremely well throughout pre-season and training camp is the acquisition of Charles Sarault from the Kingston Frontenac. He has been the Sting's best player in most games/scrimmages I have watched. If Galchenyuk misses any notable time then I fully expect Chuck to line up in the middle of Yakky and Boucher and he could be in for a HUGE year (he can create his own chances even if he's not playing with elite talent too). Sarault ('92) is undrafted but I could definitely see him earning a pro contract after this season. He's a gamer.

I watched top 2012 prospect Nick Ebert on Friday night too and he's a legit talent. The defenseman doesn't do anything too flashy but he plays a very cerebral game and makes the right decisions. I can't base too much on one game but he's got first round talent but this year will go a long ways in determining where he gets picked (top 10, top 20, etc.)

Dobber Sports Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post
    IMO, I wouldn't pick Ekblad. There will be much better players available than him. From the sounds of it, Ekblad has shown that he is very very RAW and I am not so sure that he has the upside that you want in fantasy hockey. He's years away from becoming an NHL draft pick too.
    Don't count on the fact that there are much better players than him. Someone in my pool drafted Yakupov three years ago. I just missed out and wanted Galchenyuk two years ago. We took Nathan MacKinnon when he was 12 years old, same with Crosby. Tavares was taken the year BEFORE he was granted his special exemption. We are perhaps the deepest, most well scouted keeperpool in the world! Check us out at www.keeperpool.com.

I'm just looking for an opinion on Eckblad, because if I don't take him at #1, I'll guarantee he's gone when it comes back around again.
    Crousetown Crushers
    SCSHL
    www.keeperpool.com

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Don't count on the fact that there are much better players than him. Someone in my pool drafted Yakupov three years ago. I just missed out and wanted Galchenyuk two years ago. We took Nathan MacKinnon when he was 12 years old, same with Crosby. Tavares was taken the year BEFORE he was granted his special exemption. We are perhaps the deepest, most well scouted keeperpool in the world! Check us out at www.keeperpool.com.

I'm just looking for an opinion on Eckblad, because if I don't take him at #1, I'll guarantee he's gone when it comes back around again.

I still think there's got to be better players available to select. I would take Anthony DeAngelo (sarnia's young, 15, offensive defenseman that they recruited from Cedar Rapids). He's a kid that has more offensive upside than Aaron Ekblad.

There have to be some better options available in the CHL, NCAA, etc. that would be a better fantasy investment than Ekblad. At this point in time, Ekblad's name is the only thing that carries value.

Dobber Sports Rookie

DeAngelo turns 19 in October, so I hope you meant to type 18!

Thanks for the info. Did you check us out? We are in our 15th season and boast an incredible amount of hockey knowledge (not much from me unfortunately), although I did draft Stamkos out of Junior.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post
    I still think there's got to be better players available to select. I would take Anthony DeAngelo (sarnia's young, 15, offensive defenseman that they recruited from Cedar Rapids). He's a kid that has more offensive upside than Aaron Ekblad.

There have to be some better options available in the CHL, NCAA, etc. that would be a better fantasy investment than Ekblad. At this point in time, Ekblad's name is the only thing that carries value.
    Crousetown Crushers
    SCSHL
    www.keeperpool.com

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

DeAngelo turns 19 in October, so I hope you meant to type 18!

Thanks for the info. Did you check us out? We are in our 15th season and boast an incredible amount of hockey knowledge (not much from me unfortunately), although I did draft Stamkos out of Junior.
    No he doesn't. DeAngelo is only 15 right now. Turns 16 next month. The kid is going to be good

http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=130876

He was barely even eligible for this year's OHL Priority Draft

Dobber Sports Rookie

http://www.sarniasting.com/roster/show/id/9207

That was my source. Somebody there is wrong then! Thought they made a big fuss that they pried this kid away from Boston University?

Anyway, multiple sources say 1995, so thanks for the correction.
    Crousetown Crushers
    SCSHL
    www.keeperpool.com

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

look for the this "off season" thread to cease over the next few days.

The OHL Season kicks off tonight with the mighty Plymouth Whalers heading to the OHL Champions' Owen Sound Attack for a 7pm start.

I will return to a ramblings format similar to last year where they are released weekly and information/discussion added as the week unfolds.

If you live close to an OHL Club, get out and watch the team play - it really is fantastic hockey and can often be better than NHL action.