Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Arizona Coyotes

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Gormley Impresses at Camp

Gormley Stands Out on Day 2 of Prospect Camp

Friday, 07.08.2011 / 8:18 PM / Features By Anthony Perez

GLENDALE -- Defenseman Brandon Gormley arrived for his second Prospect Development Camp as one of the top young players within the Coyotes’ system.

And after an impressive season in 2010-11, the No. 13 overall pick at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft is eager to use this camp to fine-tune his game for the team's regular training camp in September.

“You’ve got to be able to compete here to eventually come to camp (in September) and be able to compete with those guys,” Gormley said after Friday’s workout. “…It’s a whole new level when the men step on the ice there, the men who have played in the NHL for 10 or 15 years, so you’ve got to compete and use a strong work ethic.”

In 47 games last season for the Moncton Wildcats of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, Gormley notched 13 goals and 35 assists. His play earned him a spot on Team Canada’s roster for the World Junior Championship, but an injury a few weeks before the event kept him out of the tournament.

Once his junior season was complete, the Coyotes assigned Gormley to their top affiliate in the American Hockey League. He played four games for San Antonio and scored a goal. And now the 19-year-old native of Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island is looking to show the Coyotes that his game has progressed and he’s ready to take the next step in the process of becoming an NHL player.

Coyotes Assistant General Manager Brad Treliving says that he and the organization’s scouting staff monitor the progress of all their prospects throughout the season and they can tell that Gormley’s game has evolved in the past year.

“As with all the players here in their second go-round (at Prospect Camp), he’s more mature,” Treliving said. “There’s been more physical development, but he’s such a mature kid and a poised kid. I think he hasn’t disappointed.”

Newly appointed Development Coach Dave King is working with the players on the ice during Development Camp and he thinks Gormley’s skills have stood out, even though he missed the first day of on-ice workouts because his gear did not arrive on time.

“It’s his first day on the ice and it looks like it’s about his 20th or 30th day on the ice,” King said. “He’s real smooth; he’s a real composed player. This is a smart player. He really understands the game and it looks like he’s going to have a great year this year.”

Treliving says that Gormley will be given all the time he needs to develop and that there’s no reason to push him to the big club.

“Whenever he’s ready, whether it be this fall, next fall, or beyond, that’s when he’s going to play,” Treliving said. “But we’re real confident that we’ve got a really good player in Brandon.”
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dear Mr. Fantasy play us a tune
    Something to make us all happy
    Do anything, take us out of this gloom
    Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy~ Traffic

Dobber Sports Monster

Interesting.

Our next piece of good news is that the Coyotes announced that they are in the Top 5 of the entire NHL for new season tickets sold this offseason. Now, this is good news, but it comes with a grain of salt. Many other NHL teams have already sold their full allotment of season tickets and actually use a waiting list before they sell "new" tickets. So, this announcement doesn't say that the Coyotes really will be avoiding the attendance woes that have plagued the team since they declared bankruptcy. But at the same time, that they can be increasing season ticket sales after more ownership issues have been presented and absolutely zero marketing, then that says a lot about the fanbase in general, and its ability to thrive if given an opportunity with a committed ownership group, in my opinion.

From this link

http://www.fiveforhowling.com/2011/7...ne-broadcaster

Dobber Sports Stud

Welcome to sunny Phoenix. We will experience a high of 108F/42C today. From the sounds of it, a lot of you are getting to see how that feels all over the US & Canada today!

I must apologize for my absence. So I will update a few things that have happened since my last post.

Firstly here is a list of the Coyotes 2011 draftees. I will post a short profile on a few of these players in separate posts.

Rnd Pick Overall Player Pos Country Ht Wt

1 20 20 Connor Murphy D USA 6' 3" 190
    2 21 51 Alexander Ruuttu C USA 6' 0" 171
    2 26 56 Lucas Lessio LW CAN 6' 1" 200
    3 23 84 Harrison Ruopp D CAN 6' 2" 198
    4 20 111 Kale Kessy LW CAN 6' 3" 184
    5 20 141 Darian Dziurzynski LW CAN 6' 1" 208
    6 4 155 Andrew Fritsch RW CAN 6' 0" 187
    7 15 196 Zac Larraza LW USA 6' 2" 194

Recent Transactions-

Lauri Korpikoski has agreed to a two-year contract extension with the Phoenix Coyotes.

Matt Beaudoin has signed a one-year, two-way contract with the Phoenix Coyotes. No fantasy value here.

Marc-Antoine Pouliot has agreed to a one-year, two-way deal with the Phoenix Coyotes.

Phoenix acquired Pouliot from the Tampa Bay Lightning for the 201st overall pick in the 2011 NHL entry draft. He scored 25 goals and registered 47 assists in 69 AHL contests last season.

Kyle Chipchura has inked a one-year, two-way contract with the Phoenix Coyotes.

Chipchura became an unrestricted free agent after the Anaheim Ducks decided against giving him a qualifying offer. He had two points and 32 penalty minutes in 40 games with Anaheim in 2010-11.

Brett MacLean has agreed to a one-year, two-way contract with the Phoenix Coyotes.

He was a good prospect in the Phoenix organization last season with 23 goals and 50 points in 51 games and two goals and an assist in 13 games with the Coyotes. He's worth keeping an eye on during training camp, but we wouldn't be surprised if he starts the season in the minors.

John Anderson has inked a multi-year contract with the Phoenix Coyotes to serve as an assistant coach.

Anderson previously served as the head coach of the AHL Chicago Wolves and the Atlanta Thrashers. He had a 506-283-99 record with the Wolves and 70-75-19 record in Atlanta.

Goaltender Mike Smith is very excited at the opportunity he'll have to be the number one netminder in Phoenix.

Smith was expected to be the number one netminder in Tampa last season until the team first acquired Dan Ellis in the offseason and later picked up veteran Dwayne Roloson during the year, thereby pushing Smith to the minor leagues. "Mad is a nice way to put it," said Smith when describing how he felt about last year's chain of events. "Obviously, feeling like you can be an NHL goaltender and getting sent to the minors and having to play some games down there, it was a frustrating time." Smith has a great opportunity to become a starting goaltender once again as he'll battle with Jason LaBarbera for the role in training camp.

Source: Arizona Republic/Phoenix Gazette
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Administrator

Am I wrong to be concerned about the Smith/Labarbera duo? I don't think either goalie has ever had success for any real stretch of time. This is a team that relies so much on its goaltending.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Phoenix goaltending

Concerned- yes, I share your concern. But two things that could lessen our concern might be -

1. Tippett's defensive style ( plus Tippett knows Smith from their days in Dallas ). I think Tippett will try to insulate Smith to help him succeed. Add to that the fact that Sean Burke is the goaltending coach who may help him take that next step.

2. Smith has something to prove. What happened in Tampa had to have been a shot to Smith's ego & I think he will come to camp with a chip on his shoulder, determined to prove he can be a starter. He is big, more mature now & has to have learned from his setbacks, including past injuries. The fact that Labarbera is there to push him & jump in at times when needed is a good thing. Smith also realizes that he only has a 2-year contract, so that is his window of opportunity to prove he can be an NHL starter.

I also think that Smith's puck moving skills bring a new dimension to the Coyotes & if he can have some early suggest he may be okay.

That being said I am concerned.
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Excelsior View Post
    Concerned- yes, I share your concern. But two things that could lessen our concern might be -

1. Tippett's defensive style ( plus Tippett knows Smith from their days in Dallas ). I think Tippett will try to insulate Smith to help him succeed. Add to that the fact that Sean Burke is the goaltending coach who may help him take that next step.

2. Smith has something to prove. What happened in Tampa had to have been a shot to Smith's ego & I think he will come to camp with a chip on his shoulder, determined to prove he can be a starter. He is big, more mature now & has to have learned from his setbacks, including past injuries. The fact that Labarbera is there to push him & jump in at times when needed is a good thing. Smith also realizes that he only has a 2-year contract, so that is his window of opportunity to prove he can be an NHL starter.

I also think that Smith's puck moving skills bring a new dimension to the Coyotes & if he can have some early suggest he may be okay.

That being said I am concerned.
    Those are valid points and I agree that those points will lead to "good" results. But will it be enough to secure another playoff spot? It's worth noting that the 9th place team (Dallas) finished just 4 points back so there is not a lot of room for error.

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Getting to Know You- Connor Murphy

Connor Murphy- Phoenix's first pick in the 2011 entry draft, 20th overall

Date of Birth: March 26, 1993
    Place of Birth: Dublin, Ohio
    Ht: 6-3 Wt: 185
    Shoots: Right
    Position: Defenseman
    US National Development Team

In a few years, Connor Murphy might be regarded as one of the better sleeper picks in the 2011 draft.

Murphy, who was selected by the Coyotes in the first round (20th overall) Friday, is a big, rangy defenseman who did not garner much attention last season because of a back injury, but he bounced back with a superb effort in the Under-18 World Championships.

"It's amazing," said Murphy, a 6-foot-3 defenseman. "It's been a major goal of mine for years to be drafted in the NHL. I visited Phoenix and couldn't be any more happier than to be a part of this organization now."

Murphy appeared in only 14 games with the U.S. national team because of the injury but bounced back to lead U.S. defensemen with three goals and a plus-seven rating in six games in the tournament. He scored two goals, including the winner in overtime in the gold-medal contest against Sweden and was named Player of the Game.

"That (injury) is something that's not going to affect me in the future," he said. "I gave the teams all the information they needed."

Coyotes General Manager Don Maloney believes Murphy slipped under the radar because of his back problems, adding team doctors have examined him, and the organization is "comfortable where he's at."

The Coyotes, with only the one pick in Round 1, were targeting a center, but Maloney decided to alter the plans when Murphy was available.

"He has excellent hockey IQ," he said. "He comes from a hockey family. He's a big right-handed shooting mobile defenseman."

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyo...#ixzz1SqaSctWq

Also good reads on the Coyotes first pick-

http://thehockeywriters.com/the-next...moving-murphy/

and

http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospect....htm?dpid=9469
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dobber Sports Monster

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2011/7/2...tes-versus-nbc

Strader to NBC/ Versus full time.

Dobber Sports Stud

Default CBS Sports interview with Mike Smith

Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Connor Murphy signed

Connor Murphy has signed an entry-level contract with the Phoenix Coyotes.

The Coyotes selected Murphy with the 20th overall pick in the 2011 NHL entry draft. He missed time in 2010-11 due to injuries and isn't expected to make the Coyotes' opening game roster.

Source: Coyotes.nhl.com
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dobber Sports Wizard

Excelsior, what's the scoop on Turris' new contract? Any info leaked about length and money?
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Administrator

Connor Murphy has signed an entry-level contract with the Phoenix Coyotes.

The Coyotes selected Murphy with the 20th overall pick in the 2011 NHL entry draft. He missed time in 2010-11 due to injuries and isn't expected to make the Coyotes' opening game roster.

Source: Coyotes.nhl.com
    Good to see the contract out of the way as it can be a bit of a problem when negotiations are involved. But with the time he's missed I think he'll be in junior 2 more years. No reason to rush him and the EL contract will be pushed back until he turns pro.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    Excelsior, what's the scoop on Turris' new contract? Any info leaked about length and money?
    Didn't know he had signed. Last I heard Turris & Boedker we still in negotiations, although I did hear they expect them to get 2-3 years at something like 1.25 per.
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dobber Sports Wizard

Didn't know he had signed. Last I heard Turris & Boedker we still in negotiations, although I did hear they expect them to get 2-3 years at something like 1.25 per.
    He hasn't. I guess my question was worded in such a way that it gave the impression he has signed. Last I heard, both he and Beodker are expected to be signed before training camp but didn't hear about terms of contract. 1.25 per would be an excellent deal IMO.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    He hasn't. I guess my question was worded in such a way that it gave the impression he has signed. Last I heard, both he and Beodker are expected to be signed before training camp but didn't hear about terms of contract. 1.25 per would be an excellent deal IMO.
    I agree. Some people think the 'Yotes' would be smart to sign them to short term deals to see if they can take their game to the next level.
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher