Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Arizona Coyotes

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Playfair hired as assistant coach

Jim Playfair will serve as the Coyotes' assistant coach.

Although the exact terms of Playfair's contract were not disclosed, it is a multi-year deal. "We are very pleased to welcome Jim to the Coyotes organization," said Coyotes GM Don Maloney. "Jim is a tremendous coach with a wealth of experience and I am confident that he will be a great addition to our coaching staff." Playfair was the Calgary Flames head coach in 2006-07 and he served as an assistant coach for the Flames from 2009 until 2011.
    Jun. 13 - 12:53 p.m. ET

Source: Coyotes.nhl.com
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dear Mr. Fantasy play us a tune
    Something to make us all happy
    Do anything, take us out of this gloom
    Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy~ Traffic

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Jim Playfair

Today's forecast- mostly sunny with a high of 102F/38C with 12% humidity.

Getting To Know You

Jim Playfair has been hired to replace Ulf Samuelsson, who resigned earlier this year to take head coaching position in the Swedish Elite League

Asked to describe his coaching style, Playfair said: “I believe, first and foremost, that I’m a teacher. I think I have the ability to communicate with the players and to help individuals improve. I think my style of coaching is one where I try to maximize the best of each player’s individual ability while making sure they play a consistent team game.”

He added: “I think that players want to win and players want to be challenged and they want to know that they’re held accountable. Those are the areas that I believe are important.”

Adrian Aucoin fully endorsed this decision.

Adrian Aucoin had no hesitation putting in a plug.

"My two years in Calgary, I learned more than pretty much anyplace else I've played,'' praised the Phoenix Coyotes' lavishly-experienced defenceman (at 37, the desert being his seventh NHL stop).

"I've been on teams with a lot of good coaches who knew the game very well, but Jimmy was . . . a lot more specific without going overboard, I guess you'd say.

"So many coaches try to micromanage everything. Jimmy'd work on bits and pieces, positioning, where to be, what to do, but the message was clear, concise. Nothing overbearing. It made the game a lot easier for me and all the D-men in Calgary. He related to the veterans well and really accelerated the development of younger guys like Regehr and Giordano.

Full article-

http://www.canada.com/sports/Playfai...441/story.html
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Excelsior View Post
    "I've been on teams with a lot of good coaches who knew the game very well, but Jimmy was . . . a lot more specific without going overboard, I guess you'd say.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrkR7ih6f3M

I know this has probably been done to death but I just couldn't resist. What I find just as funny is the player on the bench who's trying not to laugh.

Dobber Sports Stud

+1 Too funny. I had totally forgot about that. Should make for an interesting season. I'm trying to picture the look on Tippett's face if he did that in Phoenix.

Gotta say the man has passion though.
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dobber Sports Padawan

Love this thread Excelsior. +1

Thanks for the heads up on the players.

I own both OEL and MacLean (just picked him up) and I was wondering what your thoughts were on BM. I already read your projections for OEL. TY.

Does MacLean make the team? As it stands right now what would be your lines for opening day? I understand it's hard with all the UFA but any guess would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.
    20 team keeper: 20 players. no farm.
    Goals=2 pts---Assists=1 pt-----DG=3-----Wins=3.5-----SO=4

G: Sorokin
    D: Bouchard....Letang....Heiskanen....Perunovich....F ox....Zellweger....Toews

F: Eichel....Caufield.......J Robertson......W Nylander.......Kucherov....Lundell
    Eklund.....W Johnston.....Marchenko......Stankoven.......Peterk a.....Holtz

2012 Third Place
    2013 Runner Up
    2014 Iron League Champion
    2015 Iron League Champion
    2016 Runner-Up
    2017 Third Place

2018 4th
    2019 18th-rebuild

2020 10th
    2021 8th
    2022 7th

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Princeton View Post
    Love this thread Excelsior. +1

Thanks for the heads up on the players.

I own both OEL and MacLean (just picked him up) and I was wondering what your thoughts were on BM. I already read your projections for OEL. TY.

Does MacLean make the team? As it stands right now what would be your lines for opening day? I understand it's hard with all the UFA but any guess would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.
    Sunny Phoenix will see temperatures reaching 101F/38C with gusting winds today.

Ahhh Brett MacLean. Many people have been watching MacLean since his days with the Oshawa Generals. Many people thought his lofty numbers in his final year with the Generals ( Pts- 119 in 61 games ) was due to lining up with John Taveres. He quickly dispelled this notion though with his impressive AHL numbers which have seen a steady increase. This is just the sort of progression poolies like to see as an indicator of things to come.

He is starting to fill out his 6'1" frame and gain strength. During some callups with the Coyotes he spent some time on a line with Boedker & Turris. They really clicked. MacLean is the scorer on the line.

I don't think he has anything let to prove in the AHL and should get a long look at training camp, and even if he doesn't make the club out of camp he willjoin the Coyotes at some point this season.

Now all of this is if he remains with the organization. He could be dangled as trade bait because the Coyotes boast a pretty full cupboard of young talent but I really can't see that happening. I don't think they have another player in their system that boasts MacLean's talent from the wing.

I did come across this tidbit but it does not mention any player specifically-

In a May interview with NHL Live, GM Maloney mentioned that he had met with his pro-scouting staff and then talked to Jay Feaster (GM of the Flames) who had also spoke with his pro-staff. I know the Flames are up against the cap ceiling and lack young prospects, while we're nearer the cap-floor and have so many NHL ready prospects that we'll have to play some or risk them on the waiver wire. Was GMDM hinting at a potential deal. He mentioned that a lot of GMs are talking right now in preparation for the combine and the draft and that this is when the ground work for draft day trades are made.

As we see with the list below, Vrbata is a free agent & if he isn't re-signed there is a big hole on a top line on the right side. Enter MacLean. The list also shows Turris, Boedker, MacLean & Korpikoski as RFA. They each bring something different to the table and I would expect the Coyotes to try to get them all signed.

UFA-

Vrbata-RW
    Fiddler-LW
    Belanger-C
    Ebbett-C
    Hollweg-LW

Jovanovski-D

Bryzgalov-G ( Negotiating rights traded to Philadelphia )
    Labarbera-G ( signed )

RFA-

Turris-C
    Boedker-LW
    MacLean-LW
    Korpikoski-LW

Yandle-D

As far as opening night lineup here's my guess (Salary from Capgeek.com )-

FORWARDS
    Ray Whitney ($3.000m) / Martin Hanzal ($1.800m) / Radim Vrbata ($2.700m)
    Lauri Korpikoski ($1.800m) / Kyle Turris ($1.725m) / Shane Doan ($4.550m)
    Mikkel Boedker ($1.725m) / Andy Miele ($1.325m) / Brett MacLean ($950,000)
    Taylor Pyatt ($1.000m) / Vernon Fiddler ($1.250m) / Petteri Nokelainen ($0.550m)
    Paul Bissonnette ($0.612m)

Maybe remove Miele & insert Belanger if he re-signs and then flip him to the second line and Turris to the 3rd. I think if kept together though the BTM line will eventually be the top line in Phoenix.

DEFENSEMEN
    Keith Yandle ($4.700m) / Derek Morris ($2.750m)
    Rostislav Klesla ($2.975m) / Michal Rozsival ($5.000m)
    Oliver Ekman-Larsson ($1.750m) / Adrian Aucoin ($2.000m)
    David Schlemko ($0.550m)

GOALTENDERS
    ??? / Jason Labarbera ($1.250m)
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Administrator

We know Bryzgalov is gone, and I read recently that Vokoun is interested in Colorado. So assuming this happens, the only goalie on the UFA list (http://www.mynhltraderumors.com/2010...agents/#Goalie) that has shown enough durability to carry a full work load is Marty Turco. Maybe J-S Giguere too. I'm assuming Dwayne Roloson signs in TB. Guys like Pascal Leclaire, Mike Smith and Josh Harding have had major health issues while playing the backup role, so there is no reason to trust them in a #1 capacity. In the case of both Turco and Giguere, their skills are so eroded that I don't think it's worth it at this point.

You mention Brett MacLean as possible trade bait. Could he be in a package for Luongo should he be available for trade? Do you think this could have legs if they somehow get enoug budget to pull it off?

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Stud

Welcome once again to Sunny Phoenix. Today's forecast, are you ready........
    is cloud free skies with light winds and a high of 101F/38C but we will see that climb to 109F/42C by Wednesday.

But remember it's a "dry" heat LOL

Eric, your question is a good one. I just don't see Phoenix going after Luongo. While the team struggles to reach the cap floor, I can't see Maloney being giventhe to go ahead to make a deal like that. Not until a new owner is in place anyway.

The rumour I keep hearing is a deal involving MacLean and a draft pick or picks to Vancouver for Schneider if Ballard is handcuffed to him. I think is a much more likely deal. While Ballard's $4mill. contract is tough to swallow it might be the price the 'Yotes would have to pay to have a chance at Schneider although I still think this deal is a longshot. One thing we know for sure is that Vancouver is shopping Ballard because he never fit into their system and I think they would like the money to re-sign Bieksa.

You are so right about the UFA market, either old & oft injured or young, & unproven & oft injured. I have heard speculation from Nabokov to Emery ( yikes ). Perhaps they bring in a guy like Harding or Turco. Personally I'd like to see Harding signed short term and see what he can do if they can't aquire someone through trade.
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Administrator

Welcome once again to Sunny Phoenix. Today's forecast, are you ready........
    is cloud free skies with light winds and a high of 101F/38C but we will see that climb to 109F/42C by Wednesday.

But remember it's a "dry" heat LOL

Eric, your question is a good one. I just don't see Phoenix going after Luongo. While the team struggles to reach the cap floor, I can't see Maloney being giventhe to go ahead to make a deal like that. Not until a new owner is in place anyway.

The rumour I keep hearing is a deal involving MacLean and a draft pick or picks to Vancouver for Schneider if Ballard is handcuffed to him. I think is a much more likely deal. While Ballard's $4mill. contract is tough to swallow it might be the price the 'Yotes would have to pay to have a chance at Schneider although I still think this deal is a longshot. One thing we know for sure is that Vancouver is shopping Ballard because he never fit into their system and I think they would like the money to re-sign Bieksa.

You are so right about the UFA market, either old & oft injured or young, & unproven & oft injured. I have heard speculation from Nabokov to Emery ( yikes ). Perhaps they bring in a guy like Harding or Turco. Personally I'd like to see Harding signed short term and see what he can do if they can't aquire someone through trade.
    Your Nabokov idea makes a lot of sense provided that the Islanders don't keep him to have a veteran on the roster after the inevitable injury to Rick Dipietro. They could also wait till mid-July and sign a goaltender that "priced himself out" to a one year, high money contract in order to hit the cap floor. Depending on who the goalie is, it might lead to problems for the team on the ice.

The reason I favoured Luongo being dealt by the Canucks is because of their salary cap situation with a few players due for raises. Schneider is more affordable to them and moving Luongo allows them to allocate more money to keep guys like Bieksa.

I agree that the Schneider/Ballard package is far more appealing to the Coyotes though. Luongo on a lifetime contract in the sun would lead to even more trouble between the ears. But it takes two to make it work and I wonder which goaltender the Canucks choose to put on the market.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Padawan

Sunny Phoenix will see temperatures reaching 101F/38C with gusting winds today.

Ahhh Brett MacLean. Many people have been watching MacLean since his days with the Oshawa Generals. Many people thought his lofty numbers in his final year with the Generals ( Pts- 119 in 61 games ) was due to lining up with John Taveres. He quickly dispelled this notion though with his impressive AHL numbers which have seen a steady increase. This is just the sort of progression poolies like to see as an indicator of things to come.

He is starting to fill out his 6'1" frame and gain strength. During some callups with the Coyotes he spent some time on a line with Boedker & Turris. They really clicked. MacLean is the scorer on the line.

I don't think he has anything let to prove in the AHL and should get a long look at training camp, and even if he doesn't make the club out of camp he willjoin the Coyotes at some point this season.

Now all of this is if he remains with the organization. He could be dangled as trade bait because the Coyotes boast a pretty full cupboard of young talent but I really can't see that happening. I don't think they have another player in their system that boasts MacLean's talent from the wing.

I did come across this tidbit but it does not mention any player specifically-

In a May interview with NHL Live, GM Maloney mentioned that he had met with his pro-scouting staff and then talked to Jay Feaster (GM of the Flames) who had also spoke with his pro-staff. I know the Flames are up against the cap ceiling and lack young prospects, while we're nearer the cap-floor and have so many NHL ready prospects that we'll have to play some or risk them on the waiver wire. Was GMDM hinting at a potential deal. He mentioned that a lot of GMs are talking right now in preparation for the combine and the draft and that this is when the ground work for draft day trades are made.

As we see with the list below, Vrbata is a free agent & if he isn't re-signed there is a big hole on a top line on the right side. Enter MacLean. The list also shows Turris, Boedker, MacLean & Korpikoski as RFA. They each bring something different to the table and I would expect the Coyotes to try to get them all signed.

UFA-

Vrbata-RW
    Fiddler-LW
    Belanger-C
    Ebbett-C
    Hollweg-LW

Jovanovski-D

Bryzgalov-G ( Negotiating rights traded to Philadelphia )
    Labarbera-G ( signed )

RFA-

Turris-C
    Boedker-LW
    MacLean-LW
    Korpikoski-LW

Yandle-D

As far as opening night lineup here's my guess (Salary from Capgeek.com )-

FORWARDS
    Ray Whitney ($3.000m) / Martin Hanzal ($1.800m) / Radim Vrbata ($2.700m)
    Lauri Korpikoski ($1.800m) / Kyle Turris ($1.725m) / Shane Doan ($4.550m)
    Mikkel Boedker ($1.725m) / Andy Miele ($1.325m) / Brett MacLean ($950,000)
    Taylor Pyatt ($1.000m) / Vernon Fiddler ($1.250m) / Petteri Nokelainen ($0.550m)
    Paul Bissonnette ($0.612m)

Maybe remove Miele & insert Belanger if he re-signs and then flip him to the second line and Turris to the 3rd. I think if kept together though the BTM line will eventually be the top line in Phoenix.

DEFENSEMEN
    Keith Yandle ($4.700m) / Derek Morris ($2.750m)
    Rostislav Klesla ($2.975m) / Michal Rozsival ($5.000m)
    Oliver Ekman-Larsson ($1.750m) / Adrian Aucoin ($2.000m)
    David Schlemko ($0.550m)

GOALTENDERS
    ??? / Jason Labarbera ($1.250m)
    You rock. Thank you.

Dobber Sports Star

What are your thoughts on Smith? The article from a couple of days ago convinced me to grab him off the wire. With each passing day, I am feeling more and more like this may be the sleeper grab of the year.
    20 Team Dynasty League - POINTS ONLY (Champion - 2017, 2016, 2015)

Goalie: W (3.5) SO (4) L (-1)
    Daily starts: 9 Fwd, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Wilson Beauvillier Labanc
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour
    Butcher Murray Bayreuther

Fleury
    Domingue

Dobber Sports Stud

I agree Loco. I think Smith will do much better in Phoenix than he did when he was brought to Tampa to be the main guy a few years ago.

Reason #1- age and maturity. He has had a rocky road since impressing early in his career in Dallas. Inconsistency & injuries have seen his career derail. Being given a second chance at this point in his career is just what he needed and I think he realizes it.

Reason #2- he's reunited with Dave Tippett whom he played for as a rookie in Dallas.

Reason #3- the Coyote's defensive system is a goalies best friend.

Reason #4- his puck-moving skills add a new dimension to the Coyotes

Reason #5- he's big and he has Sean Burke in Phoenix, who is also a big goalie, to work with him.

If he can stay healthy and focused, he will surprise.
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Recent Transactions

Welcome to cloudy Phoenix ( well partly cloudy anyway ).

We will see temperatures of 107F/41C. That is a relief after seeing temperatures exceed 112F/44C in June.

Thought I'd try to get you caught up on some recent happenings with the Desert Dogs.

Recent Transactions-

~ Promoted Sean Burke to director of player development/goaltending coach.

~ Signed defenseman Keith Yandle to a five-year contract.

~ Signed goaltender Curtis McElhinney and defenseman Tyler Eckford to one-
    year, two-way contracts.

~ Re-signed forward Radim Vrbata to a multi-year contract.; signed center Alex Bolduc to a one-year contract.

~ Coyotes Sign Oystrick, Arsene and Watkins to One-Year Contracts
    Link- http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=568746

~ Coyotes Sign Boyd Gordon to Multi-Year Contract. Gordon is one of the best face off men in the NHL & will be used on the PK.

~ Coyotes Sign Forward Raffi Torres to Multi-Year Contract

~ Coyotes Sign Goaltender Mike Smith to a Multi-Year Contract

~ Coyotes Announce Affiliation Agreement with Portland of the American Hockey League
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Coyote Prospect Camp- The Goalies

Attending this week's prospect camp-

Mark Visentin

Louis Dominique

Mike Lee

Jacob De Serres

Follow the link below for a run down of the prospect goaltenders in camp-

http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=568884
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Prospect Camp- Connor Murphy

Twenty-eight prospects are at this year’s camp, including 2011 first-round draft pick Connor Murphy, a defenseman.

“It was really exciting to be able to finally go out on the ice after the whirlwind (at the draft) in Minnesota,” Murphy said. “It was actually a great relief just to be able to have fun and get back on the ice.”

Tippett liked what he saw in Murphy on the first day.

“He looks like a real solid player,” Tippett said “There’s some players that just look like hockey players and he looks like a hockey player... He’s lanky but he’s smooth with the puck. His skill-set is good. His poise is good. He looks like he’s going to be a real good player. It’s just one practice, but I am very pleasantly surprised this morning.”
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher