Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Arizona Coyotes

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Weather Report

I enjoy checking the weather you post everyday, so when you missed today I was surprised. Today is 103 and tomorrow is 108. As a resident of this oven they call a desert, even if I don't translate it to celsius, you can understand this....... IT'S FFFFFFIIIINNNNGGGG HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    How do you feel about Chris Summers?

Fairly unknown prospect to a lot of people, but is a former first round pick and plays with a definite edge.
    Thanks to the Goldenbrett for the Phoenix temperature today. The 103F converts to 39C. Ouch.

You are right about Summers probably being fairly unknown even though he was a 2006 first round pick at 29th overall. The effortless skater had a good career at University of Michigan where he captained the team as a senior. In his four-year career with the Wolverines, Summers had 16 goals, 44 assists, 191 penalty minutes and a plus-66 rating. He was a teammate of current Boston Bruin defenseman Steve Kampfer.

Summers saw some time as a forward in his first two seasons at Michigan. His best production was 17 points in 41 games as a junior.

Listed at 6'2" Summers has good height and at 208lbs is filling out his frame nicely. Pegged as an all-around defenceman with size, speed and hockey sense there is a lot to like. This past season Summers played 75 games with San Antonio of the AHL registering 10pts and even got a two game call up to the Coyotes.

The Coyotes are top heavy with defencemen prospects and Summers will probably have a very good NHL career with some puck moving ability but will not likely be an offensive threat that poolies like to see.
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dear Mr. Fantasy play us a tune
    Something to make us all happy
    Do anything, take us out of this gloom
    Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy~ Traffic

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Maloney says Yotes may make a move on draft day

Welcome to Phoenix. Today's forecast is not good- we will be experiencing some CLOUDS : (

But if you like heat, we'll have that with a High of 105F or 40C.

Maloney says he might package the 20th overall pick with one of their two second round picks to try to move up five or six spots, but says he wouldn't be against trading down several spots to gain an additional pick. He also says they are looking for a top six forward or top four defenceman.

From NHL.com-

Coyotes considering move -- at Draft

Friday, 06.03.2011 / 6:10 PM
    By Adam Kimelman - NHL.com Staff Writer / Combing the NHL Combine

Phoenix Coyotes General Manager Don Maloney said holding the 20th pick at the 2011 Entry Draft, as well as a pair of second-round picks, puts his team in a pretty advantageous spot.

"I like where we sit," Maloney told NHL.com during the fitness testing at the Toronto Congress Centre. "There's a lot of intriguing players that are going to be (available). It's an interesting spot to be in. We have two second-round picks. I know what'll happen -- we'll have the ability to move up in the draft, realistically we could move up five or six spots -- probably the most you could move up. Basically taking one of our seconds and our first, so somebody would have to drop to 20 and get a second-round pick. I know that'll be available to us depending on how the draft flows. On the other hand, we're not against looking and saying 'hey, we're at 20 to go to 25 or 26 or 27.' That could happen, too, to gain another asset in the second round."

While Maloney said he's open to moving back, he doubts he'll move out of the first round with any deal he might make.

"What you do when you get to your list, we might have a guy there at 16 that's a little under the radar, you take a risk to go back, maybe to 25, but 30 and beyond, that's a big drop," he said. "Probably that's too dramatic. Last year we traded down with Montreal, we we're sitting at 27 and we had the ability … the Islanders offered us three picks to drop back. We knew Visentin was a little high where we took him. It was up to (director of amateur scouting) Keith Gretzky and his staff. I said guys, here's an ability to trade down and get a couple second and I might have been able to do better than that, but they said no. We want to take the player. That drop -- we thought there's too much risk to get the guy we really wanted."

Maloney said wherever he ends up in the first round, he's got an idea of the kind of player he'll be looking for.

"We're not looking at a goaltender in an early round, that's a given this year based on what we did with Mark Visentin last year," Maloney said of the goaltender the Coyotes picked at No. 27 in 2010. "We would prefer, if it comes down to all things being equal, we might prefer a centerman to a winger, or we might prefer a defenseman to a winger. Either way, it's find the best top two-line forward or top-four defenseman, that's what we try to find where we're drafting."
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Speculation- Yotes re-sign Labarbera

Today's Phoenix forecast- High of 101F/38C and Sunny

As per NHLFREEAGENTS twitter-

http://twitter.com/#!/NHLFREEAGENTS

Reportedly two years at $1.25 / year.
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Excelsior View Post
    Thanks to the Goldenbrett for the Phoenix temperature today. The 103F converts to 39C. Ouch.

You are right about Summers probably being fairly unknown even though he was a 2006 first round pick at 29th overall. The effortless skater had a good career at University of Michigan where he captained the team as a senior. In his four-year career with the Wolverines, Summers had 16 goals, 44 assists, 191 penalty minutes and a plus-66 rating. He was a teammate of current Boston Bruin defenseman Steve Kampfer.

Summers saw some time as a forward in his first two seasons at Michigan. His best production was 17 points in 41 games as a junior.

Listed at 6'2" Summers has good height and at 208lbs is filling out his frame nicely. Pegged as an all-around defenceman with size, speed and hockey sense there is a lot to like. This past season Summers played 75 games with San Antonio of the AHL registering 10pts and even got a two game call up to the Coyotes.

The Coyotes are top heavy with defencemen prospects and Summers will probably have a very good NHL career with some puck moving ability but will not likely be an offensive threat that poolies like to see.
    Thanks for the info. Definitely doesn't have a lot of offensive upside but I think he could turn into a reliable 20-25 point d-man with 60+ PIM, not a bad option in deeper leagues with extended cats.

Dobber Sports Stud

Today's forecast 97F/36C and sunny.

Doan, Chara, Lidstrom shortlisted for Messier award.

Quote- "NEW YORK — For the fifth time in the five-year history of the prize, there will be a new winner of the Mark Messier Leadership Award this year.

Messier announced three nominees on Monday — Boston Bruins defenceman Zdeno Chara, Phoenix Coyotes forward Shane Doan and Detroit Red Wings blue-liner Nicklas Lidstrom. The six-time Stanley Cup champion makes up the short list himself, but does consult with league personnel. The winner will be announced June 22.

The award honours an individual who leads by positive example through on-ice performance, motivation of team members and a dedication to community activities and charitable causes.

Doan has played his entire career with the Phoenix Coyotes and is the only remaining player in the organization who was part of the franchise when it was the Winnipeg Jets. He’s been captain since 2003.

“It’s an honour to be nominated for the Mark Messier Leadership Award,” Doan said. “Anytime you are mentioned along with Mark Messier, it’s an incredible honour. I would like to congratulate Zdeno and Nicklas on being nominated for this special award. They are both great leaders.” "

This is just another example of why I believe Doan is considered one of the classiest and most admired leaders in the game today.
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Philadelphia acquires Bryzgalov's rights

The Philadelphia Flyers announced that they have acquired the rights to goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov (breez-GAH-lahf, IHL-yah) from the Phoenix Coyotes in exchange for LW Matt Clackson, the Flyers’ 3rd round draft choice in 2012 and a conditional draft choice, according to general manager Paul Holmgren.
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Love Him or Leave Him

Right now it is a lovely 92F degrees with an expected high of 102F or 38.8C in Phoenix

Love Him or Leave Him

Shane Doan

If it seems like Shane Doan has been around forever, well he has, sort of. One of the few remaining original Winnipeg Jets still playing in the NHL, Doan is still only 34 years old. He was drafted out of the WHL in 1995 going seventh overall.

He has been a very durable player throughout his NHL career with this year’s 72 games played his lowest season total since the 1997-1998 season when he split the season between the NHL and the Springfield Falcons of the AHL. Three of the games missed this year were due to a suspension in October resulting from a hit on Anaheim’s Dan Sexton.

After a dreadful start to the season this year ( only seven points by Nov. 30th ) Shane picked up his play in December and by the end of the season led his team in scoring again this season. His 60 points tied him with Ilya Kovalchuk who played 9 more games than Doan. Shane finished the season with 20 goals, 40 assists, a plus-5, with 221 SOG, 67 PIMs and 172 hits.

Consistency is the name of the game for Doan, both with games played each year and scoring, having averaged 65 points in the last three seasons. The Coyotes lean heavily on him when it comes to the man advantage. His powerplay TOI ranks 23rd in the NHL surprisingly ahead of players like Joe Thornton and Henrik Zetterberg. He finished the season with 21 powerplay points.

Doan owners were worried going into this season having seen his powerplay time and points dip from the previous season but that he improved on both this year is a great sign that his talents are not diminishing just yet. This is all the more encouraging considering the circus that has been going on in Phoenix regarding ownership issues. Although these are out of the hands of the players, it can’t help but affect them and as the Coyotes captain, Shane has had to answer all the relentless questions about the team’s on ice and off ice handling of the situation.

Another factor that might scare poolies away from Doan or other Coyotes
    ( except for Yandle ) is Dave Tippett’s defence first coaching style, but in fact Phoenix’s goals per game stands at 2.76 and sees them ranked fourteenth in the league ahead of teams like the Washington Capitals.

A well respected player, Doan has been representing Canada at International tournaments since 1999 and has captained Team Canada twice at the World Championship. Although yet to complete a Hat-Trick at the NHL level, Shane was able to accomplish the feat at the 2007 World Championships in Moscow He scored the hat-trick in a span of 6 minutes and 25 seconds in a victory over Belarus.

Doan has recently been named as one of three finalists for the Messier Leadership award along with Zdeno Chara and Niklas Lidstrom.

Though just a few seasons removed from 73 and 78 point seasons, I do not believe we will see those numbers again but I think we can expect to see the 60 point mark again next season, especially if Phoenix brings in a scoring UFA. So don’t forget about Shane Doan when it comes time to draft your dependable 60 point players.
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dobber Sports Star

Very glad to have you aboard - great work so far!

I really want to know what I can expect from Boedker. He just got dropped in my league, and I am thinking about dropping dusty Prospal for him. I hope to contend this year though, and can't afford to wait on production from Boedker. But, if his upside warrants it, I will grab him and hope for a year in the top 6. Think 40+ is reasonable? What is his upside and how far away is he?

Also, will Maxim Goncharov get any PP time or is he still a couple years from fantasy relevance?

Thanks a lot!!
    Last edited by loco man; June 12, 2011 at 1:15 PM.
    20 Team Dynasty League - POINTS ONLY (Champion - 2017, 2016, 2015)

Goalie: W (3.5) SO (4) L (-1)
    Daily starts: 9 Fwd, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Wilson Beauvillier Labanc
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour
    Butcher Murray Bayreuther

Fleury
    Domingue

Administrator

I really like the theme of this thread with the weather updates. It sets this thread apart from the other NHL coverage threads. Keep it up!

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by loco man View Post
    Very glad to have you aboard - great work so far!

I really want to know what I can expect from Boedker. He just got dropped in my league, and I am thinking about dropping dusty Prospal for him. I hope to contend this year though, and can't afford to wait on production from Boedker. But, if his upside warrants it, I will grab him and hope for a year in the top 6. Think 40+ is reasonable? What is his upside and how far away is he?

Also, will Maxim Goncharov get any PP time or is he still a couple years from fantasy relevance?

Thanks a lot!!
    Points wise they may be close next season but yes Boedker's upside makes him worth grabbing. I think 40 points is possible afterall Lauri Korpikoski had 40 pts this season but it will depend on who he lines up with. His upside is probably in the 70pt range.

He's ready. Don't forget he played the whole 08-09 season in Phoenix as a rookie. He's a speedster with a great shot. He has a very good two-way game to and seems to have earned Tippett's trust which isn't easy for a youngster.
    If he can lineup with good centre he will surprise a lot of people but that may be a year away.

I think Goncharov is still a couple of years away from putting up big points. He will get a look in camp but probably would be better off with another year in the AHL.
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    I really like the theme of this thread with the weather updates. It sets this thread apart from the other NHL coverage threads. Keep it up!
    Thanks. Nice to get positive feedback.
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dobber Sports Stud

Welcome to another sunny day in Phoenix with a high of 101F/38C with diminishing winds. It's a "dry" heat remember

Here's an interesting read from an Arizona reporter on the departure of Bryzgalov. He's obviously not sorry to see him go and wishes him "luck" in Philly.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/spo...cc4c002e0.html
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Excelsior View Post
    Welcome to another sunny day in Phoenix with a high of 101F/38C with diminishing winds. It's a "dry" heat remember

Here's an interesting read from an Arizona reporter on the departure of Bryzgalov. He's obviously not sorry to see him go and wishes him "luck" in Philly.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/spo...cc4c002e0.html
    About half of that article comes across as bitterness but the incidents about Bryz disappearing after bad games are worth noting. If he does indeed have a mental toughness issue he may be better served waiting till July 1st and signing outside of Philly.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    About half of that article comes across as bitterness but the incidents about Bryz disappearing after bad games are worth noting. If he does indeed have a mental toughness issue he may be better served waiting till July 1st and signing outside of Philly.
    Bryz has a reputation of being a bit of a flake & aloof ( more so that most goalies ) so he may have trouble with the spotlight & pressure in Philly, but from what I've heard he was well liked by his team-mates in Phoenix.

Coyote fans were very bitter after going out in four straight this year and seem to lay most of the blame on Bryz but they must be forgetting how well he has played over the past four seasons and is one of the big reasons they even made it to the playoffs.

He will go where the money is but for whatever team that is, as well as his fantasy owners I hope he does well.
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher