Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Shane Doan
    Nikolai Khabibulin
    Teemu Selanne

That's all I have.
    Very good but you are missing one player.
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dear Mr. Fantasy play us a tune
    Something to make us all happy
    Do anything, take us out of this gloom
    Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy~ Traffic

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Excelsior View Post
    Very good but you are missing one player.
    Kris Draper, acquired for $1 I believe. I posted a similar question in a trivia thread a few months back, so hopefully I don't look like a tool responding to yours.

Welcome to Team Coverage Excelsior, look forward to your posts.

Administrator

Should have remembered this given the story that was made about his departure...

Kris Draper.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Stud

Bingo MoreCanadianTeams. Those are the 4.

Well done.
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Hey Excelsior, when do you see OEL stepping into a regular role with PP time, 2 years? or do you see Tippett (he who eats the young) using him in the top 4 this coming season?

Dobber Sports Stud

I try to leave the prognostications to Dobber & the boys but I think OEL did well this year in his 48 games considering it's his first season in North America.

That's quite an adjustment for a 19 year old defenceman. His plus 3 hopefully gives Tippett some confidence in him. This year he will be a year older & stronger. Only 2 other first round defencemen from the 2009 draft played significant ice time this year- Hedman & Kulikov & Leddy to a lesser degree.

A lot may depend on what happens with UFA Jovanovski & maybe even RFA Keith Yandle if someone throws an offer sheet at him.

I think he is a couple of years from putting up significant PP time. Phoenix likes to use a forward on D on the PP as well. But he is definitely a good one to own.
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Prospect Report- Mark Visentin

Phoenix- Today's forecast- Sunny; high of 100F/37.7C and breezy

Getting To Know You- MARK VISENTIN Goalie

Height- 6' 02"
    Weight- 201lbs

Mark Visentin was the second goalie drafted in 2010 being taken by Phoenix 27th overall. Jack Campbell was taken by Dallas 11th overall.

The Phoenix Coyotes signed him to an entry level contract in April. Visentin backstopped Team Canada to a silver medal at the World Junior Hockey Championships during the Christmas break. He was 30-9-2-4 for the Niagara Ice Dogs of the OHL with a 2.52 GAA and a .917 save percentage. He will likely need a couple of seasons in the minors at least after he finishes his junior hockey career next season. (Source: Arizona Republic/Phoenix Gazette)

Mark has moved up 8 spots in the most recent Goalieguild.com prospect ranking to number 50 overall. He reports that he is one to keep an eye on.

OHL goalie of the year 2010-2011

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/a...the-year/97852

From the article- Visentin posted a 30-9-2-4 record between the pipes for the IceDogs helping the club to their best regular season finish in franchise history with 96 points in the OHL’s Eastern Conference. In 46 games he carried the second-best goals-against-average with a mark of 2.52 while his .917 save percentage was the highest in the OHL this season. Visentin also earned four shutout victories which tied for second-most in the league.
    "It's an honour to receive this award considering all of the talented goaltenders in the league this year,” said Visentin. “I couldn't do it without the great players in front of me, the superb coaching staff, and the wonderful organization here in Niagara. It's also an honour to follow the footsteps of other great goaltenders who have won this award in the past."

Visentin, an 18-year-old from Waterdown, ON, has played three OHL seasons with the IceDogs who selected him in the third round of the 2008 OHL Priority Selection. In 44 starts this season he allowed two or less goals 21 times including five-straight games from February 3-13 in a stretch where he received OHL Player of the Week honours and was named the Vaughn CHL Goaltender of the Week twice. This season he competed as a member of Team OHL in the 2010 SUBWAY Super Series before being selected to represent Canada at the 2011 IIHF World Junior Championship in Buffalo, NY, where he earned a silver medal. In April, Visentin signed a three-year entry-level contract with the Phoenix Coyotes who selected him with the 27 overall pick in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft.

“Mark was great for us all season,” said IceDogs Head Coach and General Manager Marty Williamson. “He is a tremendous worker and the backbone of our team. We are extremely proud of Mark and this award just goes to show that his hard work and dedication really paid off.”

Visentin will be formally presented with the OHL’s Goaltender of the Year Award on Wednesday June 8 at the OHL Awards Ceremony held at the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto. He is also the OHL’s nominee for the CHL Goaltender of the Year.
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Prospect Report- Andy Miele

Getting to know you-

Andy Miele

Forward

Born Apr 15 1988 -- Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
    Height 5.09 -- Weight 180 -- Shoots L

2010-11 Univ. of Miami ( Ohio ) Gp- 39 G- 24 A- 47 Pts- 71 PIM- 35

Dobber Prospect Rank- 126

2011 NCAA Hobey Baker Winner

Follow Andy on Twitter- http://twitter.com/#!/andy_miele

Undrafted- signed by Phoenix as a free agent following his 4th year of college hockey.

The small but skilled Miele will get a long look at training camp with some openings at the centre position likely opening up unless some UFA's are signed. Considered more of a setup player, the 23 year old lead the NCAA in scoring. He is only five feet, nine inches but was highly sought after as he is talented offensively. "I don't think about my size when I'm on the ice," said Miele. "I try to play a bigger man's game. I'm feisty out there. I don't let people push me around. "You gain respect from that, so I don't really think about it. I always worked in my life, and I don't plan on changing that."

Miele put on the Stars & Stripes for the first time in his career, suiting up for Team USA in the recent World Championship.

Excerpt from a usahockey.com article following a game vs France-

"Miele played more than 11 minutes and was a regular contributor on Team USA’s numerous power play opportunities. Just over five-minutes into the second period, the skillful forward moved from the left side of French goalie Cristobal Huet toward the slot and slid a perfect pass to Chris Kreider, who scored to give the U.S. a 3-1 lead, in what would ultimately become the game-winning goal.

“We were working it and we were due,” said Miele about the second period power play goal. “It’s very funny that I got the assist on a BC guy’s goal. I usually hate Boston College, they’ve knocked us out for so many years, but I was happy for Kreider to get that goal and happy for the team.”

“He made some of our best plays on the power play tonight and really contributed,” said U.S. head coach Scott Gordon. “That’s what we need, a skilled guy like that who can step in and make those plays.” "

link to full article-

http://www.usahockey.com/Template_Us...1_03&id=304308
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Getting to know you- David Schlemko

Welcome to sunny Phoenix. Today's high will reach 99F/37C

David Schlemko- defenceman

Ht- 6' 1"
    Wt- 195 lbs
    Age- 24

Undrafted- signed as a free agent summer 2007. Signed a 3 year extention June 2010.

2010-2011 GP- 43 G- 4 A- 10 PTS- 14 PPP- 5 PPTOI/G- 1.36

Plus-8 .33 pts/G

David Schlemko is a mobile, puck-moving defenceman and good in his own end. Dave Tippett had this to say about him after game one of the playoffs-

"When the blue line was decimated with injuries, Schlemko played important minutes for the hockey club during the latter stages of the regular season. Regarding his performance in Game 1, head coach Dave Tippett said, "He was fine the other night...he's a young player who's come along and given us real quality minutes. So we feel very comfortable with him in."

In his last year of junior in 2007 with the Medicine Hat Tigers, David was considered the Tigers most consistent defenceman even though the team had Kris Russell and Cam Barker on the back end. In 64 regular season games, David scored 58 points and posted another 16 points in 23 playoff games.

After signing with Phoenix as a free agent in June 2007, David spent most of the season with the Arizona Sundogs of the CHL. In 58 games he scored ten goals and 29 assists. In the playoffs he led the team in plus/minus with plus-13. The Sundogs won the League Championship and Schlemko earned CHL All-Rookie Team honours.

After seeing some callups to San Antonio of the AHL the previous season, Schlemko would spend the entire 2008-2009 season with the team. In 68 games he posted seven goals and 22 assists but sported a poor plus/minus rating of minus-15. He did however receive 3 callups the the Coyotes and chipped in one assist.

During the 2009-2010 season Schlemko would post 31 points in 55 games with San Antonio and improve his plus/minus somewhat to minus-4. In 17 games with the Coyotes he scored one goal and added four assists and was a plus-1.

This past fall, David earned a spot with the big club out of training camp. His first 4 points came during three consecutive games in late November. While trying to gain his confidence and consistency in the NHL, Schlemko was made a healthy scratch on several occasions and also missed time twice with head injuries.

So what does all this mean from a fantasy point of view? Well I like David Schlemko, probably more as a real player than a fantasy player. He did see time paired with Yandle as well as Rozsival and had a taste of powerplay time. Tippett seems to be gaining confidence in him, which is a good sign but, and it's a big but, we all know that they are grooming Oliver Ekman-Larsson for the first powerplay unit with Yandle. OEL saw 48 games this season and with Jovanovski being a free agent, I think OEL will be with the club full time next season. We can't forget about Goncharov ( fifth round pick ) and Gormley ( first round pick 13th overall ) who aren't that far away either. As an undrafted player, Schlemko doesn't have the pedigree behind his name that teams seem to look for. I'm not saying he's not good but we know teams favour their draft picks.

I think Schlemko will increase his points total in the upcoming season but with the other offensive talent on the back end, he just won't get the PP time needed to be a big producer. He might be valuable if you are in a deep league though.
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Prospect signings

The Phoenix Coyotes have signed goaltender Louis Domingue to an entry-level contract.

In 57 games with the QMJHL's Quebec Remparts, Domingue posted a 37-12-3 record with a 2.65 goals-against average, a .898 save percentage and two shutouts. He was a fifth-round choice of the Coyotes in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft.

Source: Coyotes.nhl.com

Jordan Szwarz has agreed to terms on an entry-level deal with the Phoenix Coyotes.

He potted 27 goals and 66 points, with 90 penalty minutes, in 65 games with Saginaw of the Ontario Hockey League in 2010-11. The Coyotes made him the 97th overall selection in the fourth round of the 2009 draft.

Source: Coyotes.nhl.com
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Prospect signing- Justin Weller

Welcome to Phoenix- Today's high 98F/36C and sunny

Not fantasy relevant unless possibly PIM's & plus/minus someday but thought I'd post it-

GLENDALE, ARIZONA – Phoenix Coyotes General Manager Don Maloney announced today that the Coyotes have signed defenseman Justin Weller to an entry level contract. As per club policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Weller
    Last season, the 6-foot-3, 208-pound Weller played 68 games with the Red Deer Rebels (Western Hockey League), recording 4-13-17 and 104 penalty minutes. He also posted a plus-24 rating and played in nine playoff games for the Rebels, collecting 2-1-3.

In four seasons with Red Deer, the 19-year-old native of Daysland, Alberta, played in 220 games, registering 6-27-33 and 262 penalty minutes. Weller was drafted by the Coyotes in the fourth round (105th overall) in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft.
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dobber Sports Grand Master

How do you feel about Chris Summers?

Fairly unknown prospect to a lot of people, but is a former first round pick and plays with a definite edge.

I'd like to know your thoughts on Schlemko (sp?). Any long term potential there???
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Stud

Thanks for the question.

I'd keep an eye on Schlemko at the beginning of the season to see how the team handles him. So much depends on whether Jovo is re-signed ( I don't think he will be ) and how much ice time & PP time they give OEL.

While Schlemko actually outscored OEL in less games played this season scoring at a .33 pts/gm pace compared to OEL's .22 pts/gm, with similar average ice time, OEL has the higher pedigree ( 6th overall pick ) & team's favour that. Also Schlemko is 24 year old compared to OEL at 19.

Schlemko has a better overall game at this point as OEL is still weak defensively and posted a plus-8 compared to OEL's minus-3.

Schlemko has offensive upside but make no mistake OEL is the top defensive prospect who will eventually be paired with Yandle on the PP. I think Schlemko will improve his points in the upcoming season but he will have to battle OEL this season and Goncharov & Gormley in the future.

Please see post #25 for more info.
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher