Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Arizona Coyotes

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Arizona Coyotes

Welcome to Phoenix. Today's temperature is 31C or 87F for those of you not on the metric system.

Many think that the Phoenix Coyotes are as barren of talent as their home state is of lush vegetation, but a closer look will reveal some fantasy worthy players.

To familiarize yourself with the team, here is their depth chart-

Ray Whitney-Eric Belanger-Shane Doan
    Lauri Korpikoski-Martin Hanzal- Radim Vrbata
    Taylor Pyatt-Vern Fiddler-Lee Stempniak
    Mikkel Boedker- Kyle Turris-Paul Bissonnette
    Ryan Hollweg-Petteri Nokelainen-Brett MacLean
    Viktor Tikhonov-Andrew Ebbett-Matt Beaudoin

Keith Yandle-Adrian Aucoin
    Derek Morris-Rusty Klesla
    Ed Jovanovski-Michal Rozsival
    David Schlemko-Oliver Ekman-Larsson

Ilya Bryzgalov (negotiation rights traded to Philly)-Jason LaBarbera
    Matt Climie-Mark Visentin

RECENT SIGNINGS-

Forward Petteri Nokelainen has agreed to a one-year contract with the Phoenix Coyotes. Nokelainen had 27 points and 116 penalty minutes in 46 games with Jokerit Helsinki of the SM-liiga before he helped Finland win a gold medal in the 2011 IIHF World Championships. He had 13 points and 27 penalty minutes in 67 NHL games with Phoenix and Anaheim in 2009-10.

Recently acquired Ethan Werek has signed a three-year/entry level deal with the Phoenix Coyotes.

A center, Werek was dealt from the Rangers to Phoenix in exchange for Oscar Lindberg 12 days ago and the former second round pick, 47th overall in 2009 signed quickly with his new team. Werek had 24 goals and 52 points in 47 games with the Kingston Frontenacs of the OHL this past season.

Prospect Brett Hextall has signed an entry level contract. He has spent the past three seasons playing for the University of North Dakota. He is son of former NHL goalie Ron Hextall. He recorded 13 goals and 16 assists in 39 games in 2010-11 for the Fighting Sioux. Phoenix took him with the 159th overall pick in the 2008 draft.

Hobey Baker finalist Andy Miele, signed an entry level deal with the Phoenix Coyotes.

The Miami of Ohio forward had 24 goals and 71 points in 39 games to lead the nation in scoring. He is only five feet, eight inches but was highly sought after as he is talented offensively. "I don't think about my size when I'm on the ice," said Miele. "I try to play a bigger man's game. I'm feisty out there. I don't let people push me around. "You gain respect from that, so I don't really think about it. I always worked in my life, and I don't plan on changing that." He could play with the Coyotes in the final week as he will attend practice on Monday.

Source: Arizona Republic/Phoenix Gazette

RUMOUR MILL

Ilya Bryzgalov, who is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1st, is reportedly interested in signing with the Philadelphia Flyers.

Source: csnphilly.com
    Sunday, May 15, 2011
    Posted: 2:23 p.m. | Updated: 7:33 p.m.

By Tim Panaccio
    CSNPhilly.com

VANCOUVER, British Columbia -- The talk over the next month leading up to free agency for the Flyers is going to center around finding an established goalie to be the club€™s new No. 1 next season.

According to one league source, Phoenix€™s Ilya Bryzgalov might be a perfect fit for the Flyers.

Bryzgalov won 36 games for the Coyotes last season, posting a 2.48 GAA and a .921 save percentage.

The source, who is intimately familiar with the Russian, who turns 31 just days before he becomes a free agent, says Bryzgalov would relish becoming a Flyer.

€œHe would love the adulation he€™d get in Philadelphia,€ the source said. €œThis is a big guy, who plays back in the net and can play a lot of games for the Flyers. Phoenix and the Flyers have had some talks this season about trades, including Jeff Carter.

€œPhoenix needs some significant help up the middle with Kyle Turris. They€™ve talked to Philadelphia about trading for Carter to achieve that. Maybe they do that. Philadelphia has to move salary. You need to clear about $5.5 million to bring Bryzgalov to Philly, if he€™s their guy.€

It might be bad for the Flyers, but interestingly, Bryzgalov just changed agents, signing on with Rich Winter, who is likely looking to make a killing for his new client.

As for using Bryzgalov€™s Russian roots as a mentor for young Flyer goalie Sergie Bobrovsky, the source said that Bryzgalov€™s personality might not be ideally suited for that.

€œI don€™t know if this is the guy you want doing that,€ the source said. €œThe one thing with Ilya, is that he sometimes gets off his game and can get a little goofy on you, and you have to sit him down and get him back on the path. You might not want that as a tutor for your younger goalie.€

Bryzgalov is among a laundry list of goalies the Flyers are considering, including other free agents such as Tomas Vokoun, Evgeni Nabokov, a former free agent, who won€™t report to the Islanders and is going to have his contract tolled, plus two players who are not free agents, Miikka Kiprusoff and Niklas Backstrom.
    Last edited by Excelsior; June 8, 2011 at 8:03 PM.
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dear Mr. Fantasy play us a tune
    Something to make us all happy
    Do anything, take us out of this gloom
    Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy~ Traffic

Dobber Sports Monster

Heeeeey we have a 'Yotes team reporter??

Welcome aboard Excelsior!

Dobber Sports Assistant Manager

Yessir!

Welcome to the team & great opening post.

Let the good times begin!
    Gates Imbeau
    DobberHockey's HHOF - 2013 Builder's Category
    Twitter: @GM_Gates

Very cool! Glad to have ya aboard...even though your avatar makes me wince everytime I look at it.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Let's kick this off... should I go for Turris over the summer? What's a realistic scenario for him next season?
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Guru

Excellent start! Glad to have you aboard!
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by sentium View Post
    Let's kick this off... should I go for Turris over the summer? What's a realistic scenario for him next season?
    I like Turris. We all know he was brought in too early & that has stunted his development, but I think both his age ( now 21 ) and opportunity ( Belanger & Ebbett are UFA's ) will act in his favour next season.

Turris is skilled and proved it with 35 pts in 36 games at U. of Wisconsin. While in San Antonio during the 09-10 season he put up decent numbers 63 pts in 76 games. That is where he should have played the previous year but that is water under the bridge.

While his numbers this season don't jump out at you 25 pts in 65 games his playoff numbers are encouraging- 3 pts in 4 games. We have to remember that Turris is playing for Dave Tippett as well who is not known for his offensive style.

One thing that muddies the waters is the recent re-signing of centre Petteri Nokelainen. A mysterious move considering the Coyotes bought him out a year ago.

I don't think Turris' price will ever get lower than it is now & with his upside I would look at aquiring him.
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

The Wolverine

Welcome! If Bryzgalov does get moved, any thoughts/speculation on who could be, or would be a good target to be their starting goalie next season? Thanks in advance.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Welcome! If Bryzgalov does get moved, any thoughts/speculation on who could be, or would be a good target to be their starting goalie next season? Thanks in advance.
    I wish I knew. I think they will try to re-sign Bryz but his asking price may be too high & with his comments about refusing to move to Winnipeg if the team had moved there certainly hasn't endeared him to the Coyotes. Plus Philadelphia seems to be in the picture.

Do the Coyotes go after say a Schnieder, Varlamov or Bernier? I can't see them rolling with a youngster as their #1. A look at the free agents available doesn't really reveal much. Would a Josh Harding be ready to take on the starting roll.

Tomas Vokoun has expressed his desire to stay in Florida.

If Bryzgalov doesn't sign, it will free up cap space which could be used to bring in some good offensive players but the Coyotes don't seem to have anyone in their system ready to step up either so I would say goaltending becomes their main offseason issue.
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Excelsior View Post
    I wish I knew. I think they will try to re-sign Bryz but his asking price may be too high & with his comments about refusing to move to Winnipeg if the team had moved there certainly hasn't endeared him to the Coyotes. Plus Philadelphia seems to be in the picture.

Do the Coyotes go after say a Schnieder, Varlamov or Bernier? I can't see them rolling with a youngster as their #1. A look at the free agents available doesn't really reveal much. Would a Josh Harding be ready to take on the starting roll.

Tomas Vokoun has expressed his desire to stay in Florida.

If Bryzgalov doesn't sign, it will free up cap space which could be used to bring in some good offensive players but the Coyotes don't seem to have anyone in their system ready to step up either so I would say goaltending becomes their main offseason issue.
    Thanks Excelsior. I don't know about contracts/cap etc but if Philadelphia was becoming a possible destination, perhaps Leighton could be part of the package?

Dobber Sports Stud

Thanks for all the warm welcomes everybody.

Welcome to sunny Phoenix. Today's high 32C/89F.

NEWS

Coyotes assistant coach Ulf Samuelsson has left the team to become Head Coach of Modo hockey in Sweden. No word yet on a replacement.

Phoenix prospect Mark Visentin was named OHL Goaltender of the Year and first team All Star.

I thought I would list this summer's UFA's and RFA's for the Coyotes-

UFA-

Vrbata-RW
    Fiddler-LW
    Belanger-C
    Ebbett-C
    Hollweg-LW

Jovanovski-D

Bryzgalov-G ( Negotiating rights traded to Philadelphia )
    Labarbera-G ( signed )

RFA-

Turris-C
    Boedker-LW
    MacLean-LW
    Korpikoski-LW

Yandle-D
    Last edited by Excelsior; June 19, 2011 at 9:33 AM.
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Phoenix Prospects

Dobber Prospect Rank Name Position

# 3 Mikkel Boedker F
    # 15 Brett MacLean F
    # 100 Viktor Tikhonov F
    # 126 Andy Miele F ( Hobey Baker winner 2010-2011 )
    # 154 Chris Brown F
    # 2 D Oliver Ekman-Larsson D
    # 15 D Maxim Goncharov D
    # 20 D Brandon Gormley D

Others-
    Chris Summers D
    David Schlemko D
    Mark Visentin G ( OHL Goaltender of the Year; 1st team all star )
    Michael Stone F
    Ethan Werek F
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Administrator

Regarding Turris, he was brought along too quickly on several fronts. Going from the BCHL straight to college is a pretty big leap and the fact that he had success in his one year at Wisconsin is impressive. But then after just one year of college hockey he jumps straight to the NHL. That is a lot to ask of an undersized player. Maybe an extra year or two in college would have helped. Let the kid challenge for the Hobey Baker instead of being buried by a coach who has a reputation of doing that.

I think in the end he'll be alright, but I wouldn't expect the gaudy offensive numbers that were predicted when he was 18.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Regarding Turris, he was brought along too quickly on several fronts. Going from the BCHL straight to college is a pretty big leap and the fact that he had success in his one year at Wisconsin is impressive. But then after just one year of college hockey he jumps straight to the NHL. That is a lot to ask of an undersized player. Maybe an extra year or two in college would have helped. Let the kid challenge for the Hobey Baker instead of being buried by a coach who has a reputation of doing that.

I think in the end he'll be alright, but I wouldn't expect the gaudy offensive numbers that were predicted when he was 18.
    Another good example of this is Max Pacioretty.

Twenty second overall pick in '07 out of the USHL. One season of NCAA. Signs with Montreal and impresses at training camp. 29 points in 37 games in Hamilton, gets called up to the Habs & plays 34 games. As much as fans & poolies wanted him there, he just wasn't ready.
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dobber Sports Stud

Lightbulb Today's Trivia

Phoenix- today's forecast:

Sunny
    Chance of rain 0%
    High of 37C/99F

~Name all former Winnipeg Jets still playing in the NHL~