Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Colorado Avalanche

Dobber Sports Star

After Day 2 at camp here is the early top 9 projection for the Avs,

Lindstrom Stastny Jones (they have looked terrific the last 2 days, tons of chemistry)
    Mueller Duchene Hejduk
    Galiardi O'Reilly Landeskog (O'Reilly sniped 2 today, Landy has been getting roughed up a lot it appears as though the vets are trying to prepare him for everyday NHL life, but has stood out in camp)

Siemens has been paired up with Quincey and that pair looked terrific today. Quincey is 100% since his shoulder surgery and it shows as he was physical and letting the puck rip from the blue line.

Stoa looks soft, I don't think he will ever make the NHL full-time. Has the size of a power forward but plays like the marshmallow man. I would cut him loose.
    Yip won't make this team out of training camp.
    [color=#008000]24 Team / 3 Tier Roto League
    G|A|+/-|PIM|PPP|SOG|Hits|BS
    W|GAA|SV

Tier 1
    C: Tavares, Duchene, JStaal, Marner, Grigorenko, Dubois, Barzal
    LW: Landeskog, Teravainen, Pearson, Wilson, Pulkkinen, Bittner
    RW: PKane, Gaborik, Virtanen, Rantanen, Stewart, Sprong, Chiasson, Vey
    D: OEL, Barrie, Bogosian, Larsson, McNabb, Oduya, Bigras
    G: Bobrovsky, Korpisalo, Hutton, Hellberg

Dobber Sports Star

Courtesy of Mile High Hockey a Training Camp Recap:
    http://www.milehighhockey.com/2011/9...ecap#storyjump

In short, here are the training camp studs, duds, and mixed performances:

Studs: EJ, Quincey, Lindstrom, Elliott (terrific offense, but needs serious work on his D), Quincey, McClement, O'Reilly, Galiardi

Duds: Kobasew, Cumiskey, Yip, Stoa, Holos, Rutkowski, Donnelly

Mixed: Olver, Landy (looked great against fellow prospects in camp, but is continuously learning during the main camp, has been progressing day to day, most likely will line up on the 3rd line), McLeod, Barrie, Siemens, Winnik
    W|GAA|SV

Tier 1

Dobber Sports Star

Here is the Lineup for Tonight's Pre-Season Matchup against the Dallas Stars:

Goalies
    31 Trevor Cann
    64 Calvin Pickard

Defense
    3 Ryan O’Byrne
    5 David Liffiton
    22 Matt Hunwick
    25 Duncan Siemens
    27 Kyle Quincey
    36 Jonas Holos
    41 Tyson Barrie

Forwards
    12 Kevin Porter
    17 Chuck Kobasew
    34 Daniel Winnik
    37 Ryan O’Reilly
    39 T.J. Galiardi
    42 Brad Malone
    43 Justin Mercier
    45 Luke Walker
    47 Evan Brophey
    58 Patrick Bordeleau
    67 Garrett Meurs
    92 Gabriel Landeskog

Hopefully the Avs will give a long look to the line of Galiardi-O'Reilly-Landeskog. Also a surprise that S.Elliott is not in the lineup, however he has impressed in camp and perhaps is ahead of some of the D playing tonight (Hunwick & Barrie). Around 9-10 players in the lineup tonight will probably be getting re-assigned by the end of the weekend.
    W|GAA|SV

Tier 1

Dobber Sports Star

A couple of stories from the Denver Post:

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/...obref=obinsite

The first one is about rookie Brad Malone, who has a terrific opportunity to steal a 4th line roster spot out of camp. He's an agitating enforcer similar to a guy like McLeod, but has higher offensive skills than McLeod and could chip in offensively on a more consistent basis as his 40 pts. in his senior year at the University of North Dakota would suggest.

For tonight game Malone will be centering a line with TJ Galiardi and Chuck Kobasew (who has really stunk it up in camp thus far). This would leave the other line in the top 6of O'Reilly centering Landeskog with Winnik/Porter.

Ryan Wilson is nursing a thumb injury, while O'Brien is day to day with a shoulder injury practicing in a non-contact jersey.

Here's a fan Q&A with Landeskog:
    http://www.denverpost.com/fanmail/ci_18948139
    W|GAA|SV

Tier 1

Dobber Sports Star

A Mile High Reader Recaps some of the players from yesterday's game as he was at the game and even got to sit behind the player benches. The Avs lost 5-2 with an EN goal coming back the other way. Malone and Barrie led the way with 1G and 1A each, Quincey and Galiardi chipped in with 1A as well. The Avs outhit the Stars 39-24 with Landeskog leading the way for both sides with 7 hits.

Good

Landeskog- I read that Sunnyside Mcnabb said Landy was the best player on the ice. He was. Not just the first period but really for the whole game. He pressured everyone. He closed the gaps fast. He laid some big hits. He made Souray look like a fool on several occasions. He really was the workhorse for the Avs Offense. Malone's first goal was really all Landy's doing. Thank you to the Stars and allowing me to move my seat after the first intermission to right at the end of the Avs bench on. I saw a couple of times Souray said, "keep an eye out for 92 slippery bastard." Fristic said "F*ck, he got there fast." I don't know what you saw, in camp, but I got a man crush on this guy now. Mind you he played against people like Daley and Souray, Eriksson and the Benn brothers, these are NHL'ers. I was in the Huberdeau camp during draft but I am all aboard the Landy express. Get your sweaters, you're going to like what you see. Oh, he was 1st line PK and PP.

Barrie- I know what you are going to say, but I am going to express this anyways. Barrie is NHL ready now (from what I saw). This guy just knows how to play the game. He got cornered with the puck on the powerplay, made a nifty move and drew another penalty. Then scored on the 5-3. On Lehtonen, and there was nothing Lehtonen could have done. What a wicked wrister this kid has. I am sure he had a few shots get blocked but I can't remember any that did. I love the way he gets his shot through. I was very surprised how good he was on the defense side. He plays good positional and laid a pretty nice hit on someone also. One thing I can say about Barrie, he just has amazing instinct for the game. He had his Shatenkirk falls here and there but he recovered fast and still eliminated the trailer. Barrie was on the ice for a few goals but I really do not put blame on Barrie. He does have trouble with the big guys. Benn kinda man handled him. He was without a doubt the best player on the blue line for the Avs.

Defense Play for the first two periods- Only 8 shots given up in two periods, I was getting excited.

Physical play- The Avs left the game with over 40 hits. Landy had a bunch and I think Bordello was averaging 2 hits per minute. Of course that is about how long it took him to get from one end of the rink to the other. Maybe that was why. The Avs drew a ton of penalties the first period.

Gali- He had a strong game. The first two periods he ran amuck and did some good things. He did tweak his wrist on a miss hit on the boards but he didn't miss a shift.

Malone- Was a handful in front of the net. I see they gave the second goal to Malone, I guess Malone got a tip. To be honest, I didn't see any tip. I was kinda expecting more of a physical guy, and he was physical, but he seemed to be the one absorbing all the punishment. Strong game.

We were playing with our third line our third line defense and our 4th and 5th goalies. They played with their top goalie, 2 of their top line, and their healthiest defense (minus Golgolski and Robidas who is injured). We dominated this game for two periods except in faceoffs and the score. I feel very confident in this team this year.

The Average

ROB- I know he had a bad plus minus, but I thought he played decent. The problem was that it appeared he was the only one out of his pair that had any intrest in playing defense. Both goals he had his guy pinned on the wall and someone else came in and took the puck and ran right up crease and scored. It was so bad I never got to see who his partner was in either goal. I think it might have been Hunwick on one and Holos on the other. He did blow up Steve Ott. I mean like an atomic blow up. Dang near put Ott to the side boards and Ott was right in front of Cann.

Liffiton- He had a real strong game. He stepped in on Ott and chased Ott off when he was going after Holos. He was tough and laid a bunch of quality hits, bit of an offensive liability.

Bordeleau- He did what he does. That dude can hit. Every time he came out Ott left. He planted Oleksiak on the boards, don't know how the glass didn't break.

Bad

Quincy- WTF, aren't you the veteran? Why did Barrie carry you all game! Every camp he comes out and is mean and tough in camp, but as soon as he gets to a game where he is seeing another sweater he plays like an idiot. Quincy said it best after the third goal. Barrie takes two guys out of the play and Quincy completely missed his coverage. Right in front of me he says "F*ck me". Couldn't agree with your more big guy. If Quincy is on a powerplay, the Avs powerplay is not going to be good. He missed so many passes. He botched a couple passes to the blue line. One of which he flailed around on the ground and took a guy out. They scored within 20 seconds of the powerplay, which made the score 4-2 (in case you missed it, Quincy was pretty much responsible for the last two goals). I saw Barrie fall trying to keep the puck and he kept his calm, but Quincy was just horrible during the third. He wasn't good for the first and second. Quincy plays like this and Elliot is better than Barrie, well it might be nacho season for Quincy

Holos- This might be a bit unfair, but if you are going to give such little offensive effort he could at least be solid on the defensive side. All I could think of with Holos was John Denver “leaving on a jett plane".

Kobesew started out pretty good. Drew a penalty, then it when downhill. One sequence, Radar and Landy kept stealing the puck and kept centering to Kobesew but he never got a pass or a shot off. I am almost wondering if he is hurt, because a vet like Kobesew doesn't play like that. He waits for the puck to come to him and that is always a recipe for disaster, especially when you have Hunwick (can you please try to pass the puck instead of trying to put the puck).

Goalies- Pickard doesn't come out to meet the puck and Cann can't stay in the crease. Mix the two and you have a good goalie. I think it was 8 times I saw a pass shot across the crease on Pickard. Cann was victimized by horrible blue line play. Still don't like so many passes going behind the goalie.

Side note- Jamie Oleksiak looked dang good. This guy is BIG! He can skate well.
    If you are still with me, that's awesome
    Last edited by mapletreemarty; September 23, 2011 at 7:32 AM.
    W|GAA|SV

Tier 1

Dobber Sports Star

Avs Lineup for Tonight:

1 Semyon Varlamov G
    31 Trevor Cann G

6 Erik Johnson D
    24 Cameron Gaunce D
    25 Duncan Siemens D
    41 Tyson Barrie D
    46 Stefan Elliott D
    2 Joel Chouinard D
    4 David Liffiton D

9 Matt Duchene C
    26 Paul Stastny C
    16 Jay McClement C
    88 Peter Mueller C
    28 Joakim Lindstrom C
    29 Ryan Stoa C
    20 Greg Mauldin C
    23 Milan Hejduk RW
    54 David Jones RW
    18 Brandon Yip RW
    7 David Van Der Gulik LW
    55 Cody McLeod LW

Should see a better result tonight with some more regulars in the lineup. Our top 2 lines should be on display... Lindstrom-Stastny-Jones and Mueller-Duchene-Hejduk.

3rd line: McLoed-McClement-Stoa
    4th line: Van Der Gulik - Mauldin - Yip

Stoa and Yip will probably move around...

D pairings?? No idea haha

EJ - Siemens
    Gaunce - Elliott
    Barrie - Liffiton/Chouinard

Of nots for STL... both Shattenkirk and C.Stewart are not in the lineup tonight.
    W|GAA|SV

Tier 1

Dobber Sports Star

Avs lose 3-2 to the Blues. A fairly pitiful performance, pre-season or not. If you can only score 2 goals (1 was with less than a minute left in the game) against a goalie that's going to be playing in the AHL this year (nothing against J.Allen, he's quite talented). Not good enough fellas. Luckily, it's still early

Yip broke his forearm blocking a shot. This has zero fantasy significance as he was going to be in the AHL for the year anyways.

Hejda injured himself during the annual intra-squad game on Wednesday. Should be out 2-4 weeks with a knee injury.

Elliott played a really good game tonight, and has essentially surpassed guys like Cumiskey and Hunwick, but will probably follow a similar path as Shattenkirk last year if he doesn't crack the opening day roster. Worst case, he's up by mid-November.
    W|GAA|SV

Tier 1

Dobber Sports Star

Latest from Avs camp:

Landy moves up to top line in practice.. Playing with Stastny and Jones, should get a look in tonight's preseason game vs LA. Lindstrom was on L3 with O'Reilly and Winnik.

Hejda skated in practice in an orange non contact jersey yesterday, looks like he is ahead of his estimated return and should be back in the lineup prior to the start of the season vs DET on Saturday. How does this affect Elliott making the opening day roster?? Stay tuned as the next couple of preseason games should be an indication.

Latest cuts from Avs camp: Holos, Stoa, and Gaunce. I believe Olver has been cut as well.
    W|GAA|SV

Tier 1

Dobber Sports Star

Olver is still in camp, just hasn't dressed in the pre season yet.
    W|GAA|SV

Tier 1

Banned

Mapletree

what are you expectations for Varlamov in terms of wins this year.

I drafted him as a 4th goalie, but mainly because of potential trade bait.

However, if he's gonna put up close to 30 wins and perhaps 4 shutouts, I may keep him rather than trade him.

Have any opinion on him?

Cheers
    Dutch

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Mapletree

what are you expectations for Varlamov in terms of wins this year.

I drafted him as a 4th goalie, but mainly because of potential trade bait.

However, if he's gonna put up close to 30 wins and perhaps 4 shutouts, I may keep him rather than trade him.

Have any opinion on him?

Cheers
    Dutch
    I am trying to not allow last nights dismal performance influence my opinion.
    The biggest issue for Varly this year won't be staying injury free, but maintaining consistency. The Avs don't have a full time goalie coach, they have McLean as a consultant, who is around only 10 days out of the year which is not enough. After a game like last night he needs someone there to go over tape and talk about angles and teach on the ice. Varly is very young and talented but if performances like that stew with him for 5 days until McLean shows up it will be detrimental to his continuing development.

Now it is just preseason, but my confidence has decreased a little. A few days ago I would have said the odds of Varly getting 30 wins would be 75%, I will bump that down to 50%. The biggest issue last night was the Avs PK giving up 3 goals on 5 PP's...it was more like 4 as one was scored as a penalty expired. They were without their top 2 PK'ers, but it just looked a lot like a game from last year. Strong first period with chances but couldn't get on the board and as soon as a couple fall in they seemed to pack it in.

Two guys who didnt pack it in were Landy and Barrie.

In a nutshell, I think Giggy will play more than I originally expected. Varly will only hit 30 wins if he gets hot and is able to remain consistent, which early indications aren't entirely in his favor, but it is just preseason.
    W|GAA|SV

Tier 1

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

do you think Elliott will make the team and will he be on the top PP?

Dobber Sports Star

Avs just reassigned 4 to Lake Erie:

Malone, Bordeleau, Cann, and Barrie. Team is now at 27.

Very impressive showing last night against LA. Yes it's only pre-season, but it was nice to nip losing ways in the bud heading into the season opener. This is not the same team from last year.

Last nights D pairings:
    EJ - Hejda
    O'Brien - Quincey
    O'Byrne - Wilson

They were able to hold the Kings to 16 shots on goal.

Third line of Winnik OReilly Landeskog was buzzing around the net, Landy has been creating chances and once he starts converting should help his confidence. His energy and hustle every shift is exciting to see, and creates turnovers. Sacco has had him out on the PK lots.

The last 2 Games it seems as a light has turned on again in Kobasew's head as he has played like the 20 goal scorer he has been, and very effective agitating opponents.

The last spot on D is going to come down to Elliott versus Hunwick, personally I believe they need Hunwick's 1.6 million to stay above the cap floor, especially if Lindstrom and his 600K make the team. This will make Elliott the first recall from Lake Erie once an injury occurs.
    W|GAA|SV

Tier 1

Dobber Sports Star

I never thought I would write anything positive about Kobasew.
    W|GAA|SV

Tier 1

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Hey guys,
    I don't know much about EJ so i was wondering if you guys can give me fair projections for the upcoming season. i know he's clear #1 D and will get plenty of PP chances but thats it.

does he have a big shot? what are his point projections? how are his peripherals? how has he looked in pre-season (for some reason i can't see some of the game stats).

im debating taking him over guys like whitney, girardi, robidas, zidlicky in a league that counts points +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, BLK and Hits

thx in advance avs fans