Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Colorado Avalanche

Dobber Sports Genius

I still think the trading of Stewart was one of the biggest mistakes they've ever made as an organization. Stewart was a stud across the board. I'd kill to have him on the Sharks. I like EJ's upside for the future, but sending Shattenkirk as well was a slap to the face to the Avs fans. They were so close to be a solid playoff team and that set them back. I'm still confused as to what they were thinking with that one.
    Sites: www.twitter.com/tsgraveline tsgraveline.blogspot.com thesharkremarks.blogspot.com

Team 1:10 Multi-Cat Roto league

C- Malkin,Giroux,Thornton Galchenyuk, Schenn, Berglund, Eller
    LW- Hall,Ovechkin, E.Kane Saad
    RW- Seguin, Stewart, PAP
    D- Subban,Phaneuf Keith, OEL, Hedman,
    G- Pavelec,Hiller Lindback, Theodore, Lehner

Team 2:24 H2H League Multi-Cat

C- Weiss, Galchenyuk, Desharnais, Vitale
    LW- Parise, Bailey, Torres, King, Bissonnette
    RW- Ovechkin, Clowe, Asham, Gagner
    D- Boyle, Klesla, Souray, Hjalmarsson, Niskanen, Hickey, Lovejoy, Potter
    G-Holtby, Halak

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by GMGates View Post
    That said, how does the EJ vs. Shattenkirk / Stewart deal really affect the Avs going into next season? Do you think Jones can make up for Stewart's loss up front?
    In terms of goals, yes, 30 goal potential but not the same ceiling.

Also in regards to losing Stewart, they could've kept him and drafted Larsson instead of trading for EJ. The problem I have with EJ is that although he's been better since he came over to Colorado than how he was in STL this year, he still makes some stupid plays when he's going through the neutral zone. I dunno if his offensive ceiling is high enough to be an elite number one dman although he will be on Colorado. Now they're gonna likely draft a winger or convert a centre like Huberdeau to wing which isn't as effective as drafting Larsson and keeping Stewart. They may draft Larsson regardless and I wouldn't expect him to do much offensively any time soon and it wouldn't be good for Barrie/Elliot's production (Gaunce/Chouinard have some offensive potential too).

Whether or not Fleischmann re-signs imo will be a bigger factor for 11-12 than whether they draft a forward with the 2nd pick or not (the 11th pick is likely gonna be sent back to junior). I think the Avs should take a forward with the 2nd pick and a dman with the 11th, possibly Siemens.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by GMGates View Post
    That said, how does the EJ vs. Shattenkirk / Stewart deal really affect the Avs going into next season? Do you think Jones can make up for Stewart's loss up front?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sportfreunde View Post
    In terms of goals, yes, 30 goal potential but not the same ceiling.

Also in regards to losing Stewart, they could've kept him and drafted Larsson instead of trading for EJ. The problem I have with EJ is that although he's been better since he came over to Colorado than how he was in STL this year, he still makes some stupid plays when he's going through the neutral zone. I dunno if his offensive ceiling is high enough to be an elite number one dman although he will be on Colorado. Now they're gonna likely draft a winger or convert a centre like Huberdeau to wing which isn't as effective as drafting Larsson and keeping Stewart. They may draft Larsson regardless and I wouldn't expect him to do much offensively any time soon and it wouldn't be good for Barrie/Elliot's production (Gaunce/Chouinard have some offensive potential too).

Whether or not Fleischmann re-signs imo will be a bigger factor for 11-12 than whether they draft a forward with the 2nd pick or not (the 11th pick is likely gonna be sent back to junior). I think the Avs should take a forward with the 2nd pick and a dman with the 11th, possibly Siemens.
    Jones can replace Stewie in terms of being a 30g 30a type of player...Stewart definitely has higher upside than that, but Jones doesn't take any shifts or games off. That was the main thing management noticed during their losing streak this past winter. It became very apparent that the Avs also get manhandled in their own zone. They haven't had that 6'3" 220lbs presence in their own zone since Blake left.

There is a premium to pay for d-men with that size, who can eat up 26-28 mins per night, that are mobile like EJ and can chip in offensively. Not to mention the potential of being a first overall pick. Personally I believe EJ has more offensive upside than Larsson. Just for those wondering why the Avs did not just stand pat and draft him.

With Jones stepping up management felt that Stewart was expendable and with the emergence of Pietrangelo left a small window of opportunity to grab EJ.

The Avs have a history of going off the board in the draft.. So that 11 pick could be another surprise, or someone falls out of the top 10 to them like Fowler and Gormley last season.

Also I would keep an eye out for Ryan Stoaa lot of people are giving up on him, but he is a late bloomer and is on a similar development curve as Jones was, who didn't do much until he was 24.

Look forward to talking more Avs with you guys as the draft draws near.

Thanks for all the welcomes!
    [color=#008000]24 Team / 3 Tier Roto League
    G|A|+/-|PIM|PPP|SOG|Hits|BS
    W|GAA|SV

Tier 1
    C: Tavares, Duchene, JStaal, Marner, Grigorenko, Dubois, Barzal
    LW: Landeskog, Teravainen, Pearson, Wilson, Pulkkinen, Bittner
    RW: PKane, Gaborik, Virtanen, Rantanen, Stewart, Sprong, Chiasson, Vey
    D: OEL, Barrie, Bogosian, Larsson, McNabb, Oduya, Bigras
    G: Bobrovsky, Korpisalo, Hutton, Hellberg

Dobber Sports Star

Also the Avs need a game breaking forward and that is what I could see Huberdeau turning into. The kid finds a way to score when his team needs it most. Stewart does not have that ability, he can't do much without a strong supporting cast.
    W|GAA|SV

Tier 1

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by mapletreemarty View Post
    Also the Avs need a game breaking forward and that is what I could see Huberdeau turning into. The kid finds a way to score when his team needs it most. Stewart does not have that ability, he can't do much without a strong supporting cast.
    You'll need to fight Big Ev for him, he's gone on record in the Sens thread with his prediction. May the best poster win

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by MoreCanadianTeams View Post
    You'll need to fight Big Ev for him, he's gone on record in the Sens thread with his prediction. May the best poster win
    Haha, that's quite alright. Good thing we pick 4 spots ahead of Big Ev
    W|GAA|SV

Tier 1

Dobber Sports Star

Avs fans are cringing after tonight's Memorial Cup Game. Joey Hishon got caught with a nasty elbow from McNabb (he got 5 and a game for the head shot). Got helped off the ice a little bloodied up, but the last thing we need is a concussion scare having to deal with Mueller all year and Cumiskey for a part of the year as well.
    W|GAA|SV

Tier 1

Dobber Sports Star

Hishon missed tonight's Memorial Cup game after the hit sustained from McNabb (received 1 game suspension). No word on whether any sort of concussion was sustained, just that he got his bell rung and should be okay. The Attack have a day off before facing off against 1-1 Mississauga in the final round robin game on Wednesday.

Edit: TSN reporting that Hishon was scratched due to a concussion... Oh that is just terrific..
    Last edited by mapletreemarty; May 24, 2011 at 12:11 AM.
    W|GAA|SV

Tier 1

Dobber Sports Star

Huberdeau possibly getting drafted at #2 to the Avs???

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2011...-at-no-2/7281/

It seems like the draft has been so far away that the Avs may starting to re-think Landeskog at #2. I guess that's what happens when one top prospect is still playing, and all the others have been bounced from the CHL playoffs.
    W|GAA|SV

Tier 1

Dobber Sports Star

A bleacher report article summing up some of the Leafs Avs trade talk for this off season, especially if B. Richards doesn't land in TO as a UFA...

The following trade proposal just sounds ridiculous to me...

"Colorado trades Paul Stastny John-Michael Liles, 11th overall pick, 153rd overall pick to Toronto.

Toronto trades Nazem Kadri, Jonas Gustavsson, Mike Komisarek, Tyler Bozak, Carl Gunnarsson, Jiraj Mikus, 25th overall pick, 39th overall pick and 86th overall pick."

Wow... it seems so realistic for the Avs to trade a top line all star center, a 50 pt. potential PMD, and an 11th overall pick? For a prospect, a goalie who has heart problems and is turning into F. Brunnstrom between the pipes, an expensive pylon, another hyped UFA signing out of college, I actually have nothing against Gunnarsson, and a bunch of mediocore picks.

The Avs need to move Stewart and Shatty to get a franchise D... meanwhile the Leafs can get a top line C for some spare parts, and mediocore potential.

Other deals discussed:
    Gustavsson, Bozak, Late 1st rounder this year, and one of D'Amigo, Frattin, or Mueller
    for
    Stastny

add in Gunnarsson and 39th overall, possibly upgrade the prospect while the Avs side throws in Liles and their 11th overall?? ummm yeah okay

Here's the article:
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/7...he-maple-leafs

-----------

On a side note it will be interesting to see who the Avs keep on their blueline. Currently EJ, Liles, Gaunce, and Quincey are under contract for next season. Elliott should make the team so that would probably mean 2 other guys get re-signed of Hunwick, Cumiskey, O'Byrne, and Wilson. EJ, Liles and Elliott can move the puck so I don't really see any use for Hunwick or Cumiskey... They need O'Byrne's size on the back end especially in their own zone, as long as he doesn't take too many stupid penalties. Ryan Wilson would be a perfect 7th d-man. Tyson Barrie would probably be the first guy called up from the AHL...

That means essentially bye bye to Cumiskey or Hunwick, however Avs management wants to be at the cap floor again this year to head into the new CBA with very little committment in terms of salary, and lots of wiggle room depending on what the new NHL landscape will entail.

With that in mind, Liles is probably going to be shopped especially at the draft, to free up some $$ in that if the Avs do go after a starting goalie with a larger price tag they can remain near the cap floor.

If Liles gets moved and no D is coming back that could open up to Hunwick getting re-signed... I would stay away from Cumiskey as the Avs have enough headaches dealing with concussions in their organization... (terrible pun, I know).
    W|GAA|SV

Tier 1

Dobber Sports Star

Default Avs Pre-Draft Special

This video is now posted on the website, that can be found here: http://video.avalanche.nhl.com/video...17088&catid=-6

I plan on watching it when I'm not at work haha.

Interesting little transcript (courtesy of MHH) of the Avs scouts chatting about some of the prospects:

Scouts’ Meeting:

Rick Pracey: The goal of the next couple of days is as always. This first meeting is probably to get the framework kind of 60% along our way. Our North American staff is here; our European staff will join us at the Combine. We will integrate our lists at that point in time.

The key is, especially at this point and time, is to stick to our strengths, stick to what we believe in. Fullest will be on the philosophy of best player available. Key is always, from our mandate, it's skill; it’s compete; it’s character. So when we’re putting these players in order, that is the primary focus. I guess the best way to start is to start looking at number two.

The OHL and WHL were represented very well in both our top pick and the 11th pick. The Europeans, we still need to keep that on the side. We know we still have a lot of interest in Adam Larsson. But for the discussion in this meeting let’s concentrate on North America, but make no mistake about it: Adam Larsson is a player that is someone we have a great deal of interest in.

I would like to start by talking about the top player in Ontario, Gabriel Landeskog.

Brad Smith: Well, we’ve talked before. He’s a character guy. He’s also a guy that has character and skill which is a rare combination. And he’s a power forward, so he brings all the three things to the table we’re looking for, no question about it.

Guy Perron: One other thing that he does well is get around in the blue paint. His size definitely helps us. I like him.

Pracey: He certainly does have some power in his game.

Smith: And I mean a character character character guy. He’s obviously Swedish born so they made him captain. He’s the first captain in Kitchener Rangers that is a 17-year-old and is a European. So this guy does it at both ends of the ice. He fights hard; he’ll fight, fight, stick up for his teammates. Not that fighting is a big part of it, he only had three all year, but they were all for sticking up for teammates. And he can score. He’s got a heavy shot. He takes the puck to the net. This guy is just an all-around player. There’s so much upside to this guy it’s scary.

Pracey: Okay, the top player in the West was Hopkins. Donny? With all your years of experience, talk to us about Ryan Nugent-Hopkins.

Don Paarup: Well right now there’s as much interest in him among all of the scouts as there was, say, in Dany Heatley when he was playing…up there. This kid offensively sees the ice as well as anybody I’ve seen in 20 years. His puck reaction, his creativity, and his mechanics are just outstanding, and as far as I’m concerned, I haven’t seen a kid like this in many years, as far as offense is concerned.

Pracey: Is there anybody in this room that thinks that Nugent-Hopkins’ offense won’t translate?

(silence)

Pracey: I’ll take that as a no. Hopkins will be up against Larsson. Hopkins will be up against Landeskog. Our top player in Quebec was Couturier. You want to speak to Couturier, Guy?

Perron: Yes, he, last year, he led the league in scoring as an underage. He’s a big forward, centerman. This year was pretty close to his numbers as last year with ten less games. He had mono and a slow start. Definitely is a big forward that draws, protects the puck well down low. Definitely MVP of the league this year in the Q. Definitely the top part of the draft.

Pracey: Quickly around the room, any concerns on Couturier?

Smith: The problem is he plays so much. It’s every second shift. There is a little bit of standing around, but I’m not too sure if that’s basically because he plays so much.

Rick Lanz: (unable to hear question)

Smith: Just tired. He plays thirty minutes a night because he’s on every second shift. And he’s holding people off, he’s down low, he’s got people on his back, and he’s so big and strong - or so big and he can hold people off, but then they get it. It doesn’t translate sometimes into pushing the pace all the time. He’s kind of the guy that slows it down and draws people to him to make the play. It’s not push the pace. That would be a concern, but I think it will improve as he gets stronger. These kids are 18-years-old, so he will get stronger. But it would be some little bit of concern there.

Pracey: In terms of body type and game, I know you hate this sometimes, but we’ve been drawing some comparisons to Corey Perry or Bobby Ryan because the size and the skill is evident, but the skating was a knock on both kids in their years. Do we see Couturier’s offense as high end as Perry’s and Ryan’s?

Perron: I would say yes.

Pracey: You would say yes? Well one question I want to bring up is that we talked about Couturier at length. There’s been a lot of momentum generated by Huberdeau in St. John. Guy, real quick on Huberdeau and how do you compare him to Couturier?

Perron: Well I think that this guy has been very good throughout the year. Hockey sense, creativity with the puck, down-in-low guy who will get in tough areas and who will get the big goals. St. Johns (is) probably going to have a lot of traffic this year. They have a good team and probably will end up in the Memorial Cup, so…and he’s a big part of it.

Smith: I guess the way you look at it, too, is for Couturier, it’s his third year in the league; that’s where he’s getting back. He’s older. It’s his third year in the league cuz he was (born) in ‘92. This is only (Huberdeau’s) second year in the league. So if he tracks the same way Couturier does at that next level, and he takes it to that next level, maybe he--

(unnamed scout): That’s more of the point. Is Couturier kind of tired of doing this, too?

Smith: Well it’s his NHL draft year. I mean, if you want to be that player, you better come to perform every night.

(unnamed scout): A good point.

Smith: I’d understand that if this isn’t his NHL draft year, and he’s been there five years cuz he’s underage, and this and that, then maybe, but that to me doesn’t hold water because it’s his NHL draft year. Couturier went to play at the World Junior, and he did all this stuff. There’s got to be some kind of excitement; you can’t be bored. You’ve got to come and play.
    Interesting, in terms of Couturier comparisons to Perry or Ryan in their draft years..

Nice to know that the Avs will be going with BPA... although their BPA isn't always in line with what a lot of other teams are thinking which I like to see, some out of the box thinking.

They are really talking up Landeskog, and not going too in depth on Huberdeau... this was aired prior to the Mem Cup and Hubs has continued to rise, so I'm wondering if their thinking is changing any?? Or is this whole loving Landeskog thing a bit of a smokescreen.

Also from a Sherman interview section when asked about dealing the 2nd overall pick he goes on to say "....I anticipate that could be a possibility, but, you know, given our plan and what we have in place right now, what we’re continuing to look to build around the Matt Duchene, Ryan O’Reilly, Erik Johnson. These players, it’s gonna, it would have to be something beyond significant. But that being said, we will wait to see when we get in that atmosphere."

Very interesting that he mentions Ryan O'Reilly as he has been rumored to be perhaps on the move (dating back to the trade deadline). Looks like he'll be staying put and there have been talks of trying to move O'Reilly up into the top 6 and moving most likely Duchene to the wing to try and how things will play out... depending of course what the final roster will look like come the end of September.
    Last edited by mapletreemarty; June 7, 2011 at 8:22 AM.
    W|GAA|SV

Tier 1

Dobber Sports Star

Been out of town for a bit and trying to catch up a little.

The Avs have signed Joakim Lindstrom recently and it is believed that Flash will not be re-signed. Although his agent says Flash is good to go, team medical personnel have not given him clearance as of yet. With the signing, rumblings of a winger being taken at 2nd overall, and Mueller being ready for training camp it sounds like the Avs will pass on Flash.

Speaking of Mueller, his concussion has fully healed and according to a concussion expert on the east coast once it has fully healed there is no scientific proof saying a repeat concussion is more likely. That is usually the case when players return too early into action. Some sugar coating by the Avs perhaps? Who knows we'll see this season.

Back to Lindstrom unlike failed Euro experiments Ledin and Hlinka, Lindstrom was brought over to crack the top 6. He has offensive talent and in his last NHL action with Phoenix, 20 pts in 44 gp for a rookie on a defensive squad is quite on par when you put it into perspective. Here's hoping his offensive game translates from his recent SEL stint. Even if the transition is a little rough at first he does not shy away from the physical aspect of the game and should remain effective by contributing in other areas. Definitely a guy to keep an eye on.

Stastny trade rumors are picking up wind again. If the Oilers happen to go with Larsson and the Avs will grab RNH the rumors will increase quite rapidly.

Hope everyone is getting pumped for the draft tomorrow, should be a dandy.
    W|GAA|SV

Tier 1

Dobber Sports Grand Master

RNH will be gone to Oilers... heard rumblings of the Avs taking Huberdeau though.

Either way, can't complain about Larsson or Huberdeau (or Landeskog if you think the Avs will take him early).

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    RNH will be gone to Oilers... heard rumblings of the Avs taking Huberdeau though.

Either way, can't complain about Larsson or Huberdeau (or Landeskog if you think the Avs will take him early).
    I have heard all three mentioned numerous times to the point that I don't really care much anymore which one they select. I would prefer Landy or Hubs personally. The Avs had their draft list set as of Monday.

I really hope they also decide against moving Stastny.
    W|GAA|SV

Tier 1

Dobber Sports Pro

what are the av's gonna do about a goalie/goalies?

Do you think they make a pitch for bob/schneider/harding?

Vokoun maybe if Tallon doesn't sign him?
    NA Hockey League 16 team H2H league multicat
    2010/2011 2014/2015 Champs

Saad, Kesler, Monahan, Ladd, T. Johnson, Hoffman, Neiderrieter, D. Sedin, O'Reilly, Hudler

Wideman, Barrie, Stralman, Muzzin, Enstrom, Vatanen

Miller, Lack, Elliot