Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Colorado Avalanche

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

You see things another way? I will give you that Stastny needed a shakeup up to a point, but that need disappeared in 2012. He didn't suck the entire year. Sacco found a line where he works well. So then why mess with what works?
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Star

I like Slufoot's lines and those will be the most logical going forward.

Someone had posted a fourth line of McLoed-Mitchell-Kobasew....

Personally I don't see Kobasew on that 4th line, a fiesty energy guy like Olver will out play Kobasew who will spend most of his time in the press box, until an injury is forth coming.

A lot of Avs fans are a little disappointed in the teams' offseason. Parenteau was great but were hoping for a little more than just Zanon and Mitchell as depth signings.

I guess what a lot of people forget is that they made some great moves at the deadline by bringing in Downie and McGinn, whom with a full healthy season should thrive in Colorado.

Stastny should bounce back to his 70 pt. ways. The quality of his wingers isn't what it once was, but Jones and McGinn should both be able to pot 20-25 goals this season. He put up 32 pts. in 42 games in 2012, and the chemistry with Jones and McGinn was obvious.

Duchene played injured last season, and him back at 100% should see him get back on track and 65+ points. The benefit of having Parenteau on his line is that Duchene won't feel the need to do it all himself, which was a common theme last season. Parenteau is a solid playmaker who will get Duchene the puck, and Duchene has the speed to get into open spaces and into good scoring opportunities. 14 goals and 37 points is not the way Hejduk wanted to finish his career and he should come back to score 20 goals with a healthy Duchene and Parenteau playing the easy minutes.

Ryan O'Reilly is a terrific hockey player, but it looked like he was tired nearing the stretch run for the Avs. Playing night in and night out against the other teams' top offensive units and still being looked at to carry the offensive load took its toll. He finished the year with 5 points in 18 games, and he had 50 pts. at the end of February in 63 games.

Hopefully Landy can continue to build on his Calder season for next year.

I think Varlamov really established him in the last couple of months of the season, and the biggest improvement that needs to come from this team is Erik Johnson on the blueline. 4 goals and 26 points just isn't good enough. 5 goals by a D-man was tops on the team last year thanks to Jan Hejda and the departed Kyle Quincey. EJ and the way he'll run the PP will be big keys for the Avs next season. Especially when you look at the lack of offense from the blueline: Wilson, O'Brien, Hejda, O'Byrne, Zanon, and Hunwick don't exactly jump out off the page to cement a spot on either of the PP units.

If Elliott or Barrie do enough in training camp to stay up with the club to help with the offensive part of the game than Hunwick could find himself in the press box along with another D man perhaps getting traded.

Based on a sub par year from Stastny, EJ, Mueller, Jones and Hejduk, and the injuries to Duchene the fact that this team was only 7 points out of a playoff spot (thanks mostly in part by Landeskog and O'Reilly) is pretty remarkable. For next season, they just need their best players to be their best players.

Finally, Joey Hishon has been cleared to resume activities back at the start of June, so if all goes well, he should be playing hockey this fall. Also 2nd round draft pick Mitchell Heard being 20 years old already could knock out Kobasew from that 4th line spot if he impresses in camp the way he did last season in Toronto.

Also, it's nice to be back
    [color=#008000]24 Team / 3 Tier Roto League
    G|A|+/-|PIM|PPP|SOG|Hits|BS
    W|GAA|SV

Tier 1
    C: Tavares, Duchene, JStaal, Marner, Grigorenko, Dubois, Barzal
    LW: Landeskog, Teravainen, Pearson, Wilson, Pulkkinen, Bittner
    RW: PKane, Gaborik, Virtanen, Rantanen, Stewart, Sprong, Chiasson, Vey
    D: OEL, Barrie, Bogosian, Larsson, McNabb, Oduya, Bigras
    G: Bobrovsky, Korpisalo, Hutton, Hellberg

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by mapletreemarty View Post
    Also, it's nice to be back
    Welcome back Marty!

" You said you don't give a f*ck about hockey. I've never heard anyone say that before."

Dobber Sports Ninja

Avalanche just re-signed Giggy...one year $1.5M

Colorado Avalanche ‏@NHL_Avalanche__
    Colorado Avalanche have re-signed goaltender Jean-Sebastien Giguere to one-year deal worth $1.5 mil.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Avs sign Mitchell Heard to his 3-year ELC

http://avalanche.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=639768

Dobber Sports Guru

I like the line combos above (as a Stastny owner).
    Looking at an un-owned O'Reilly in our league, what's a realistic expectation for him going forward. Can he be a 50 point guy on a third line? Chance to be more?

I look at guys like Pavelski, Sharp and Kesler that were pegged as 3rd liners and 2-way guys early and they have done a lot more. I'm thinking J. Staal joins them this year. But O'Reilly would need a top 6 spot and Duchene and Stastny seem to have the middle all locked up.

In our points-only dynasty, a 50 point O'Reilly is worth owning. A 40 point third liner isn't.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Apprentice

A 50-point O'Reilly is only around when Matt Duchene is out or not performing to his fullest. To take an excerpt from Dobber's Guide on the Duchene-O'Reilly relation:

"When Duchene was out of the lineup, O’Reilly tallied 19 points in 23 games (0.83). When he was in the lineup, O’Reilly managed 36 in 58 (0.62). A healthy Duchene hurts O’Reilly. Do not overrate O’Reilly."

Hate to give out something from the guide just like, but also dont want to claim the stats as my own. Bit of a catch 22.

Taking his pace when Duchene is out of the line, we see he's a 50 point player (when playing 82 games). However, we need to consider that Duchene was having an off year, so O'Reilly was given more opportunites even with Duchene in the line up. Duchene should bounce back this year, and in my opinion Stastny (to a lesser extent), both of which will take away even more opportunity from O'Reilly. This leads me to believe his point total will drop by 7-10 points, making him a 40 point player.

Either way, O'Reilly drops down the depth charts with a healthy Duchene. The top-6 in Colorado will look something more along the lines of:

Landeskog - Duchene - Parenteau
    Jones (or McGinn) - Stastny - Hedjuk

That's the way I see it playing out, whether it be those lines specifically or not, that is likely your top-6 with O'Reilly as the odd man out.

He'll benefit from some 2nd unit PP time, but keep in mind that the Avs were the team with the least PP opportunities in the league last season. I think these things have a tendency to repeat themselves, especially when a roster is just slightly changed. The Avs aren't a tenacious team, so likely won't draw a large number of penalties.
    Last edited by TwoPuckCanuck; August 15, 2012 at 10:09 AM.
    GMHL Dynasty
    14 Team H2H 27-Pro/20-Farm
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 7BN, 4IR+
    G, A, PTS, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG,SOG, HITS, BLKS, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: Mike Ribeiro, Patrik Elias, Tyler Johnson, Stephen Weiss, Steve Ott, Jarret Stoll
    LW: Gabriel Landeskog, Mats Zuccarello, Marcus Johansson, RJ Umberger, Matt Cooke, Justin Abdelkader
    RW: Troy Brouwer, Daniel Alfredsson, Erik Cole, Shane Doan, Jackob Silfverberg
    D: Dustin Byfuglien, Brent Seabrook, Joni Pitkanen, Erik Gudbranson, Matt Carle, Dmitri Orlov, Seth Jones, Hampus Lindholm
    G: Henrik Lundqvist, Anton Khudobin, Jason LaBarbera, Devan Dubnyk, Anders Lindback

Dobber Sports Stud

The difference is Sacco doesn't roll a traditional top-6. He basically rolls out 3 2nd lines and whichever unit is clicking on any given night gets the lion's share of icetime. For that reason, I'd say O'Reilly is a perennial 50 point threat. He scored less when Duchene was in the lineup, but the other side of the coin is that the team was winning those games, and losing more often than not when Duchene was playing more and scoring.

This is a big year for Duchene, he has a lot to prove. If he steps up to carry the offensive load, big things are in store for the Avs. If he doesn't I don't think it'll be long before either Sacco is fired or Duchene is shipped out.
    20 Team Pool Points Keeper
    G =1,A=1,PPG=1,PPA=0.5, SHG=1,GWG=1,PIM=0.1,+/-=0.25
    Goalie cats (W=2, SO=3, SV=0.05)

F: Malkin, B.Richards, Franzen, D.Brown, Boedker, Zajac, Atkinson, Scheifele, Read, Boyes
    D: Green, Schultz, Faulk, Goligoski
    G: Crawford

Dobber Sports Ninja

Just read this report on O'Reilly's contract situation

“Factor” is an restricted free agent who is coming off his three-year, entry-level contract, and a breakout 2011-12 season in which he led the Avs in scoring and was tops in the NHL with 104 takeaways. Word is he wants a five-year deal and the Avs are only offering three. He figures to make between $3 million and $4.5 million annually.
    http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2012...tuation/11359/

I find it odd that two years is stalling the contract talks. I would want a guy like O'Reilly locked up long-term personally. Then again, I'm not a business guy lol.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    I find it odd that two years is stalling the contract talks. I would want a guy like O'Reilly locked up long-term personally. Then again, I'm not a business guy lol.
    I agree with you, this guy is a great 2-way player. I don't follow closely the Avs, maybe some of the knowledgeable people of this thread could comment... but I feel like Stastny is kind of stalling the progression of Duchene and O'Reilly. In the case of Duchene, results were terrible last year. Sacco didn't give him any loose leash to go and do his wizardry, relying more on a proven Statsny and a reliable ROR. In the case of O'Reilly, he had a great season but I feel he could develop even more offensively, think Tomas Plekanec for example.
    Points-only keeper league. 12 teams. Keep any 12 players. Dress 12F - 6D - 2G.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    5 years would take him to UFA while 3 years would have him as RFA after the contract. 5 years would also buy one UFA year so I'm sure that drives up the cap hit too by a one million or so.
    UHL Pittsburgh Penguins

24 Team Fantrax Salary Cap H2H Dynasty League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    , Hits, Blks, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO
    23 Man Roster - 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 1G, 4BN, 4IR
    27 Man Minor Team

C-
    Tavares, Stepan, Granlund, Bjugstad, Couturier
    LW- Ryan, Perron, Ennis, Killorn, Spaling
    RW-
    Wheeler, Simmonds, Coyle, Wingels, Shaw
    D-
    JJ, Schultz, Cowen, Muzzin, Bortuzzo, Stanton
    G- Lehtonen, Rämö

F: Lehterä, Wennberg,
    McNeill, de la Rose, Fast, Leivo, Arnold, Archibald, Lindström
    D: Gelinas, Beaulieu, Koekkoek, McCabe, Johns, Gryba
    G: Berra, Talbot, Brossoit, Ullmark, Lieuwen, Rynnäs

*UHL Champion 2014*

Dobber Sports Pro

an updates on Oreilly?
    he signed 2 years overseas, but didn't have a contract for the Avs yet?
    IDHL League 28 team H2H league multicat full keeper
    Rebuilding

Cooley, Guenther, Hoglander, Lundell, Quinn, Voronkov, Stankoven, Carlsson

Hutson, Zellweger, Clarke, Miller, Xhekai, Malinski, Thrun

Skinner, Dostal, Hofer

Beck, Bolduc, Dumais, Gaucher, Gunler, Pervalov
    Ufko, Benning, Del Mastro, Peart, Grudinin

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I'm pretty sure I remember reading about an NHL out clause.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Pro

I believe you are correct about the out clause, just wondering if the AVS have offered him a contract or not.

Could be it to soon.
    IDHL League 28 team H2H league multicat full keeper
    Rebuilding

Cooley, Guenther, Hoglander, Lundell, Quinn, Voronkov, Stankoven, Carlsson

Hutson, Zellweger, Clarke, Miller, Xhekai, Malinski, Thrun

Skinner, Dostal, Hofer

Beck, Bolduc, Dumais, Gaucher, Gunler, Pervalov
    Ufko, Benning, Del Mastro, Peart, Grudinin

Dobber Sports Veteran

Avs need to jump on the train and offer him a good contract.
    Yahoo 1 Year Leagues:
    G, A, PIM, +/-, PPP, SOG, HIT
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G, 4Bn, 1IR