Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: CHL 2011 Memorial Cup

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default CHL 2011 Memorial Cup

The CHL's Memorial Cup will get underway starting off friday evening with the Mississauga Majors vs. Saint John Sea Dogs

Participating Teams

Saint John Sea Dogs (QMJHL)
    Owen Sound Attack (OHL)
    Kootenay Ice (WHL)
    Mississauga St.Michael's Majors (OHL )

2011 MasterCard Memorial Cup Schedule (All times are Eastern):

Round-Robin Game 1 – QMJHL vs. Mississauga on Friday May 20, 2011 at 7:00 pm
    Round-Robin Game 2 – OHL vs. WHL on Saturday May 21, 2011 at 7:00 pm
    Round-Robin Game 3 – Mississauga vs. WHL on Sunday May 22, 2011 at 7:00 pm
    Round-Robin Game 4 – OHL vs. QMJHL on Monday May 23, 2011 at 7:00 pm
    Round-Robin Game 5 – WHL vs. QMJHL on Tuesday May 24, 2011 at 7:00 pm
    Round-Robin Game 6 – Mississauga vs. OHL on Wednesday May 25, 2011 at 7:00 pm

Tie-Breaker (if necessary) – Thursday May 26, 2011 at 7:00 pm

Semi-Final – Friday May 27, 2011 at 7:00 pm

Championship Final – Sunday May 29, 2011 at 7:00 pm

All Games will be televised on Rogers Sportsnet.

For ticket information and other information visit http://www.mastercardmemorialcup.com/

The Great One

It is going to be an exciting Memorial Cup with 4 very good teams involved. I've said this already in a few other discussions, but I expect Saint John to win it all. Hopefully Phillips is healthy and ready to return to the lineup because he is a big part of that team.

Of note, I think it is very impressive that Mississauga pretty much earned the right to be in the Memorial Cup by taking Owen Sound to 7 games. It is nice that the host won't be a push-over in the tournament.

The Great One

For what it is worth, here is a list of players I look forward to watching in this tournament.

From Saint John:

Huberdeau - solidified a top 5 (maybe even top 3) selection in the upcoming draft with his playoff performance

Phillips - a bit undersized, but an exciting offensive player; could be a first rounder (is ranked 9th overall by THN)

Galiev - the 3rd member of the most dangerous line in all of the CHL. A Washington prospect who is very fast, extremely gifted, and could be a treat to watch in the NHL someday

Beaulieau - a very under-rated dman in the upcoming draft. Very confident and offensively gifted.

Despres - Pittsburgh has a very nice prospect on their hands. He is likely going to be a solid #2 pairing dman for them and could be on the top PP unit with Letang someday soon.

From Mississauga:

Kitsyn - another talented LA prospect.

Cizikas - nice to see him keep his career on track despite the off-ice issues

From Owen Sound:

Joey Hishon - what a sparkplug. One of the best players in the OHL this year. Missed games due to injury problems, but if he can stay healthy Colorado has a nice 3rd liner who can chip in offensively.

Garrett Wilson - big body with a nice scoring touch.

From Kootenay:

Cody Eakin and Max Reinhart: those two lead a real lunchbox group who work hard and despite not being the most talented group beat a very good Portland team to win the WHL title. Fun to watch them hustle and compete every shift.
    Last edited by SeaDawg; May 16, 2011 at 2:29 PM.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    It is going to be an exciting Memorial Cup with 4 very good teams involved. I've said this already in a few other discussions, but I expect Saint John to win it all. Hopefully Phillips is healthy and ready to return to the lineup because he is a big part of that team.

Of note, I think it is very impressive that Mississauga pretty much earned the right to be in the Memorial Cup by taking Owen Sound to 7 games. It is nice that the host won't be a push-over in the tournament.
    Mississauga has been the HEAVY favourite out of the OHL all year. Mississauga had the more "talented" roster but Owen Sound played with more "heart". In the end, Owen Sound took Missy to seven games (trailing several times in the series) and won because of their hard work and heart.

All four teams are worthy to be in this team. I would've loved to see Portland get into the Memorial Cup as they have a lot of players I would love to watch (Niederreiter, Ross, Johansen, Bartschi, Morrow....).

On paper I would rank the teams:
    1. Saint John
    2. Mississauga St. Michael's
    3. Owen Sound
    4. Kootenay

The last CHL ranking of teams had them listed:
    1. Saint John
    3. Mississauga
    8. Owen Sound
    **Kootenay wasn't ranked in the CHL's Final Top 10**

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    For what it is worth, here is a list of players I look forward to watching in this tournament.

From Saint John:

Huberdeau - solidified a top 5 (maybe even top 3) selection in the upcoming draft with his playoff performance

Phillips - a bit undersized, but an exciting offensive player; could be a first rounder (is ranked 9th overall by THN)

Galiev - the 3rd member of the most dangerous line in all of the CHL. A Washington prospect who is very fast, extremely gifted, and could be a treat to watch in the NHL someday

Beaulieau - a very under-rated dman in the upcoming draft. Very confident and offensively gifted.

Despres - Pittsburgh has a very nice prospect on their hands. He is likely going to be a solid #2 pairing dman for them and could be on the top PP unit with Letang someday soon.

From Mississauga:

Kitsyn - another talented LA prospect.

Cizikas - nice to see him keep his career on track despite the off-ice issues

From Owen Sound:

Joey Hishon - what a sparkplug. One of the best players in the OHL this year. Missed games due to injury problems, but if he can stay healthy Colorado has a nice 3rd liner who can chip in offensively.

Garrett Wilson - big body with a nice scoring touch.

From Kootenay:

Cody Eakin and Max Reinhart: those two lead a real lunchbox group who work hard and despite not being the most talented group beat a very good Portland team to win the WHL title. Fun to watch them hustle and compete every shift.
    Good list

Add...

Saint John Sea Dogs
    - Tomas Jurco: crafty forward that should be picked in the top 50 this year

Owen Sound Attack
    - Jordan Binnington: The Attack used three different goaltenders in their playoff championship run. Binnington is their man now but its a situation to watch. Binnington is one of the better tenders available in the draft

- Joey Hishon: Very fun to watch but I wish he would shoot the puck more often. He will be right in the slot and pass it off sometimes.

- Jesse Blacker: The leafs' draft pick is an awesome skater. Fun defenseman to watch.

- Jarrod Maidens: The 2010 1st round selection of the Attack had a huge game seven (2 goals incl. OT GWG). He is the future of this franchise.

Mississauga Majors
    -
    JP Anderson: I want to see how he plays against the Sea Dogs. He has been good in the playoffs but the Sea Dogs should give him a huge test.

- Devante Smith-Pelly: He caught my eye last year playing in the O and I wasn't suprised to see Anaheim grab him with the 42nd pick. He's going to be a very good NHLer. Smith-Pelly is the Majors' leading playoff goal scorer.

- Justin Shugg: The Majors' cluth goal scorer has been phenomenal in the playoffs

- Brett Flemmington: Capitals' draft pick that seems to play a solid game all around.

Kootenay Ice
    - Max Reinhart: I haven't seen a lot of him so I will also be watching him play closely.

- Brayden McNabb: The Sabres look like they landed themselves a steal with this offensive dman.
    Last edited by Dean Youngblood; May 16, 2011 at 4:41 PM.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

The Memorial Cup starts tomorrow (Friday, May 20th) and there are plenty of opportunities to catch the games.

US NHL Network will be broadcasting a combination of live and time-delayed games over the ten day period.

Click the above link to see the schedule for broadcasting

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Sportsnet's Patrick King's Memorial Cup: Burning Questions

Some snippets,
    In fitting fashion, three of the four MasterCard Memorial Cup participants will be making history with their first inclusion in the tournament. The only team that has been here before are the Kootenay Ice, winners of the 2002 tournament, and participants in 2000.
    King's Burning Questions include:

Can the Attack win with three goaltenders?
    How much will Zack Phillips' injury impact Saint John?
    Can the Sea Dogs finally win one for the Q?
    Can the Mississauga St. Michael's Majors rebound from losing the OHL final?
    Are the Kootenay Ice this year's Cinderella team?

Check out the article for the responses

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

The first game of the Memorial Cup is underway (in the 3rd on Sportsnet TV) and the game has not disappointed from what I have heard.

Sea Dogs
    Jonathon Huberdeau (2011 eligible) has been fantastic at both ends of the rink (1G, 1A). This kid is going higher than most projected.
    Nathan Beaulieu(2011 eligible) has 1G, 1A
    Michael Kirkpatrick (undrafted) 1G, 2A
    Tomas Jurco (2011 eligible) has a goal

Majors
    Devante Smith-Pelly (Anaheim 2010) has 1G and 2 assists
    Stuart Percy (2011 eligible) has 3 assists and will likely be a top 20-30 pick in the draft after originally being projected as a 2nd/3rd rounder
    Casey Cizikas (Islanders 2009)

4-3 Sea Dogs with just under 4 minutes remaining in the 3rd.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Saint John Sea Dogs win 4-2 over the Mississauga Majors in the opening game. The Majors have now lost 5 of their last 6 games.

Next up: Owen Sound Attack (OHL Champs) vs. Kootenay Ice (WHL Champs) Saturday @ 7pm EST

Dobber Sports Master

I don't get to watch many CHL games, and none from the Q. But i watched some of it today. You are bang on about Huberdeau. Easily a top 5 pick IMO, fantastic game from him.
    "We've had a couple shakers in this place. This year we haven't had the time. We had a couple good ones last year, right?" - Phil Kessel

Dobber Sports Star

Man Hubs is really screwing with the Avs consensus 2nd pick overall of Landeskog.
    That Sea Dogs PP looks deadly...Beaulieau is definitely going top 10.. Columbus must be licking their chops.
    [color=#008000]24 Team / 3 Tier Roto League
    G|A|+/-|PIM|PPP|SOG|Hits|BS
    W|GAA|SV

Tier 1
    C: Tavares, Duchene, JStaal, Marner, Grigorenko, Dubois, Barzal
    LW: Landeskog, Teravainen, Pearson, Wilson, Pulkkinen, Bittner
    RW: PKane, Gaborik, Virtanen, Rantanen, Stewart, Sprong, Chiasson, Vey
    D: OEL, Barrie, Bogosian, Larsson, McNabb, Oduya, Bigras
    G: Bobrovsky, Korpisalo, Hutton, Hellberg

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Offensively, Huberdeau is much more talented than Landeskog. NJ might be his destination at 4th overall

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

The OHL Champs Owen Sound Attack beat the WHL Champs 5-0 last night in the tournaments second game.

- Attacks' Jordan Binnington (G) notched the shutout with a 29 save shutout to earn the first star
    - Attacks' Jesse Blacker and Joey Hishon were named 2nd and 3rd stars of the game. Hishon had 0 points and 8 PIM.
    - Owen Sounds' Robbie Mignardi scored 2 goals and Garrett Wilson (captain), Roman Berdnikov and Andrew Fritsch each scored once.
    - The Attacks' super-pest Andrew Shaw had 2 assists in the win

Attack Freeze Ice with 5-0 Shoutout Win

Memorial Cup Game 3 - Kootenay Ice (WHL Champs) vs. Mississauga Majors (host) @ 7pm EST on Rogers Sportsnet TONIGHT

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I didn't catch the game but it appears that Owen Sound's Joey Hishon (COL prospect) was injured in the team's win on a hit from Brayden McNabb.

McNabb's hit will be reviewed by the discipline committee. McNabb was given a 5 minute major for elbowing and a game misconduct so I would expect some further discipline.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Where can I watch the Championship tonight?
    Yahoo 1 Year Leagues:
    G, A, PIM, +/-, PPP, SOG, HIT
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G, 4Bn, 1IR