25. You may not vote on this poll
  • OndÅ™ej Pavelec

9 36.00%
  • Cory Crawford

16 64.00%

Thread: Cory Crawford vs Ondřej Pavelec

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Cory Crawford vs Ondřej Pavelec

Who are you taking in a dynasty league & why?

Dobber Sports Padawan

I actually had this exact choice.

I chose Crawford and here's why.

He was spectacular in the playoffs while the hawks fought their way back from 0 - 3. He was very consistent during the year. He watched the hawks last year walk away from Neimi when he asked for more money than they would pay and i dont expect his agent to make that same mistake.

His agent Gilles Lupien is one of the top agents in the league and I feel he will sign a realistic contract for both the hawks and Crawford to lock his job in.

The hawks themselves were in serious cap trouble when they won the cup and with a team that was gutted of their grinding depth Corey still posted good numbers from start to finish with very few up's and downs. I believe the hawks will take another step back towards top league status this year and Corey will benefit.

All i all i like Crawford short and long term.

As to Pavalec his team worries me. It's obviously for sale. Its in money trouble. Can they afford to spend the money taking the next step? Pavalec is a good talent but he's had his share of hot and cold. On top of that the whole collapsing on the ice thing worries me long term. Makes me thing of Jiri Fisher.

All in all it points to consistent results from Crawford and less surety from Pavalec and with that some risk of long term issues.

I, as i said, went with Crawford.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Certainly can't fault Leaftodd's logic here - Crawford resigned with the Hawks makes the most sense to me. Pavelec could also be a catch in the end, but the Thrashers instability at the moment, doesn't lend itself to making him the pick over Crawford.

Dobber Sports Ace

i pick crawford since the team in front of him will give him way better stats except probably for save since pavelec will face a lot more shot...
    Member of Comish Dynasty 24 team (since the beginning) (Nordique)
    Member of King Of Hockey League (Columbus)
    Member of Great Dynasty (Colorado)
    Member of United Hockey League (Los Angeles)
    Member of Global Hockey league (since the beginning) (Washington)
    Member of Vnhl (Quebec)

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Yep, gimme an order of Crawford. I think Pavs might be a better goalie, but better goalie does not always equal better fantasy stats. The Hawks have a good team, with a very good D. Who knows how things will turn out in Atlanta.

Dobber Sports Icon

crawford easily for me. I wouldnt even say Pavelec is the better NHL goalie.

Dobber Sports Wizard

On one hand I wish I could say it's Pavelec for me, since I have him on my roster. On the other hand, I'm glad I can say Crawford is the better own since he plays for my favorite team.

Crawford has been expected to take this role on the Hawks for a long time now, and I think they handled him very well. They never rushed him into the league, and brought him up at just the right time. He's incredibly sound technically, but has the athleticism to make up for any mistake he does make.

He's 26, he's been a starting goalie everywhere he's played since he was 18, and he really doesn't have a ton of competition in Chicago. Pavelec is a very good goalie as well, and he's not a bad player to have. But the reality is the situation in Chicago is much better than in Atlanta, and that will hurt Pavs.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I take Crawford here without a doubt. Pavs is very skilled but Crawford had a decent rookie year and played unbelievable in the playoffs against my nuckies. It was great experience for him and the Hawks stood by their rookie day in day out, unlike Phill. I think he'll be a good fantasy goalie next year and I think his confidence is high right now. Chalk me as impressed

Dobber Sports Ninja

Yeah I think Crawford is definitely the better goaltender...I just wish they had the goddamn contract signed!...
    Compared to Pavelec I would rather have Crawford. I'm willing to take any inherent risks that come with Crawford (in terms of contract, etc.) just because I think Crawford has a chance to be great while Pavelec has yet to find his consistency and I'm not totally confident in his abilities right now. Crawford on the other hand has the consistency/mental toughness/talent...only thing that bugs me right now is the contract situation. I hope he stays in Chicago and plays well.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Master

I actually prefer Pavelec in a long term ''hold'' investment for a dynasty league.

would I take Crawford shorter term , yes indeed I would .

My gut tells me Pavelec's best years are ahead of him.
    the uncertainty of atlanta's future actually excites me moreso than the possibilty of them remaining in atlanta long term .
    (sorry atlanta fans )
    Last edited by butch; May 14, 2011 at 8:07 AM.

Dobber Sports Master

I think Pavelec is the more talented of the two, but Crawford has so many more things going for him team-wise that it's hard to not pick him. That being said, with the way teams are disposing of goalies every year these days, it's hard to make a pick for a dynasty league. Chicago has been Niemi-Turco (but who really believed that...but still...)-Crawford in less than one calendar year. Hardly a model of stability. Teams seem to like tandems or at least, letting a backup cannibalize a lot of starts away from the starter....Only a handful of teams, perhaps a third to half, have a starter that is untouchable...

In any event, I would still go with Crawford. The skill gap is there IMO, but not enormous. He was excellent this post season. I see no reason for him to continue to grow..
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Kindve find it interesting that there are not more Pavalec supporters posting comments as to why they'd take him over Crawford. I only notice Butch, though there are 5 other votes for him.

Its clear to me Crawford is the clear choice here.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

The safer pick is definately Crawford, at this point he has more mental toughness and a far better team in front of him, but in a dynasty league I'll take Pavelec, he's younger, more highly skilled, doesn't have any competition for the starters job and has a quality veteran backup to give advice when needed. Give him a couple of years to work on his mental toughness and his consistency and he'll be a top 10 goalie.