Thread: 2011 OHL Mock Draft

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default 2011 OHL Mock Draft

The OHL Priority Selection Draft is less than 48-hours away as teams prepare for the Draft on Saturday, May 7th. Scouts are working long hours to determine which minor midget player fits into their organizational plans the best. The 2011 OHL Priority Selection Draft is an opportunity for rebuilding teams to find the next franchise players while contending teams have a chance to stock their cupboards with quality depth players.

Yesterday, I tweeted the Soo Greyhounds newly appointed GM Kyle Dubas the following,

"Who are you taking 3rd overall? Sarnia wants to know haha".

Dubas response was a dandy,
    "Definitely a forward...or a defenceman"

Ironically, Dubas' response was very fitting as this draft is headlined by just a few top forward prospects (Ritchie, Baptiste, Domi) but there seems to be a little more selection when it comes to top defensive prospects (Ekblad, Nurse, Subban, DeAngelo and Bateman). The middle portion of this draft will be used for adding depth players as the draft thins out quite a bit after the Top 10.

Performing a mock draft is always a difficult task and the opportunity for accuracy is almost non-existance. Initially my plan was to do a mock selection of just the top 10 but I became courageous and will include my €œbest guesses€ on the remaining ten picks of the first round as well.

Disclaimer: I will attempt to do my own OHL Mock Draft based on team needs and prospect reports I have read on these OHL eligible players. However, I must confess that I have not watched all of these kids play and in some circumstances I have only observed short internet clips/reviews of their play. It is difficult to find a lot of information on these young talented teens and this mock draft should not be taken too seriously. Beyond the Top 10-12 it becomes very difficult.

Enjoy!

Dean Youngblood's 2011 OHL MOCK DRAFT

1. Barrie Colts - Aaron Ekblad
    (Defence, Sun County Panthers MM, 6'3", 180 lbs)

The Pronger-like defenseman just received "exceptional status" from the CHL so it would be hard to believe that the Barrie Colts would pass on this 1996-born steady franchise defenseman.

2. Peterborough Petes - Nicholas Ritchie
    (Right Wing, Toronto Marlboros MM, 6'2", 195lbs)

Sarnia would not mind having Nicholas join his brother Brett in Sarnia but after Ritchie's fantastic Under-18 World Championship Tournament the Petes should gladly take the best forward available. Ritchie is a rare combination of great size, soft hands and above average skating.

3. Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds - Nicholas Baptiste
    (Center, Ottawa Senators MM, 6'0", 180 lbs)

The Greyhounds will likely draft a forward after adding Curcuruto to their backend with their first round selection last season. Furthermore, the emergence of Ryan Sproul this past season has been a bonus for their defensive depth. Baptiste has experienced some injuries this past season but most scouts think he may be the most dynamic forward available this year. It will be interesting to see who Kyle Dubas selects with his first pick as an OHL GM.

4. Sarnia Sting - Darnell Nurse
    (Defence, Don Mills Flyers MM, 6'3", 175 lbs)

The Sting desperately need help on defence. If Nurse is available at 4th overall, Sarnia will gladly take the smooth skating defenseman. Personally, I have Nurse as the third best player available after Ekblad and Ritchie. One thing is for certain, Sarnia will be getting a solid player to join star forwards Nail Yakupov, Brett Ritchie and Alex Galchenyuk. Sarnia's window for winning is closing as it's likely Yakupov could be the NHL's top selection in 2012.

5. Belleville Bulls - Jordan Subban
    (Defence, Toronto Marlboros MM, 5'11", 165 lbs)

The Bulls organization has been very good to the Subban family. How could they pass up on drafting Jordan Subban? There is little chance they do. The young defenseman has similarities to his older brother PK but his upside is not quite as high. The Belleville Bulls would be reaching a bit if they drafted Jordan with the fifth overall selection but it is hard to see them leaving him on the board after drafting both PK and Malcolm in past drafts. Regardless of if Belleville selects Jordan at #5, he is a first round talent.

6. Sudbury Wolves - Jordan Maletta
    (Right Wing, St. Catharines Falcons MM, 6'2", 190 lbs)

The Wolves would love to take hometown boy Ryan Kujawinski but I don;t think he is worth the sixth overall selection. Sudbury will see its top veteran forward leave this year (Foligno) and they will need to replace him. The Wolves play a gritty, aggressive, hardworking game and Maletta will fit in nicely in Sudbury.

7. Brampton Battalion - Bowie 'Bo' Horvat
    (Center, Elgin-Middlesex Chiefs MM, 5'9", 170 lbs)

The London Knights would love for Horvat to fall to them at 9th and I could see that happening but the Battalion need to add offense to their forward corps. Horvat was exceptional at the Canada Winter Games as Team Ontario's top scorer and has proved that tallying points is his specialty as he finished as the top scoring minor midget. Brampton has several options at this pick but I fully expect them to take a forward (Horvat, Cianfrone, or Maletta are all good options)

8. Kingston Frontenacs - Max Domi
    (Center, Don Mills Flyers MM, 5'9", 160 lbs)

Domi has specifically stated that he intends to go the NCAA route; however, there is also strong speculation that Frontenac's GM Doug Gilmour wants to bring former-Leaf Tie Domi into Kingston's coaching mix. There will be one team that takes a flyer (pun intended) on Max Domi as he is a Top 5 talent in this draft. Is it too early at 8th overall for Kingston to roll the dice?

9. London Knights - Anthony DeAngelo
    (Defense, Cedar Rapids USHL, 5'11", 165lbs)

The London Knights seem to always draft well. If Max Domi is available, there is a chance that the Hunter brothers snatch him up especially with their success at convincing Americans and NCAA-bound players to come to London to play (see Jarred Tinordi). However, if Domi or Horvat aren€™t available look for London to take another gamble on an offensive defenseman out of the USHL. DeAngelo has a few question marks surrounding him but he is a very good puck moving defenseman with good offensive skills.

10. Guelph Storm - Bryson Cianfrone
    (Center, Toronto Marlboros MM, 5'9", 155 lbs)

The Storm need to draft a forward and that will happen since they could potentially lose their three top scoring forwards (Taylor Beck, Michael Latta and Peter Holland). Cianfrone was one of the leaders of the Marlboros' team and his dynamic play and offensive skills could be on display next year in Guelph.
    Last edited by Dean Youngblood; May 5, 2011 at 1:26 PM.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

11. Plymouth Whalers – Michael Vlajkov

(Defence, St. Catharines Falcons MM, 6’2”, 185lbs)

Vlajkov is a tall lanky defenseman who is considered a bit of a ‘project’. Vlajkov owns a tremendous shot that would boost any teams powerplay but is responsible in the defensive zone as well.

12. Erie Otters – Stephen Varga

(Defense, York Simcoe Expess MM, 6’2”, 185lbs)

The Otters have a lot of overagers including their star goaltender Sadikov (who may turn pro) so Erie's goal will be to add some youth to their team depth. It is expected that the Erie Otters will be in a position to select the best player available (forward or defenseman) and Stephen Varga may fit that bill. Varga is a defenseman with good size and brings a steady all-around game who should be able to log big minutes as an OHLer. There is not a whole lot of flashiness about Varga’s game but the scouts like his high hockey IQ.

13. Windsor Spitfires – Adam Bateman
    (Defence, Don Mills Flyers MM, 5’11”. 160 lbs)
    The Spitfires will likely be losing some top end talent and will likely draft whichever player is the best available. Ryan Ellis and Zack Kassian are expected to turn pro next season while Jeff Brown, Jake Carrick and Stephen Johnson will not be back. I have been a fan of Adam Bateman in every game I have watched of his and I would not be surprised to see him drafted well ahead of this position. Bateman played in the shadow of teammate Darnell Nurse all season long but he does possess very good offensive skills. Bateman could become one of the steals of this draft if he slides any further than thirteenth.

14. Kitchener Rangers – Mitchell Dempsey
    (Left Wing, Cambridge Hawks MM, 6’3”, 205lbs)
    The Kitchener Rangers will likely have two of its ’93 born players selected into the top ten at this year's NHL Entry Draft (Gabriel Landeskog and Ryan Murphy). There is a strong possibility that Landeskog could make the jump directly to the NHL which would cause a hole in Kitchener's lineup. Dempsey is a player that appears to be a bit of a project but scouts love the raw skills he possesses. The large winger from Cambridge has the size to dominate at the junior level but has lacked consistency in most games. Dempsey will be challenged to improve his compete level and there is no better organization to push him to compete than Kitchener.

15. Saginaw Spirit - Anthony DiFruscia
    (Left Wing, Welland Tigers MM, 5’11”, 180 lbs)
    DiFruscia is an interesting player in this draft. There are some scouts that have him as a possibility for the Top 10 and others that have him sliding into the second round. DiFruscia and Hunter Garlent led the Welland Tigers this year and both players had strong OHL Cup appearances notching four points. Keep an eye on DiFruscia come Saturday.

16. Oshawa Generals – Chris Bigras
    (Defence, Barrie Colts MM, 6’0”, 165 lbs)
    Oshawa will have several key forwards return next season (Jensen, Jenner and possibly Thomas) but will likely be losing some key players on defence (de Haan, Valentine). Oshawa is stacked upfront so defensive depth will be the goal for this years’ draft. Chris Bigras of the Barrie Colts Minor Midget team offers the skills to become a decent powerplay quarterback for the Gens with his efficient puck movement skills.

17. Mississauga St. Michael’s Majors (Compensatory Pick) – David Perklin
    (LW, Toronto Marlboros MM, 6’2”, 180 lbs)
    Perklin was dominant in the 2011 OHL Cup Final scoring the game-tying goal. David has a very high compete level and is a hard-nosed power forward who is not afraid to go into the dirty areas. Perklin projects to be a second line player but could thrive if given lots of powerplay time and will definitely become a fan favourite wherever he ends up.

18. Ottawa 67’s – Hunter Garlent
    (Right Wing, Welland Tigers, 5’9”, 151 lbs)
    The Ottawa 67s could end up getting quite the offensive catalyst if Garlent becomes their first round selection. Garlent is small (very small) but he has shown that he can score as he notched three goals in four OHL Cup games. Garlent has quick feet and very good puckhandling skills that will definitely be attractive to most OHL teams. Garlent might make a better second round selection but I would not be surprised to see him picked in the first round.

19. Niagara IceDogs – Ryan Kujawinski
    (Center, Sudbury Wolves MM, 6’1”, 190 lbs)
    Sudbury might draftKujawinski at sixth overall but I am not sure he possesses a sixth overall pedigree. It is more likely that the Sudbury-native will be selected in the #15-25 range. Kujawinski is a big strong forward who is a strong skater with outstanding playmaking skills. Ryan Kujawinski is a very dangerous player in the opposing teams zone due to the confidence he has with the puck and the ability to snipe with his very deceiving shot.

20. Owen Sound Attack – Mitchell Fitzmorris
    (Left Wing, Elgin-Middlesex Chiefs MM, 5’11”, 170 lbs)
    Hishon, Wilson and Mignardi could all be leaving Owen Sound next season (add Blacker on defence as well). The Attack will be aiming to replace these veteran forwards with their first round selection. Fitzmorris brings a very solid overall game that is highlighted by a good offensive game and responsible defensive play. Fitzmorris does not have that “star power” but he possesses a good shot that could help a powerplay and he may just be one of the best penalty killers in this draft.

21. Mississauga St.Michael's Majors – Braxton Andrews
    (Defence, Toronto Marlboros, 6’1”, 180 lbs)
    The Majors will select a defenseman with one of their first round selections as they will be losing D’Orazio and Cantin (and possibly Brett Flemming too). Braxton Andrews was a member of the OHL Cup Championship Toronto Marlboros team. Braxton is a strong physical defenseman who is flying under-the-radar in this years OHL Draft. The Majors would be getting a steal if Andrews slides all the way to them at 21st. Braxton is not just limited to being a shutdown defenseman as he does own above-average puck moving skills to become a steady number two defender on any OHL team.

22. Barrie Colts (Compensatory Pick) – Stephan Nosad
    (Right Wing, York Simcoe Express MM, 5’11”, 175 lbs)
    Nosad is a player who brings it every shift with his well-rounded game. Nosad would give the Colts some grittiness as he plays hard in all areas of the rink. With Nosad, do not expect a lot of points but he will bring value to a team strictly with his compete level game in and game out.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Honourable Mentions:

Forwards: Aaron Belisha (Toronto Marlboros, RW), Brody Milne (Halton Hurricanes, LW), Brandon Robinson (Toronto Jr. Canadiens, LW), Nick Moutrey (York Simcoe Express, LW), Daniel Nikandrov (Markam Majors, C), Michael McCarron (Detroit Honeybaked, RW), JT Comper (Team Illinois U16, C)

Defensemen: Charlie Pelnik (Carolina Hurricanes U16, D), Alex Smith (Detroit Honeybaked, D), Ian McCoshen (Waterloo Warriors USHL, D), Evan de Haan (Ottawa Valley, D)

Goaltenders: Spencer Martin (Toronto Jr. Canadiens, G) Alex Fortinos (Toronto Marlboros, G)
    Last edited by Dean Youngblood; May 5, 2011 at 9:32 PM.

The Great One

just excellent work as usual, DY. I only know of a handful of these kids, so I appreciate your write-ups. This gives me an indication of who to watch out for in the OHL next year.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Thanks SeaDawg. I am glad someone is reading them

It will be interesting to see how the "real teams select" and then check back in a years time to who the real gems of the draft were.

The import draft always brings in some interesting players that can be game changers so I look forward to that as well. Last year brought over some real talents in the CHL Import draft - Yakupov, Jensen, Kitsyn, Namestnikov, Khokhlachev,Rickard Rakell and Andrei Pedan. Some real beauties there.

PS- Not sure what those silly symbols are in the second post above. Whenever I copy and paste from a word document I seem to import weird symbols. Sorry about that.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Great read DY!

I agree in the fact that Guelph needs a forward BAD! It will be a rebuilding year and whatever draft pick will have plenty of oppurtunity to make an impact right away. Now looking at returning players, we need some size up front. And the only natural centerman will be rookie Patrick Watling (Francis Menard would be the only other returning player that played center, but he's better on the wing).
    I have read that Maletta can play center and he would probably be at the top of my list for potential players to the team.

P.S. The OHL media guide is out and provides a good read on prospects you might not know much about, I have read it and provides some good info. here is the link http://ontariohockeyleague.com/artic...able-now/98229 (link to download is at the bottom of the page)

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Thanks Brian.

I actually posted the media guide in this past week's ramblings (May 2nd) yesterday. I was disappointed it wasn't released before I did the mock draft simply because it is chalked full of good information that could have provided me with more info (stats, etc.) to confirm my intuitions. Thanks.

Maletta could potentially fall to Guelph so keep your fingers crossed.