Thread: Cory Crawford

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Cory Crawford

Are you sold on him?

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by sparrowtrini View Post
    Are you sold on him?

Yes sir. But thats an open question, sold him as in do you have to give up something to own him? Is he a free agent in your league etc, or just a simple question out of curiosity ? I think he's damn good and a fine goalie to own and I believe in him - I own him and im not gonna shop for a goalie in the off season of my leagues. I am gonna ride the C.C. train.

The Great One

I am. He looked incredible all year, especially in the playoffs. And with Chicago's cap situation, they will likely re-sign him to a reasonable contract and not be in the free agency market this summer to find a new goalie.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Personally I like him a lot. I think he's a freaking awesome goalie with a lot of composure and most importantly it really looks like he builds confidence in his teammates. People need to remember that he's not REALLY a 'rookie'. He's going to be 27 in December. That's why I don't expect much of a sophomore slump. He's had the time to develop properly and hasn't been rushed into a bad situation.

However, like Shakedown said, its a bit of an open question though. In my opinion, just because of the entire situation, I might not feel comfortable taking him over an undisputed #1 goaltender yet, or having him as my #1 goaltending option. Personally if it were me I would see him as a REALLY good #2 option on a fantasy team. Not taking anything away from his skill, but its just the situation that bothers me right now.

Just my two cents.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by sparrowtrini View Post
    Are you sold on him?

I will assume the context is sold on him as a good starting goaltender. The answer is yes.

Dobber Sports Ace

Yup, I had the chance to grab him this year and passed on it for Pavelec, who was red-hot at the time. Whoops.

Crawford was terrific in the Vancouver series. I think he's the real deal and will see a lot of starts over the next few years for a pretty good team.

Good guy to own.

Dobber Sports Pro

You really have to admire his play after Chicago was down 3-0...that is a tremendous amount of pressure to face and Crawford played admirably.

I think he has settled in well this year in Chicago and improved throughout the season.

It will be interesting to see who ends up backing him up next season, a cheap veteran or cheap rookie.
    Ultimate Fantasy Hockey League - 2nd Place
    Teams: 12
    Players: G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,SHP,GWG,SOG,FW,HIT

Goalies: GS,W,L,GAA,SA,SV,SV%,SHO
    Pro(23) Keep(17)
    3C - Toews/Spezza/Rask/Backlund/Dubinsky(LW)
    3LW -Palat/Abdelkader(RW)/Henrique(C)/Soderberg(C)
    3RW - Simmonds/Smith(C)/Little(C)/Jenner(C)/Stafford
    6D - Doughty/Ekman-Larsson/Chara/Braun/Klingberg/Stone/Theodore
    2G - Hellybuyck/Lehner
    IR - Wisniewski/Perreault(C)/Savard/Pavelec
    Farm(10)
    C - Dvorak(LW)
    LW -Lindberg(C)
    RW -
    D - Pulock/Gustafsson
    G - Darling/Hutchinson/Condon/Ullmark//Johnson/Raanta

Dobber Sports Initiate

I was about 80% sold on him after the regular season and now I'm 100% sold on him.

I watched all 7 playoff games and he was tremendous for the most part. He showed poise and never seemed to be shaken under huge amounts of pressure. For a rookie that is huge and cannot be taught. He will take it as a learning experience and improve because of it.

He has a great work ethic because he had to earn a spot on the team and shows that he can play a huge workload. His coach and teammates not only like him, but have confidence in him so that's a huge plus.

I fully believe they will be able to re-sign him in the offseason and Salak will be their backup. Salak is a huge talent as well, but I can only imagine it will push Crawford even more.
    24 GM – 3 Tier Salary Cap Roto Dynasty League + Roto Playoffs (Keep 32 of 35)
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, STP, HITS, BS, W, GAA, SV | 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 1G

C - Crosby, W.Nylander, Kempe, B.Howden, Wallmark, Z.Sanford, Newhook
    LW - Ovechkin, Vrana, S.Bennett, Lehkonen, Aston-Reese, T.Benson, S.Poulin
    RW - JT.Miller, Coleman, Gourde, Dzingel, Tippett, Volkov
    D - Klingberg, Chabot, Slavin, Matheson, Chychrun, Sanheim, D.Toews, E.Bouchard, Cholowski
    G - J.Gibson, DeSmith, Sparks, Luukkonen, Starrett

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by b0ndon View Post
    People need to remember that he's not REALLY a 'rookie'. He's going to be 27 in December. That's why I don't expect much of a sophomore slump.
    I'll be honest...I didn't know he was that old already. He certainly isn't a true rookie so any concerns about him crumbling under the pressure that some young(er) goal-tenders tend to face in their second seasons are less concerning to me

As an aside, I'm also very glad he wasn't nominateed for the Calder now. I was, at one point, pushing hard for him to get a nomination, but I didn't know at the time that he was 26 years old.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by iamlilc View Post
    I was about 80% sold on him after the regular season and now I'm 100% sold on him.

I watched all 7 playoff games and he was tremendous for the most part. He showed poise and never seemed to be shaken under huge amounts of pressure. For a rookie that is huge and cannot be taught. He will take it as a learning experience and improve because of it.

He has a great work ethic because he had to earn a spot on the team and shows that he can play a huge workload. His coach and teammates not only like him, but have confidence in him so that's a huge plus.

I fully believe they will be able to re-sign him in the offseason and Salak will be their backup. Salak is a huge talent as well, but I can only imagine it will push Crawford even more.
    I think you are right that Salak will be backing up Crawford next season. that should be a really solid combination with Salak coming off a good year in Europe.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

SOLD
    I'm estatic of how well he played and his ability to stay so consistent. Those 7 playoff games will do wonders for his confidence. A learning expierience coming back to force a game 7 knowing (if he didn't all ready) he's able to get his team to the stanley cup final even though he didn't this year.
    I rolled the dice and got crawford for Jamie Benn right before the season started and picked up Salak on waivers when he was traded to Chi. from Flo.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Stamkos,Elias,Jeffery,Oshie,Steen
    Leino,Umberger,Versteeg,Prospal,Calvert
    Hossa,Gaborik,Okposo,Purcell,A Stewart,Parse
    Goligoski,Ericsson,Dermers,Leddy
    Lundqvist,Crawford,Backstrom

minors
    Karlsson,Schneider,Salak,Stalock
    Tatar,Ashton,Deschamps

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by b0ndon View Post
    Personally I like him a lot. I think he's a freaking awesome goalie with a lot of composure and most importantly it really looks like he builds confidence in his teammates. People need to remember that he's not REALLY a 'rookie'. He's going to be 27 in December. That's why I don't expect much of a sophomore slump. He's had the time to develop properly and hasn't been rushed into a bad situation.

However, like Shakedown said, its a bit of an open question though. In my opinion, just because of the entire situation, I might not feel comfortable taking him over an undisputed #1 goaltender yet, or having him as my #1 goaltending option. Personally if it were me I would see him as a REALLY good #2 option on a fantasy team. Not taking anything away from his skill, but its just the situation that bothers me right now.

Just my two cents.
    I am likley to rely on him as my #1 starter next year and hang on to Bobrofsky or Varlamov as my #2. Is that a mistake? Given Crawford's performance this past year and in the playoffs does he strat 60 games for Chi-town?
    - back chech
    14 team standard yahoo keeper league (82 games for 4C, 4RW, 4LW, 6D, and 1G). 23 man roster. No farm.
    Plyer Cats = G, A, P, PPP, SHP, GWG, FW, HTS, BLKS, SH%, PIM's
    Goal Cats = GAA, SV%, SHTS, W, and SO

C - Getzlaf, Toews, Stamkos, Giroux, B. Nelson
    RW - P. Kane, Coyle , Nyquist, Dubinsky
    LW - L. Eriksson, Pacioretty, Kreider, Schwartz
    D - Faulk, Klinberg, Brodie, Dekyser, Vatannan, Despres, Daley, Pouliot
    G - Crawford, Allen, Dubnyk

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by back check View Post
    I am likley to rely on him as my #1 starter next year and hang on to Bobrofsky or Varlamov as my #2. Is that a mistake? Given Crawford's performance this past year and in the playoffs does he strat 60 games for Chi-town?
    - back chech
    I think you will be fine with Crawford as your starter. 60 games seems very likely, with probably 30-33 wins at least. Maybe even as much as 35-37.

I'd be much more worried about Bobrovsky and Varlamov. They could both be backups next year, or perhaps not even in the NHL.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Eh, if it were MY team I would be uncomfortable with my 3 goalies being Crawford/Bob/Varlamov. You need a lot of things that are out of your control to work out in order to stand a good shot in goalie categories. If I were you I would try to explore a route to obtain a bonafide #1 starter.
    I took a look at your other thread, and saw GL's breakdown of the Hawks cap situation and I think he's spot on. That is the biggest reason why I would be uncomfortable with Crawford being my #1 goalie going into next season RIGHT NOW. Like I said, a lot of things are out of your control right now.
    If he does sign with Chicago then that would ease the mind a bit.

Again though, that's just me.
    Last edited by bondon; May 7, 2011 at 8:15 PM.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!