Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Magnus Paajarvi

Dobber Sports Expert

Oh and a side note. I am considering keeping Dubinsky over MPS for my team in my sig.
    10 Keepers

10 Team, 10 Keeper
    Head to Head: G,A,P,PPP,SHP,BS,FW,GAA,SV%,SO
    Daily changes: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G
    C: Malkin, Pavelski, Domi
    LW: Gaudreau, Drouin
    RW: Kessel, B. Ryan, Nyquist
    D: Hedman
    G: Holtby
    Don't mistake opinion for fact.

Dobber Sports Guru

hate to do it, but i gotta actually defend Big Ev a little here.

he is right, Paajarvi compares well stylistically to a young Michalek. MM was a speed demon, big and strong, who lacked somewhat in the offensive hockey sense department to ever turn those tools into really big numbers.

i was convinced that Michalek would be an 80 point guy after seeing him play live my first time. same with Paajarvi.

after a bit more watching... i'm not so sure anymore. Paajarvi does seem to lack some of the decision making that, say, helps Omark be a better player. (age difference, blah blah).

cliche time: MPS has all the tools... does he have the toolbox?

ps. i would way rather have Paajarvi on my team than Cowen. or Kadri. we shall see.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    And there's not much reason to definitely say he will become an offensive star either. You can't know that with 100% confidence. Do you think every single prospect gets better every season and there are NO guys who disappoint? All I'm seeing in this thread is HOPE that we will hit his projections. Just like every other freaking prospect that hits the NHL.

Remember Marcus Nilson? That guy was supposed to be an amazing star in the league and he was amazing offensively over in Sweden. Look where he is now.

Sorry, I watch Paajarvi and don't think of star. I think of solid second-liner who will be a good goal scorer and reliable. I'm just advising people to lower their expectation on Paajarvi. The Edmonton prospect hype is wild now...not
    every single one of their players will become stars.
    Well, I personally don't think that I fall into the prospect hype ad easy as some might. For example, there are very few young players that I put in Pajaarvi,s league in own personal rankings. Very few young players bring his combination of speed, skill and confidence. So, it could be called hope, but not baseless hope. The last young player that I personally hyped this way (who wasn't say a top five pick) was your boy Karlsson. IMO, and that is all it is-my opinion, Pajaarvi has many of the same tools to become successful more so than 80-90% of all prospects.

And to touch on the oiler hype machine, I kind of agree. Only I feel that Eberle is the one who overhyped (see how weird personal opinion is). Eberle was anointed a spot in the top six (along with Hall) long before training camp even opened. Pajaarvi earned a spot that wasn't gauranteed

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rainydrinkwater View Post
    Well, I personally don't think that I fall into the prospect hype ad easy as some might. For example, there are very few young players that I put in Pajaarvi,s league in own personal rankings. Very few young players bring his combination of speed, skill and confidence. So, it could be called hope, but not baseless hope. The last young player that I personally hyped this way (who wasn't say a top five pick) was your boy Karlsson. IMO, and that is all it is-my opinion, Pajaarvi has many of the same tools to become successful more so than 80-90% of all prospects.

And to touch on the oiler hype machine, I kind of agree. Only I feel that Eberle is the one who overhyped (see how weird personal opinion is). Eberle was anointed a spot in the top six (along with Hall) long before training camp even opened. Pajaarvi earned a spot that wasn't gauranteed
    It will be interesting how the Oilers develop these guys. I will keep my eye on young Magnus.

Dobber Sports Genius

Agreed. It will be fun too watch what hapPens with all of their young players and those still to be drafted in the next couple of seasons. I think they (the oilers) are heading for another lottery pick next year as well. Especially if they don't get some goaltending.

Quote Originally Posted by rainydrinkwater View Post
    Agreed. It will be fun too watch what hapPens with all of their young players and those still to be drafted in the next couple of seasons. I think they (the oilers) are heading for another lottery pick next year as well. Especially if they don't get some goaltending.
    Not to get off topic, but is Dubnyk not the real deal over there? Long term?
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Pro

Most prospects have major 'if' factors that will determine their success. Its really about their dedication to work on those issues that will result in a star player or just a 2nd or 3rd liner. ie. luck fantasy wise.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    Not to get off topic, but is Dubnyk not the real deal over there? Long term?
    I would say the oilers regard him with very cautious optimism. Definitely not putting all the eggs in that basket though. I know it doesn't need to be said, but the Khabby signing came a year early (wrong frigging goalie too). I feel that this year, they should have just let the kids learn pressure free, which they kind of did, but then what was the point of bringing in a goalie of Khabby's age? Next year, with that money, a goalie like Bryz would quicken their development as a team on the whole.