Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: [March 28th] OHL Weekly Ramblings

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default [March 28th] OHL Weekly Ramblings

OHL Weekly Ramblings - March 28th

CONGRATULATIONS to the OHL SHOWCASE CUP CHAMPIONS - Toronto Marlboros!

- Rogers Sportsnet featured the OHL Cup Championship game yesterday where the Toronto Marlboros faced off against Don Mills Flyers. Both squads were filled with loads of talent (that will be drafted into the OHL this summer). Jordan Subban (see "Family Ties Below") and Nicholas Ritchie highlighted the Malboros coming into the game and Max Domi and Darnell Nurse have been the workhorses all year long for the Flyers.

- Don Mills took an early lead and put the pressure on Toronto early but the Malboros would tie the game at 3s late in the game with a beautiful goal by David Perklin (MUST SEE VIDEO below) and Aaron Berisha (OHL Cup MVP) scored the goal ahead goal in the final minute of play

DY's Favourite Players from the OHL Cup Final

- I was able to watch the entire game and I must admit that it was the best hockey I have watched this year.

- The players who impressed me the most were:
    • Nicholas Ritchie (F-Toronto Marlboros): Ritchie is projected to go 1st or 2nd in this years' OHL Priority Draft and I can see why. He uses his size and speed to dominate the entire ice surface. Ritchie loves having the puck on his stick and has good puck skills that keeps him honest as a shooter and a passer
    • Joshua Ho-Sang (F-Toronto Marlboros): Ho-Sang is one of the few '96s (underager) so he will not be drafted this season but look for him to be a very high pick in next years' OHL Priority Draft. The kid oozes vision and creativity and also has a tremendous shot. If Ho-Sang can fill out his frame a bit more he will dominate next year in this tournament.
    • Darnell Nurse (D-Don Mills Flyers): Nurse is the nephew of NFL QB Donovan McNabb. Darnell is projected to be one of the top defensemen selected in this years' OHL Priority Draft and I would personally like to see my Sarnia Sting (in desperate need of a D) get their hands on him. Darnell skates like the wind, has good offensive skills but his biggest skill is being able to shut down the opposing team.
    • Max Domi (F-Don Mills Flyers): Domi didn't impress me much in yesterdays' game but he does have above average competitiveness which can't be overlooked. He ended the game with a goal and an assist but I was expecting more flashiness from this hyped prospect.

OHL Cup Awards

- OHL Cup Final Player-of-the-Game (Toronto Marlboros): David Perklin
    - OHL Cup Final Player-of-the-Game (Don Mills Flyers): Max Domi
    - OHL Cup Tournament MVP: Aaron Berisha (Toronto Marlboros; 8G, 5A, 13P)

Minor Hockey Player of the Year Awards Presented at OHL Cup

- The winners include Bo Horvat of the Elgin Middlesex Chiefs named ALLIANCE Player of the Year, Nicolas Ritchie of the Toronto Marlboros was named GTHL Player of the Year, Nolan Nicholas of the Thunder Bay Kings is the HNO Player of the Year, Ryan Kujawinski of the Sudbury Minor Midget Wolves is the NOHA Player of the Year, Nicholas Baptiste of the Ottawa Senators is the ODMHA Player of the Year, and the OMHA Player of the Year is Alex Yuill of the Quinte Red Devils

- Player video highlights here

OHL Playoffs Underway

- The 2011 OHL Playoffs got underway this past Thursday and there have some fantastic games played. If you missed it, check out my OHL Eastern Conference Playoff Predictions here and my Western Conference Playoff Predictions here

- Terry Doyle of loosepucks.com gives us his thoughts on this past weekends playoff action here

- Here are some of my own brief thoughts about Teams and Players:
    • Goaltender Malcolm Subban is doing everything to be the hero for Belleville against the mighty Majors but he'll be in tough to steal a single game
    • Nicklas Jensen and his Generals are causing a lot of media havoc in Kingston. The Frontenac fans are NOT happy - not one bit. Everyone is calling for Doug Gilmour to be fired and the Frontenac ownership to hire the right personnel. Look for Gilmour to get the axe following this series. The Frontenacs have lost 7-3, 10-1 and 5-4 to trail the series 3-0 to Oshawa. Jensen is a player I really like in this years NHL Draft.
    • Christian Thomas (Oshawa) is making the New York Rangers look genius for selecting him 40th overall last year (2nd Round). Thomas currently leads the OHL Playoff Scoring with 9 points in 3 games.

Frontenacs On the Ropes (Article)

- With Kingston down three games to zero, thescout.ca takes a look at the Frontenacs situation

DY's OHL Playoff Teams' Best Performers (to date)

- I am picking one player from each squad who has been the Teams best player:
    • Mississauga St. Michael's Majors-- JP Anderson (0.33 GAA, .983 SV%, 2 SO, 3 W)
    • Belleville Bulls -- Malcolm Subban (1.02 GAA, .969, 2 GA in 2GP against one of the OHL's best teams
    • Ottawa 67's-- Tyler Toffoli (2G, 2A, 4P in 1 GP)
    • Sudbury Wolves -- Michael Sgarbossa (1G, 5A, 6P in 1GP)
    • Niagara IceDogs-- Darren Archibald (4G in 2GP)
    • Brampton Battalion -- no standouts
    • Oshawa Generals -- Christian Thomas (3G, 6A, 9P in 3GP)
    • Kingston Frontenacs -- Ryan Spooner (2G, 1A, 3P in 3GP)
    • Owen Sound Attack -- Garrett Wilson (2G in 2GP)
    • London Knights -- Michael Houser (1.97 GAA, .962 SV%)
    • Saginaw Spirit -- Josh Shalla (3G, 1A, 4P in 2GP)
    • Guelph Storm -- Taylor Beck (1G, 2A, 3P in 2GP)
    • Kitchener Rangers -- Ryan Murphy (4A in 2GP)
    • Plymouth Whalers -- Scott Wedgewood (2W, 3.43 GAA, .915 SV%)
    • Windsor Spitfires -- no standouts yet
    • Erie Otters -- Ramis Sadislav (1.98 GAA, 0.944 SV%)

Family Ties (linked title)

- The Subban family has made their mark first with PK but his brothers are showing they can play too. Malcolm Subban tends net for the Belleville Bulls who are currently facing the number one ranked Western Conference Mississauga Majors in OHL Playoffs

-Subban Family video

- Jordan Subban recently took part in the OHL Cup where he showcased his talents for the Toronto Marlboros in hopes of being a top pick in this years' OHL Priority Draft. Subban was on the OHL Cup Winning Toronto Marlboros team yesterday

- But, wait! There is another Subban making headlines. Marselis Subban is the cousin of PK, Malcolm and Jordan and he is currently an eligible defenceman for the upcoming OHL Priority Draft as well. Marselis currently plays for the Cambridge Hawks
    Marselis' Youtube Page

- Check out more Family Ties at the OHL Cup here with features on Nicholas Ritchie (brother of Sarnia Sting Brett Ritchie) Nick and Brett will both be drafted this season, Nicholas to the OHL and Brett to the NHL.

2011 NHL Draftee Profile - Mark Scheifele (Barrie Colts)

- Check out the good profile of Mark Scheifele (2011 NHL Draft Eligible) by thehockeywriters.com equipped with Fantasy Ratings too

OHL Overagers Worth Signing

- OHLprospects takes a look at "Top 10 - Overagers Worth Signing (2011 Version)"

OHL Sights and Sounds

- OHL News Radio(link)
    - RBC Junior Hockey Magazine Radio with Geno Reda:

Playoff Scoring Leaders

- Christian Thomas of the Oshawa Generals leads all playoff scorers coming into Monday night. Check out the PLAYOFF LEADING SCORERS

As always, I will post more as articles are released.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Dean Youngblood; March 28, 2011 at 12:07 PM.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Was at the Frontenacs game in the 10-1 loss. Gilmour left Palazzese for two periods in which he let in 7 goals. Then put Perry in a 6 goal deficit game. People were very upset that the switch wasn't made earlier. To Perry's credit he played great, those of us that were still left in the stands gave him a standing o. Was my second Front's game in 2 weeks, first game I went to Pal let in 4 goals in the first period against the Wolves.

Agreed about Thomas, from what I saw the other day he was one of the best players on the ice.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Good stuff b0ndon. I appreciate hearing any first hand observations and thoughts. I really hope (for the sake of Kingston's fans) that the Frontenacs can win a game or two to extend this series.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Here is another article worth reading about the lowly attendance at the Mississauga St Michael's arena. Remember, Mississauga is the host for the 2011 Memorial Cup later this spring.

"OHL St. Michael's Majors have lots of talent...but no fans"

Good Read.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Check out the full OHL Playoff bracket

Tonights' Games include:

Game 3: Plymouth @ Kitchener (Plymouth leads 2-0)
    Game 3: Erie @ Windsor (Series Tied 1-1)
    Game 3: Guelph @ Saginaw (Series Tied 1-1)
    Game 2: Ottawa @ Sudbury (Sudbury leads 1-0)

Dobber Sports Padawan

I attended Game 1 between the 67s and Sudbury Wolves.

They had to play it at ScotiaBank Place (Sens home ice) instead of their own rink (Landsdowne Park) as there was a spring home show displaying there this past weekend.

I don't know if it was the week off between games or they thought this series might be a cake walk because of them being the favorites, but Ottawa came out flat and had a bad game.

That is not to take away from Sudbury's game, as they came at Ottawa all afternoon. I don't overly know the Wolves that well, but from what I saw, they have a fast, hard working team. They also weren't afraid to get a little dirty as they took a whopping 14 penalties, including three 5 on 3's.

If the 67's didn't have all of those power play opportunities, as they scored 4 or their 7 goals on the PP, they would have been hemmed in their own zone for the entire game and the score wouldn't have been close.

Game 2 is crucial for Ottawa, as this game and Game 3 are back to back and in Sudbury. If Ottawa loses tonight, they will find themselves in a heap of trouble going into tomorrow night's game.

Some good news for the 67's is Shane Prince will suit up and rejoin Toffoli and Martindale on the top line for this game since suffering a concussion a few weeks ago.

I personally have been paying close attention to one of Ottawa's defensemen, Cody Ceci.

I noticed him 2 years ago at one of the 67's scrimages during training camp and the thing that stood out, him being only 15 at the time, was how big this kid was (not sure of his size then, but he's 17, 6'-2" and 203 at present time), and not too bad in the skating department.

As last season wore on, he displayed some nice poise while handling the puck and possessed a nice shot. During this season, 67's coach Chirs Byrne urdged him to shoot more frequently and he ended up putting up 9 goals and 25 assists for his second campaign.

He could use a little more speed and nastiness, but he's only 17, and will have a good 2 or 3 more years at the junior level to develop.

Let's see what happens tonight in Game 2!

...if I might add, we are currently dating, and she is quite a handful in the bedroom...

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by jL67s View Post
    Game 2 is crucial for Ottawa, as this game and Game 3 are back to back and in Sudbury. If Ottawa loses tonight, they will find themselves in a heap of trouble going into tomorrow night's game.

Let's see what happens tonight in Game 2!
    It looks like Sudbury is giving Ottawa some problems early in Game 2. Tied 2-2. Everyone expected this series to be easy but like you said, Sudbury plays a very grinding game which can wear on teams.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Generals' Christian Thomas Name OHL Player of the Week

The OHL has named Oshawa General forward Christian Thomas (Son of former NHLer Steve Thomas) the OHL Player of the Week (link)

Now a three-time winner of the award this season, Thomas led the league with nine points in three games scoring three goals and six assists with a plus-minus rating of plus-7.
    Click the link above for the full story.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I saw Sunday's game between Guelph and Saginaw. Lot's of penalties called for both teams.

Although Guelph proved they can win without the big three scoring. Although Latta, Holland and Beck had assists, neither scored a goal. Cody McNaughton had the Gordie Howe hat trick.

Not the case tonight in Saginaw, the big guns were out with Latta and Beck scoring twice and Holland adding another.

If Saginaw doesn't change there game quickly, we could easily see a first round upset.

P.S. Andrey Pedan is my new favourite Storm player. The guy will NEVER shy away from physical contact. He also now has 5 points (all assists) in 3 playoff games.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Thanks to everyone who has been sharing their game experiences lately. These reports are helpful and ver valuable as I don't get to see all of these OHL teams play.

PedAn has really impressed me too. It seems like he has been dominating that game sheet (as a defenceman) over the final couple of months

Thanks again

Dobber Sports Initiate

Going to the Attack game tomorrow. Any guys I should look out for Dean?

For the Attack I am really going to be watching Joey Hishon. Garrett Wilson is another I plan to watch but I don't think he has much upside. As a Leaf's fan I will have my eye on Jesse Blacker for sure, just to see if he is any good.

As for the Knights I only know two guys.. Boston's second round pick Jared Knight and 2011 draft eligible, Vladislav Namestnikov.

I didn't discover this OHL forum until recently and I am loving all your updates Dean. Keep up the good work.

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post
    It looks like Sudbury is giving Ottawa some problems early in Game 2. Tied 2-2. Everyone expected this series to be easy but like you said, Sudbury plays a very grinding game which can wear on teams.
    Sudbury won 5-3 and now lead the series 2-0.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by tryhard87 View Post
    Going to the Attack game tomorrow. Any guys I should look out for Dean?

For the Attack I am really going to be watching Joey Hishon. Garrett Wilson is another I plan to watch but I don't think he has much upside. As a Leaf's fan I will have my eye on Jesse Blacker for sure, just to see if he is any good.

As for the Knights I only know two guys.. Boston's second round pick Jared Knight and 2011 draft eligible, Vladislav Namestnikov.

I didn't discover this OHL forum until recently and I am loving all your updates Dean. Keep up the good work.
    You've highlighted the main ones that are fantasy related. Here's my list

London Knights -
    Jared Knight (BOS)
    Vladimir Namestnikov (F - 2011 Draft Eligible)
    Tinordi (D - MON)
    Seth Griffith (F - 2011 Draft Eligible)
    Scott Harrington
    Dane Fox (16 year old who has potential but has struggled with discipline issues), Michael Houser (undrafted G who is playing himself into a contract with some pro team)

Owen Sound
    Joey Hishon (COL)
    Jesse Blacker (TOR)
    Garrett Wilson (FLA)
    Jarrod Maidens (keep an eye on this 2012 draft eligible kid and let me know how he looks, he could be very good)

Enjoy the game. Hope this helps

Dobber Sports Padawan

Plain and simple, the 67's were outworked and completely outplayed again in Game 2.

Sudbury's top line of Sgarbossa, Kuchin and Leivo tap-danced around Ottawa all night. Actually, the entire Sudbury Wolves team tap-danced around Ottawa all night.

Shots were 53 to 18 in favor of the Wolves, and if it were not for Petr Mrazek (the only 67 to show up), the score would have been 9 or 10 to 3.

Quick turn around as Game 3 is tonight.

...if I might add, we are currently dating, and she is quite a handful in the bedroom...

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post
    You've highlighted the main ones that are fantasy related. Here's my list

London Knights -
    Jared Knight (BOS)
    Vladimir Namestnikov (F - 2011 Draft Eligible)
    Tinordi (D - MON)
    Seth Griffith (F - 2011 Draft Eligible)
    Scott Harrington
    Dane Fox (16 year old who has potential but has struggled with discipline issues), Michael Houser (undrafted G who is playing himself into a contract with some pro team)

Owen Sound
    Joey Hishon (COL)
    Jesse Blacker (TOR)
    Garrett Wilson (FLA)
    Jarrod Maidens (keep an eye on this 2012 draft eligible kid and let me know how he looks, he could be very good)

Enjoy the game. Hope this helps
    Thanks for the list. I did some more digging in the Mid-season ISS Rankings (http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=36348). Is that the most up to date list?

Anyway I found 2 more 2011 draft eligible guys from the list from Owen Sound:

RW Andrew Fritsch (96th overall)
    D Keevin Cutting (122nd overall)

Think either of those guys are worth watching?