Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Boston Bruins

Dobber Sports Genius

Thanks again 4T2. Very insightful indeed.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    Shawn Thornton
    My favorite lunchpail player took a skate above his eye last night courtesy of Fernando Pisani. It took 40 stitches to close the cut and he would not return to the game. The Blackhawks bench was chirping him as he left the ice covered in blood. Thornton tried to get at whoever made the comments, but the ref intervened. He wasn't very happy with them and had the following comments:

I'd hate to be whoever said that when these teams finally meet again. Here's a link to the play:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfPw7...layer_embedded
    Allegedly Patrick Kane was one of the ones who was chirping away. But whether it was him or not, that's a classless act.
    Dobbernomics.com | Twitter @dobbernomics
    FantasyHockeyGeek.com | Twitter @FantasyHockeyGk

G(2), A(1), +-(1), PIM(0.25), PPP(2), SHP(3), HITS(0.1), BS(0.1), W(5), L(-2), SV(0.2), GA(-1), SO(5)

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by chillyh View Post
    Allegedly Patrick Kane was one of the ones who was chirping away. But whether it was him or not, that's a classless act.
    Where did you find that info?
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Icon

Sorry guys, computer kicked the bucket this morning so I didn't get the chance to write a preview for tonights game against the Laffs.

Quick news, Thornton is out tonight because of the 40 stitches in his face. Ryder will be back in the lineup to replace him. Boychuk is being given the night off as well and Julien says "it's not a reflection of his play". Kampfer will replace him.

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Why the Boston Bruins will win tonight - March 31, 2011

Partially because I didn't have time to write one, but also partially because nothing more needs to be said on this subject.

Because it's the Leafs!

Dobber Sports Master

well, we have beaten you twice in a row, and Kaberle forgot that he's not a leaf. Better back up your smack talk big guy
    "We've had a couple shakers in this place. This year we haven't had the time. We had a couple good ones last year, right?" - Phil Kessel

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by TK12555 View Post
    well, we have beaten you twice in a row, and Kaberle forgot that he's not a leaf. Better back up your smack talk big guy
    Well, make that 3 TK. Leaf's really impressed me last night, especially Schenn. Kadri's shootout goal was beautiful too. I may have to make an appearance in your Toronto thread to praise the way they played :P

Anyways, I will try to post up some thoughts about the game a little later. Bruins didn't play great but there were a few performances that impressed me.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    Well, make that 3 TK. Leaf's really impressed me last night, especially Schenn. Kadri's shootout goal was beautiful too. I may have to make an appearance in your Toronto thread to praise the way they played :P

Anyways, I will try to post up some thoughts about the game a little later. Bruins didn't play great but there were a few performances that impressed me.
    classy 4T2

Ya, Schenn, Kadri, and the Lupul/Kessel/Bozak line played well for us. But Thomas made some beautiful saves, including that one on the penalty shot. Fun game to watch, no doubt.
    "We've had a couple shakers in this place. This year we haven't had the time. We had a couple good ones last year, right?" - Phil Kessel

Dobber Sports Icon

DAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!

I hate the mother$#%#ing backspace key. I had a big spiel wrote highlighting my thoughts on the game last night, particularly Kampfer, Marchand, the Lucic/Rosehill fight and the Bruins piss-poor shootout performance this season. And I lost it all thanks to the backspace key taking me back a page in my browser. Also, this is the second time I've wrote this message. Argh, this is frustrating. Anyone know how to disable. I tried and for some reason it took me to facebook (not the last page visited) the next time I accidentaly hit it.

*EDIT*Nevermind, I think the second time I may have tapped my touchpad by mistake, time to disable that as well. Damn new computer!
    Last edited by 4T2; April 1, 2011 at 10:35 AM.

Dobber Sports Icon

Sorry guys, been busy all weekend and didn't get to see the game or even check the highlights out yet.

Anyways, you'll have to bear with me over the course of April as we are finishing the renovations on the new house and moving in. So weekend's will probably not consist of much (if any posting). Sorry, but sometimes life get's in the way.

Dobber Sports Icon

Default April 4 vs New York Rangers Game Notes

Ugh, the Boston Bruins blew a 3 goal lead. Where have we seen that before. I absolutely HATE typing those words and it's not the first time I've even typed them this season.

Last year, the Black and Gold's biggest problem was not playing a full 60 minutes. We were witness to that again last night. After outshooting the Rags 19-5 in the first period and building a 2-0 lead, the boys figured they had the game in the bag. After Kelly got his first goal as a Bruin, the team kicked back and decided it was time to rest. The energy and desire just wasn't there.

Did they learn nothing from last year? You can't do that against a team that is fighting for it's life.

Two Vinny Prospal goals later, they seemed to wake up a bit a play a little better defensively. But it wouldn't be enough. With 3:48 left to play, Dubinsky snuck one past Thomas. Less than a minute later, Sauer would put slam the coffin lid shut and seal it on the B's night. For good measure Derek Stepan would add another nail right in the center of the coffin lid with a empty-net goal. Dammit Stepan, the league I own you in wrapped up last week!

I hope that brought back some painful memories for the team that broke our hearts last year. I hope they all had nightmares filled with Orange and Black ghosts carrying the Stanley Cup out of their reach. I hope this game serves as a wake-up call to the team.

With all 3 games remaining being against none-playoff clubs, the Bruins need to prove themselves. The Islanders, Senators and Devils games will be a test for this team. It's a chance to prove that they can bounce back from a loss like this and go into the post-season on a winning note.

Shots
    The Bruins had an amazing 19 shots in the first period. That's more than the Oilers usually manage in a full game (I kid, I kid). They would go on to take 11 more over the next 40 minutes. Unacceptable! When these guys want to play, their is nobody better. Too many times have we seen them dominate for a period or two, only to kick back and lose the game (or at least risk it) in the third.

Chris Kelly
    He's starting to look a little better even if he did finish with a minus-1 last night. He netted his first goal as a Bruin, so that should be a huge monkey off his back. He is not being depended on as a offensive player in Boston, but we still expect our 4th-liners to chip in once in awhile. I hope this goal helps him play with a little more confidence.

The Silver Lining
    The one good thing about the Rangers win is that they are now tied with Montreal with 91 points (although the Habs have a game in hand). This increases the chances of the Bruins playing either the Rangers, Buffalo or Carolina in the first round. The bad news is that the Bruins are 8-9-3 combined against those teams. Carolina, the least likely matchup is the only team they may face that they hold a winning record against this season.

That's it for this game. Hopefully I'll get to write a piece praising the Bruins on Thursday morning for bouncing back.

Dobber Sports Icon

Shawn Thornton has been nominated for the Masterton trophy!!!

Good luck buddy, couldn't happen to a harder worker. You derserve it.

http://bruins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...id=DL|BOS|home

Dobber Sports Icon

Sorry I forgot to mention this a few days ago guys.

On April 2, 2011, Brad Marchand got the Bruin's 7th Player Award. The award is for the player who goes "above and beyond the call of duty and exceeded the expectations of Bruins fans during the 2010-11 season".

Great job by the rookie and nice to see a fellow Nova Scotian doing so well in the Black and Gold.

Cool fact from the official press release: The Bruins are 16-1-2 when Marchand scores a goal.

Official release on the Bruins site:
    http://bruins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...id=DL|BOS|home

Dobber Sports Icon

Default April 6, 2011 vs New York Islanders Game Notes

Let me preface this with saying I didn't actually watch the game as something came up. Therefore my notes will be derived from the highlights, recaps and statistics. Unfortunately, you won't be getting any of my usual insight on how the guys actually played.

The Bruins hung on for a 3-2 victory over Michael Grabner... errr... sorry, the New York Islanders last night. From what I can see is that Grabner was a one-man-highlight-reel last night. He had two beautiful goals with one
    coming short-handed.

Tim Thomas
    Tim Thomas made 30 saves while flopping around in the crease. This is something we haven't seen as much of this year. He hasn't been as exciting to watch a lot of nights, but between the W's and reduced risk of a heart-attack, I'll take it. Don't get me wrong, some nights he still looks a lot like Hasek in there, just not as often as he used to.

Shawn Thornton
    My boy picked up his 10th goal of the season last night. That's the first time he's hit double digits in his career. In fact, he now has as many goals this season as he had points last year. That gives him 25-goals in a career that has spanned parts of 8 seasons in the NHL.

He returned after missing the last 3 games to to the 40 stitches in face he got after taking Pisani's skate above his eye. This guy is the toughest SOB in the league.

The 4th Line
    Okay, I've been praising the Bruins 4th line all season. 4th lines don't win you many games, but they sure as hell can lose them. The B's 4th line goes above-and-beyond the call of duty every game. Last night they won it for the team. Campbell and Paille played excellent from what I can see. If these guys keep it up, the Bruins will be able to make a deep playoff run.

The 1st Line
    Wow have they gone cold. Horton and Lucic were the only Bruins to not register a shot on goal. I may not have saw the game, but I find it hard to believe that this was due to superb D from the Isles. According to Ty Anderson, Krejci was benched later in the game.

These guys really need to pick it up. I truly hope it's just a case of them resting themselves for the post-season. Hopefully they will show what they are capable of in the next 2 games though.

That's it for now, 2 more games before the post-season begins. With just the Sens and Devils left to play, hopefully they can sneak into 2nd ahead of the Flyers and avoid and first-round match with the Habs.

Dobber Sports Icon

A few team notes:

Kampfer
    Steven Kampfer has been sent down to Providence. Kampfer's recent struggles and McQuaid's solid play have combined to force this. The Baby B's have 3 games left this season and it will give Kampfer a chance to find his game again incase Boston needs him in the playoffs.

I can't see them relying on the rookie too much in the post-season. McQuaid will be the 6th d-man barring injury and Hnidy has the experience that Boston will be looking for. Unless the Bruins get absolutely decimated by injuries, Kampfer will be watching the boys play from the press box.

3 Top Prospects Get Providence Try-outs
    Carter Camper is an undrafted player from the Miami University RedHawks which is apparently in Ohio, not Florida. Anyways, Camper has scored 183 points in 156 games over his four years there. Let's see what this kid can do at a higher level.

Ryan Spooner will look awfully good with the spoked P on his chest. He had 81 points in 64 games in the OHL this year. The Bruins have no reason to rush him to the NHL, so I think this will be a good preview of how he will play in Providence next year.

Another top prospect in Jared Knight will get a chance to shine. He had 70 points in the OHL this year. Again, he's another player that the Bs will take their time with but Providence would look damn good next year with he and Spooner.

I don't watch much in the way of AHL games, but I may have to find a way to check one out this weekend.