Thread: [2011 Draft Watch] Ranking and Profiling OHLers

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default [2011 Draft Watch] Ranking and Profiling OHLers

Normally I would place this in the Weekly Ramblings thread but this find deserves its own spot in the OHL section.

OHLInsider.com has published their 2011 NHL Entry Draft Rankings that feature the top ranked OHLers available for this June's NHL Draft.

Furthermore, the website provides profiles that outline each players' attritubes (similar to EA Sports video games), has a brief scouting report, comparable current NHL players and video of their play. The material is fantastic.

Check out players like Landeskog, Murphy, Strome, Hamilton, Saad, and many more. Just click on their names in the Ranking Charts and you will have great information.
    Last edited by Dean Youngblood; March 22, 2011 at 11:00 AM.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Just a few personal notes and observations:

- I wouldn't put too much into the rankings themselves but the profiles are extremely helpful for those who don't get to watch a lot of OHL games (especially the longer writeups)

- The comparisons to current NHLers are nice to have but use them with caution. Obviously these player comparables are "best guesses" and it appears they are using them based on the OHLers' style of play (not production). For example, Mark Scheifele was compared to Joe Thornton but that is likely based on the fact that he's a larger body who likes to "pass first". However, some comparables are spot on: Dougie Hamilton= Ryan Suter, Rakell=Eriksson and Landeskog=M. Richards (easy one though)

- In the Rankings there are a few changes I would make. Personally, I would not rank Matt Peumpel above players like Nicklas Jensen Boone Jenner or even Khokhlachev. Jensen is a Top 10 OHL talent in this draft class and the same can be said for Khokhlachev too. Rakell is one player I love to watch in the OHL this season.

- Again, use the profile section as a tool moreso than the Rankings.

- One thing that interests me for the upcoming Entry Draft is where players like Shane Prince (smaller) and Daniel Catenacci will be drafted. I watched Catenacci play a few weeks back and he dominated the game. If he slides a team could be getting a steal. Catenacci should likely be drafted in the late first/early second round.

- One heads up: The writeup under Khokhlachev seems to be for Shane Prince. I contacted the writer and hopefully he fixes it as I am very interested to read about Khokhlachev (now that I have learned how to spell his name).

Those are just a few of my initial thoughts.
    Last edited by Dean Youngblood; March 22, 2011 at 11:38 AM.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Some great info there, thanks DY!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Feel free to post your Top 10 Draft Eligible OHLers.

I will post mine soon

Dobber Sports Grand Master

For me it's gotta be (not fantasy):

1) Gabriel Landeskog
    2) Dougie Hamilton
    3) Ryan Strome
    4) Ryan Murphy
    5) Brandon Saad
    6) Boone Jenner
    7) Shane Prince
    8) Lucas Lessio
    9) Alexander Khokhlachev
    10) Nicklas Jensen

Banned

Nicklas Jensen should be #5 or #6. He'll be drafted in the Top 15.

Administrator

I really dig Catenacci. Reminds me of a younger Andrew Cogliano. Whoever drafts him should use the Cogliano model to see how not to handle Catenacci.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Nicklas Jensen should be #5 or #6. He'll be drafted in the Top 15.
    I couldn't agree more. I have him around the same number as far as OHLers go.

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    I really dig Catenacci. Reminds me of a younger Andrew Cogliano. Whoever drafts him should use the Cogliano model to see how not to handle Catenacci.
    Funny how the Profilers actually compare him to Cogliano. To me, that is a very very accurate comparison.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post
    I couldn't agree more. I have him around the same number as far as OHLers go.

Funny how the Profilers actually compare him to Cogliano. To me, that is a very very accurate comparison.
    Yeah, every now and then you come across one that works. I know for sure it's a hell of a lot better than my Ryan Murphy is MA Bergeron after drinking 10 Red Bulls comparison.
    Last edited by metaldude26; March 23, 2011 at 2:38 PM.

Administrator

I also love that they used Marc Staal as a comparable for Scott Harrington. Personally, I'd say he compares better to Jared.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Very good list Dyz! My rankings are quite similar.

Rankings for me would be (BPA for real NHL GMs)

1. Landeskog
    2. Dougie Hamilton
    3. Ryan Strome
    4. Ryan Murphy
    5. Nicklas Jensen
    6. Brandon Saad
    7. Alexander Khokhlachev
    8. Boone Jenner
    9. Daniel Catenacci
    10. Vladimir Namestnikov

Honourable Mentions (or #11-15)
    11. Shane Prince
    12. Alan Quine
    13. Rickard Rakell
    14. Lucas Lessio
    15. Vincent Trocheck

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    I also love that they used Marc Staal as a comparable for Scott Harrington. Personally, I'd say he compares better to Jared.
    Scott Harrington has been an interesting case. He was once thought of as one of the better defencemen in the draft but Harrington really didn't do much this season to improve his draft stock. I have read recently that he could fall outside of the 2nd round and deep into the 3rd. Harrington was once pegged as a mid-late first rounder.

Dobber Sports Guru

Thanks for posting Dean. I like the profiles a lot, the grades for each facet fo the game really help and the couple of paragraphs on each guy are a good source of info.