Thread: Goalies are the hardest to predict

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Goalies are the hardest to predict

I only play keeper leagues, and my experience has consistently proven to me that one can prioritize goalies lower than you'd think during your draft/auction.

A bold statement, I know. The NHL has shown remarkable fickleness with respect to goalies. Individual teams vary in their goalie commitments, of course, but there are ALWAYS goalies on your waiver wire that will have upside, if you read Goldman.

I stuck with Price for years, because I had him cheaply, and I'm a Habs fan. He's currently the only Hab I own. He's a success story - I compared him once to Belfour, and it was only because of the party rumours - Carey's stats are now golden.

Price is a poor example of my strategy. I go into draft/auctions figuring that any goalies I need to add only need to be good for a few months. Before they lose lustre I can either trade them high, bench them, or replace them from the waiver wire.

Goalies are just that way, statistically. Aren't they?

Dobber Sports Icon

Goalies are very very difficult to predict. However, there are a few guys who I would snag high in a draft if the goalie cats are worth anything at all. I'm talking about guys like Lundqvist and Luongo. You know damn well they are the set starters and are always going to put up solid-to-great numbers. If these guys are available, I'm usually going to grab them.

It really comes down to what the goalie cats weigh in your league. In a league where they are light and peripherals are counted, you can usually wait and snag a surprise of the WW. However, in a lot of very competitive leagues where goalie stats are weighed heavily and other GMs are on the ball, I'd rather not risk getting stuck with guys who could be back-ups by mid-season.

Good points though, definitely can see why you feel this way.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Immortal

I agree with 4T2. I make it a high priority to always nab goalies who are A) guaranteed starters and B) ones who always have the great peripheral stats. Wins are much easier to come by on the WW AND easier to predict than good GAA and SV%.

Unless Im top three in a league, Im always taking a goalie first round.

Dobber Sports Initiate

True. Guaranteed starters on winning teams are always worthwhile keepers. But a year ago, who would have rated Price over Brodeur?

My point is (and the previous posters have reinforced it already): draft your G1 for the peripherals, and you can still use the WW to bolster Wins, on the fly.