Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: All hail the King! (Stephen that is)

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Thanks for updating this thread with that update. I was planning on it but hadn't got around to it yet. I'm across the pond so haven't been able to watch it but I have read the book. Not surprisingly, there are apparently quite a few changes between the book and the series. I enjoyed the book - definitely worth it IMO. Though I'm a big SK fan so I'll read pretty much everything of his if available.
    I loved the book, but haven't enjoyed the TV series much. I'll most likely watch the whole thing though. Its about what you'd expect, some decent acting but also some bad acting. They really changed the story with Big Jim's son - really toned it down (so far).
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Icon

Any King fan will enjoy this:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/louispeitzma...blow-your-mind

I knew of a few of them, but my memory is not good enough for most.
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
    Any King fan will enjoy this:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/louispeitzma...blow-your-mind

I knew of a few of them, but my memory is not good enough for most.
    That's pretty cool. Yeah I knew a bunch as well but I forget some details in some of the stories.

Check this out - it's the Stephen King Universe, in flowchart form. Impressive!

http://tessiedesigncompany.blogspot....flowchart.html

Dobber Sports Immortal

I plan to start the 4th Dark Tower book this weekend!!!!!

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Excellent!

If you haven't already, you should get The Wind Through the Keyhole, which is set in between books 4 and 5.

Dobber Sports Stud

I've never read King before, but I plan on starting this week.

I'd like to ask what would be a good "start off" book for a first-time King reader, but I made the decision myself sort of on impulse. I picked up the first two novels from The Dark Tower series. I plan on reading all eight in order. So I guess my first ever Stephen King novel will be The Gunslinger! Hopefully I made a good choice.
    Go Jets Go

Featured Columnist for the Winnipeg Jets
    http://bleacherreport.com/users/386108-anthony-capocci

Follow for Winnipeg Jets Updates
    www.twitter.com/CapocciJETS

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaSportsFan View Post

I'd like to ask what would be a good "start off" book for a first-time King reader, but I made the decision myself sort of on impulse. I picked up the first two novels from The Dark Tower series. I plan on reading all eight in order. So I guess my first ever Stephen King novel will be The Gunslinger! Hopefully I made a good choice.
    Absolutely a good choice - its not the 'horror' that most think of when they think of King, its fantasy. I think The Gunslinger was the 3rd book of his I read (around 1990 or so) - Christine was the first, and Carrie 2nd.

I'm very close to finishing Joyland - its less than 300 pgs so its more of a short story for him. Its good, but nothing really spectacular.

I just picked up Black House, the sequel to The Talisman, which I read probably 17 years ago. Totally loved it back then, but have obviously forgotten a hell of a lot from it...hopefully I can enjoy the newer one almost 2 decades later!

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Ha! I just started this book, too (I'm on page 90 or so)! I'm getting through these books pretty slowly, because I tend to have a few things I'm reading at once, but I am working my way through the Dark Tower. It's my first King read, and it's been great so far.

Dobber Sports Stud

Absolutely a good choice - its not the 'horror' that most think of when they think of King, its fantasy. I think The Gunslinger was the 3rd book of his I read (around 1990 or so) - Christine was the first, and Carrie 2nd.

I'm very close to finishing Joyland - its less than 300 pgs so its more of a short story for him. Its good, but nothing really spectacular.

I just picked up Black House, the sequel to The Talisman, which I read probably 17 years ago. Totally loved it back then, but have obviously forgotten a hell of a lot from it...hopefully I can enjoy the newer one almost 2 decades later!
    Joyland was one I was considering as well. Considering that it's one of his newer novels, I think I'll wait a few books to read it. I heard good reviews on it though.

Other King books on my list with high priority are Under the Dome (Loving CBS's TV series), The Stand, 11/22/63, The Shining, and The Colorado Kid (because it's loosely based off of SyFy's TV series Haven). It'll probably take me a while to get around to these though. I plan on digging right into The Gunslinger as soon as it arrives in the mail!
    Go Jets Go

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaSportsFan View Post

Hopefully you'll be hooked like us! Yeah that's the best way to read the Dark Tower - all of them in order and nothing in between. That way you will immerse yourself in the story.

Other stand alone novels that I really enjoyed are: The Long Walk, Desperation and It. The Stand is probably my favourite of them all (aside from the Dark Tower).

The Wolverine

Just found out that the Under the Dome TV series will be shown in the UK on Channel 5 later this year. I'll give it a shot and try to keep an open mind, considering I've already read the book and know there are differences. That being said, I've forgotten a fair bit of it so it could feel new anyway. We'll see.

Dobber Sports Icon

Just found out that the Under the Dome TV series will be shown in the UK on Channel 5 later this year. I'll give it a shot and try to keep an open mind, considering I've already read the book and know there are differences. That being said, I've forgotten a fair bit of it so it could feel new anyway. We'll see.
    It's losing me, I have to admit - I'm honestly bored watching it...

...and here's one out of left field - its been renewed for a second season. Yes, I am serious. Doesn't make a lot of sense, besides the fact that the ratings are very good:

http://www.tvrage.com/news/7604/cbs-...-write-episode

The Wolverine

It's losing me, I have to admit - I'm honestly bored watching it...

...and here's one out of left field - its been renewed for a second season. Yes, I am serious. Doesn't make a lot of sense, besides the fact that the ratings are very good:

http://www.tvrage.com/news/7604/cbs-...-write-episode
    13 episodes in the first series and there will be a second one? Hmm I wonder. We'll see what I think of the first one - I don't have a lot of patience for series' that drag/annoy me for whatever reason (I gave up on the Walking Dead half way through series one, episode two).

Dobber Sports Icon

13 episodes in the first series and there will be a second one? Hmm I wonder. We'll see what I think of the first one - I don't have a lot of patience for series' that drag/annoy me for whatever reason (I gave up on the Walking Dead half way through series one, episode two).
    Yeah I'm sure the series was written to end with the 13th episode, I don't know how they are going to take it beyond the book...but they've changed so much already, I guess it doesn't matter anymore.

A bit surprised King is so on board with it - writing the first episode of season 2 and all. His screenplays have never been much, so I am not exactly dripping with anticipation.

Dobber Sports Stud

I don't see how it can go past two seasons. I never read the book, but it's only 1000 pages. I assume the show will have to take a route of its own.
    Go Jets Go